STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Got a couple questions guys
1.Is playing basketball a good form of cardio? (3-4 tough full court games)
2.Is playing basketball after a good workout a bad thing, why do I always hear people saying "you lose your workout/soreness" ?

basketball is a great form of cardio if you're actually hustling. it's also great cause it's much more dynamic than something like jogging on a treadmill for an hour. if you're actually running the court to play offense and defense, it'll be a form of HIIT, and would be excellent for developing your endurance.

as for playing after a workout, i think this depends on your goals. if you're trying to take your time and put on quality mass, make sure you figure out your calorie requirements before you burn too much on cardio. if you're looking to burn fat or lose weight, basketball after a workout would probably be fine, but others might be more knowledgeable on that.

personally, i wouldn't play basketball right after a workout since i'm looking to put on more mass. instead, i'd go play basketball on an off day, and consider it active rest.

:lol: no bait at my gym...dunno if I'm happy or sad about the lack of optical candy today

Arm day, again with added reps and sets, feeling tired as fuu but im great, knocked out 30 on the bike afterward, I'm sore but ready for legs tomorrow and the ensuing feel :pimp:

damb im a weakling.. i cant get past 235x5 for sets on DL :frown:

You ain't weak at all! How long have you been at it and how much you weigh?

Forgot to mention!

BIG *** VERNON DAVIS X PATRICK WILLIS DUDE IN MY GYM TODAY. EVERY SINGLE DUDE WAS MIRIN! HOMIE WAS SOMETHING ELSE. IDEAL BODY!!

iLLest!

im 5'9 228 been losing weight since may .. started doing deadlifts probably around sept/oct

Cannot believe how quiet my Gym has been this week, Im thinking the new starters will be incoming next week or so

Cannot believe how quiet my Gym has been this week, Im thinking the new starters will be incoming next week or so

My gym has been pretty dead too. The cardio room was completely full except for the one spinning bike so I jumped on that for a warmup. Three people in the weight room.

lolol. same. i TOLD my boy it would be dead. he keeps telling me to watch. and today he goes,
"you know what it is...the gym hype that was relevant last year is over. people don't care about being big and healthy anymore."
i :rofl: :stoneface:
iLLest!

:lol:

He could be right though, Hopefully the whole 'Jersey Shore' culture wore off

Cardio this morning was tough, 28 degrees out here 
sick.gif

Can I mess with boxed/carton egg-whites? If so, which brand should I look into getting? (I would be buying them from a regular supermarket, not a upscale one like Whole Foods/Trader Joes).

Took 4 days off while i went to New Orleans..feel like its been a month..back at it tonite goin ham as usual

Can I mess with boxed/carton egg-whites? If so, which brand should I look into getting? (I would be buying them from a regular supermarket, not a upscale one like Whole Foods/Trader Joes).

Yes you can in my opinion.

A few pages ago I posted my recipe for a spinach-jalapeno egg white omelet.
I used a carton of egg whites that I bought from Albertsons for the omelet.

I dont know what brand it is, but its pretty good. They sell them at Ralphs and Wal-Mart as well.

Great gym session today :pimp:

My rotator cuff rehab is definitely working. I feel very little, if any pain at all anymore. I really didn't want to take a break from the gym since I'm 9+ months strong at 3x/week.

Woke up with my hamstrings still sore from those SDLs on Wednesday :x...tells me they're underdeveloped if they're sore like that for that long.

Yes you can, I eat the generic ones from wal-mart everyday, just put one regular egg with it your good to go.

Yes you can, I eat the generic ones from wal-mart everyday, just put one regular egg with it your good to go.
how much do you guys use, for instance i eat four egg whites and two whole eggs, how much do i pour?

these arrogant, get out of my way posts are irritating. cut these people a break. let em do them. like someone said, if ur that serious with bodybuilding, go hit a real bodybuilding-focused gym (not no 24 hour fitness, NYSC, etc).

"in the end, only kindness matters."

Have any of you guys watch Kai Greene videos? If so, what your views on his methods?

Background info:  Kai is a pro bodybuilder.  So in this video, the guy is trying to lift heavier and it's killing his form. Kai goes to explains that muscles needs to do two things: STRETCH and CONTRACT.  So he lift weights like this guy but with 20lbs and his muscles fail.  A huge mofo 265lb bodybuilder arms are failing off 20 lbs because he allowed the muscle to stretch and contract.

Stretch and Squeeze. The primary goal is not to lift weights.  Bodybuilders is concerned with contracting muscles.  Weightlifters are concerned with moving weight.  Basically, over time the weight will increase.  Once you feel like you can control the weight throughout from stretch to contraction with perfect form then you can move up.

Another good video to watch is Elliot Hulse.

Last edited:
I love Kai Greene. Someone posted his vids a while back, and since then, I've really bought into his methods. Even though sometimes I still find myself trying to move too much weight.

Ayo iLLest where are you located bro?

I use to see Kai workout at paedergat gym in brooklyn and he is a cool humble guy, told me to do pendlay rows instead of regular bent over rows. Also for rehab help and overall mobility info Kelly is the man I follow a lot.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/

Last edited:
yea man, forearms and calves have become my new projects. i'm hitting both twice a week. I'm always trying new things to stimulate growth. i've grown to love working my calves and my forearms....i'm getting there. They just take sooooo long to put on any real size. They're getting there though.

calves, I pretty much just do basics. They get a lot of work in between the lunges, power cleans and squats, that to finish cooking them i just go heavy on the standing calve raise machine, and the seated calve raise machine, (since they work two different parts, gotta do both) and then I do the fibula joint. it works that meaty area on the front, that covers the shin. really gives a legs a good look.

forearms...pfffft....I do everything. Extensions and flexors. Squeeze plates, FARMERS WALKS, DB twists, Zottman curls (fantastic btw), and alot of my back work without straps, until i need them. Oh and i have fat grips that i put on dumbbells and bb's to really work those fibers. oh and pullups with towels and i'll wrap towels around dbs and gripping only the end of the towel, hammer curl them. Oh and static grips, which can be done in soooooo many different ways. Basically you just pick up something heavy and hold it until your grip gives out. It's like FARMERS WALKS, but stationary. Last time I loaded an olympic bar with like 250-300 and just did multiple sets of just holding it. Focused on counting in my head to ignore the pain. It was cool.

And of course with these, a lot of the stuff is super-set, so it really helps in tiring that tiny muscle out. And no i don't do everything every time, i just pick a few and go with those.

i usually only spend a half hour on either calves or forearms.
I've been meaning to get Fat Grips.  I definitely need to break down and try out a pair.

It's always nice to see someone who is that humble, despite being that accomplished (Kai Greene).  I preach that same thing to anyone who trains with me.  I usually wear a hoody when I train so people rarely get to see my physique.  When I go down to just a tee or a tank they always ask how much I lift.  I pretty much tell them screw the weight, if your form is crap and you're not getting a full contraction it won't matter.  What's the point other than to play mind games with yourself or impress others.

I think this irks me most when I see people squatting.  Load up the smith machine with 4 plates on each side, go down like 3 inches and return to start (ignoring the fact that you don't even bother to go for that 45 degree angle).  Ridiculous.

I train for myself.  Of course I like the fact that the build I've gained (and strive to improve upon) due to my dedication to a healthy lifestyle results in attention from females, but if you're doing it for anyone but yourself why bother?  You'll never be comfortable in your own skin if busting your *** day in and day out in the gym and sticking to the nutrition doesn't bring you true happiness and joy.

Rant over.  Back to mellow ole me.
laugh.gif

Have any of you guys watch Kai Greene videos? If so, what your views on his methods?

Background info:  Kai is a pro bodybuilder.  So in this video, the guy is trying to lift heavier and it's killing his form. Kai goes to explains that muscles needs to do two things: STRETCH and CONTRACT.  So he lift weights like this guy but with 20lbs and his muscles fail.  A huge mofo 265lb bodybuilder arms are failing off 20 lbs because he allowed the muscle to stretch and contract.

Stretch and Squeeze. The primary goal is not to lift weights.  Bodybuilders is concerned with contracting muscles.  Weightlifters are concerned with moving weight.  Basically, over time the weight will increase.  Once you feel like you can control the weight throughout from stretch to contraction with perfect form then you can move up.

Another good video to watch is Elliot Hulse.

I'm going to use these principles today. I know on days that I've dropped the weight and just really focused on the movement I've had some great workouts. some days you really just wanna eat the weights tho, for pride purposes. Today is chest, but I'm gonna try Kai's method, so what I can accomplish. I guess my only issue is my strength is real high, so at what point is the weight considered too light and you should move up? Then how high do you move up? lol, I can see myself, moving up to my normal weight and forgetting all about his method lol.

Back
Top Bottom