STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

As long as it's working for you. My shoulder days are usually:

Standing BB press 4(4-6) with 2 warm up sets
Arnold DB press 4(8-10)
DB side raises 3(8-12)
Upright BB row superset with DB shrug 3(10)
What are peoples thoughts on this movement? Rotating the shoulder while simultaneously pressing makes me cringe a little. How safe is it?

What are peoples thoughts on this movement? Rotating the shoulder while simultaneously pressing makes me cringe a little. How safe is it?
If you use good form and correct weight you will get a awesome burn from this.

Just like any exercise if you dont use correct form or weight you run the risk of injury.

3 sets DB Shoulder Press, did 4 tonight

4 sets Hammer Strength Shoulder Press (simulates behind the neck press), did 5 tonight

8 sets Upright Rows, 4 close grip, 4 wide

3 working sets Rear Delt Machine, 2 extra sets (1 5 lbs lower, other 10 lbs lower)

4 sets 1 armed Lateral Raises

4 sets of some other Rear Delt ezeecise

4 sets Seated Face Pulls

So, I actually did more than 27 sets, I forgot a few exercises.

I did 4 sets of Shrugs at the end of the workout too.
No OHP?

Too much momentum can be used. Also reliant on core strength, so I avoid it.

Thats the reason to not do something? Come on, man :smh:

Limiting factors. If your core isn't strong enough, you'll end up taking away from the exercise. Too much momentum does that too.

If I'm training my shoulders, why should I do an exercise that relies so much on my core?

Limiting factors. If your core isn't strong enough, you'll end up taking away from the exercise. Too much momentum does that too.

If I'm training my shoulders, why should I do an exercise that relies so much on my core?

.... Because its the limiting factor and if you work on the limiting factor.... its not longer limiting.

Its not that the exercise relies so much on the core, its the fact that your core is that weak from never using it. The OHP isnt a core exercise, but for you it may be because of the lack of core strength.

I dont get this logic at all. Maybe its because I come from a different background and dont train like a bodybuilder, but to me it just seems silly and a waste of time to train that way. The body doesnt function as individual pieces, so why train in that manner?

Maybe its just me, but it just doesnt make sense. Its a weakness, it should be improved not worked around. Dont walk around the dysfunction, fix it.

EditL just out of curiousity, what exercises do you do for the core?

Last edited:
So, I shouldn't go heavy on Rows because my grip is the limiting factor?

I shouldn't deadlift over 3 plates because my grip is the limiting factor?

We don't train for the same reason, that's why it doesn't make sense.

I've been training my core, but to keep a thin midsection, weight isn't the best option. Therefore, my core won't progress like other lifts due to lack of outside resistance.

Last edited:
Theres a major difference between using an aide to assist in a lift and completely ignoring/avoiding something because of a weakness.

Using wrist straps for a deadlift and not using wrist straps for a deadlift is still the same exercise. Doing and overhead press and doing a seated press are different exercises.

And avoiding an exercise because momentum can be used isnt a valid reason for not doing something. Every single free weight exercise requires conscious control and can be affected by momentum if you allow it.

So, I should ignore my goals, and how to achieve my goals? I should get a thick midsection doing weighted core exercises, and get a thicker midsection so I can OHP?

There's more than 1 way to achieve results. I've had experience with OHP, and it didn't seem effective in building mass as much as other exercises, so I don't bother with it.

Anybody use Adovocare's fitness supplements (i.e.: Pre-workout, Post Recovery, Whey Protein, Catalyst (BCAA)? Im trying to find some good sups, and I currently get a discount with them :lol:

I've been doing the Arnold for many years. I recommend doing it with a bench that the back can lift up to 90 degrees and be used for support.

Last edited:
It seems like Durden and Timbo think they know everything still. Make a YouTube channel. You both seem to know everything.

We should just rename this thread

Ask Timbo and Durden!

#gainz

slowly but surely....

**edit, and I posted the article to spark conversation---I know many of us eat chicken in here but I'll let ya'll go back to talking about different brands of pop tarts :lol: :smh:

Nice progress. Keef it up!

Last edited:
So, I should ignore my goals, and how to achieve my goals? I should get a thick midsection doing weighted core exercises, and get a thicker midsection so I can OHP?

There's more than 1 way to achieve results. I've had experience with OHP, and it didn't seem effective in building mass as much as other exercises, so I don't bother with it.

lol

You say that as if weighted ab exercises are going to make you fat. It's obvious why you don't have the core strength to OHP after reading that.

Saying you don't OHP for shoulders is like saying you don't bench for chest or squat for legs

lol

You say that as if weighted ab exercises are going to make you fat. It's obvious why you don't have the core strength to OHP after reading that.

Saying you don't OHP for shoulders is like saying you don't bench for chest or squat for legs

That's the dumbest thing I've read in this thread, but okay :lol:.

It seems like Durden and Timbo think they know everything still. Make a YouTube channel. You both seem to know everything.

Ask Timbo and Durden!

Yeah, youre right, because trying to have a discussion on a topic is the same thing as proclaiming I know everything. :rolleyes :smh:

Heavens forbid I try and broaden horizons by being engaged in a thought provoking discussion.

Im not saying you should ignore your goals at all. Im saying there may be a different or a better way of going about achieving that goal. There may be, there may not be.

The thickness of the midsection doesnt matter to OHP. OHP requires core stability, not core mobility like most ab exercises people do. Theyre very different. That core stability needed for OHP will translate into better squat and deadlift gains.

If you dont feel like its effective in building mass, then thats a better reason than its core requirements and momentum.

Ask Timbo and Durden!

Yeah, youre right, because trying to have a discussion on a topic is the same thing as proclaiming I know everything. :rolleyes :smh:

Heavens forbid I try and broaden horizons by being engaged in a thought provoking discussion.

Adults can have a discussion. People assume you're being a know it all for discussing something they're allowed to partake in.

Im not saying you should ignore your goals at all. Im saying there may be a different or a better way of going about achieving that goal. There may be, there may not be.

The thickness of the midsection doesnt matter to OHP. OHP requires core stability, not core mobility like most ab exercises people do. Theyre very different. That core stability needed for OHP will translate into better squat and deadlift gains.

If you dont feel like its effective in building mass, then thats a better reason than its core requirements and momentum.

The core requirement is a reason I do avoid it though.

Seated DB Shoulder Press allows me to focus on stretching, and contracting the muscle. On the OHP, I have to think about that, keeping my torso straight, and a few other factors.

I think I get what he's saying. Even if he mi stepped a few times.

The ohp is not giving him the more exclusive burn he's looking for in shoulders.

But like durden has said in the past. There's a way to work around a "weak link" and there's a way to work on the "weak link".

So if shoulders aren't getting the more exclusive burn, because other parts of the body like the core have to struggle to stabilize, it might not feel like shoulders are getting enough work. Since the load can't get to heavy without the core struggling.

Yeah man why not do some cable crunches, some med ball trunk twists. You're not gonna get andro gut by doing heavy ab stuff.

Just something I've been reading up, and hearing.

Adding muscle mass on my abs will make them stronger, and pop more, but I'd get a thicker midsection. I have a thin frame of sorts now.

I do plenty of sets of abs/lower back 3 times a week. I just don't do abs weighted.

My core definitely has gotten stronger since I started training it. 315 on Squats doesn't make my lower back sore anymore.

What in God's name was that site? I didn't understand if it was a Troll site or not :wow:

Hahaha no one is trolling there. They're dead serious. Just a bunch of bros.

it's a subsection of the actual site. There is a subreddit for everything you can think of, the one i linked being one of them lol

Yeah, youre right, because trying to have a discussion on a topic is the same thing as proclaiming I know everything.
eyes.gif
mean.gif

You gotta remember the types of people behind some of these screen names.

Some care and have the ability to discuss while others do not.

I just think we have a lot of valuable experience in here that sometimes gets taken for granted. We've all been doing this for years and some of us are trainers (i'm putting myself over, cheap pop).

The biggest "weak link" in the gym is ones own ego. Getting past that, then you're willing to actually try stuff that's different from your core philosophy (get it). I wonder how many guys in here actually use the leg adductor abductor, for instance.

I just think we have a lot of valuable experience in here that sometimes gets taken for granted. We've all been doing this for years and some of us are trainers (i'm putting myself over, cheap pop).

The biggest "weak link" in the gym is ones own ego. Getting past that, then you're willing to actually try stuff that's different from your core philosophy (get it). I wonder how many guys in here actually use the leg adductor abductor, for instance.

Why not just squat?

Back
Top Bottom