Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by bLaZ3n

I have been drinking ON Whey Gold Standard Shakes for 2-3 weeks now, and haven't seen much gains.

Is there a certain "time-frame" after workouts I should be drinking my shake? Because, as of now I do my workout, then do a 35 minute cardio section, then go home and drink my shake.. is this okay? I heard, for best results that 20-30 mins right after you lift weights is the ideal time to drink the shake.. is that a "rumor".. can someone shed some light on this topic?

Thanks..
Supplements themselves won't give you "gains".  What sort of "gains" are you looking for?  If you're expecting to get bigger, then you need to eat more, or cut out your cardio.

^ Drink it after.. its fine. Protein alone or 'shakes' wont do $$**, its all bout the BIG picture, consistent diet + consistent workout = success. Oh yeah.. don't forget the biggest supplement or element which can speed up any of your gains/losses is PATIENCE.

If you eat well, workout well.. your going to accomplish your goals.

Ive been slacking of my gym/diet lately.. $$**, its geting worse. Its like I eat junk 2-3x a week now, its the only thing stoping me getting those abs!!

If your diet is on point, and you eat a piece of cake in the same day, does it really kill your diet?

Originally Posted by nanbeezy

If your diet is on point, and you eat a piece of cake in the same day, does it really kill your diet?
If your diet is on point, you aint gonna be eating a piece of cake
grin.gif

laugh.gif
but to answer your question, I say no. If its like a once a week/while type a deal; go for it.

ChewToy112 wrote:
Originally Posted by bLaZ3n

I have been drinking ON Whey Gold Standard Shakes for 2-3 weeks now, and haven't seen much gains.

Is there a certain "time-frame" after workouts I should be drinking my shake? Because, as of now I do my workout, then do a 35 minute cardio section, then go home and drink my shake.. is this okay? I heard, for best results that 20-30 mins right after you lift weights is the ideal time to drink the shake.. is that a "rumor".. can someone shed some light on this topic?

Thanks..
Supplements themselves won't give you "gains".  What sort of "gains" are you looking for?  If you're expecting to get bigger, then you need to eat more, or cut out your cardio.

Originally Posted by I3

^ Drink it after.. its fine. Protein alone or 'shakes' wont do $$**, its all bout the BIG picture, consistent diet + consistent workout = success. Oh yeah.. don't forget the biggest supplement or element which can speed up any of your gains/losses is PATIENCE.

If you eat well, workout well.. your going to accomplish your goals.

Ive been slacking of my gym/diet lately.. $$**, its geting worse. Its like I eat junk 2-3x a week now, its the only thing stoping me getting those abs!!

Thanks for the responses.

I was told that the Whey Protein is good for building muscle mass? am I wrong? Which was what I was leaning towards when I mentioned "gains".

Link: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/whey.html

I have a nice diet, I only eat home cooked food, and have completed eliminated junk food from my diet. I eat 2-3 meals a day, and do cardio daily.

I saw some stuff about the Paleo diet on the previous page. Ive been on it the past two weeks because my girl is crazy into crossfit and they all preach it. She promised that if I got on it that she would cook all my meals so I tried it out.

Currently on week 2 and although I'm not sticking straight to the guidelines (still eat eggs, drink coffee, salad dressing, get crunk 2-3 times a week), Ive lost some BF% and gained some LBM with no cardio. I thought I was going to lose a lot of mass/strength but the opposite is occurring. Its easy because I !#%%%+* love fruit, honestly I'll crush a !#%%%+* apple up and snort it like some Peruvian raw off my chicks *******, son.

Its a great diet for beginners who are trying to get serious about about their food intake because it changes your aesthetics about food, basically helping you make better choices by now having a better grasp on the value of food. For instance time on the diet will make you think twice before you pick up that cookie or cake. Even on wasted nights I'll shoot past the fast food joints and pick up a rotisserie chicken at the super market then just devour it.

Asking this question I'm going to say your diet isn't on point but really if you aren't sub 10%BF its not going to kill you. Its when you take that advise for granted and start having a little extra cupcakes and cookies here and there then thinking you will be good because its all going to add up. Then again, only you know your weight and how you look in the mirror so its on you.

Ok heres my problem...I'm not fat at all, but I do have an excess of belly and chest fat..I want to get bigger but I want to lose al that fat..I've been lifting and then doing cardio for about 30 minutes 4-5 days a week but I haven't really seen any gains in a month..Is the cardio killing it? My main concern is reducing my body fat..

^Haha, I got the same issue. I think you need some HIIT and on-point dieting in your life. I definitely cut down some with HIIT 1-2 a week. Now i substitute that for basketball.

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

Asking this question I'm going to say your diet isn't on point but really if you aren't sub 10%BF its not going to kill you. Its when you take that advise for granted and start having a little extra cupcakes and cookies here and there then thinking you will be good because its all going to add up. Then again, only you know your weight and how you look in the mirror so its on you.
Folks just don't know how much work it is to stay in the single digit zone.  Unless you're an actor or an athlete who gets paid to stay/get in shape...it's almost routine eating of nothing but healthy foods.

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

^Haha, I got the same issue. I think you need some HIIT and on-point dieting in your life. I definitely cut down some with HIIT 1-2 a week. Now i substitute that for basketball.
The only cardio you do is HIIT for 2 days? How many days do you lift? I lift 4-5 days a week, and i run on the same days I lift after lifting..

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

I'm scared as hell to attempt power cleans
Don't be scared man, I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. 
- Get your form down. I start with just the bar and practiced the movements. After a while it almost became automatic, thats when i started adding weight. 

-Youtube is an excellent source for videos that will help with form. 

- After i got my form down, i started adding weight slowly. 

Originally Posted by Durden7

First, you need to look at how humans evolved. #$#% sapiens have been around for 200,000 years. Until recently - about 10,000 years ago - we did not domesticate animals or farm. That means that we have been eating grains for at most, 10,000 years. For the other 190,000 years, we were eating vegetables, fruits, meat, and nuts. Our diet was fairly low in carbohydrates, but it was fairly high in fats as well. That shows an interesting aspect of our anatomy. Why would we have a pancreas that secretes insulin if we were meant to eat a diet of mostly carbohydrates? There is no biological difference between sugar and complex carbohydrates when they come out from the GI tract because all of them are broken down into sugars. Sure, you may not get the same insulin spike if you ate 1000 calories of glucose compared to if you ate 1000 calories of complex carbs. But the same amount of insulin will be secreted.

There are a few elements in grains which make it hard for the body to assimilate/digest. An example is gluten.

In an evolutionary viewpoint, grains were extremely hard to gather and eat. And even if man could gather them, he could not eat them raw. Man cannot eat grains raw, but we can eat almost everything else raw(vegetables, fruits, meat, etc.). Also, grains are not a very nutrient-rich source of food. Grains have very few vitamins and minerals. Look at a grain's nutrition information, you'll see the vitamin and mineral concentration of it. Compare it to any other piece of natural food. Vegetables, fruits, meats, raw dairy, eggs, and nuts all provide more nutrition than grains. If man had to eat so much just to receive nutrition, he would have become extinct a long while back.

http://altmed.creighton.edu/Paleodiet/Paleodiet.html
http://www.marksdailyappl...hy-grains-are-unhealthy/

Now I'm not saying that you should never eat grains, nor am I saying that you should always eat grains. But eating them everyday and at almost every meal is far from ideal. The only real way to see how you react to grains is to see how feel when you don't have grains and then compare. Do it for a week and then come back on grains for a week and then compare. It's not a very hard thing to do and it will help you get more in tune with your body and how it reacts to the foods that you eat.

You don't have to listen to any dietary advice from anyone, but I do recommend that you test how you personally react to different foods that you eat. That means eliminating them and then reintroducing them to see their effect on you.

Excellent post.  I appreciate it.

Its still just hard for me to to think that a food item that has been around for centuries is unhealthy in any way.  Its been the staple piece of the human diet for a long time, and its never caused problems.  Take the way our society was 100 years ago (Or even 50 years).  Grains were around, bread, rolls and everything else were the basis of what humans ate.  Yet the obesity rate was much lower.  There were also fewer processed foods and unhealthy options.

Is it really the grains or is it a combination of other factors?  As a society were so much more sedentary than in decades past so is it the grains that is part of the obesity epidemic or is it the lack of movement?  Theres more options/processed foods in our culture now so is it feasible that the human body has adapted to these changes and now functions in a different way than it used to?  (Ive got no scientific evidence of this at all, just something ive wondered.)  Would our bodies be better at using grains if it wasnt being forced to handle man-made substances?

Im just wondering if grains is being used as a scape-goat for a multitude of other problems that Americans/humans have when it comes to nutrition.

Good points. I definitely agree with you when you say that processed foods are making us more unhealthy. But I don't think that it's necessarily the only factor. Exercise and whatever else you eat can and will change your health. It's to a different degree with different people and that's why I said that people should experiment. The one thing that I can't stand is when people don't know what they're talking about and push things at you. For example, some people say that you HAVE to eat grains. He has never gone without grains and therefore doesn't know how it is to be without them. He may feel better with grains and I may feel worse, but you would never know unless you try it.
Good points wawa. That's what I was getting at. Many people go their whole lifetime without ever learning what's truly good for them and their body. I've learned that I do worse when I eat a lot of grains.

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

I saw some stuff about the Paleo diet on the previous page. Ive been on it the past two weeks because my girl is crazy into crossfit and they all preach it. She promised that if I got on it that she would cook all my meals so I tried it out.

Currently on week 2 and although I'm not sticking straight to the guidelines (still eat eggs, drink coffee, salad dressing, get crunk 2-3 times a week), Ive lost some BF% and gained some LBM with no cardio. I thought I was going to lose a lot of mass/strength but the opposite is occurring. Its easy because I !#%%%+* love fruit, honestly I'll crush a !#%%%+* apple up and snort it like some Peruvian raw off my chicks *******, son.

Its a great diet for beginners who are trying to get serious about about their food intake because it changes your aesthetics about food, basically helping you make better choices by now having a better grasp on the value of food. For instance time on the diet will make you think twice before you pick up that cookie or cake. Even on wasted nights I'll shoot past the fast food joints and pick up a rotisserie chicken at the super market then just devour it.
I've been looking at it and a lot of people do it and do really well eating like that. Props on the progress. Crossfit is very tough, and I would do it, but the gyms over here are way too expensive.
How much do you guys pay per month for your gyms?

I just quit Planet Fitness because they're way too strict about what you can and can't do. No deadlifts, power cleans, etc.

I'm looking at 2 gyms to join. One is just weights for $20 a month. The other is LA Fitness(with classes, basketball, pool, raquetball, weights) for $35 a month. I'm really considering just getting a barbell and weights for my house and using that. I need to pick, but I just don't think that I'd use the extra stuff that LA Fitness gives because I can go to the park to play raquetball and basketball. Plus, there's a pool at home.

nealraj006.. I'm payin 500 for a year at my gym All Star Fitness. Its expensive, but I get free towel service and locker/keys
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by gatorad3

nealraj006.. I'm payin 500 for a year at my gym All Star Fitness. Its expensive, but I get free towel service and locker/keys
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

i pay $260 for a year and half @ Dolphin in Brooklyn and get what you just said for free basically.

Gyms great.  Better then Ballys in the area

Originally Posted by Inno21

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

I'm scared as hell to attempt power cleans
Don't be scared man, I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. 
- Get your form down. I start with just the bar and practiced the movements. After a while it almost became automatic, thats when i started adding weight. 

-Youtube is an excellent source for videos that will help with form. 

- After i got my form down, i started adding weight slowly. 

frown.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by xxxoverridexxx

Originally Posted by gatorad3

tongue.gif
laugh.gif

i pay $260 for a year and half @ Dolphin in Brooklyn and get what you just said for free basically.

Gyms great.  Better then Ballys in the area

thats wasup

Originally Posted by nealraj006

How much do you guys pay per month for your gyms?
I just quit Planet Fitness because they're way too strict about what you can and can't do. No deadlifts, power cleans, etc.

I'm looking at 2 gyms to join. One is just weights for $20 a month. The other is LA Fitness(with classes, basketball, pool, raquetball, weights) for $35 a month. I'm really considering just getting a barbell and weights for my house and using that. I need to pick, but I just don't think that I'd use the extra stuff that LA Fitness gives because I can go to the park to play raquetball and basketball. Plus, there's a pool at home.
If I wasnt an employee there, id be paying somewhere around 55 a month.

Do you guys take time off from lifting heavy? I mean like, do you lift heavy for like 3 months straight and then take a couple weeks off. Or do you just lift heavy all the time?

Back
Top Bottom