STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

this question might be for someone but for me, my cardios are.....

Sprints, Swimming, Jogging. I love swimming the best.
Are you a good swimmer?

Sadly my washed self never learned to swim as a youth. I found a wily Brazilian last year who taught me to finally freestyle, breast stroke and side stroke. I can't butterfly for ish. That dude is a dolphin.

What's your typical swim?

This still makes me laugh. Exactly one year apart 115->170. 7k+ calories a day and StrongLifts.

E0A49CE2-A004-4591-A6AE-6044ADD1AC8E.jpeg
your pic on the right would be my current frame but at 210 lbs? anyways, have to hit the scale first to make sure that it is still is. the only difference is, I'm cutting.

That’s where I’m happy, I’m 180 now but can be just as strong at 170 now always since I’ve been lifting some years.

I bulked all the way to 200 and felt gross but I got strong off it.

Are you a good swimmer?

Sadly my washed self never learned to swim as a youth. I found a wily Brazilian last year who taught me to finally freestyle, breast stroke and side stroke. I can't butterfly for ish. That dude is a dolphin.

What's your typical swim?
I'm a medium speed swimmer. started out just knowing the basics to becoming an efficient one. don't get me wrong, I only became an efficient one during my late 20s. my great motivation was seeing young kids swimming better than I was and that fired me up and awoke my competitive nature.

I'm typically a backstroke and breaststroke swimmer. I normally do a 14x50m on my regular swim x3-x4 a week. due to the pandemic, that has been halted. I would definitely have to re-acquaint and recondition myself since I would definitely be out of sync and gassed once I return.

That’s where I’m happy, I’m 180 now but can be just as strong at 170 now always since I’ve been lifting some years.

I bulked all the way to 200 and felt gross but I got strong off it.
I love 170 and 180 for me would be acceptable. I once hit 159 when I did hit the gym 4 times a week for 3 months before my mother's 60th Day event. light as a feather but got pushed around in basketball. that's why 170 would be ideal overall.

I'm a medium speed swimmer. started out just knowing the basics to becoming an efficient one. don't get me wrong, I only became an efficient one during my late 20s. my great motivation was seeing young kids swimming better than I was and that fired me up and awoke my competitive nature.

I'm typically a backstroke and breaststroke swimmer. I normally do a 14x50m on my regular swim x3-x4 a week. due to the pandemic, that has been halted. I would definitely have to re-acquaint and recondition myself since I would definitely be out of sync and gassed once I return.
I swam 3X last week. The lap pool at my apartment complex is only 25 yards. And certain portions go as high as 3.5 feet I think. I typically do 20 laps backstroke then freestyle. Since I'm moving and never swam as a youngster, I finally did a mile in the pool. It made me sleepy.

For whatever reason, I don't care for the breast stroke even though it seems like the easy mode (after back stroke).

That's great you have access to a 50m pool.

What do you do for cardio?
Mainly just brisk walking mixed in with a little sprinting. Other stuff includes burpees and some more jumping workouts. About to get a bag and do some boxing workouts to keep things fresh.

Still want to burn off about 20 more pounds. Currently in the mid to upper 190s. A far cry from being 250 at a little under 6'2 though. Was at that about year ago.

Definitely outside so long as the weather is good. Hate treadmills.

My gym does have this stair machine I like though. It'll humble you real quick when you first start using it.

My gym does have this stair machine I like though. It'll humble you real quick when you first start using it.
Are you referring to the stair master or something different than that?

Speaking of stair exercises, I used to do some of that at work going to the emergency exit jogging up and down from the ground floor to the 3rd floor. Really humbling and make you sweat like crazy.

Think it'd be classified a stair master. Really expensive piece of equipment though. Gym owner told me it cost him 10k.

All I know is if you crank that thing up to a good speed you ain't lasting long at first.

I swam 3X last week. The lap pool at my apartment complex is only 25 yards. And certain portions go as high as 3.5 feet I think. I typically do 20 laps backstroke then freestyle. Since I'm moving and never swam as a youngster, I finally did a mile in the pool. It made me sleepy.

For whatever reason, I don't care for the breast stroke even though it seems like the easy mode (after back stroke).

That's great you have access to a 50m pool.
One of the pools that I go to is a combo pool divided into a kids pool, standard 25m and a diving pool. They convert it to a full 50m only early in the morning and late in the evening which is fine. It's funny that those can be a notion but the freestyle is also considered the easiest. Personally, it has more to do with the person's best or expertise. The two looks easy because they are slower than the other styles. But definitely the butterfly is the toughest. To add some challenge, I do lap times as well and do interval breathing or hold my breath after 2 or 3 dips. Swimming is a great cardio exercise and would really make you sleepy. Also I'd feel like I'm having a fever since I feel my body burning even when lying down or sleeping.

Last edited:
my warm up / cardio
3 minute jump rope (no stopping)
3 minute shadow box no weights

5 minute shadow box w/ 5lb dumbbells; 90 second plank directly after
5 minute shadow box no weights; 10 burpees directly after
5 minute shadow box w/ 5lb dumbbells; 90 second plank directly after
5 minute shadow box no weights; 10 burpees directly after

3 minute cool off jump rope. No stop.

Then on to weights.

Sounds like the bogus kick boxing class I had yesterday. 😂

I sweat easy. I felt bad. Some dude had to hold my ankles and raise his legs up. A drip of my delta infused sweat fell on him. He stopped and opted to just use the heavy bag lol.

Respect. I can’t jump rope for ish.

Also my old knees hate the stair master. Though it is definitely a good workout.

Lol man it upsets me seeing people in those rip-off “kickboxing” classes. :smh:

If you know it’s just cardio.. cool. But if anyone is being fooled into thinking they can learn to fight in the slightest.. it upsets me.

Pretty heavy weight for shadow boxing. 2-3lbs is ideal imo.
I agree actually but my gym only has 5lb +

FWIW those rounds are MUCH slower than my non weight rounds. I do it mainly for the resistance on my arms when I’m tired and want to drop them. All the punches are much slower. For me mentally it sorta emulates the feeling of being gassed in later rounds.

Only real risk I feel I have is throwing my left hook.. that one gotta be slow and all muscle-over. Almost no speed.

I agree actually but my gym only has 5lb +

FWIW those rounds are MUCH slower than my non weight rounds. I do it mainly for the resistance on my arms when I’m tired and want to drop them. All the punches are much slower. For me mentally it sorta emulates the feeling of being gassed in later rounds.

Only real risk I feel I have is throwing my left hook.. that one gotta be slow and all muscle-over. Almost no speed.

The heavier the more risk for injury esp when fatigue sets in. Wanna keep it light and focus on technique/form and speed. I dont think i seen any of the pro guys at the gym going heavier than 2 or 3lbs, and its usually the heavyweight mans taking the 3lbs.

Check out Marshalls or similar stores, i found a 2lbs set at one for the crib. I do rounds while i got a game on. Dont have the most space in my apt, but i got a decent area infront of the tv. Turn on whatever game and do a few rounds, work on footwork etc. Bought a leather rope recently too, those are so fire.

If you know it’s just cardio.. cool. But if anyone is being fooled into thinking they can learn to fight in the slightest.. it upsets me.
It’s free at my apartment complex. Plus instructor a baddie lol.

But I’m under no illusion. I can’t even pick up my leg to round house lol (I’m so old).

haven't seen those rip-off kickboxing classes but my son attends martial arts classes. they haven't started proper fighting, sparring and self-defense not til they reached advanced level. it felt like a rip-off especially it takes years to get to advanced level and possible if skipping some levels was not permissible. having seen him struggle more now compared to when he was in the beginners and intermediate level but conditioning is a huge part of it. he goes to his classes twice a week and I train him at home atleast 3 times a week inorder to keep up and build his endurance. he is overweight right now and we are trying to eliminate his excess fat to manageable level.

Back
Top Bottom