Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

Originally Posted by bbrroowwnnssuuggaarr

Let's just stop this non-sense

DeadLifts are primarily a GLUTEHAM exercise (secondarily inner thigh).....meaning, when done correctly, they work your hamstrings and your glutes.....you should NOT be feeling anything in your back, and if you are...then you are doing it WRONG or the weight is too high and you are overcompensating for that weight....as I was doing in that video...
Stiff Leg Deadlifts are for your hamstrings. Regular Deadlifts are a back exercise and probably the best exercise overall for adding mass to your back.

My bad I guess.....when I do my deadlifts - it's to strengthen my hammys....however it just cameto mind that I have really weak hammys and an overly strong back, hence why I can only feel them working my hamstrings

From the Deadlift Wiki Page:

The deadlift is a compound movement that works grip strength, and the primary muscles used in the deadlift are the erector spinae, the gluteus maximus, adductor magnus, hamstrings, quadriceps, and the soleus. The remaining muscles are involved in stability control. It is, in a sense, the purest single event test of strength because it is one of the few lifts of dead weight (weight lying on the ground). In most other lifts the weight changes direction or starts in the air and several other athletic skills such as balance, coordination are emphasized. For example, both Olympic weightlifting events require a great deal of athletic skill in addition to strength. In addition, it is commonly believed to be the oldest test of strength dating back to cultures who competed at lifting the heaviest stones.

Originally Posted by wj4

good to know it's working out for some people...

I'm in the process of picking up a bit more muscle and shedding fat. The problem is that I have a small gut around my stomach cause genetically it's where my body stores it's fat. it's been a real mission trying to get rid of it, but I'm putting in work.

By this december I want to be in the right shape.

Been working at it since this past January...

What did you do to lose your gut? was it mainly the Muay Thai?
Past Jan.? As in 2008?

It's not just you. Having abs definition is the holy grail of all those who exercise.

I still have a bit of baby fat there. As I stated way back in the thread, I'm aiming for a 6pack in summer of 2010, I only have 2 right now.
laugh.gif

Diet is probably the key.

I can't tell you exactly what did it because I honestly don't know. Muay Thai probably did a good share since there's a lot of long knee's and kicks that involve flexing the core. I also do various other abs exercises ie incline sit ups, L lifts, lunges, turtle walking/crawling.

Jan 2009.

I started working out in beginning of 2008, but starting going in extra at the beginning of 2009...and it's showing...

Originally Posted by TD The God

DeadLifts are primarily a GLUTEHAM exercise (secondarily inner thigh).....meaning, when done correctly, they work your hamstrings and your glutes.....you should NOT be feeling anything in your back, and if you are...then you are doing it WRONG or the weight is too high and you are overcompensating for that weight....as I was doing in that video...
you're crazy bro. if you're not feeling it in your back you're not lifting enough weight IMO. i keep my form super in check, becausewhen you're lifting that much weight with bad form the results are not pretty.

I think you need to work at it longer than ~6 months for the abs to show. That's why I'm giving myself a full year.

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

you're crazy bro. if you're not feeling it in your back you're not lifting enough weight IMO. i keep my form super in check, because when you're lifting that much weight with bad form the results are not pretty.
Like I said above...I have weak hamstrings and ridiculously strong back muscles, hencewhy I NEVER felt the DL in my back....so I can't do too much weight....my typical Roman Deadlift routine is

Set 1 - 135 x 8
Set 2 - 185 x 8
Set 3 - 185 x 8
Set 4 - 185 x 8

When I was in college, I'd be doing much higher weight but lower reps....You guys should tryhyperextensions with a 35/45 plate for your back...same benefits minus the possible injuries/strains OOOOOOOR goodmornings....if you are doing DL's to workon your back then you may be hurting yourselves

Here's a copy of my weekly routine....it changes every 2-3 months (or after I stop recognizingresults)

210fswn.jpg

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

you're crazy bro. if you're not feeling it in your back you're not lifting enough weight IMO. i keep my form super in check, because when you're lifting that much weight with bad form the results are not pretty.
Like I said above...I have weak hamstrings and ridiculously strong back muscles, hence why I NEVER felt the DL in my back....so I can't do too much weight....my typical Roman Deadlift routine is

Set 1 - 135 x 8
Set 2 - 185 x 8
Set 3 - 185 x 8
Set 4 - 185 x 8

When I was in college, I'd be doing much higher weight but lower reps....You guys should try hyperextensions with a 35/45 plate for your back...same benefits minus the possible injuries/strains OOOOOOOR goodmornings....if you are doing DL's to work on your back then you may be hurting yourselves
I do reg. deadlifts, never tried Romanian, but I usually do 5 reps MAX in a set, and go heavy

like 315x5, 405 x 5, 495 x 5 515x5, 5--x3

not sure how good that is but it's worked for me and it's pretty much a standard 5x5 routine except the last set i try to push myself and do a weight ican only do a few reps of.

i tried doing sets of 8 in lower weights once, completely tired me out, so i always stick to low reps now.

That's some heavy weight man...I can't, I refuse to even attempt anything likethat....what's your height / weight?

I lift to look sexy, if I ever get to play football again....I'll be back at the heavierstuff

i'm 6' (not really more like 5'11" but I lie) and ~205, I should be down to about 195 if I was more disciplined though.

DLs have always been my best lift, when I just started lifting I went from doing 225x5 to 335x5 in like 4 weeks so i guess i have a good build for it

sounds like what youre doing is good for football though..i've always wanted to do olympic lifts but they scare the hell out of me because i have neverdone them except for cleans at low weights when i was younger....last thing i want to do is hurt myself.

That's some heavy weight man...I can't, I refuse to even attempt anything like that....what's your height / weight?

I lift to look sexy, if I ever get to play football again....I'll be back at the heavier stuff

Lift to look sexy
laugh.gif
too many people overlook this as their goal and end up doing football player weight
laugh.gif

Ive been goign to the gym, but I feel like im wasting my time somedays. I have no guidance, nor anyone to spot me. But I still try to do something

Originally Posted by TrueshotAura

That's some heavy weight man...I can't, I refuse to even attempt anything like that....what's your height / weight?

I lift to look sexy, if I ever get to play football again....I'll be back at the heavier stuff

Lift to look sexy
laugh.gif
too many people overlook this as their goal and end up doing football player weight
laugh.gif
that's what gets you sexy nh.....you're not gonna look good doing 30lb dumbbell curls and crunches all day

ask a random person in the gym for a spot, it's no big

and getting a good routine is easy, it just depends on your goals.

Play a sport. If you're competitive in video games, that'll carry over into the game. If you're out of shape, boy, that will make me want to workout and get in shape. I hate it when I'm huffing and puffing after not playing ball for a while. It's not just annoying, it actually pisses me off.That's what brings me into, and keeps me in the gym.

nh but pookie the only cat aside from tim that's shown and proved, so im not knockin him. I aint tryin to look like the rest of ya'll know it alls.

Originally Posted by Mercutio

Play a sport. If you're competitive in video games, that'll carry over into the game. If you're out of shape, boy, that will make me want to work out and get in shape. I hate it when I'm huffing and puffing after not playing ball for a while. It's not just annoying, it actually pisses me off. That's what brings me into, and keeps me in the gym.

Just gave myself a good look over in the mirror.
smh.gif
smh.gif
this weekend will be dedicated to laying the foundation for my workout/cardio/supplement/diet regiment

Originally Posted by socaking

Ive been goign to the gym, but I feel like im wasting my time somedays. I have no guidance, nor anyone to spot me. But I still try to do something
You can do so many other things besides benching. If you feel like you're going to drop the weight or can't push it up, you can alwaystry using good size dumbbells on a flat bench.

me 4 years ago (skin and BONES . i could barely rep 115 on the benchpress
laugh.gif
smh.gif
)

14ocdiv.jpg

me earlier this year around march :

2631_1082396823761_1341540050_30313718_7242360_n.jpg

im slightly bigger now , but you get the picture . for me dieting has never really been an issue because my metabolism issuper duper fast . its more just about commitment and discipline . to be honest ive had problems in the past of getting lazy and only lifting once a week , butever since the summer started ive been at the gym 5-6x a week on my grind

Damn Prez, why you gotta make me feel inferior about my 2 pack set up? I'm about to go paint on the other 4 now.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Prez T

me earlier this year around march :

2631_1082396823761_1341540050_30313718_7242360_n.jpg

im slightly bigger now , but you get the picture . for me dieting has never really been an issue because my metabolism is super duper fast . its more just about commitment and discipline . to be honest ive had problems in the past of getting lazy and only lifting once a week , but ever since the summer started ive been at the gym 5-6x a week on my grind
embarassed.gif

pimp.gif

I cant believe a man that says he lifts to look sexy is trying to tell folks about the DL
roll.gif

now wheres that other clown at that was saying it worked the legs?

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

yo anyone i just bought some 30 pound dumb bells for home what are some of the different excersises I can do with them

mad.gif

damn lurkin2long u skipped my question Ol my skin is lighter than drake lookin boy
roll.gif

what question?

edit: oh my bad, but son wth you gonna do with that light weight? you cant get a better set up or membership?

Back
Top Bottom