STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

i have never experienced this increase in bench strength after squatting. i start many of my workouts with a big compound movement and i do the occasional strength day with squats, bench then deads. on days i attempt to go up in weight on bench, i do my usual warm-up starting with rotator cuff and then do a little bit of light benching then get right to it. i've been to powerlifting meets and never once did i see them warming up for bench press by doing squats.

No you don't warm up with squats for bench strength, in fact you really shouldn't do those strenuous exercises on the same dsy since they pull on the system so much, once you do one, your productivity will most likely go down in another right after. Squats give overall strength gains tho. So if you focus on squats for a day, then a day on two later do your chest, your benches have the potential to go up. It's a time sensitive process tho, you have a larger potential for your benches to go up by just progressively loading the weight and working within those limits.

Anybody in here take espon salt baths? :nerd:

Yep i have. Took them often to aid in the healing when I was playing sports. Get the bath as hot as you can handle, put some Epson salt in it and just relax and soak for a while. Between these and ice baths and massages...so clutch in keeping the body in order

I think you guys are overblowing the whole squats and testosterone thing. All lifts you do will increase test, squats more so because they recruit more muscles. The marginal test increases from squatting are really not worth worrying about. That's not to say you shouldn't be squatting, but squatting prior to bench solely to increase your bench numbers because of some marginal test increase is ridiculous.

Strong legs do play a part in the bench though, considering the importance of leg drive while benching so don't neglect the legs, even if all you care about is your bench numbers.

I think you guys are overblowing the whole squats and testosterone thing. All lifts you do will increase test, squats more so because they recruit more muscles. The marginal test increases from squatting are really not worth worrying about. That's not to say you shouldn't be squatting, but squatting prior to bench solely to increase your bench numbers because of some marginal test increase is ridiculous.

Strong legs do play a part in the bench though, considering the importance of leg drive while benching so don't neglect the legs, even if all you care about is your bench numbers.

Working the quads help hgh production, but the testosterone production from it is miniscule, not to mention you dont even get the boost until after you've finished lifting.

yeah, that pretty much confirms my thoughts. no damn way would i squat just prior to trying to up my bench numbers.

Working the quads help hgh production, but the testosterone production from it is miniscule, not to mention you dont even get the boost until after you've finished lifting.
Is that unique to the quads tho? Isn't that applicable to all muscles, proportional to muscle size?

If there's anyone in this thread who doesn't squat and would start because of the supposed test boost, then sure the test boost exists, start squatting. You can't be an athlete and you can't be "in shape" without squatting.

^

Doesnt sound bad, maybe you shoudda went for reps instead of weight if you didnt have a spotter.

I did push muscles today, and I usually do shrugs too since im doing shoulders anyway but cotdammit I forgot.
indifferent.gif
tired.gif

Intermittent Fasting is not for everyone, Some swear by it and others it don't work for them,

For me when I have done it I would rather split my macros throughout the Day rather then eating 1,000 - 1,500 in one sitting after you break your fast

Gonna start Hannibal's beginners callisthenics routine tomorrow morning with a few more things added in.
That was my routine this summer. Rode my bike everyday, went to the playground, dips, pullups, pushups, air squats, lunges. Didn't touch a touch a gym all summer. Swimming too.

Deadlifts yesterday.

Hit 315lb. Its the most i have ever done. But my grip started to give out. Only did 2 sets 4 reps each set. Felt good though just to know i can move that type of weight. I have two identical bruises on both of my knees though from sliding the bar down my legs.

Wanted to just do cardio today and go for a nice 5 mile jog. But i wont' be out of work until late so i it will be dark out by the time i get home. Might just go to the gym do shoulders and upper back. My lower back is sore from yesterday.

Did arms this morning.  Felt really good.  With the new year beginning, I'm more focused than even on my diet.  Working out is the easy part.

BREAKFAST: 4 egg whites, 2 turkey patties, 1/4 cup spinach, spinach wrap

SNACK: Protein shake & handful of peanuts

LUNCH: 2 (6 oz) Mahi Mahi steaks & 2 cups broccoli

DINNER: 3/4 cup brown rice, 6 oz of grilled chicken breast, 1 cup broccoli

So far, my day has been 206g of carbs, 189g protein, 55g fat.  I need 500 more calories to meet my goal of 2600.
May your gains/loses be great this year Team Fit fam!​
Holy ****, this is exactly ideally how I would want to eat. More on your diet process / cooking prep/ shopping / costs.
I normally prepare several dishes on sunday, so I don't have to worry about what to eat.

I shop at BJ's and buy all my chicken (value packs), and eggs there.  Our groceries run anywhere between $400-$500 a month.

@ DC, I grilled the chicken on the stove stop skillet, then threw them in the oven.  And that's a tablespoon of hoisin sauce 

I can hardly walk at the moment....great success!! Gonna rest up today and watch The National Championship Game. Back at it tomorrow!

Deadlifts yesterday.
Hit 315lb. Its the most i have ever done. But my grip started to give out. Only did 2 sets 4 reps each set. Felt good though just to know i can move that type of weight. I have two identical bruises on both of my knees though from sliding the bar down my legs.
Wanted to just do cardio today and go for a nice 5 mile jog. But i wont' be out of work until late so i it will be dark out by the time i get home. Might just go to the gym do shoulders and upper back. My lower back is sore from yesterday.
Chalk?

Deadlifts yesterday.
Chalk?

Thanks for the recommendation. That honestly for some reason didn't cross my mind, I was thinking wrist straps but i might try chalk first. I don't wear gloves or anything ever so my hand callouses are pretty bad lol.

It would be nice, but I don't see it happening.

I swear man I'm more sore 2 days after a workout then the day after, backs of my quads are so damn sore.

Back and biceps today, gotta bring these lats up for da V taper 
nthat.gif

It would be nice, but I don't see it happening.

I swear man I'm more sore 2 days after a workout then the day after, backs of my quads are so damn sore.

Back and biceps today, gotta bring these lats up for da V taper :nthat:
Backs of your quads? You talking about your hamstrings?

what is your main goal? you trying to build muscle? trying to lose fat? trying to gain strength?

Last edited:
:smh: the past 2 months I lost all form. Good times with family and friends, drinking, eating recklessly, not even driving past the gym :smh: no dambs given

Got back today, will start more seriously this week. Will be back in this thread more often looking at motivation and tips.

yeah man, IF is a good tool to help you drop fat but still letting you eat till satiety and not losing strength.

Back
Top Bottom