STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

y’all makin me hungry

I just broke a 5 hour "fast" with some cinnamon rolls I baked.
ahh4.png

So wait do you do 20 hours every day or rotate between 20-no fast-20-etc or like 20-16-20-etc?

I only ask because since my 25.5 hour fast ended at 3:45PM and I planned to fast going tomorrow meaning I only got to eat that 1 meal today :lol: |l I was just curious if you eat one meal or have 4-8 hour block where you can eat? I do the latter with an 8-hour eating block from ~7:15 to to 3:15.

I do atleast 16 which is the least required for sustained ketosis. I push 20 to 24 hours at least twice a week. Honestly it all revolves around me not liking to eat too close to workouts and going to jiu jitsu.

I did my fasting weird this week. Make sure you give yourself an actual stretch of time to eat. I would eat a big meal then immediately restart the clock within an hour. I bought some fruit and healtthy snacks to help with getting calories during that 5 to 6 hour break from fasting.

A friend of mine who got me into this actually measures his ketone levels. I dont know if Im ready for that level of health micromanagement :lol: :smh:

I do atleast 16 which is the least required for sustained ketosis. I push 20 to 24 hours at least twice a week. Honestly it all revolves around me not liking to eat too close to workouts and going to jiu jitsu.

I did my fasting weird this week. Make sure you give yourself an actual stretch of time to eat. I would eat a big meal then immediately restart the clock within an hour. I bought some fruit and healtthy snacks to help with getting calories during that 5 to 6 hour break from fasting.

Damn man, we’re in a very similar boat! I definitely do 16 minimum Monday thru Friday (I start my fasts in the afternoon through the following morning) and then do 20-24 hours on Saturday.

On Sundays I eat a 2lb fruit/cereal/“dairy” bowl in the afternoon then my weekly ice cream later that night :smokin Means that there is no fasting on Sunday going into Monday but it’s my “cheat day” so I don’t mind.

I hear y’all about the whole to each thy own, but I really think I’m for real a hedonist.

If we’re keeping it a buck I’ve known it as fact for like 10 years. :lol:

Y’all really out here not eating food.

95% of the reason I lift is because it is pleasurable. Whether in the moment, immediately after the fact, or viewing the results overtime.

I hear y’all about the whole to each thy own, but I really think I’m for real a hedonist.

95% of the reason I lift is because it is pleasurable. Whether in the moment, immediately after the fact, or viewing the results overtime.

Respectfully, I think the discourse around fasting is a little too critical. Of all the things to criticize a dietary pattern for, deciding to eat only during a 4 to 8/10/12 hour window seems kind of harsh IMO.

I cannot speak to deusavertat deusavertat ’s situation but I don’t view it as “not eating food”. I am eating healthily within the confines of an 8 hour space. Outside of that, I’m not even hungry. I think there is this misconception that folks who do IF or something similar are going to sleep desperately hungry/starving. EYE am not. If I was feeling that way, I would have consumed something :lol:

As for the pleasure piece - I know from his posts in the Food Thread that deusavertat deusavertat takes enjoys food and takes pleasure in his meals, as do I. The same goes for working out - I enjoy the challenge and have great appreciation in literally seeing myself get stronger as I lift heavier weights and my physique changes.

I could still experience that challenge and get results without IF but it works for me and isn’t a detriment to my health or well-being (it’s been the opposite) so I fail to see the harm in it.

Respectfully, I think the discourse around fasting is a little too critical. Of all the things to criticize a dietary pattern for, deciding to eat only during a 4 to 8/10/12 hour window seems kind of harsh IMO.

I cannot speak to deusavertat deusavertat ’s situation but I don’t view it as “not eating food”. I am eating healthily within the confines of an 8 hour space. Outside of that, I’m not even hungry. I think there is this misconception that folks who do IF or something similar are going to sleep desperately hungry/starving. EYE am not. If I was feeling that way, I would have consumed something :lol:

As for the pleasure piece - I know from his posts in the Food Thread that deusavertat deusavertat takes enjoys food and takes pleasure in his meals, as do I. The same goes for working out - I enjoy the challenge and have great appreciation in literally seeing myself get stronger as I lift heavier weights and my physique changes.

I could still experience that challenge and get results without IF but it works for me and isn’t a detriment to my health or well-being (it’s been the opposite) so I fail to see the harm in it.

from my trip down the different fasting rabbit holes, the thing about fasting in the context most who actually informed about their criticism is that there is this want to attribute more benefits to fasting than are actual (the placebo effect can be a real thing)…as if there is something about fasting that is unique, most do not really view fasting in a context that is really about ‘lifestyle’ rather most are trying to control for something else and fasting is a convenient solution because of some other externality (time, discipline, convenience, etc.) but then become evangelical (not saying that’s the case in this thread) about it when really there are other things that factor in

especially in the context of folk that are on a fitness routine, doing fairly regular fasts, along with a bunch of cardio, training, or play at a sport that requires performance, is a suboptimal approach; it is the real world so everything has trade offs wherein optimal for most is dependent on the circumstance and/or isn’t required or even possible given their specific goals and obviously varies by individual

that said if folk are outchea wondering why they are oft injured, perpetually achy, not building muscle how they’d like, not achieving the body composition that they’d like, not performing how they’d like, not feeling like their best selves but literally depriving themselves of nutrients unnecessarily they would do well to examine whether both their diet & fitness practices actually align; it will be hard to gain or even maintain muscle in such a, by definition, catabolic state…which does eventually have down stream effects on health, performance, & well being

from my trip down the different fasting rabbit holes, the thing about fasting in the context most who actually informed about their criticism is that there is this want to attribute more benefits to fasting than are actual (the placebo effect can be a real thing)…as if there is something about fasting that is unique, most do not really view fasting in a context that is really about ‘lifestyle’ rather most are trying to control for something else and fasting is a convenient solution because of some other externality (time, discipline, convenience, etc.) but then become evangelical (not saying that’s the case in this thread) about it when really there are other things that factor in

especially in the context of folk that are on a fitness routine, doing fairly regular fasts, along with a bunch of cardio, training, or play at a sport that requires performance, is a suboptimal approach; it is the real world so everything has trade offs wherein optimal for most is dependent on the circumstance and/or isn’t required or even possible given their specific goals and obviously varies by individual

that said if folk are outchea wondering why they are oft injured, perpetually achy, not building muscle how they’d like, not achieving the body composition that they’d like, not performing how they’d like, not feeling like their best selves but literally depriving themselves of nutrients unnecessarily they would do well to examine whether both their diet & fitness practices actually align; it will be hard to gain or even maintain muscle in such a, by definition, catabolic state…which does eventually have down stream effects on health, performance, & well being

Thank you for this explanation. Yeah, I don’t preach that folks to do it. Just like a bunch of other things I have done in my life, I would say that it has worked for me but I wouldn’t advise someone else to do them to get the same results as me. For fasting it is because like you said - it is a lifestyle.

I think we are in general agreement on the subject because I’m the opposite of complaining about the effects/results but also not preach-y about it because I am aware of the dedication and sacrifices that it takes. At times it just seems like everyone who fasts is being generalized :lol:

it’s not even that folk complain but since diet & exercise are in something of a fog to most people (i’d count myself in that majority to an extent), not knowing what you don’t know is the norm…plenty people can & do get results by these fasting/time restricted diets not knowing they might actually get similar or ‘better’ results without the hassle of fasting and in some ways are at a disadvantage because of their combination of fasting & training…everything has pros & cons, but i do shade on the side of thinking the pros of fasting are often exaggerated & the cons rarely expanded on

it’s not even that folk complain but since diet & exercise are in something of a fog to most people (i’d count myself in that majority to an extent), not knowing what you don’t know is the norm…plenty people can & do get results by these fasting/time restricted diets not knowing they might actually get similar or ‘better’ results without the hassle of fasting and in some ways are at a disadvantage because of their combination of fasting & training…everything has pros & cons, but i do shade on the side of thinking the pros of fasting are often exaggerated & the cons rarely expanded on

I see where you are coming from and that is totally fair. I’m definitely not an expert either - just trying to stay “healthy” and “fit”

I am blessed with the metabolism of a gawd, like Kratos or some ish. And because my W/O's focus on heavy lifting, my metabolism actually gets faster as I age, not slower. Therefore I can eat whatever I want without fear, like Daredevil or a Green Lantern.
mjgrin.png

I don't ever try to lose weight, and am permabulking despite not being little.
(17 years?!
mjcry1.png
)

All that fasting stuff is for the birds, folks with slow metabolisms, people that don't lift and can't outrun their intake, and the Fats that can't control their lust for calories.
smugdon.png

some folks just be eating less and use the word fast cause it's cool

Quoting for emphasis.

This has been my one Achilles heel since I started; I don't eat enough. Junk fast food doesn't "stick" so eating 4000+ calories/day from "real foods" can be rough. Slowly inching past 210 but more solid food woulda got me there faster.

It reminds me of that Kali Muscle clip

(5:45 -6:00)

A lot of these little prawns that take up space in my gym: do useless "Bro" workouts that focus on minor movements (+) don't eat nearly as much as they need to. The result? No appreciable gains in size or skrenf.

I may not be out here max lifting but it looks like I have a lot of functional strength. Blue and brown belts were struggling against me in open mat. Mad heavy breathing and frustration. Only got choked out twice. :lol:

I am blessed with the metabolism of a gawd, like Kratos or some ish. And because my W/O's focus on heavy lifting, my metabolism actually gets faster as I age, not slower. Therefore I can eat whatever I want without fear, like Daredevil or a Green Lantern.
mjgrin.png

I don't ever try to lose weight, and am permabulking despite not being little.
(17 years?!
mjcry1.png
)

All that fasting stuff is for the birds, folks with slow metabolisms, people that don't lift and can't outrun their intake, and the Fats that can't control their lust for calories.
smugdon.png

just for sake of clarity, it really isn't aging so much that 'slows' metabolism (some research has shown that it stays consistent well into the 60s) rather that people tend to be less active as their others responsibilities change/increase and there is less 'free time' or just being worn down, injuries, eating less, diminishing health...

the available levers are basically activity, diet, & the amount of muscle one is carrying with health & injury being things that could impact the ability how one can deploy the levers...the body adaptable and is always trying to balance/get to some sort of homeostasis so even as people manipulate those things the body tries to compensate which is why it can be difficult for folks on the 'faster' and 'slower' side to gain/lose...

i don't see a problem with fasting, it's just that it isn't nearly what it's made out to be

Quoting for emphasis.

This has been my one Achilles heel since I started; I don't eat enough. Junk fast food doesn't "stick" so eating 4000+ calories/day from "real foods" can be rough. Slowly inching past 210 but more solid food woulda got me there faster.

It reminds me of that Kali Muscle clip

(5:45 -6:00)

A lot of these little prawns that take up space in my gym: do useless "Bro" workouts that focus on minor movements (+) don't eat nearly as much as they need to. The result? No appreciable gains in size or skrenf.

🤣🤣🤣 that clip is wild...even wilder that he was saying he was natural/not using the roids

I may not be out here max lifting but it looks like I have a lot of functional strength. Blue and brown belts were struggling against me in open mat. Mad heavy breathing and frustration. Only got choked out twice. :lol:

Idk what "functional strength" is. I personally don't train for it but have no issues going about my day and moving/carrying heavy things. If I was a couch potato I'd need even less to be "functioning".

A mountain climber might disagree but I've never been hanging off the side of a cliff by my hands and needed to pull myself up 20 times.
mjlol.png

I feel like folks will arbitrarily call one thing functional and something else not when in reality strong is strong, and most folks simply aren't.

I don't pay much attention to cardio talk but is there a functional speed sect outchea too?
dwill.png

I also feel like that anecdotal example you gave is disingenuous since grappling incorporates mobility, skill, conditioning, and strength/power.

You might be stronger than those blue/browns or you might have better technique or conditioning. Them getting gassed or struggling isn't an indication that your strength work is superior or optimal.

I know a former college wrestler with "old man skrenf" and phenomenal cardio that gives more experienced BJJ dudes trouble when they roll so that's not surprising to me.
unimpressed.png

Old buddy would smoke me on the mat or in a 5K but ain't seeing me in the gym or on the platform. Doesn't mean he's weak, it just means I'm stronger.
hubie.png

just for sake of clarity, it really isn't aging so much that 'slows' metabolism (some research has shown that it stays consistent well into the 60s) rather that people tend to be less active as their others responsibilities change/increase and there is less 'free time' or just being worn down, injuries, eating less, diminishing health...

the available levers are basically activity, diet, & the amount of muscle one is carrying with health & injury being things that could impact the ability how one can deploy the levers...the body adaptable and is always trying to balance/get to some sort of homeostasis so even as people manipulate those things the body tries to compensate which is why it can be difficult for folks on the 'faster' and 'slower' side to gain/lose...

i don't see a problem with fasting, it's just that it isn't nearly what it's made out to be

I think we're tracking.

People used to always tell me that my metabolism would "slow down" as I got older; that theory has been successfully bushed.

What's funny is my activity level hasn't changed since I started, only my muscle mass.
All-Might-Grin.png

Idk what "functional strength" is. I personally don't train for it but have no issues going about my day and moving/carrying heavy things. If I was a couch potato I'd need even less to be "functioning".

A mountain climber might disagree but I've never been hanging off the side of a cliff by my hands and needed to pull myself up 20 times.
mjlol.png

I feel like folks will arbitrarily call one thing functional and something else not when in reality strong is strong, and most folks simply aren't.

I don't pay much attention to cardio talk but is there a functional speed sect outchea too?
dwill.png

I also feel like that anecdotal example you gave is disingenuous since grappling incorporates mobility, skill, conditioning, and strength/power.

You might be stronger than those blue/browns or you might have better technique or conditioning. Them getting gassed or struggling isn't an indication that your strength work is superior or optimal.

I know a former college wrestler with "old man skrenf" and phenomenal cardio that gives more experienced BJJ dudes trouble when they roll so that's not surprising to me.
unimpressed.png

Old buddy would smoke me on the mat or in a 5K but ain't seeing me in the gym or on the platform. Doesn't mean he's weak, it just means I'm stronger.
hubie.png
Functional strength to me just means enough to make quick twitch movements without getting fatigued. Holding on to a dudes wrist for 5 minutes while he tries really hard to get away is more important for me than benching 350 5 times. Thats why I do all those high rep workouts.

Back
Top Bottom