STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

priorities, exactly! even in as well off as country as america is, i think the statistic is the majority of americans live paycheck to paycheck and don't have enough in the back to absorb an unexpected $500 bill...so i don't know that people really even think about it in those terms of being content with being a lil fluffy, i would think until someone's lifestyle is really impacted whether from a capability (can't do things they use to do), health (disease or medical condition), or quality (don't feel as good) perspective...they aren't all that concerned about their weight to make the lifestyle change(s) required, supposing they even have the flexibility to pursue it. sure, for some people it really comes down to wanting to achieve or maintain certain aesthetics or they have the kind of willpower & focus to stick with it (or they like the attention they receive from the opposite gender 😂)
not sure if I mentioned it here already regarding that but I remember my time in the U.K. a certain overly obese woman who was under welfare wanted to have a gastric bypass done to her at the expense of the taxpayers money. now this woman was living and buying and eating ridiculous junk foods. they think that a gastric bypass surgery is an easy fix to cure their attitude and addiction to junk foods. but what is really mortifying though is that the burden goes to the taxpayers. it is despicable when certain people plays the victim card.

Did no carbs (keto) a while back. It works so long as you're not overeating while doing it, but I really felt pretty crappy. Not for me.

I also did the whole fasting thing. It also works, but I felt like garbage doing cardio on restricted calories.

I just worry about macros nowadays. It seems to work just as well so long you're in a calorie deficit or at maintenance level depending on what your goals are. Since you can eat whatever you just have to be careful with the fun food.
the benefit for those is that conditioning your body can take awhile and what you want your body to get accustomed to. as long as you are not over-indulging, it should be fine.

not sure if I mentioned it here already regarding that but I remember my time in the U.K. a certain overly obese woman who was under welfare wanted to have a gastric bypass done to her at the expense of the taxpayers money. now this woman was living and buying and eating ridiculous junk foods. they think that a gastric bypass surgery is an easy fix to cure their attitude and addiction to junk foods. but what is really mortifying though is that the burden goes to the taxpayers. it is despicable when certain people plays the victim card.

ok…but remember that this tangent started with topic of motivation, and the point i’m making really is that because exercise is such an unnatural thing it shouldn’t be surprising that most people find it difficult to be consistent with it…

i think the stats say something like 66-75% of adults (in 🇺🇸 ) would be categorized as overweight or obese (a bit tricky of a stat depending on the amount of muscle someone carrie’s, folks can be shredded and also be considered overweight but would likely be the gross exception). only about 20% of adults meet the minimum recommended amount of daily or weekly physical activity, and anywhere between 25-30% of adults report themselves as inactive outside of work. about half of adults say they are actively trying to lose weight, with something like 70-95% of people who go diets fail to keep the weight off (often gaining the lost weight back & then some) and only about 20% of people trying to lose weight generally, are successful…

it would seem, given the numbers, that most people (in the states at least) find it difficult to maintain a body weight that would not be considered overweight given their modern lifestyle/responsibilities and the fact is modern life does not really incentivize or require it…and although activity & weight is likely positively correlated with health, they aren’t necessarily causal or intrinsically linked such that being active & ‘normal weight automatically means one is healthy & being inactive & overweight means one is unhealthy

not get too political or bring socioeconomics, but to your point about the burden eventually falling on taxpayers, sure…but that’s the society we have built and as the middle class continues to hollow out it will likely be the case that health will be a much bigger issue

Thread has taken a sad turn. Folks in here calling exercise an unnatural chore, defending fat folks, talking about food deserts, blaming fast food for being delicious…:smh:

It’s very sad how little personal accountability plays into society these days. :nerd:

it doesn’t absolve people of personal responsibility to say that exercise is unnatural because obviously much of modern life is unnatural and people find ways to make those things work but the reality is most people either aren’t/can’t/choose not to be that invested in their physical fitness because humans historically are naturally lazy (or maybe better put really really really prefer convenience! 😂) purchase in general and haven’t needed to and didn’t need to exercise (none of the people today who are living close to the way that our hunter gather ancestors do anything resembling arbitrary exercise/training/working out) and the incentive to doing exercise isn’t necessarily obvious and/or worthwhile for seemingly most people

this all came up because folk were talking about motivation to work out consistently…and the basic point is if activity/fitness isn’t part of a person’s lifestyle or routine it will be hard to have that motivation long term, which the pervasiveness of overweight folks in america bears out.

Last edited:
Thread has taken a sad turn. Folks in here calling exercise an unnatural chore, defending fat folks, talking about food deserts, blaming fast food for being delicious…:smh:

It’s very sad how little personal accountability plays into society these days. :nerd:
In all seriousness I think it’s ok for us to look at both sides and understand that not everyone has the drive or motivation or even interest to lose weight or be in shape. And honestly, that should be fine. It’s their life, always has been. In the end we should all “do you and keep it pushin” cause there’s too much to life to be worried about what someone else is doin if it don’t affect you.

Besides, I don’t think anyone in here defending fast food or bad eating is doing it in a “it’s 100% okay and should be seen as healthy”. That’s asinine. We’re just trying to make a point that not everyone who is overweight is a lazy piece of garbage.

Hell, I’m still technically overweight. Probably always will be. I have been since I was in elementary school. Even when I was doing Muay Thai for 10 years, I was “overweight”.

It's unnatural
i blame the raffle system

It was all downhill from there, for Jordan’s and our health
We went from scrambling and running to the sto to living in a world where 12-year olds crate sneaker cartels using automated bots. Society is crumbling. That's why we have to embrace the unnatural and hit the gym, pool, road, whatever.

once they put out the raffle system I quit buying.

I want to fight and race through the mall for my shoes like wild animals and then when you’re one of the small percent with them on they know you raised hell for that pair. :lol:

Raffle took the fun out of it.

Not to derail the thread but raffles got me to quit basically. I have terrible luck and I liked being able to get a pair if I simply wanted them bad enough and showed up for a few hours. It def had its downsides towards the end but the positive was always getting a pair you really wanted with some good friends and gauging how early you had to be there depending on hype and how limited they were.

I’ve got a few W’s off SNKRS but if it’s anything out of a raffle I’ve caught all L’s. I think I’m like 0/5 on raffles since they went live.

While I’m dying in my planks today at the gym imma think of the raffle system and it’ll piss me off enough to not fail, guarans.

Been doing cardio 6 - 7 days a week for a little while now. One of the best decisions I ever made for my heath was to stop trying to be an overweight power lifter and get fit. Really do feel about half my age.

Seen too many people spend the last few years of their lives just laying up in a damn bed. Can't be me. I can't do 90 percent of the stuff I do now whenever I make it to beyond washed levels, it'll be time to check out of here.

In all seriousness I think it’s ok for us to look at both sides and understand that not everyone has the drive or motivation or even interest to lose weight or be in shape. And honestly, that should be fine. It’s their life, always has been. In the end we should all “do you and keep it pushin” cause there’s too much to life to be worried about what someone else is doin if it don’t affect you.

Besides, I don’t think anyone in here defending fast food or bad eating is doing it in a “it’s 100% okay and should be seen as healthy”. That’s asinine. We’re just trying to make a point that not everyone who is overweight is a lazy piece of garbage.

Hell, I’m still technically overweight. Probably always will be. I have been since I was in elementary school. Even when I was doing Muay Thai for 10 years, I was “overweight”.
I started the technically overweight as early as primary school. but I was technically thin. got fat when my appetite spiked as I was growing and around 10 if my memory still serves me correctly. lost that weight during my teenage years. built some mass and weight as I was drawing to finishing my junior year in the university. lost it again for years when I started working. gained some weight again when I got unemployed for a few months. then started hitting the gym 3x-4x a week and reached my ideal weight and frame. and so on and so on. if you get the point, it's a constant battle for me. I could have imagine myself in a way worst situation if not for those activities. my highest weight was 214 lbs. I might have gone 260 lbs and could have been in a sorry state if I didn't take care of myself. from a normal small athletic frame, I turned into a normal large but I was an obese large around a year ago.

I do agree that it is an individual's choice on what they want with their life as long as they are prepared to face the consequences. however, most people would just make excuses on why it isn't their fault and become a burden to others. that's what is infuriating.

once they put out the raffle system I quit buying.

I want to fight and race through the mall for my shoes like wild animals and then when you’re one of the small percent with them on they know you raised hell for that pair. :lol:

Raffle took the fun out of it.
my injury has been a blessing in disguise in some way. I'm not so active with ballin for now. if not for that, I would have bought 2 more pairs of the 36 and possibly 2 more pairs of the Cuts.

As washed dawg...that's my only issue with working out previously. That muscle can turn into fat if you're not consistent and not managing your diet appropriately.

I used to be sub 200 with some upper body muscles (obviously skipping leg day lol)...but when I started to actively work out and my metabolism fell off a cliff...man oh man.

This still makes me laugh. Exactly one year apart 115->170. 7k+ calories a day and StrongLifts.

E0A49CE2-A004-4591-A6AE-6044ADD1AC8E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom