STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Thanks, I appreciate that.  As far as sitting back more, do I need to get my hips more involved?  The shoes are Reebok Nano's. 
Yeah it should feel like your sitting back in a chair. I couldn't really see your stance but that will come into play as well.  Im sure some more people will chime in, but sit back, drive through your heels, chest up and stay tight. Also if your knees start caving in make sure you push them out. When you come out of the hole make sure its shoulders up first then hips.

I feel like I dont squat well if I tell myself to sit back. My mobility sucks when I squat, I tried the "chair" technique and no bueno. As long as youre knees dont go past your toes and they follow your toes on the way down, you should be fine.

Oh, leg day today. 
smokin.gif
 Was pooped yesterday from work, missed shoulder/tri day. May include that today and try to bench light and see if my shoulder is better. Havent benched in maybe 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:

Just because he's a doctor doesn't mean he's right.

Olympic lifting and Powerlifting both require you to squat past parallel. 

Like Ironman said, if you feel like your not using your legs then your doing something wrong. Theres no way your doing any substantial weight with that kind of form.

Some people are going to be more quad dominant squatters while others more hams and glutes. Your knees are going to naturally want to cave in when you first learn to squat and once the weight gets heavy, you have to make yourself push them out as you come up.

Half reps, half results. 

Let's not listen to the doctor who went to school,who works with athletes for 20 years and who's wrote books about the subject, let's listen to broscience?

Do you realize how that sounds?

Honestly the "all the way down" stuff doesn't work with everyone. It's all on your bone structure. Some people are built with mechanical disadvantages when it comes to certain movements. Going "all the way down" when you squat with said disadvantage will put MORE pressure on your knees than someone who doesn't have that problem.

Everyone is built different and should adapt workouts to their abilities.

Let's not listen to the doctor who went to school,who works with athletes for 20 years and who's wrote books about the subject, let's listen to broscience?

you realize there is a lot of science out there saying that squatting below parallel is better for the knees, right?

there are people in every professional field who are flat out wrong about things in their industry.  

Nah man

The doctor works with a professional sport team and universities

Theres a certain point when you go past parallel that you feel like the power comes less from butt, hamstrings and quads and more from your knee

Whats the point of squatting past parallel?

What sport do you get in a position where you're past parallel?

Football? No......Baseball? No......Basketball? No

Maybe going past parallel is ok when you are using really light weight to build some flexibility but for moderate to heavy weight? No

Going past parallel recruits the glutes and hamstrings MORE, which is one of the reasons past parallel is a good thing. It reduces shear forces on the knee. Thats the point of squatting past parallel.

Just because you cant think of a sport that looks exactly like a weightlifting movement doesnt mean its a bad idea. Thats losing sight of what training for athleticism actually is. Weightlifting exercises arent supposed to specifically look like athletic movements. Does the snatch, clean/jerk movement occur in sports?

For instance look at baseball catchers.

When they're in the squat, their knees are usually "past parallel". But they're at rest and in that position for innings on end.

Of course if they were in an actual squat thighs parallel to the ground they wouldn't last nearly as long.

Which is to say the "past parallel" position isn't activating the muscles really. Just kinda resting. But imagine with hella weight? And trying to get out of the hole?

At that point yeah I think the doc has a point you know?

Huh? I dont think I understand the analogy.

The analogy aside, how is a past parallel squat not activating the muscles? The muscles arent resting at all.

I feel like I dont squat well if I tell myself to sit back. My mobility sucks when I squat, I tried the "chair" technique and no bueno. As long as youre knees dont go past your toes and they follow your toes on the way down, you should be fine.

Oh, leg day today. :smokin  Was pooped yesterday from work, missed shoulder/tri day. May include that today and try to bench light and see if my shoulder is better. Havent benched in maybe 2-3 weeks.

The knees past the toes idea has been proven wrong.

Keep in mind that most of the "old cliches" of exercise (ex: squatting past parallel and knees past toes) were taken way out of context and have been spread/morphed into something different over the years.

It happens all the time with academic research studies, and I get it. (Hell, I even do it sometimes even though I should know better) A study is hypothesized, a sample group taken, research performed and the authors come to a conclusion. When someone else reads the study, or most commonly just the last few sentences of the conclusion, they generalize what the study actually means and dont factor in the variables. (Other variables not accounted for/tested, the sample or its size) Mainstream media/magazines get a hold of this "information" and run with it. Its no different than how information is transmitted in other areas of life.

Who's the doc and what books has he written?

http://sportsmedsa.com/dr-ralph-j-curtis/

you realize there is a lot of science out there saying that squatting below parallel is better for the knees, right?

there are people in every professional field who are flat out wrong about things in their industry.  

You mean articles written by powerlifters. Very few doctors and going recommend you squatting past parallel.

Last edited:

Y'all listen up in here, if you don't know what the word broscience actually means then don't ******* use it.

Broscience is a stupid *** word made up in the fitness community for people who think meal timing and frequency and all that other garbage matter.

Squatting below parallel has not one ******* thing to do with broscience.

As for you Mister Im not taking you serious, I never take any of these dudes serious who show up for one week then go ghost.

Oh, leg day today. 
smokin.gif
 Was pooped yesterday from work, missed shoulder/tri day. May include that today and try to bench light and see if my shoulder is better. Havent benched in maybe 2-3 weeks.
Like Durden says the knee past toes thing is old and proven incorrect. You want the bar to travel in a straight path, I could be wrong but it seems nearly impossible to squat and not have your knees go past your toes or close to it.

Last edited:
I don't care if you take me seriously or not.

I'm just dropping information, guys can take it or leave it

You really think everybody that has worked out hardcore on this site comes into this thread?

Honestly I never realized this thread existed til the "I wanted to get shredded thread"

Last edited:

You really think everybody that has worked out hardcore on this site comes into this thread?

Honestly I never realized this thread existed til the "I wanted to get shredded thread"
I couldn't care less if people who "workout hardcore" come in here 
laugh.gif

You just can't show up and start saying theres no point in squatting past parallel because one doctor told you that, FOH. Most doctors Ive met haven't even lifted a weight much less squatted a day in their life.

Arent you the guy that was begging for shirtless pics of guys in that thread?

Who says I cant give guys advice?

Thats what this thread for.......Guys can take it or leave it

Again I trust that doctors advice over broscience

Arent you the guy that was begging for shirtless pics of guys in that thread?

Yeah and Im still waiting :frown:

Because you don't know what the **** your talking about 

BRO 

Whatever Bigboss :lol:

Last edited:
My strength coach in college and head trainer used to always argue about squat depth. Basically came to the conclusion it's case by case and there's countless research out there that can prove below parallel is best and others that say it's bad. Just do what's best for you. That being said, how do you go about increasing ankle flexibility? I feel my ankles just don't allow me to squat as deep as Id like.

I used to squat deep till I developed tendinitis in my ankle. I'm good with parallel, the benefits are still the same.

So... Anyways...

I'm still going to squat deep. I still want to know if anybody ever experienced their knees tingling.
Ive gotten some tendonitis lately, iced and taken ibuprofen to help it.

You said you wrap your knees? Maybe yours wrapping them too tight and cause a circulation problem.

So... Anyways...

I'm still going to squat deep. I still want to know if anybody ever experienced their knees tingling.

Ive gotten some tendonitis lately, iced and taken ibuprofen to help it.

You said you wrap your knees? Maybe yours wrapping them too tight and cause a circulation problem.

I learned from some of the PLers that you should wrap your knees tonight for a set though. I do unwrap them after the set, because everything below the knee gets numb if I keep them on for long.

Oh man. Let him breathe y'all.

But what I think I meant to say (I was buzzed) was that when I myself am that low I can say I'm not activating as many muscles. I am reducing the sheer forces on my knee like you said, too. So I totally feel like I'm resting down all the way (heels touching hips).

So it can make sense to me why a doc would say "hey why even go down all the way" or something like that. Of course going like 15 degrees past parallel will totally force my hammie's (heels) to dig me out and my glutes too to push me out. But I wonder how much more use I get out of going like 135/140 degrees rather than 90/100?

I don't know I always default to everyone figuring this **** out empirically. For themselves. You're the best researcher of your own body so do what feels natural/safe.

But man y'all ease up on folks. No choppers.

I learned from some of the PLers that you should wrap your knees tonight for a set though. I do unwrap them after the set, because everything below the knee gets numb if I keep them on for long.
Yeah you should but I could see where it could cause problems. Maybe try some sleeves out and see if anything changes. 
I don't know I always default to everyone figuring this **** out empirically. For themselves. You're the best researcher of your own body so do what feels natural/safe.

But man y'all ease up on folks. No choppers.
This.

If your serious about your training, you'll do tons of research on what can help you achieve your goals.

I thought dude was a known troll though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom