STREET FIGHTER

The internet is going crazy with these MvC4 rumors from a NeoGaf member. Supposedly we'll here about it at the PSX event next saturday. I personally can't see it happening because of how bad Street Fighter 5 sales have been but I know Marvel wants to revamp they're presence in gaming and their were rumblings of Capcom helping to produce contest of champions on the mobile platforms. I would've been more than content with a UMvC3 rerelease because I honestly feel like that game has unfinished business

but yes take it with a HUGE grain of salt.

I doubt that's true.

You can't buy MVC2 on Xbox Live or PSN anymore and you can't download the DLC for MVC3 or UMVC3, even if you have a disc copy. So Jill and Shuma along with those cool costumes are forever stuck in DLC limbo.

As a passionate UMVC3 player, I don't think I'd want 4 considering how much I don't like how SFV plays. I remember Seth Killian saying it costs 100k just for Ryu's face in MVC3, so to put that much into another game that has such a love/hate relationship within the FGC, I can't imagine Capcom wanting to take a chance on something that won't sell and people will hate.

I don't know...

relentless video game patches to cater to casual fans kills da hardcore community.

in a way i loved that Marvel VS Capcom 2 was Frozen in time.

make no mistake about it, Capcom's VS series is highly anticipated if 4 does come out.

what's definitely gonna suck is if it does drop, UMVC3 will get patched up and those 5 years of mastering a character goes down da toilet.

Last edited:

I doubt that's true.

You can't buy MVC2 on Xbox Live or PSN anymore and you can't download the DLC for MVC3 or UMVC3, even if you have a disc copy. So Jill and Shuma along with those cool costumes are forever stuck in DLC limbo.
This was why I was skeptical. For an announcement to happen, we would've at least have to get those back on the DLC marketplace and its yet to happen, however with the recent rerelease of Marvel ultimate alliance as DLC, it shown that marvel has let go of the death grip they've had on their gaming properties. I'm glad I was able to purchase Jill and Shuma as well as most of the DLC costumes. Magneto's costume messed up everything as far as capcom and DLC for that game. I knew the costume glitch though.
As a passionate UMVC3 player, I don't think I'd want 4 considering how much I don't like how SFV plays. I remember Seth Killian saying it costs 100k just for Ryu's face in MVC3, so to put that much into another game that has such a love/hate relationship within the FGC, I can't imagine Capcom wanting to take a chance on something that won't sell and people will hate.

I don't know...
I played vanilla and ultimate to death and I feel like the game shouldn't have a successor or at least this soon. I personally love how SFV plays as well. Back to the basics. FADC boys were quick to dismiss V coming from IV but the game is so balanced. It just got a bad wrap for releasing bare bones and hasn't been able to appeal to casual audiences like SF IV did circa 2010 with super. I feel like a new DLC patch with some new characters and advertisement could correct that. Akuma being included along with a few other returning characters along with a MVC 4 announcement and RE 7 in January could have capcom back in business big time. We'll see...
relentless video game patches to cater to casual fans kills da hardcore community.

make no mistake about it, Capcom's VS series is highly anticipated if 4 does come out.

what's definitely gonna suck is if it does drop, UMVC3 will get patched up and those 5 years of mastering a character goes down da toilet.
MvC 2 was able to sustain for years just because of its wackiness and the fighting game community essentially being extinct. I completely agree that online patches and updates have ruined the FGC but UMvC3 was definitely honoring the spirit of MvC2 with its hidden infinites and unfair balancing between characters. Will boot up my dreamcast and play MvC 2 tonight followed by UMvC 3 on my 360

I doubt that's true.

If Capcom does regain the license for Marvel, they obviously won't put the DLC back up for UMvC3 till the announcement at PSX.
If they had put the DLC back up, it would have been obvious what was happening, if it's happening.

UMvC3 won't even be a priority so that may never come back.

I don't know...
Marvel's hate is mainly because it's unpatched and more and more cheap stuff was found and even still Mr Wizard said Marvel would always be at EVO because of the hype it gets and look how long it's been there without any changes to the game. It's definitely one of the most respected fighting game franchises and as far as the FGC goes, I would put it second to Street Fighter.

The dev team for Marvel is different too so SFV shouldn't influence it apart from maybe having characters like Necalli or Rashid in the game and they should have learnt their lesson from SFV anyway.
Don't put out a bare bones game at launch essentially and don't launch an updated version in 9 months like UMvC3

Also, if it's anything like SFV then Sony will be throwing money to Co-develop it and make it exclusive. Don't forget they have a good relationship with Marvel since the upcoming Spiderman game is also exclusive so another reason why it could happen at PSX.

Netherealms with MK are the ones who are bad with the relentless patches.

Capcom have always been good with patching. SFV only gets a balance change after the pro tour so only once a year. The only thing they've patched are some bugs, option selects and input delay.

Same with SFIV, they did it in such a way that patching is now essential to a fighting game these days. Most people stuck to their main characters along the different editions of the game and each new edition injected life into the game.

Maximillian uploaded a video about this few days ago.

I completely agree that online patches and updates have ruined the FGC but UMvC3 was definitely honoring the spirit of MvC2 with its hidden infinites and unfair balancing between characters. Will boot up my dreamcast and play MvC 2 tonight followed by UMvC 3 on my 360

I won't say online patches ruined the FGC. It's helped keep it alive.

Patches are great because it's a way to keep things fresh. I don't believe MVC2 will ever go away and is still more hype than 3. All Capcom had to do with 3 was rebalance some damage and balance out Zero, Morrigan and Vergil. Those three killed the game. And nerf Doom's damage some and I play Doom.

As much as I liked mvc2 back in the days umvc3 patches and updates made it a way more balanced game. I Actually enjoyed it more.

Sources: Marvel vs. Capcom 4 coming in 2017
When’s Marvel? Soon.

mvc3.0.jpeg

Marvel and Capcom characters will duke it out in a new crossover fighting game coming to consoles next year. Multiple sources tell Polygon that Marvel vs. Capcom 4 is currently in development and slated for release sometime in 2017.

Although Capcom hasn’t officially announced the game, we’ve been told the company will unveil Marvel vs. Capcom 4 this week alongside Sony’s PlayStation Experience event where the Capcom Cup 2016 Street Fighter 5 tournament will be held.

Fans of the series should expect Marvel vs. Capcom 4's roster of Marvel characters to draw strongly from the cinematic universe that Marvel Studios has popularized — and has full control over — during the past decade. That means fighting game fans will more likely see characters plucked from The Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy films, and not from properties like the X-Men. Expect to see superheroes like Ant-Man and Groot make appearances, with characters of mutant origin — think Wolverine and Magneto — sitting out this entry.

A lack of X-Men characters in the next Marvel vs. Capcom would be a major departure for the franchise, which has roots that extend back to Capcom’s 1994 fighting game, X-Men: Children of the Atom.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3's popularity among fighting game fans remains strong, however. The game is still featured at the annual Evo fighting game tournament, and we've heard that there may be good news for fans of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 specifically coming soon as well.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/28/13749536/marvel-vs-capcom-4-news

Beggars can't be choosers but no X-men :smh: :smh:
I want a versus game so bad that this is not even that big a blow since I'm excited it's even a thing but a bit disappointed.

No Sentinel, Wolverine, Magneto. No more Gravity Squeeze.

Also hearing rumours of Combofiend being the battle director so hopefully Spencer makes a return but I also read that it's 2v2.

UMvC3 is probably going to get a port to PS4 like USFIV so good news for current gen owners and bodes well for UMvC3 at EVO next year before MvC4.

I wonder if the Netflix MCU characters might make an appearance too like Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

They might as well not release it.

This is like the equivalent of them announcing Street Fighter VI, but not having a single Street Fighter II character in the game.

Does it supposedly being 2v2 not bother anyone :lol:

That is a step backwards imo
no properties fox owns or just no xmen? So no deadpool, Spider-Man or fantastic 4 either

Sony and Disney are cosy these days so Spiderman should be in. I don't know who owns the rights but I'm sure Marvel is making the next film with Sony's permission or blessing.

I doubt we will see Fantastic 4, since we didn't even seet them in the last game. I would welcome Super Skrull again though. He was one of my favourite.

Deadpool is too popular to ignore but if the rumours are true then we might not see him either.

In time, they will crack under pressure or see the cash that these characters can bring in as DLC.

They might as well not release it.

This is like the equivalent of them announcing Street Fighter VI, but not having a single Street Fighter II character in the game.

Yea, similar to Street Fighter III.

There were 7 X-men characters, so that would be a gaping hole. 8 if you include the lack of Deadpool too.

MCU focus makes sense which is the reason why we got Nova, Rocket Racoon, Dr Strange etc in the previous game but Marvel has a big Universe so hopefully we get non MCU characters too.

Last edited:
Yea, similar to Street Fighter III.
The best version of SF3 (3rd Strike) did end up having four SF2 era characters in the game. The first version of III suffered a huge backlash from the fans because it had no II characters, covered by Max in this vid:

Too bad. I would've really liked to see Cyclops back, in full bodysuit costume like from the Konami game:

The best version of SF3 (3rd Strike) did end up having four SF2 era characters in the game. The first version of III suffered a huge backlash from the fans because it had no II characters, covered by Max in this vid:

Too bad. I would've really liked to see Cyclops back, in full bodysuit costume like from the Konami game:

Yea, that's what I mean. They had to put back a lot of the old characters with the updates to the game and the same will happen to this game if that's the case.

Cyclops had of one of the best supers in Mega Optic Blast :pimp:

That would have been his level 3 super if he was in Marvel 3.

One can only hope they make it to Marvel 4 in some way.

Not buying the rumors of no Xmen characters. The series' foundation is literally Xmen children of the atom and Xmen vs Street Fighter. Fox has FILM rights to the Xmen. This would essentially be like Marvel not even being able to use the Xmen in any type of media, including comics. The Xmen are still a Marvel property. Marvel wouldn't be that clueless to listen to fighting games fan and make a Marvel can Capcom 4 but not have fan favorites Sentinel, Storm and Magneto.

Again I personally just want a port of UMvC3 because the game had unfinished business. Regardless me and the Kleenex are ready for whatever :wow:

Not buying the rumors of no Xmen characters. The series' foundation is literally Xmen children of the atom and Xmen vs Street Fighter. Fox has FILM rights to the Xmen. This would essentially be like Marvel not even being able to use the Xmen in any type of media, including comics. The Xmen are still a Marvel property. Marvel wouldn't be that clueless to listen to fighting games fan and make a Marvel can Capcom 4 but not have fan favorites Sentinel, Storm and Magneto.

Again I personally just want a port of UMvC3 because the game had unfinished business. Regardless me and the Kleenex are ready for whatever :wow:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=207133043&postcount=2316

That explains it.

Hope it's not the case.

Last edited:
See, it's all a matter of if Marvel WANTS to use them or not. This isn't a situation where they have to alienate the F4 and Xmen to spite Fox in the marketing department. The Marvel vs Capcom series has always been a celebration of the perspective companies history. The thrill of the game are the surprise characters from each perspective companies lore that you may think have been forgotten about or not as mainstream. From iceman's sprite appearing in MvC2 after not being around since Children of the Atom, to Phoenix Wright not even being a fighting game character and joining the frey.

If there are no Xmen characters, I won't support this game. I know plenty like me who share a love for this game and would do the same. I remember going to this laundromat by Queens Center Mall and seeing that arcade cabinet with Cyclops the guy I would see in all my older cousins comic books shaking hands with that karate man, Ryu from Street Fighter. My life changed forever. Literally, from my obsession with Street Fighter and everything Capcom to my obsession with Marvel comics. Won't let Marvel and their greed and Capcom and their persistence to avoid bankruptcy waterdown what this series means to me...

I wouldn't put any blame on Capcom. They have no say on the Marvel side of things and it's them who have developed all the games throughout the years.

If Marvel does block the X-men then I would be hugely disappointed but it won't be a deal breaker for me. I just love the dynamics and engines of versus games so even something like a Capcom all stars would have been fine for me if they couldn't get the Marvel license.

PSX is this weekend so hopefully it isn't true and they are in the game.

Only way I see it even remotely working is coming out the gate with Xmen and F4 characters as DLC. Marvel/Capcom will not only be upfront with the pettiness but make big bucks off of DLC. I don't know how well that would fare for the FGC though, I don't remember Shuma or Jill being very big in tourney's and Shuma was RIDICULOUS in Marvel 3

Only way I see it even remotely working is coming out the gate with Xmen and F4 characters as DLC. Marvel/Capcom will not only be upfront with the pettiness but make big bucks off of DLC. I don't know how well that would fare for the FGC though, I don't remember Shuma or Jill being very big in tourney's and Shuma was RIDICULOUS in Marvel 3
Jill was very good but lacked the damaged for the effort. Shuma holds his own but pretty execution heavy to get the most out of him. That spinning spike move is really good, though.

Back
Top Bottom