Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm pretty sure that pic of him in the vid is the first time I've ever seen the guy. And I was never that interested to watch interviews about SW or any of the shows.

I would ask though how come he wasn't ever brought on to write or direct a SW movie if he's George's protege? Like literal protege as in he's been under his tutelage and groomed to be a director and tell SW stories?

Once he sold Lucasfilm, it was out of his hands. You think Bob Iger would have agreed to a sale with the stipulation being let Filoni run the show? Kathleen was a methodical pick even though she’s just not a great content creator.

Once he sold Lucasfilm, it was out of his hands. You think Bob Iger would have agreed to a sale with the stipulation being let Filoni run the show? Kathleen was a methodical pick even though she’s just not a great content creator.
Nah, I'm not even saying they make that stipulation. I'm not even asking why he wasn't put in charge.

I'm talking ever since then why he wasn't considered to direct something after the sale or at the very least write a script for any movie. Given they (Disney) would want to put their best foot forward with Lucasfilm.

Nah, I'm not even saying they make that stipulation. I'm not even asking why he wasn't put in charge.

I'm talking ever since then why he wasn't considered to direct something after the sale or at the very least write a script for any movie. Given they (Disney) would want to put their best foot forward with Lucasfilm.

Just like Mark Hamil has been saying in every interview in how his ideas are constantly brushed off, Disney has their vision and their people they go with and it's their way or the highway.

Dave was George Lucas's padawan but in the eyes of Disney/Kathleen/Igor, etc, he's probably just the "Cartoon Director". It's not the first time someone's been overlooked or pigeon-holed at a company.

Just like Mark Hamil has been saying in every interview in how his ideas are constantly brushed off, Disney has their vision and their people they go with and it's their way or the highway.

Dave was George Lucas's padawan but in the eyes of Disney/Kathleen/Igor, etc, he's probably just the "Cartoon Director". It's not the first time someone's been overlooked or pigeon-holed at a company.
Well yeah that kinda goes back to what I said about the Bruce Timm comparison.

Its not going to happen cuz all they see him as is the guy that does the cartoons.

Perhaps George should've put him on a bigger platform before selling. Its not like he really thought his suggestions and recommendations would be done by Disney and whoever they put in charge coming off of the prequels. Besides its not like Kathleen is some complete stranger.

He was put in charge of something. Clone wars.

George was done making movies they started the series.
That's not good enough if all of a sudden ppl are saying he should be put in charge of a film studio. They not making animated movies like Pixar.

Anybody can do content, but it's the quality and care that this franchise seems to be missing. With the PT being what they are in peoples eyes, Disney was supposed to bring SW back to greatness. I'm sure people can defend that Disney has done that with the amount of money they raked in but like Master Zik Master Zik said, they're literally only 1 for 4 right now:smh:

Star Wars "should" be on par with Marvel in knocking out home runs one after another. With people talking positively about the them. Instead, Star Wars movies are just a tad above DC ones where you have to defend them to the majority of people.

1 for 4? So now we're going backwards and re-calculating scores? TFA was an enormous smash and had people raving left and right. Yes, people compared it as a soft reboot, but everyone was still in with both feet and geeked for what was next.
Rogue One did not fail, at all.
And Solo is not even out, and we're already giving it a fail.

You are right, this is like the DC thread where folks don't even have to watch the movie but can give full reviews. :lol:

I look at it this way, so far, they are 3 for 3 making movies better than the prequels that almighty George Lucas was in charge of. For my money, that's a step in the right direction. They also nailed Rebels, and now we'll see what Solo brings, what IX brings, and what the Rian trilogy adds, as well as the GoT folks. Add it all up, I'm perfectly fine with what Kathleen has done. Certainly I wish they wouldn't have closed off the majority of the EU, but they have brought some of it back in, so that's a positive sign. I wish we had a Fett OR Bounty Hunters film/series by now, but I'm patient, and I have high hopes that eventually we'll see an Old Republic film(s).

Again, Kennedy or Filoni, I'm fine with either of them, bottom line, the franchise which was thought to be closed forever on screen is back and giving me yearly content, no way I am knocking Kennedy, or Disney for what they've done.

Well yeah that kinda goes back to what I said about the Bruce Timm comparison.

Its not going to happen cuz all they see him as is the guy that does the cartoons.

Perhaps George should've put him on a bigger platform before selling. Its not like he really thought his suggestions and recommendations would be done by Disney and whoever they put in charge coming off of the prequels. Besides its not like Kathleen is some complete stranger.

That's not good enough if all of a sudden ppl are saying he should be put in charge of a film studio. They not making animated movies like Pixar.

You're doing exactly what we're assuming Disney is doing with Filoni, "oh he just makes cartoons". Filoni, throughout the years has provided Star Wars fans with some of the best Star Wars stories bar none. It has nothing to do with animation, it has everything to do with story. He is an incredible writer, creator, and director.

Filoni might be new to you, but Star Wars fans have been calling for something similar to this for YEARS. I honestly think George would have let him direct a movie had he not sold the rights to Star Wars (he did after all have story treatments for the new trilogy he was planning). But George picked Kathleen to run Lucasfilm because of her track record, and her connection to George. Bob Iger would not have approved Filoni to be in charge of Lucasfilm.

I don't see how Kathleen and Filoni can't both work alongside each other. Kathleen should run Lucasfilm, but Star Wars needs a creative leader, because Kathleen isn't that. If Filoni were in charge of the creative decision, there would be a more cohesive direction overall.

I said 1 out of 3 at worst. Potentially 1 out of 4 given nobody has faith in Solo.

You're doing exactly what we're assuming Disney is doing with Filoni, "oh he just makes cartoons".
I'm not doing it. I'm just being practical. It doesn't matter how much you praise him and give the details to his resume and circumstance behind it. That's not going to cut it. He has no films or critically acclaimed live action series in his bag so he's not gonna get" a fair look or a look at all.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be considered. I'm telling you why he won't be.

Bruce Timm creates great DC animated films and series. Classics on his resume. Has done it literally for decades. He's not getting considered as the guy who should take over creatively for the DCEU. That's not how these businesses com.only work. Its not always whose best for the job but who is there at the right time with the right directions that is able to sell his ideas and why hes right for the job to those on charge.

These studios aren't thinking out the box to even look in these other media departments of their multimedia company.

This is just the reality of things.

Lucasfilm would have to be in a poor state and then dozens of movie producers would have to pass before they looked within to another division for somebody to get that consideration. Plus they'd have to be heavily cosigned by superiors.

If he's that great as you claim, perhaps he should branch out and build a film resume, make great movies and then get tapped. I mean James Gunn ended up being creatively in charge of all Marvel cosmic going forward cuz of his success and ideas before getting GotG.

As far as working together, its not that they can't. Its that they see no reason to.

1 for 4? So now we're going backwards and re-calculating scores?

I’m not talking for anybody else but me. Initial scores to movies don’t matter to me because it’s when you really think about them that you realize if you really enjoyed it, or was just caught up in the hype, so yes, I’m going back to recalculate scores.

Besides Rogue One, I don’t feel like Ep. 7 or 8 has any replay-ability with me and I’ll group those two movies with Ep. 1 & 2 where I would never deliberately watch them unless someone wants to do a marathon or it’s on TNT in the background.

And the way I treat DC movies are I don’t expect much, so I’m neither disappointed nor have been won over after watching it, which I’m pretty sure how I’ll feel about Solo. I’m sure it’ll be good due to my lack of expectations but that’s not saying much so yes, TO ME, Disney is 1/3 so if I stay indifferent to Solo after seeing it, that’ll probably be 1/4 after Solo. Even if I like it and it’s 2/2, that’s still a disappointing average for them.

8776F691-2901-4C48-A17A-CFC795943CC3.jpeg
4BE800FC-28FE-4672-B353-6A6D59BA0367.jpeg

Just the beginning of the Star Wars LEGO sets, I have a few more ready to be built as soon as I’m through with this quarter in school. First new one to be built will be the UCS Slave 1.

**** Kathleen Kennedy, **** JJ Abrams and a special **** you to Rian “The Hack” Johnson
I wouldn't go this far, but that "know how the cheese is made" quote from Kathleen a while back rubbed me the wrong way. Just let's me know we'll never see the real potential of this franchise under her.

:smh: @ those posters.

Did they think no one was gonna find out about it?! Or did they think they would actually get away with it? :rolleyes

Back
Top Bottom