STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

You still in the Tampa area? I was looking for you me of them old school gyms when I was there but couldn’t find one. Crunch had the views though :smokin

I believe they just opened up a new EoS Fitness in Brandon by the mall too.

No, not in Florida anymore for years now. :emoji_cry:

What's up y'all. Gym newbie here seeking advice.

Whenever I try to focus on my back, I wake up the next day with incredible pain (soreness?) I'm talking low resistance work, like light dumbbells and resistance bands.

I take care to focus on proper form and breathing. And obviously, back damage can be permanent so I'm treading lightly. Do y'all think I'm doing something wrong, or is my back simply going into shock (for lack of better terms) after never being worked? Any suggested stretches for before or after?

Whenever I try to focus on my back, I wake up the next day with incredible pain (soreness?) I'm talking low resistance work, like light dumbbells and resistance bands.

I take care to focus on proper form and breathing. And obviously, back damage can be permanent so I'm treading lightly. Do y'all think I'm doing something wrong, or is my back simply going into shock (for lack of better terms) after never being worked? Any suggested stretches for before or after?

It's important to be able to differentiate here. There's a big difference between incredible pain (with the back this would typically be disc issues...) and muscle soreness.

You should probably check in with a reputable trainer / strength coach so they can observe / assess what you're doing.

any history of back injury? are you doing stretches before and after work-out? do you cold shower after work-out? are you over-doing it?

It's important to be able to differentiate here. There's a big difference between incredible pain (with the back this would typically be disc issues...) and muscle soreness.

You should probably check in with a reputable trainer / strength coach so they can observe / assess what you're doing.
any history of back injury? are you doing stretches before and after work-out? do you cold shower after work-out? are you over-doing it?

What are your stats (age/height/weight)?

What exercises are you doing when you "focus on back"? Sets, reps, weight.

Lastly, not sure what you meant by back damage being permanent. Any injury can have chronic or permanent complications or effects.
dahell2.png

It doesn't seem normal to have extreme pain or soreness if you're only using light DBs and resistance bands and you're an otherwise healthy young person (presumably a man).
hubie.png

No history of back injury. I stretch, but haven’t done the cold showers. I may give that a try and reach out to a trainer like smedroc smedroc suggested.

Prolly the best approach. I would look up and find a strength or Olympic lifting or powerlifting coach and not a personal trainer.

Cold showers vs hot should absolutely no bearing on whether you experience "incredible pain (or soreness)" though.

I don't think anyone mentioned this but soreness (read: DOMS) is perfectly normal when you first start lifting.

Depending on how long you've been training and how often you hit back, that could be part of it.

You didn't post your workout or stats like I asked so I won't spend anymore time playing detective.

Good luck.
francis.png

Prolly the best approach. I would look up and find a strength or Olympic lifting or powerlifting coach and not a personal trainer.

Cold showers vs hot should absolutely no bearing on whether you experience "incredible pain (or soreness)" though.

I don't think anyone mentioned this but soreness (read: DOMS) is perfectly normal when you first start lifting.

Depending on how long you've been training and how often you hit back, that could be part of it.

You didn't post your workout or stats like I asked so I won't spend anymore time playing detective.

Good luck.
francis.png

All good brother I appreciate the input ✊🏽

Good luck.
francis.png
for me, cold showers do help make me recover faster or makes the soreness more bearable. problem is that I always have delayed soreness which only comes out 2 days after. so it messes up my recovery cycle of 1 day in between. I do my workout 3X a week, MWF. my new job is more physically demanding, so I need something that could help other than pain killers.

for me, cold showers do help make me recover faster or makes the soreness more bearable. problem is that I always have delayed soreness which only comes out 2 days after. so it messes up my recovery cycle of 1 day in between. I do my workout 3X a week, MWF. my new job is more physically demanding, so I need something that could help other than pain killers.

I don't get DOMs and I lift 6x a week on average (sometimes 7, sometimes 5 if I'm slacking), so I'm guessin' the more advanced a lifter you are, the less hot/cold showers would anecdotally matter.
manny.png

I feel like sleep, hydration, and food matter way more than the temperature you bathe at.
mjgrin.png

finally going to go in on some wrist wraps, for those that use them…what’s the go to type? i’ve seen the kind that basically have ‘hooks’ & the kind that kinda double loops over…pros & cons?? recommendations

I don't get DOMs and I lift 6x a week on average (sometimes 7, sometimes 5 if I'm slacking), so I'm guessin' the more advanced a lifter you are, the less hot/cold showers would anecdotally matter.
manny.png

I feel like sleep, hydration, and food matter way more than the temperature you bathe at.
mjgrin.png
good for you. I guess it's partly genetics as well. I know I used to do a lot and was athletic and do everyday sports for hours and would still get significantly sore after each game. I even wonder why my teammates don't suffer as much as me or much more resistant to have fatigue set in them. I only got into cold showers later in life although what I've noticed though that when I was still hyper-active was that I could do more activities when I pair workouts and sports with winter/cold swims.

good for you. I guess it's partly genetics as well. I know I used to do a lot and was athletic and do everyday sports for hours and would still get significantly sore after each game. I even wonder why my teammates don't suffer as much as me or much more resistant to have fatigue set in them. I only got into cold showers later in life although what I've noticed though that when I was still hyper-active was that I could do more activities when I pair workouts and sports with winter/cold swims.
also, I did 4-5 time cold swims a week. too bad all the indoor pools are temperature regulated except for the outdoor pools which are already closed and drained for the winter. thias is what I miss about being in Europe. guess I have to settle with the bathtub.

finally going to go in on some wrist wraps, for those that use them…what’s the go to type? i’ve seen the kind that basically have ‘hooks’ & the kind that kinda double loops over…pros & cons?? recommendations
I’ve used Versa Grips before and they were legit. They’re a bit expensive tho.

Tank Top Master Tank Top Master I realized I didn’t post my thoughts on your push day workout you posted. I thought it was legit and I felt like I got a better workout when compared to just doing a typical chest day or shoulders. I’m going to roll with a push pull leg routine for a while and see what kinda progress I make.

I have three different types across several different brands and gym bags:

1)
91IMaoET+gL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Hook and Loop

2)
715z8K0DYKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Metal Buckle

3)
61fqpZcl8mL._AC_SL1102_.jpg

Long Johns

I use the Long Johns for competition bench press singles only.

I use the Hook and Loop for heavy squats and sometimes OHP.

I use the Metal Buckle for all other bench, squat, deadliff, and overhead press sets.

Since you only prolly have 0-1 gym bags, don't compete, and presumably don't want to buy several different pairs (i.e. are a normal person), get a pair of either the metal buckle or the hook and loop in the stiffest fabric you can find and call it good.

Tank Top Master Tank Top Master I realized I didn’t post my thoughts on your push day workout you posted. I thought it was legit and I felt like I got a better workout when compared to just doing a typical chest day or shoulders. I’m going to roll with a push pull leg routine for a while and see what kinda progress I make.

Huh, that's good to hear.

I actually felt the opposite, like I used up more chakra than I usually do when I do a PPL.

Workouts are much shorter and contain fewer exercises and sets, but the density is greater and the neural fatigue is higher, because I'm doing more sets with a barbell than normal.

Imma actually hop out rn the crib and run my Upper/Lower/Upper/Lower/Upper/Lower/Off for the next 7-8 weeks until it's meet prep time.

Let me know if you need additional help wit it though.

I have three different types across several different brands and gym bags:

1)
91IMaoET+gL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Hook and Loop

2)
715z8K0DYKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Metal Buckle

3)
61fqpZcl8mL._AC_SL1102_.jpg

Long Johns

I use the Long Johns for competition bench press singles only.

I use the Hook and Loop for heavy squats and sometimes OHP.

I use the Metal Buckle for all other bench, squat, deadliff, and overhead press sets.

Since you only prolly have 0-1 gym bags, don't compete, and presumably don't want to buy several different pairs (i.e. are a normal person), get a pair of either the metal buckle or the hook and loop in the stiffest fabric you can find and call it good.

i think i must have used the wrong terminology, i thinking about the wraps that’s primarily for grip on deadlifts…what are the linked wraps for & how much do they help? stability?

i think i must have used the wrong terminology, i thinking about the wraps that’s primarily for grip on deadlifts…what are the linked wraps for & how much do they help? stability?

Not sure what you mean, breh?

The ones that go around the bar for pulls like rows and deads are usually referred to as straps. Anything for just your hand/wrist are called wrist wraps.

I never use straps for deads because they aren’t allowed in sanctioned PL competitions. If you want some for that, by all means. Folk use em cause they work.

I dead in gloves until I hit about 500-545ish pounds, then when the increased slip becomes too much I use liquid and/or powdered chalk.

I don’t do main lifts without wraps since I have thin little boy wrists and don’t see the point in not using them. If you have thicker wrists or more resilient joints then YMMV more.

As for prices, anywhere from like 11 bucks (ones like the first ones) to the long johns (they ran me 60) but they all do the same thing.

Not sure what you mean, breh?

The ones that go around the bar for pulls like rows and deads are usually referred to as straps. Anything for just your hand/wrist are called wrist wraps.

I never use straps for deads because they aren’t allowed in sanctioned PL competitions. If you want some for that, by all means. Folk use em cause they work.

I dead in gloves until I hit about 500-545ish pounds, then when the increased slip becomes too much I use liquid and/or powdered chalk.

I don’t do main lifts without wraps since I have thin little boy wrists and don’t see the point in not using them. If you have thicker wrists or more resilient joints then YMMV more.

As for prices, anywhere from like 11 bucks (ones like the first ones) to the long johns (they ran me 60) but they all do the same thing.

yea, my fault, i meant straps...what do wrist wraps do?

Back
Top Bottom