STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

I know you're gonna do what you want so I'll say this: that seems like way too many reps to work your way up to 285.
dahell2.png
If 285 is within 10% of your PR,
ufdup.png

Also, if you accessory lifts aren't on point (lifts, not plyos, calis, conditioning but lifts) aren't on point, I feel like your Big 3 will continue to stagnate and stall.
hubie.png
Man you got all this advice, you might as well post your workout regiment and bless the rest of us :lol:

I know you're gonna do what you want so I'll say this: that seems like way too many reps to work your way up to 285.
dahell2.png
If 285 is within 10% of your PR,
ufdup.png

Also, if you accessory lifts aren't on point (lifts, not plyos, calis, conditioning but lifts) aren't on point, I feel like your Big 3 will continue to stagnate and stall.
hubie.png

to be honest, i’m not sure how to really progress but i do know that i need the reps just because this year (2023) was the 1st time really being consistent with actual doing bench press (added about 30 lbs to my max so far w/inconsistent form), started lifting in 2021 mostly squatting, then deadlifting more, that would be it basically for lifts…

at 40+ i try to be pretty conservative about really going all out, i don’t really focus too much on trying to increase my compound lifts necessarily as i try to go by how lifts subjectively feel/how they look so even if my max numbers stagnate i know i can get better technique wise; which should & has yielded increases, i’ve added to all my lifts this year

to be honest, i’m not sure how to really progress but i do know that i need the reps just because this year (2023) was the 1st time really being consistent with actual doing bench press (added about 30 lbs to my max so far w/inconsistent form), started lifting in 2021 mostly squatting, then deadlifting more, that would be it basically for lifts…

at 40+ i try to be pretty conservative about really going all out, i don’t really focus too much on trying to increase my compound lifts necessarily as i try to go by how lifts subjectively feel/how they look so even if my max numbers stagnate i know i can get better technique wise; which should & has yielded increases, i’ve added to all my lifts this year

Nah, I meant literally doing that many sets x reps while working up. Fifteen pound jumps aren't crazy but doing that many sets for 7 reps a pop, it's no wonder you missed 285.
francis.png

Hitting a bunch of intermediate sets prolly just unnecessarily wasted your chakra.
Naruto-Damn.png

I went up to 97% yesterday before throwing on the Sling Shot and jumped up from a light final working set of 1x3x230 to my first single at 1x1x290. I kicked up each single by 20 lbs.

The age thing is just an excuse you've made up. I see folks (read: amateurs) at powerlifting comps older than you moving heavier weights; if they can "go all out" so can you.

I notice you're not 40+ and too old to be going all out when it comes to backflipping or hooping or what have you. If anything, powerlifting seems much safer than all that other stuff.
manny.png

Man you got all this advice, you might as well post your workout regiment and bless the rest of us :lol:

Eh, I have advice but not everyone is receptive to it. I used to post my WoDs ITT but didn't see much use for doing so, so I stopped.

I offer to take newbs/****arounders to the gym to show them The Whey and they either decline outright, lie and kick the can down the road, or try and fail miserably and then quickly quit.

Only one has ever completed the training successfully and became a member of the TankTopper Army.
full

Right now I'm doing a low-volume PPL based on 5/3/1 Who Was CNS, after doing two different upper lowers for the last 4+ months.

Comp coming up that I'll begin prepping for in Jan.

Yesterday was push:

Flat Bench Press: (all paused)
1x5x165
1x3x180
1x5x190
1x3x205
1x5x220
1x3x230
1x1x290
1x1x305
1x1x320

Slingshot Bench Press: (still paused)
1x1x325
1x1x330
1x5x275
1x5x275

Military Press: (standing ofc)
1x5x105
1x3x115
1x5x120
1x3x130
1x5x140
1x3x145
1x1x165
1x1x175

Incline DB Press: 2x10x120
Lateral Raise: 3x12x30
Reverse-Grip Tricep Pushdowns: 3x20x105
Face Pulls: 3x10x110

Nah, I meant literally doing that many sets x reps while working up. Fifteen pound jumps aren't crazy but doing that many sets for 7 reps a pop, it's no wonder you missed 285.
francis.png

Hitting a bunch of intermediate sets prolly just unnecessarily wasted your chakra.
Naruto-Damn.png

I went up to 97% yesterday before throwing on the Sling Shot and jumped up from a light final working set of 1x3x230 to my first single at 1x1x290. I kicked up each single by 20 lbs.

The age thing is just an excuse you've made up. I see folks (read: amateurs) at powerlifting comps older than you moving heavier weights; if they can "go all out" so can you.

I notice you're not 40+ and too old to be going all out when it comes to backflipping or hooping or what have you. If anything, powerlifting seems much safer than all that other stuff.
manny.png

yea, haven’t gotten familiar enough with benchpress to really gauge bigger jumps (i do considerably worse when taking bigger jumps) & i didn’t really feel gassed for the 2 failed 285 attempts just felt too off & didn’t plant stable enough to finish the lifts; not really used to grinding out pressing reps, i wuss out honestly

true, using age is an excuse…but i been doing backflips & hooping my whole life basically so i know how to adjust/judge/modulate those activities more or less naturally but lifting is still a bit foreign to me; for 2024 i think i’m going to switch up to a more bodybuilding approach & get back to hooping more

Eh, I have advice but not everyone is receptive to it. I used to post my WoDs ITT but didn't see much use for doing so, so I stopped.

I offer to take newbs/****arounders to the gym to show them The Whey and they either decline outright, lie and kick the can down the road, or try and fail miserably and then quickly quit.

Only one has ever completed the training successfully and became a member of the TankTopper Army.
full

Right now I'm doing a low-volume PPL based on 5/3/1 Who Was CNS, after doing two different upper lowers for the last 4+ months.

Comp coming up that I'll begin prepping for in Jan.

Yesterday was push:

Flat Bench Press: (all paused)
1x5x165
1x3x180
1x5x190
1x3x205
1x5x220
1x3x230
1x1x290
1x1x305
1x1x320

Slingshot Bench Press: (still paused)
1x1x325
1x1x330
1x5x275
1x5x275

Military Press: (standing ofc)
1x5x105
1x3x115
1x5x120
1x3x130
1x5x140
1x3x145
1x1x165
1x1x175

Incline DB Press: 2x10x120
Lateral Raise: 3x12x30
Reverse-Grip Tricep Pushdowns: 3x20x105
Face Pulls: 3x10x110
I'm going to run this on Tuesday. I have to find something to swap out w/ slingshot bench. I'll report back and let you know how it goes :smokin

yea, haven’t gotten familiar enough with benchpress to really gauge bigger jumps (i do considerably worse when taking bigger jumps) & i didn’t really feel gassed for the 2 failed 285 attempts just felt too off & didn’t plant stable enough to finish the lifts; not really used to grinding out pressing reps, i wuss out honestly

true, using age is an excuse…but i been doing backflips & hooping my whole life basically so i know how to adjust/judge/modulate those activities more or less naturally but lifting is still a bit foreign to me; for 2024 i think i’m going to switch up to a more bodybuilding approach & get back to hooping more

Fair enough. Ironically, focusing more on BBing will mean you'll prolly struggle lifting maximal weights even more.

Lifting heavy singles is a skill and there's a whole sport based around it.
mjgrin.png

Knowing how big a jump you can take will take more time; it will vary from lifter to lifter and from lift to lift.

But again, we all have different goals so good luck with your progress in 2024.
ehh3.png

I'm going to run this on Tuesday. I have to find something to swap out w/ slingshot bench. I'll report back and let you know how it goes :smokin

Please do. Again, this is a low volume take on PPL for me so I am curious to see how it works.

Less accessory movements and more sets with the barbell means the workouts are more fatiguing but take less time than my usual PPL setup.

(Yesterday took about 125 minutes but I only did two singles for OHP.)

I added Front Squats to Pull day before deadlifting to increase overall squat frequency since 2x/wk doesn't cut it for me.

Boards, a bench block, or a dense foam block (if your gym has them) will work for a board press, but board presses have less carryover to raw powerlifting than a Sling Shot bench.

You could also bench in the rack and use bands in reverse, or do a Spoto press to improve your strength off the chest.

Paused Sling Shot work has really helped me break through a two year plateau, I feel.

I'm doing the same formula as if I had an injury
R - Rest (complete 8 hours without disruption, rest day)
I - Ice (whether Ice Baths, Cold showers, ice packs)
C - Compression (wrapping part of your body that is swelling or in pain)
E - Elevation (raising a part of of your body which is sore above your heart

I will also add, cycling thru your routine or designating target exercises for certain days. I used to do all exercises in a single day but at my current age, my recovery period takes way longer now.

aside from that, I think everyone mentioned what else you can do.
ty fam

A grown man with 2 plates on his back not have you in the next rack over with the
gladbron.png
face.
merchant.png

I don’t even think dude realized he was squatting a plate but using a 35 lb Bella bar either.
snoop.png

Came to Florida for da holidays

Drive by a strip mall with a place called “hardcore gym”

Me:
“Yeah aight how hardcore”

Go inside and it’s paradise, all old school equipment and all the goods for accessories

Honey I’m home
What part of FL? I just left the Tampa area not too long ago.

Was never a fan.
(If we're talking the Columbia restaurant in Ybor.)
You still in the Tampa area? I was looking for you me of them old school gyms when I was there but couldn’t find one. Crunch had the views though :smokin

I believe they just opened up a new EoS Fitness in Brandon by the mall too.

Back
Top Bottom