STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

I think I`m gonna just start lifting later at night, the gym wasnt really packed but I didnt like having to carry all my work clothes and crap and get changed then go lift. I just like getting in and out.

I know it depends on area but you think the gym would be dying down by 7 or 730? Might end doing IF and do this

Shake for lunch at work

PBJ Sammich when I get home at like 430-5

Gym at 7pm

PWO shake

Dinner at 9pm

sleep at 1130.

And to the tall brahs, is it me or does squating feel crazy unnatural? I did 135>185>205 just to work on my form and the weight was light as heck, but I didnt feel as smooth as the people when I see it done on video, I dont want to tweak my back like I did last time so I`m debating tossing out squats like I did before.

And to the tall brahs, is it me or does squating feel crazy unnatural? I did 135>185>205 just to work on my form and the weight was light as heck, but I didnt feel as smooth as the people when I see it done on video, I dont want to tweak my back like I did last time so I`m debating tossing out squats like I did before.
Not tall (5'11) but squats feel awkward to me too. Feels awkward on the knees.

The fact my nerves in my left knee are all kinds of screwed up after a kneecap stabilisation surgery doesn't help either.

I got a new addiction

I've eaten 4 pints in the past week :x

Last edited:
The fact my nerves in my left knee are all kinds of screwed up after a kneecap stabilisation surgery doesn't help either.

like I can feel it in my lower back and I dont like the feel because I think I`m gonna tweak it any second. I dont want to use a belt either because I hear if you get one before you start squating heavy weights it will give you a false sense of strength.

whats your feet placement like?

Ive never really felt any weird feelings in my knees

maybe try with just the bar and do like 20-30 reps changing up your foot placement and try to find a position that is comfortable to you.

@Lucky Squats are great i wouldn't throw them out completely keep working at it no rush to get things right as long as you are not going too heavy until you perfect your form.

Competition mode is over so I've been eating pretty freely. Crazy how I was craving and dying for all these foods during prep but now that I can eat em I don't really have a taste for em anymore lol.

Oh yea took first in my class and second overall :nthat:, now to decide on what national show ima do.

Last edited:

like I can feel it in my lower back and I dont like the feel because I think I`m gonna tweak it any second. I dont want to use a belt either because I hear if you get one before you start squating heavy weights it will give you a false sense of strength.

If i were to guess i would try to keep your back straight most people i see when the weight gets heavy they lean forward

http://stronglifts.com/squats-exercise-lower-back-pain/

1. The Bar Is Too High. When you Squat high bar don't try to sit back like when Squatting low bar. This is a guaranteed way to stress your lower back because the barbell is too far away from your body's center of gravity. Either Squat high bar and keep your torso upright, or put the bar lower and sit back.

I am NOT against high bar Olympic Squats, but when you're doing StrongLifts 5x5 I recommend you to Squat low bar because that gives you much better leverage (you'll lift more weight, and thus gain more muscle/lose more fat)

2. You're Squatting Too Deep. First, you can not Squat "***-to-grass" low bar or your lower back will round at the bottom - you need the high bar position for that. Next, if you're going to Squat rock bottom with the high bar position, then make sure you're flexible enough for that otherwise your lower back will round at the bottom, and this will hurt once you're Squatting weights heavy enough.

The fact is that most guys do not have the hip flexibility to Squat "***-to-grass" because they're too sedentary (not your fault, I'm also a desk jockey). That's why I advise you to Squat low bar and stop when you hit parallel. It's safe on your knees, safer on your lower back, and you'll Squat more weight.

3. You're Not Staying Tight. So you're not Squatting too deep, but your lower back is still rounding at the bottom, now what? Well make sure you're not losing tension in the bottom of the Squat. Here's how to stay tight:

Tilt your tailbone back - Squat down by sitting back with your hips, and keep your lower back tight by pushing your tailbone towards to ceiling.
Pinch your psoas - this will automatically pull your lower back straight, pinch the muscle between your belly and your upper-thighs.
Tighten your upper-back - you can't keep your lower back tight if your upper-back is loose. Lift your chest and keep your shoulder-blades tight.
Be warned, this position will not feel that comfortable if your hips are all tight from sitting a lot. Just keep practicing, you'll quickly improve if you stick with it.

4. You're Not Using Your Glutes. If you're a desk jockey like me, you'll tend to Squat with your lower back too arched. But hyperextending your lower back is as bad as rounding it at the bottom. One trick to keep your lower back neutral is to engage your glutes when you Squat. Here's how:

Push your knees out - make sure your stance is at least shoulder-width and then rotate your hips outwards as you Squat.
Grab the floor with your feet - this creates a hollow in your feet and allows you to push your knees out better (wear the right shoes).
Stand tall - finish the lockout portion of all your Squats by moving your hips forward and contracting your glutes hard.

5. You're Not Using Your Abs. Never Squat with your belly pulled in to activate your TVA like some of those idiot personal trainers will tell you to do. This is a guaranteed way to suffer a hernia because your lower back will round.

You should always take a big breath before you Squat, fill your belly with air, and then push your abs out. This increases pressure in your belly, adds support to your lower back, and will automatically boost your Squat.

One trick to learn how to use your abs correctly is to wear a powerlifting belt when you Squat. Wear it one notch loose, pull air into your belly and then Squat while pushing your abs against the belt. I own the Inzer Forever Belt 10mm single prong and highly recommend it (no affiliate link, not paid to say this).

It should be clear that if your lower back hurts on Squats, it is almost always a problem of technique, not of the exercise. Don't be one of those Squats-hurt-my-back-whiners. Tape yourself, fix your technique and pass on the word.

Competition mode is over so I've been eating pretty freely. Crazy how I was craving and dying for all these foods during prep but now that I can eat em I don't really have a taste for em anymore lol.

Oh yea took first in my class and second overall
nthat.gif
, now to decide on what national show ima do.
Good work fam 
nthat.gif

Lucky don't throw out squats, they are so key in overall strength and progress, trust me you will get used to them after awhile.

whats your feet placement like?

Ive never really felt any weird feelings in my knees

maybe try with just the bar and do like 20-30 reps changing up your foot placement and try to find a position that is comfortable to you.

@Lucky Squats are great i wouldn't throw them out completely keep working at it no rush to get things right as long as you are not going too heavy until you perfect your form.

Yea Im just gonna go slow and steady, I do leg press heavy so I guess that will carry the slack until I get my squats in order.

Are those romaleos? I want some of those but don't feel like dropping $200 on some and just use them for squats and reads. 

Anyone know of a good powerlifting shoe?

I wear Do-Wins, those are Old School powerlifting shoes, I have some Adidas 5 toe shoes but I rarely wear them because they are annoying to put on. I want some Ramelos (sp) but my Do-Wins are still holding up strong and seem that they will last some years. I have some Vans I wear when I forget my shoes or if im at my girls house and need to go to the gym and they are great too. All you need are shoes that will keep your feed flat. Many people use Chucks.

Are those romaleos? I want some of those but don't feel like dropping $200 on some and just use them for squats and reads. 
yeah they were expensive but i sold some of my other shoes and had some money. they're really nice to use and i like how stable my foot feels and the heel lift is nice. the shoe is super solid - walk like frankenstein. those and the knee bands have helped me come a long way with improving my squats. the weight is still low but the volume has been upped and my confidence with the movement is also much better.

yeah they were expensive but i sold some of my other shoes and had some money. they're really nice to use and i like how stable my foot feels and the heel lift is nice. the shoe is super solid - walk like frankenstein. those and the knee bands have helped me come a long way with improving my squats. the weight is still low but the volume has been upped and my confidence with the movement is also much better.
Good looks, might bite the bullet and cop some.
I wear Do-Wins, those are Old School powerlifting shoes, I have some Adidas 5 toe shoes but I rarely wear them because they are annoying to put on. I want some Ramelos (sp) but my Do-Wins are still holding up strong and seem that they will last some years. I have some Vans I wear when I forget my shoes or if im at my girls house and need to go to the gym and they are great too. All you need are shoes that will keep your feed flat. Many people use Chucks.

Squat form takes a while to nail down. So much of it has to do with flexibility, mobility, and core strength.

Start foam rolling and doing mobility work.

You have to develop ques that work for your form cause everyone is different.

Personally, I squat 3 times a week (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday). Only 1 day heavy, and the other 2 days are light for mobility.

I'm wearing some low-top flat soled chuck-type kicks, they do the job

Personally, i'm squatting twice a week, or three times, depends on how the push/pull/legs/off split i'm running works out on X week.

Last edited:
whats the best protein shake? tryna gain some muscle mass on the arms cause im scrawny as hell lol.

Started working out a couple weeks ago. also, when are you supposed to drink protein shake? i heard its after you work out?

get what you can afford, and drink when you want. Most people drink a shake after workout.

Back
Top Bottom