Stats you wish existed in sports

If you make a pass to a player who ends up getting an easy trip to the foul line, an assist should be rewarded if he converts a free throw.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

^ I pass to you, you pass to a guy who hits a 3.

You and me both get an assist.

I'm sorry but that's dumb, so your telling me everyone on the floor touches the ball everyone gets the assist ?Hockey it makes sense cause it's such a low, in basketball everyone is gonna average like 20
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

If you make a pass to a player who ends up getting an easy trip to the foul line, an assist should be rewarded if he converts a free throw.
Ive always thought that you should get some credit for a good pass that puts your teammate in the position to make a bucket but get fouled. But like Mez said, it would mess up any current assist record. So maybe a separate category.

Also like its been said Hockey assists but previous statement applies to this also.

And please some1 start tracking flops. It has to get under control. Because with the last week or so of the season and the playoffs so far. It is starting to look like a real problem when the faces of the league are doing it and being called out on it by fans on a nightly basis.

Originally Posted by AllenIversonFan01

But like Mez said, it would mess up any current assist record.

So what? The game constantly changes. New rules and regulations that make it easier/harder to excel in some statistical category are constantly introduced anway.

In 1960, because of how the game was played, there were over 70 rebounds available to be grabbed during an average pro basketball game. In 2000, that number has changed to just over 40. Is it fair that a 6'5 player could grab 19 rebounds per game and the big men stars could grab 25-30 rebounds per game in 1960 thereby preventing anyone who played modern basketball to make an attempt at most of the rebounding related records?

The introduction of the 3 point line in 1979 messed up field goal percentage related records for perimeter players.

The shrinking of the 3 second area in 1964 had a major impact on every statistical category for the big men.

And most of all, the introduction of the shot clock in 1954 had an enormous impact on all statistical categories for every basketball player.

It is just ridiculous that a guy can make a great pass to an open teammate right under the basket, and if the opponent does a hard foul on the player in order to prevent a momentum boosting dunk and sends him to the free throw line, the guy responsible for creating this situation gets no recognition whatsoever on the box score.

Flops, Hockey assists and I feel like an assist should definitley be awarded if both free throws are made.

All I want are stats that PROPERLY measure good defense in basketball -- not blocks and steals. I know that it sorta exists but that kind of info is extremely hard to find. I know some NBA teams have professional stats teams that measure things (for example, opponents points per possession when Player A is guarding 1 on 1), but that info isn't released. It's also further complicated by the fact that individual defense mixes in with team defense so it's not always "fair", but if some magical stat could show us who were the truly good defenders were (not just block and rebound leaders like DPOY often depends on and definitely not just "reputation"), our perception of a lot of players would change.

Frankly, we have enough offensive stats, and almost all advanced stats depend largely on those offensive stats. We're at a point where we actually can statistically measure the best offensive players quite well, but on the defensive end we're nowhere even close.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Originally Posted by AllenIversonFan01

But like Mez said, it would mess up any current assist record.

So what? The game constantly changes. New rules and regulations that make it easier/harder to excel in some statistical category are constantly introduced anway.

In 1960, because of how the game was played, there were over 70 rebounds available to be grabbed during an average pro basketball game. In 2000, that number has changed to just over 40. Is it fair that a 6'5 player could grab 19 rebounds per game and the big men stars could grab 25-30 rebounds per game in 1960 thereby preventing anyone who played modern basketball to make an attempt at most of the rebounding related records?

The introduction of the 3 point line in 1979 messed up field goal percentage related records for perimeter players.

The shrinking of the 3 second area in 1964 had a major impact on every statistical category for the big men.

And most of all, the introduction of the shot clock in 1954 had an enormous impact on all statistical categories for every basketball player.

It is just ridiculous that a guy can make a great pass to an open teammate right under the basket, and if the opponent does a hard foul on the player in order to prevent a momentum boosting dunk and sends him to the free throw line, the guy responsible for creating this situation gets no recognition whatsoever on the box score.
I feel you. I've brought the same thing up in other threads too. I was just speaking on why I think the league wouldnt do it. But I think the 3 stats I said in my thread are definitely stats that should be recorded.

Originally Posted by K Town Trash

A player feeds B player who is cutting towards the basket

B player gets fouled, makes at least 1 free throw.

A player is awarded with an assist.

I swear to God on my life, I always thought of this being a possibility; BUT ONLY if the player makes both free-throws. Completing an actual 2-point and rewarding player A for setting up player B for completing that.

I see I wasn't the only one that thought about this
laugh.gif
 this is exactly why I mess with forums/15.

Im not sure this directly applies to the topic, but it kind of does.....

I hate when a closer comes in to the game in the top 9th inning, blows the save but escapes the inning with the game tied.....then his team goes on to score in the bottom of the 9th inning, giving said closer the win.

There HAS to be a better way to do this. There is absolutely no way that said closer should be credited with a win in this all too frequent scenario.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Originally Posted by K Town Trash

A player feeds B player who is cutting towards the basket

B player gets fouled, makes at least 1 free throw.

A player is awarded with an assist.
I've always wanted this ti happen, but be awarded when you make both free throws.
It would skew a lot of records though so I always end up being 50/50 on it

Yep. 
Skew records?  Who knows what records there will be held in like 90 years it's not like we will know. 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Since I can't think of anything logical, I want superstitious free throw stats. 
After a commentator says "He's made 21 straight from the line..." and clank. What's the jinx % on that? Can someone finally keep track of that? 

2nd one is a little more out there and a personal one: I seriously want to know what the % of FT's are made/miss when the camera angle is behind the FT shooter from the opposite end of the court. I swear it's like 50% at best, they never go in. Conversely, when the camera is under the basket looking out at the FT shooter - they never miss. Watch once in a while, maybe I'm crazy but I swear this happens. 

laugh.gif
 I've also thought of BOTH of those too. Example: when Jose Calderon was close to the consecutive FT record, it wasn't just when they talked about it, the second they flashed the graphic showing the all-time leaders? Clank! [he was 3 or 4 made FTs away iirc]

The camera angle one: I've noticed it for 3 pointers as well. And also when I'm at the game, 3 pointers never go in when I do the stand-up-as-shooter-releases-the-ball

Can you imagine a commentator though...

"if Garnett can manage to knock down this 2nd free throw here, Rondo will be awarded with his 10th assist of the game".

..that sounds pretty normal, I would like to see that applied to the NBA some day.

Number of times a player looks into the stands to see if his wife and girlfriend are getting too close.

Originally Posted by PMatic

"Hockey assists" in the NBA.

This.
And A.T.F. (Assists to free throws). Maybe ATFs would be counted in the same column as "hockey assists." The logic is that it could have been an assist had the opponent played legally. Furthermore, it leads to directly a penalty that can cause immediate strategic changes by the opponent (2 fouls in 1st qtr, player sits; 6 fouls, disqualification). I think both stats would quell a lot of the "bad passer" marks some guys have against them. 

Can anyone elaborate on why either of these is a "bad" idea? I think it holds just as much, if not more weight than plus/minus

Animal Thug1539 wrote:
Can you imagine a commentator though...

"if Garnett can manage to knock down this 2nd free throw here, Rondo will be awarded with his 10th assist of the game".

..that sounds pretty normal, I would like to see that applied to the NBA some day.

Another good concept. I'd go with: All free-throws made, "Assist." Any split in free-throws, "Hockey Assist/ATF." 

How many assists would John Stockton have if the NBA counted the times his passes led to Karl Malone getting free throws??

Originally Posted by PMatic

How many assists would John Stockton have if the NBA counted the times his passes led to Karl Malone getting free throws??

Crazy to think about. What would be the quickest way to find out how many of Malone's points came from free throws? One could guestimate from there. 
You'd have to take the ratio of Malone's total shots made to shots assisted by Stockton (if you can find it), then apply that ratio to his total free throws made divided by 2.  

Back
Top Bottom