STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Bison is nice. Make sure it's grass-fed if you want the best quality, otherwise I see no reason in getting it due to the cost. Consider adding in different meats like seafood, other poultry, etc. Cook in bulk and heat the food up. Protein bars are usually candy bars with marginal protein sources used. Shakes should be reserved for post workout.

You may want to invest in a slow cooker and have one type of meat per day, cooking 1-2 lbs overnight is very easy. Saves the hassle of cooking 4 times/day and tastes good.

The protein bars I eat have a decent profile or I wouldn't eat them and I do have my shake post workout.

I have had food prep days in the past and it does make things easier, but the taste is horrendous compared to taking food right off the grill.

I will look into a slow cooker though. Thanks.

Also, for those of you still in school, how do you eat healthy off your less than ideal budget? The one cafeteria I frequent has unlimited chicken breasts, egg whites, romaine salads, pasta, etc., but its hours are terrible. Otherwise at other spots on campus I'm dropping lots of money for a tiny bit of healthy food... and don't even get me started at night past around 11 when only fast food is open. I have a lot of whey in my room but that's it.
Cheap healthy food...

1. Carrots
2. Garbanzo beans
3. Oatmeal
4. Cottage cheese
5. Chicken breasts
6. Eggs
7. Brown rice
8. Whole wheat pasta
9. Frozen veggies
10. Whey

I know it has been discussed and i know the go to answer is "whatever works for you" or "each person is different"

But if i am trying to put on 5lbs....is 40/40/20 split a good start? I know i will probably need to up the carbs since i have to up my cardio soon for soccer. But a lot of varying opinions it seems on splits. Just looking for what you guys started with.

I know it has been discussed and i know the go to answer is "whatever works for you" or "each person is different"

But if i am trying to put on 5lbs....is 40/40/20 split a good start? I know i will probably need to up the carbs since i have to up my cardio soon for soccer. But a lot of varying opinions it seems on splits. Just looking for what you guys started with.
Don't focus on the split. Focus on the calories. You're in good shape already, right? Try to add 1/2lb/week if you want to do it clean. That's 1750 extra calories per week, or 250 extra calories per day. Add in two tablespoons of olive oil to your dinner and you're good to go.

Don't focus on the split. Focus on the calories. You're in good shape already, right? Try to add 1/2lb/week if you want to do it clean. That's 1750 extra calories per week, or 250 extra calories per day. Add in two tablespoons of olive oil to your dinner and you're good to go.

Appreciate it man

I put that into myfitnesspal "gain .5 pounds per week" and it was saying something like 351g carb and 96g of protein. I was like uh.... maybe i need to add more protein. So i went to change the goals and wasn't sure what the best start would be. I set it to 50carbs 30pro 20fat to start for now.

My biggest problem is just finding time to eat. Up at 5am drive to work eat yogurt and banana at work. Lunch is chicken breast and veges every day. Then home gym and dinner. I don't have time to really get a good snack in between there. It ends up turning into trying to just eat 2 dinners one at 7 one at 9 before bed to get my calories in.

Also, for those of you still in school, how do you eat healthy off your less than ideal budget? The one cafeteria I frequent has unlimited chicken breasts, egg whites, romaine salads, pasta, etc., but its hours are terrible. Otherwise at other spots on campus I'm dropping lots of money for a tiny bit of healthy food... and don't even get me started at night past around 11 when only fast food is open. I have a lot of whey in my room but that's it.

I live off campus so I can just make all my food and I end up bringing meals to campus. It's sounding like you live dorms? In that case, you'll probably need to make sure you get the bulk of your calories during cafeteria hours and invest in snacks for other times throughout the day

Just checked the sodium for Chick Fil A...1400mg of sodium per sandwich had my mind blown. I need to find other ways to get my calories in without eating out...it seems like I'm eating forever when I attempt to do it cleanly.

Truth to be told, I'd rather be cutting than bulking right now. 1.8k calories wasn't hard to hit, but 3k is a pain.

Carbs are your bodies primary source of energy/fuel.

I eat carbs, but I try to keep them complex i.e. brown rice, yams.  Just my two cents

The fear of carbs in this thread is scary itself.

:lol: I don't "fear" food, much less an essential nutrient...just trying to switch things up. New goals I guess we can say. I said I'd run keto for the rest of this workout routine and will reassess afterward. I've got to say though, mirror wise this **** is awesome :lol:
Just checked the sodium for Chick Fil A...1400mg of sodium per sandwich had my mind blown. I need to find other ways to get my calories in without eating out...it seems like I'm eating forever when I attempt to do it cleanly.

Truth to be told, I'd rather be cutting than bulking right now. 1.8k calories wasn't hard to hit, but 3k is a pain.

DUDE TELL ME ABOUT IT! #THESTRUGGLE ! Haha I'd much rather be at a deficit due to it being easy to stay under than trying to climb this food mountain :lol:

Cheap healthy food...

1. Carrots
2. Garbanzo beans
3. Oatmeal
4. Cottage cheese
5. Chicken breasts
6. Eggs
7. Brown rice
8. Whole wheat pasta
9. Frozen veggies
10. Whey
i wouldnt call chicken breasts a cheap healthy food, well at least the ones i get. the Grass fed, all natural ones i get are almost $10 for a pack four breasts 

do you guys care about where and how you chicken was made? ive bought chicken in bulk like at sams club, but i try not to buy meats frozen 

i wouldnt call chicken breasts a cheap healthy food, well at least the ones i get. the Grass fed, all natural ones i get are almost $10 for a pack four breasts 

do you guys care about where and how you chicken was made? ive bought chicken in bulk like at sams club, but i try not to buy meats frozen 

I do. I go strictly organic. After reading articles about the USDA letting the industry self-inspect their chicken in a cost-cutting measure, I'm VERY cautious about where I get meat products from.

I wasn't always like this. Once my girl got pregnant, we made the switch to a mostly organic diet to help her through those 9 months. My daughter is now one, and all she eats is organic foods. It's a little more costly, but it gives me somewhat of a peace of mind.

What I can control (food-wise), I will...you can't be vigilant 24/7, but you can do your best to do what you feel is right for your body.

I do. I go strictly organic. After reading articles about the USDA letting the industry self-inspect their chicken in a cost-cutting measure, I'm VERY cautious about where I get meat products from.

I wasn't always like this. Once my girl got pregnant, we made the switch to a mostly organic diet to help her through those 9 months. My daughter is now one, and all she eats is organic foods. It's a little more costly, but it gives me somewhat of a peace of mind.

What I can control (food-wise), I will...you can't be vigilant 24/7, but you can do your best to do what you feel is right for your body.

Is there really a downside though? Sorry i am being lazy and don't feel like googling at work and trying to read up about it. But i think the organic chicken breast taste better. Seems fresher to me. But i was at the grocery store yesterday and it was buy one get one on chicken breast tenders packs....i couldn't pass up. The chicken is stringy...and had fat on it...but for the price...can't beat it.

I guess im asking like if i can put up with the taste/texture of the cheap (fresh) stuff....its still basically the same nutrients right?

Is there really a downside though? Sorry i am being lazy and don't feel like googling at work and trying to read up about it. But i think the organic chicken breast taste better. Seems fresher to me. But i was at the grocery store yesterday and it was buy one get one on chicken breast tenders packs....i couldn't pass up. The chicken is stringy...and had fat on it...but for the price...can't beat it.

I guess im asking like if i can put up with the taste/texture of the cheap (fresh) stuff....its still basically the same nutrients right?

:lol: probably a mental thing, but I swear the meat tastes better if it's organic/local.

:lol: probably a mental thing, but I swear the meat tastes better if it's organic/local.

Its def not mental its true. Something just isn't right with cheap chicken. Some times i buy it for price...but shred it use it in white chicken chili or maybe a quesadilla. When i try to just cut it and eat it like normal...it is hard to get through...breaks apart really unnaturally....idk what it is...but its not the same at all.

I went from 274 to 185ish (won't even mention my height, smh)

Yesterday had some jack for the first time in a month felt horrible , decided ima cut out all that greesy nasty stuff

Copped some bison ground, threw it on some wheat rolls, delicious!

I do all my shopping at Whole Foods, so I don't ever buy cheap :lol:

I buy organic free range chicken when it's on sale. Otherwise I buy non-organic. It's still coming from more humane sources than anything you'd find at Safeway, Giant, Teeter, etc.

Good, we are talking about nutrition.

I know I should be eating Organic but the $ scares me.

JeffJarrett, how much do you spend on the items you buy?

I'm now 3 months into my "lean bulk".  I've been paying alot more attention to my diet.  I get 2600-2800 calories everyday.  The thing is, my weight keeps hovering around the same weight.  I'm 190lbs-193lbs. 

I was beginning to question my methods, until a retired pro-bodybuilder I see at the gym every morning, stopped me and said, "That's good mass your adding".  Can't front, I felt mad good.

But so far, my observation has been, that even though the scale doesn't reflect a large number in weight gain, my body composition has changed, leading to me looking a bit bigger I guess.  Anybody ever dealt with this?

Not the best pics, but you can see growth.  I'm no iLLest, but I'm getting there..lol

Then:                  

Now:

Thanks for the motivation NT fam

I'm now 3 months into my "lean bulk".  I've been paying alot more attention to my diet.  I get 2600-2800 calories everyday.  The thing is, my weight keeps hovering around the same weight.  I'm 190lbs-193lbs. 

I was beginning to question my methods, until a retired pro-bodybuilder I see at the gym every morning, stopped me and said, "That's good mass your adding".  Can't front, I felt mad good.

But so far, my observation has been, that even though the scale doesn't reflect a large number in weight gain, my body composition has changed, leading to me looking a bit bigger I guess.  Anybody ever dealt with this?

Not the best pics, but you can see growth.  I'm no iLLest, but I'm getting there..lol

Then:                  

Now:

Thanks for the motivation NT fam
Yup. I hover around 180-183 and have been there for about two months. However, i look way more solid and built than i did at the beginning of the year. I'm not trying to gain weight though, i'm just trying to drop a bit and lean out. My thoughts are that i am losing fat and its being converted into muscle little by little. 

I'm calling for a blind taste test on y'all swearing organic stuff tastes better. It's all mental IMO

Back
Top Bottom