Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you think about it, the movie wasn’t going to make 2 billi like Force Awakens. That kind of nostalgia hype is a factor that is rarely captured since it’s based on timing. There’s a Star Wars movie every year now so the novelty gets worn off.
I'm all star wars'd out.

Casual fan here. Enjoyed TFA thoroughly. I didn't care for Rogue 1. I enjoyed TLJ a little bit.

To me the climaxes all appear the same to me.

I'm beginning to understand how some ppl might feel about the ubiquity of the Marvel movies. I loooooooove the marvel movies so I don't understand how some ppl could be getting tired of cbm but now I see that it must be similar to how I feel about star wars releasing a movie every yr. I was actually going to wait for TLJ to come out via digital rental but the divisive word of mouth got me more curious than anything.

One of my beef with Kylo is that I really don't know what he is so "conflicted" about. Like why was he even seduced by the dark side in the first place?.

Luke says that he thought Kylo was gone, then he thought about killing him, so what was Snoke's angle to get him? Kylo woke up, thinks Luke betrayed him and goes off. Now putting all the plot holes with the Knights of Ren aside, why is he then so pissed at his parents. Because they gave him to Luke? What angle does Snoke have to turn him against them so much. He kills Han, that is suppose to help with his conflict, can't kill Leia for some reason, until the end when he seemingly not conflicted so he comes for her. Even though he was suppose to put all of Snoke's BS in behind him....................BTW, let us have one more Facetime moment regarding this struggle love story even though we explicitly said Snoke was the one who connected their minds, and Snoke is now dead.

And all the dudes defending Rian and calling TFA just a New Hope remix. No matter how much truth there is to it. Let not forget that Rey going to Kylo was a Return of the Jedi remix. But in Return of the Jedi, and at least a son going to try to save his dad makes sense. Rey is going to save Kylo because of some damn face time dates?

Man please.

Luke Skywalker was more interesting than Rey

Anakin Skywalker was more interesting than Kylo

JJ Abrams has to come clean up Rian's story mess.

Anakin was relentlessly shut down and told he’s not capable yet as a Jedi Knight, despite his obvious power. The council wouldn’t let him be great. And the dark side also lured him by promising to save the mother of his child.

Kylo thus far seems like a wack *** cat who had two great parents and a powerful, caring uncle. And luke getting caught with his lightsaber in his hands standing over him feels very un Jedi like.

Finally saw it. Very mediocre. Franchise is border line washed at this point.

MCU is the new generation's "Star Wars" :pimp:

4/8

Kevin Feige is what happens when someone right is piloting the ship and knows what the fans want.

Kathleen Kennedy and her agenda’s on the other hand...:rolleyes

No matter what you thought of movie, this is one of most comprehensive breakdowns, references and easter eggs vid. Not bad.

Does Disney not QA scripts or something? Like how does that whole process work?

Is there no dedicated team, INDEPENDENT of the scriptwriter/director, who gets paid handsomely just to read, reread, and re-reread the script just so they can point out/challenge plotholes and all around dumb ****?

Dooku said they were blinded by the Sith. In combination with their arrogance ( and other things) led to downfall of the Jedi.
Yeah, there was that whole scene with Yoda saying they couldn't tap in to the force the same way and were basically blinded.
It would seem easy from the viewers perspective but think about this:

At the end of Episode I, Mace and Yoda wondered if the Sith master or the apprentice died. Probably in their arrogance, prominence in the galaxy (a whole freaking planet called Jedha with enormous, mountain like Jedi statues were around) were like “Ehh, this was nothing but a tax dispute. We took out a bad *** with double sabers, we good.” The whole galaxy was in a age of peace would they really need to be concerned about a possibly dead Sith Lord based on a tax dispute with a planet like Naboo?

Episode II, Dooku, who left the Jedi, told Obi-Wan everything about the Sidious. Even proposed a offer to join him but he refused. Obi didn’t believe Dooku and at the end of the movie he went to Yoda and Mace and told them what was said. In combination of the “shroud of the dark side falling,” arrogance, and different politicians (no full dictatorship yet) with different agendas, it wasn’t quite clear if there was a “Dark Lord Of The Sith” pulling strings. Also, remember they still weren’t sure if the master or the apprentice was killed.

In Episode III, by the time Palpatine became a full dictator it was too late. The Jedi figured it out but Order 66 dropped and that was the end of the Jedi Order.

For me, the Jedi weren’t dumb. Sidious was just that powerful, cunning, and strategic. With him being THE Sith Lord, coupled with the above, made sense for why he convertly took over.
Another key thing to keep in mind is Sidious didn't strictly stick to the rule of 2 so that would also throw the Jedi off about if it was the master or apprentice that died.

First Maul shows up and then 10 years later Dooku shows up asking Obi to join him. So just think if they made assumptions, they'd think Dooku was the master and Maul the apprentice and was slightly lying to Obi-Wan about who was pulling the strings.

Account for the Jar Jar theory and he wqs probably the 3rd Sith apprentice that would've showed up in III.

Where the **** did Finn learn to drive/fly/pilot ****!? It's an explicit plot point in TFA that he can't fly anything!

Why is he flying speeders in this?

GAH!

Finn didn't know what he was doing and took a straight line to the cannon. Didn't even know to put down the stabilizer anchor or whatever it was. You could tell he wasnt a pilot still.

Some of y'alls complaints are dumb af. No shots but some people in here are actively trying to convince yourselves to dislike this movie, because a couple choices were made that you don't agree with.

Finn didn't know what he was doing and took a straight line to the cannon. Didn't even know to put down the stabilizer anchor or whatever it was. You could tell he wasnt a pilot still.

Some of y'alls complaints are dumb af. No shots but some people in here are actively trying to convince yourselves to dislike this movie, because a couple choices were made that you don't agree with.

I'd love to hear your rebuttal to some of these other "dumb af" complaints, because I think they're rather valid criticisms of a mediocre script

Actually, this video, which I have already posted, literally laid out everything that to me makes this movie a sophmoric mess. Feel free to watch it

Does Disney not QA scripts or something? Like how does that whole process work?

Is there no dedicated team, INDEPENDENT of the scriptwriter/director, who gets paid handsomely just to read, reread, and re-reread the script just so they can point out/challenge plotholes and all around dumb ****?

My boy wondered the same thing. He was like "Did no one proofread this script and point out the obvious glaring flaws? If I was a film professor this would not be an A."

Where the **** did Finn learn to drive/fly/pilot ****!? It's an explicit plot point in TFA that he can't fly anything!

Why is he flying speeders in this?

GAH!

The little asian girl went from being a repairman or whatever the hell she was to being a pilot as well. Something I made sure to point out right when I saw it.

No shots but some people in here are actively trying to convince yourselves to dislike this movie, because a couple choices were made that you don't agree with.

I really want to like this movie but it just gave me so many reasons not to.

Well I rebutted that complaint of Finn. Don't think I don't have issues with the film either, I've already outlined those thoughts back when the film came out. But twisting details to meet your thoughts of the film does an injustice to the things that worked. I'll watch that video sometime soon. As it stands, I rewatched last night and enjoyed the film even more. Canto Bight still a ridiculous and useless plot point, and a waste of Finn.

If you think about it, the movie wasn’t going to make 2 billi like Force Awakens. That kind of nostalgia hype is a factor that is rarely captured since it’s based on timing. There’s a Star Wars movie every year now so the novelty gets worn off.
Nah b.

If this was 99% well received and the word of mouth was ust is as good or better than ESB and way better than TFA this wouldve reached a cool 2 billi.

Last edited:
Well I rebutted that complaint of Finn. Don't think I don't have issues with the film either, I've already outlined those thoughts back when the film came out. But twisting details to meet your thoughts of the film does an injustice to the things that worked. I'll watch that video sometime soon. As it stands, I rewatched last night and enjoyed the film even more. Canto Bight still a ridiculous and useless plot point, and a waste of Finn.

There are def issues with the film, but dudes are being wild extra.

Just left the movie theater. Well that was different. Told my guys: we grew up with the Original Trilogy. The Prequels weren't made for us and The Sequels aren't made for us.

Wasn't really into the Episode before and this movie just confirms that the Sequels are not My Star Wars. Action sequences only best thing. Kinda goes on and on.

Just hope all standalone movies are good.
In for The Bad Guys and good stories.
TIE Pilot Lives Matter.

1st-order.gif

its not the technology. the lighting and production design had nothing to do with technology, its just bad filmaking.

none of that other stuff you wrote is convincing, imo it was painfully obvious who the sith lord was, jedi's were wild dumb.

Eh, don’t act like you would’ve figured it out and not been slaughtered by emo anakin like the rest of the padawans.

Been saying the same thing for days now. I rewatched TFA just now and it made TLJ more cohesive and made more sense. The attention to detail and continuity from BB8's antenna to Finn and Rey's friendship as well as Finn's tendencies. They definitely executed well. The more I watch the two films, the less surprised I am about Luke's appearance and personality.

Keep an open mind and hold all your pre conceived notions of what things should be. This is cannon now, people that are superfans that work at Disney are controlling where this is going. They handled Han Solo's return well, Leia's story has been expanded, they even did Yoda justice. As for Luke...

Luke went into seclusion BECAUSE he failed as a Jedi. Dude feared what he saw and made a split second mistake. That is possible, Luke ain't perfect unlike what we think. These flaws and ticks create a more interesting story because it's relatable and realistic. Luke ain't Jesus. In fact, Luke made mistakes previously.

If you still dislike this film, there's nothing more to do here. You for sure will not find anything you'll like moving forward.

For us that enjoyed and understand it, it's a great time to be a Star Wars fan because the lore is being expanded while keeping the core concepts that made it great intact.

For us that enjoyed and understand it

"One day two swindlers came to the emperor's city. They said that they were weavers, claiming that they knew how to make the finest cloth imaginable. Not only were the colors and the patterns extraordinarily beautiful, but in addition, this material had the amazing property that it was to be invisible to anyone who was incompetent or stupid."

"It would be wonderful to have clothes made from that cloth, thought the emperor. "Then I would know which of my men are unfit for their positions, and I'd also be able to tell clever people from stupid ones." So he immediately gave the two swindlers a great sum of money to weave their cloth for him."

• Hans Christian Anderson, The Emperors New Clothes

Kevin Feige is what happens when someone right is piloting the ship and knows what the fans want.

Kathleen Kennedy and her agenda’s on the other hand...:rolleyes
I'm not ready yet to **** on KK's helming of this ship.

TFA was a rehash but paid off. TLJ was different but just not in the best direction.

I don't see much else to be mad at her about agenda wise. Directors get fired all the time. Feige does it often.

Expanded lore my ***. They got rid of all the expanded lore and then spent millions on a movie that continually tells the fans to get over it and move on.
Oh you thought Kylo was talking to Rey when he kept telling her to let go of the past and move on? Nah ***** that was Disney themselves talking to all of us watching.

Back
Top Bottom