STEEL CITY (Pittsburgh) NT'ers STAND UP!!!

Question folks..
So I was downtown yesterday and the amount of Ninjas rockin dreads was ridic...
is this a midwest thing (personally i consider Pburgh more midwest than east), or it the burgh biting chicago style...

More of a hip hop trend now. All they're favorite rappers got it so they follow suit. And pittsburgh is not an Midwest city. Way less crime here lol. I'm from the Midwest (Kansas City and St. Louis) and Pitt has doesn't an Midwest vibe other than being a mid size city.

Pittsburgh has a more of a backwoods southern vibe than anything, the strong racist undertones and the dialect e.g. yinz, Pixxburgh, duntun (downtown), not to mention the picking up on trends and fads a tad late.

Yea def more of a southern vibe here. Hell outside the city limits almost feels like Deep South with all the crazy looks I get sometimes. Too many old people.

Last edited:
Yea def more of a southern vibe here. Hell outside the city limits almost feels like Deep South with all the crazy looks I get sometimes. Too many old people.

I'm sayin tho. I was lost tryna find my way to this skatin rink out in some small part outside the city (back when Mapquest was still poppin), stopped at a gatis station to get directions, this lil white boy stared at me like I was a tall monster or somethin :lol:

As "safe" as it is in those areas, I feel so uncomfortable in em. Put me in the Hill District, East Lib, Garfield, Wilkinsburg, Hazlewood, etc and I feel at home....except Homewood, don't ever put me in Homewood :lol:

I'm sayin tho. I was lost tryna find my way to this skatin rink out in some small part outside the city (back when Mapquest was still poppin), stopped at a gatis station to get directions, this lil white boy stared at me like I was a tall monster or somethin :lol:

As "safe" as it is in those areas, I feel so uncomfortable in em. Put me in the Hill District, East Lib, Garfield, Wilkinsburg, Hazlewood, etc and I feel at home....except Homewood, don't ever put me in Homewood :lol:

What?! lmao my girl use to stay in Bridgeville, i use to hate goin out there. Was out there when the election was going on last year and remember seeing the biggest Mitt Romney sign ive ever seen for any candidate ever next to an eat n park. went to eat there and remember all these old people looking like, u aint welcomed here boy. lmao. So uncomfortable!! They never say nothing though, but face says it all

Last edited:
Whats good Nt'ers ... I was immediately drawn to this thread because Pittsburgh is my city.  I don't live there, I'm actually from Wheeling WV but everyone down here is steelers, pirates, and penguins crazy and takes I-79 north and goes through the tunnels when they want to do anything cool.  Anyway I've posted a thread on a few different boards at this point but hopefully y'all can help me out.  I'm looking for nike replacement boxes for any kind of nikes. ALSO a pair of Jordan IV's for a decent price because all the ones on EBAY are absolutely ridiculous.  Any help on location of these would be awesome.

Stay Crispy

G2C

Hey now I reside in hazelwood, its not that bad

Well as of yesterday they still had em on ruvilla.com
These are still sitting locally - I saw them at the Monroeville mall last week in SEVERAL stores...

Hey NT'ers, I just signed up. I live in the 'burgh and am hoping to get a little advice/insight from you guys. I'm going to sound like a fool, but oh well.

I havent been a serious sneakerhead since like 92. Last pair of Jordans I owned was the Bordeaux VIIs (man I wish I would have kept those!!). I had so many pairs of shoes back then it was sick. Started with the grape Vs, got the carmine VIs and both the white and black infared VIs, then the Bordeaux VIIs, also had a few pairs of the flights, one in particular I cant remember the name of and wish I could find again, it was grey with red trim and a triangular flight logo on the tongue. Had the Force 180 pumps (haha those were awesome, and obnoxiously expensive). Had a pair of blacktop pumps, too even though I was mainly a nike guy.

Here's the thing, I have never found shoes since then that are as comfortable as some of those old school ones. The closest I've found is my pair of '89 flights which I love and theyre perfect for me because theyre almost all black so theyre really subtle and I can even wear em to work. But theyre absolutely beat, and of course I cant find anymore for sale.  I'm 35 years old and honestly would look RIDICULOUS now in a pair of infrareds or grapes, but just dont care anymore. I want what I had back then.  Of course, it seems next to impossible to get any without camping out and dealing with some insanity, so I'll ask you guys for advice. I really appreciate any input here:

- Is there anything widely available that feels really close to the old school ones? The most comfortable for me were those OG Grapes (God I miss those), the Reebok blacktop pumps, and those VIIs. Like I said these flights are great but theyre dead.

- I love the VIs. I see theyre releasing next year. For a general release, it looks like from what I've read sometimes there are restocks? How tough is it to get a pair of GR Jordans? Can I just place an order online and they'll ship when they get restocked? I know this is stupid, but back when I was buying 'em I could just go to Foot Locker and get any colorway I wanted off the shelf.

- Any idea what those old flights may have been? I described em the best I could. They DID have the visible air sole, so they werent the more common foamy ones from back then. They werent really common but they looked sweet. (I swear I asked on a forum once about these but cant remember the answer)

Any input is MUCH appreciated!!!

Whats good Nt'ers ... I was immediately drawn to this thread because Pittsburgh is my city.  I don't live there, I'm actually from Wheeling WV but everyone down here is steelers, pirates, and penguins crazy and takes I-79 north and goes through the tunnels when they want to do anything cool.  Anyway I've posted a thread on a few different boards at this point but hopefully y'all can help me out.  I'm looking for nike replacement boxes for any kind of nikes. ALSO a pair of Jordan IV's for a decent price because all the ones on EBAY are absolutely ridiculous.  Any help on location of these would be awesome.

Stay Crispy

G2C
Welcome to the thread Chihlidog and Game2Crazy!  Looks like this thread is alive and kicking, good stuff.  Chihlidog, as for your question regarding the most "comfortable feel" that resembles the old school stuff - it's hard to say, as everyone will have a different answer.  I know that the most comfortable stuff I can find today are usually Lebrons.  Not sure if you're into them at all, but the especially the 8s - those are some my favorite "new" kicks just because of how comfortable they are.  Good luck!

Javier

Reminds me of the time I went to this skate park in west newton. I swore I was In Alabama or something the way those people were.
And most comfortable shoes out are the flyknit chukkas

Last edited:

Was lucky to score these Nike X Clot AM1

Those AM 1's are clean! Nice pick up mcags412.

Thanks man!

And welcome to the new guys! Nice to see some (semi) locals with some heat!

Edit* most comfortable shoes I have worn in past couple years is Zoom Revis hands down!!

Last edited:
Nice pickup Mike! I now can understand what you mean about the Zoom Revis. I picked up the brown/camo colorway this week. Awesome shoe.

Javier

Thanks for making us newbies feel welcome Javy.  I'm looking forward to getting some feedback from ya'll about some of my pick-ups.  BTW Skep I'm a big boy so I wear 13's.  Hopefully someone has some good sneakers for trade or sale for my giant feet lol.  Mcags I will gladly take those boxes if my monster shoes will fit in an 11 - 11.5 box.  I'm not sure if they will or not.  Either way get at me about the boxes or any 13's that are available.

Stay Crispy

G2C

Thanks man!

And welcome to the new guys! Nice to see some (semi) locals with some heat!

Edit* most comfortable shoes I have worn in past couple years is Zoom Revis hands down!!

I have the photo blue pair, yes they are very comfortable but I think the LeBron x surpasses in comfort

I've never owned a pair of Lebron X's or the Revis joints but Jordan III's are hard to beat for comfort IMO.  

These are still sitting locally - I saw them at the Monroeville mall last week in SEVERAL stores...

Welcome to the thread Chihlidog and Game2Crazy!  Looks like this thread is alive and kicking, good stuff.  Chihlidog, as for your question regarding the most "comfortable feel" that resembles the old school stuff - it's hard to say, as everyone will have a different answer.  I know that the most comfortable stuff I can find today are usually Lebrons.  Not sure if you're into them at all, but the especially the 8s - those are some my favorite "new" kicks just because of how comfortable they are.  Good luck!

Javier

Hey man I really appreciate it.

I went out today and tried on at least 20 different pair and none of 'em felt as good as these beat Flights. There's a certain stiffness to the new ones, and I dont mean just not being broken in, it's like there isnt much cushion compared to these. The foam around the air soles is stiffer and the rubber bottoms are stiffer, at least that's what it seems like to me. I know these are broken in so feel better, but when I first tried them on in the store they felt better than anything I could find today. Jordans, Flights, the old school Pumps, all of em have that heaviness and just dont have that same feel to the sole. (THe Pumps were terrible actually, felt like the sole was a brick. And I really wanted to like em) I know it sounds crazy but the guys at Champs let me try like EVERYTHING in the store and nothing felt right. I'm gonna have to man up and get my hands on a pair of Oreos when they drop, I think, then cry like a baby when they're beat too.

I feel like kind of a jerk going in there and trying everything, but I'll tell them straight up, look, I dont care how much the shoes cost if they are as comfortable as I want em to be.

Last edited:

Cant go wrong with the cloaks!

Also may have 4 tickets to pirates thurs afternoon its a 12:35 start. Will update as soon as i know! ( tues-wed)

Last edited:
I havent been to a mall in awhile. Anyone know if any of the local finish lines got the black shaq attacks. They have them online, but I'd rather pick them up local if possible to try on.

Back
Top Bottom