Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Finally saw it last week. Usually go on opening night, but what I was hearing about the movie made me pause this time.

So they decided no powerful male heroes?

Poe get demoted by one female, then put in his place by another.
Kylo already weaker than Rey, but now he is super emo and looks like a whipped puppy in most of his scenes.
Luke has given up on life and is a useless hermit despite still being the most powerful Jedi at that point in the movie.
Finn can't even decide to commit suicide without a female overruling him. Then she CLAIMS him. Man don't even get to decide his own romantic interests. Plus he has to be saved at the end by Rey along with all of the other men.
Even the First Order brass are made to look like idiots. Of course the females of the Rebellion are master strategists with the long game on lock.
Who even comes up with this stuff?

My hope for this movie was that Rey goes darkside with Kylo. Finn discovers force sensitivity and takes out Rey and eventually has the showdown with Kylo who should be more powerful.

Instead Disney eyeing a market for pink lightsabers.

I mean, what's left?
TFA they killed off the last real man in the franchise with Solo.
TLJ cut the lightsabers off all the men. Ep IX gonna be set in Themyscira.

Pirates of the Caribbean dead men tell no tales and that mummy movie from last summer made more than Star Wars on their opening weekends in China. China doesn’t like Star Wars :lol:

I compare Star Wars to Major League Baseball. Rich history, very loyal fan base that expects things to be a certain way, urgently trying to attract new fans, and is actually still making tons of money despite not being the best in its industry (films/sports) in most peoples' eyes.

Part of the struggle that comes with trying to tap into a newer market, and attracting new fans, is essentially getting them to buy into things with long histories and traditions that they may not care about. Also, if you abandon these things, or stray too far, then you risk losing your actual fan base and thus becoming less valuable overall.

Fact of the matter is Disney has come to the idea that China won't ever really care about Star Wars. Their investment in marketing in China for TLJ was reported to be a lot less than Ep. 7 and Rogue One.

Finally saw it last week. Usually go on opening night, but what I was hearing about the movie made me pause this time.

So they decided no powerful male heroes?

Poe get demoted by one female, then put in his place by another.
Kylo already weaker than Rey, but now he is super emo and looks like a whipped puppy in most of his scenes.
Luke has given up on life and is a useless hermit despite still being the most powerful Jedi at that point in the movie.
Finn can't even decide to commit suicide without a female overruling him. Then she CLAIMS him. Man don't even get to decide his own romantic interests. Plus he has to be saved at the end by Rey along with all of the other men.
Even the First Order brass are made to look like idiots. Of course the females of the Rebellion are master strategists with the long game on lock.
Who even comes up with this stuff?

My hope for this movie was that Rey goes darkside with Kylo. Finn discovers force sensitivity and takes out Rey and eventually has the showdown with Kylo who should be more powerful.

Instead Disney eyeing a market for pink lightsabers.
I mean, what's left?

Didn't Finn kill Captain Phasma...? Meanwhile Luke is here doing god-level **** and Poe is basically the 3rd lead next to Rey and kylo.

You're overreacting a little.

And I mean, it's not like prior to TFA there was a female protagonist in the universe. I want good characters. Who cares about their genders.

uh, first order has nothing but strong male leaders.
Poe went through a teaching moment but I still felt like he did well.

Nothing new here anyway, Star Wars has always been the first to push for strong female leads THROUGHOUT all of canon.

Didn't Finn kill Captain Phasma...? You're overreacting a little.

And I mean, it's not like prior to TFA there was a female protagonist in the universe. I want good characters. Who cares about their genders.

And Poe is basically the 3rd lead next to Rey and kylo.
The floor gave way beneath her. He was near her when she died...lol.

I edited my response to include Luke as well and meant female besides Leia. I think the absence of masculinity criticisms are a bit MR alarmist.

I mean, what's left?
I would love to see a pink lightsaber. no one cried when we got a purple one.
we just picking and choosing eh? nothing wrong with pink fam

Solo is doing ANOTHER set of reshoots next month.

Another mess of a Star Wars film incoming.
reshoots happen in ALL productions. especially the big ones. nothing new here.

I've got nothing against strong female leads when done right. Rogue One is an example of that. When it feels forced then I'm kinda over it. Especially at the expense of other characters who happen to be male. This was Luke's time to be the boss. They just kinda whimpered him out with one display of his power. Yeah it was a powerful display but it felt like an afterthought imo.

Finn should be next up.

None of us know Good or Bad. Even R1 last third was overhauled. Wait for it. Don't get backed into corner.

lR9pTMr.gif

Solo is doing ANOTHER set of reshoots next month.

Another mess of a Star Wars film incoming.

Yes, reshoots really killed Rogue One. :rolleyes

On Tuesday, on Reddit’s r/StarWarsLeaks, a poster named Hufflepuffins shared a second-hand update regarding the status of Solo, now under the direction of Ron Howard. Hufflepuffins said reshoots for Solo are happening “from the end of January and will be going on for three weeks or so into Feb (at least).” Though Hufflepuffins even says this is not “huge news,” it’s still “something.”

Hufflepuffins got that second hand info. :smokin

EXACTLY. no one knows if it's a flashback scene. an end credit whatever. a tiny detail.
no one knows, reacting over reshoots is pointless.

case in point:
https://www.theverge.com/2017/1/15/...ne-reshoots-disney-gareth-edwards-tony-gilroy

Did you like Rogue One? Then sit down and wait til the movie drops. LMAO

REPORT: Childish Gambino decided to record music WHILE shooting Solo.
REPORT: Emilia Clarke farted while shooting
Niketalk:
giphy_7.gif

I compare Star Wars to Major League Baseball. Rich history, very loyal fan base that expects things to be a certain way, urgently trying to attract new fans, and is actually still making tons of money despite not being the best in its industry (films/sports) in most peoples' eyes.

Part of the struggle that comes with trying to tap into a newer market, and attracting new fans, is essentially getting them to buy into things with long histories and traditions that they may not care about. Also, if you abandon these things, or stray too far, then you risk losing your actual fan base and thus becoming less valuable overall.

Fact of the matter is Disney has come to the idea that China won't ever really care about Star Wars. Their investment in marketing in China for TLJ was reported to be a lot less than Ep. 7 and Rogue One.

Outside of N.America, the rest of the world could care less about SW. I emigrated to Canada in the mid-90s and had no idea why people were high about it as it looked horribly dated and there were better TV/movies since then. The video/computer games at the time were quite good though. There was a ton of hype about the Lucas prequels which ranged from mediocre to slightly above average then there was another long hiatus.

FWIW, different cultures have different movie tastes. There's also the fact that this movie pushes the female protagonist agenda a bit too hard and it may not sit with viewers there.

Last edited:
All these posts about China movie industry habits are a bit of a reach without context: Commies limit the numbers, times, the places, the whatever for all movies domestic and especially foreign. Never going to get an accurate read on their Market. The fact that it's showing there is already a Win and when you see these movies start popping up in their popular culture is a more telling trend.

_87466935_hi029703657.jpg

Back
Top Bottom