Sup NT, I've survived a 7.1 earthquake and now a 6.3 vol. My city is in ruins

good to hear you're ok. i've lived in san francisco my entire life and i've been through a 6.9 and tons of smaller quakes throughout the years and earthquakes are still one thing i'll never get used to. be safe out there.

good to hear you're ok. i've lived in san francisco my entire life and i've been through a 6.9 and tons of smaller quakes throughout the years and earthquakes are still one thing i'll never get used to. be safe out there.

I live in Chch too, but am luckily away for two weeks to get married - I have no idea if there is my place is still intact or if there is anything to go back to. Horrific. Can't get hold of some of my mates, no idea if they are okay. The footage on TV is just traumatic.  

I live in Chch too, but am luckily away for two weeks to get married - I have no idea if there is my place is still intact or if there is anything to go back to. Horrific. Can't get hold of some of my mates, no idea if they are okay. The footage on TV is just traumatic.  

Originally Posted by 12baller12

It's really the central city, Lyttleton, St Albans, New Brighton, Avonside, Redcliffs and Sumner that have been hit the worst this time. I hope your place is okay.

The lines are really struggling at the moment. Vodafone keeps dipping in and out of service and a lot of places over that side of the city don't have power.

Originally Posted by 12baller12

It's really the central city, Lyttleton, St Albans, New Brighton, Avonside, Redcliffs and Sumner that have been hit the worst this time. I hope your place is okay.

The lines are really struggling at the moment. Vodafone keeps dipping in and out of service and a lot of places over that side of the city don't have power.

Originally Posted by vrai1

yo, two large quakes in a span of five months is insane. glad you're alright OP, do be safe. the damage i've seen so far is heartbreaking, that cathedral especially. my JAFA friend was telling me that it may wind up being to unstable to rebuild in certain areas of the city - is that true?
JAFA?

Basically it comes down to how badly damaged the ground is underneath. It is possible to engineer the ground through vibrocompaction of the soil itself and then vibrocompacting fill (like riverbed stones etc) on top of that to create one big surface that can withstand earthquakes. We have a newly developed township 30 mins away from the central city that had its land engineered because of a risk or liquefaction (silt and water coming up through the earths surface due to immense pressure underground) that is a testament to this process and came out of the 7.1 earthquake in September unscathed.

It really depends on the ground. I'm sure they will do everything in their power to rebuild the central city.

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

OP, glad that you and your loved ones are safe. My prayers and condolences go out to those in NZ who are suffering from this disaster.
May I ask, how did your building hold up without being damaged (let alone collapse) as bad as the rest of the buildings shown on the news (other than the fact you may have been far away from the epicenter of the earthquake)?

Thanks sir. Most buildings will have some damage from this one. But it really comes down the laws and building standards we have in place here. Our building code dictates that buildings need to be braced against wind and earthquakes to a certain level depending on where it is in the country. My city is the worst case scenario for the country because we get all types of weather and then the bracing for the earthquakes must be on par with the bracing requirement for the wind, so structurally speaking, our buildings are very, very sound.

I was in a mall which had been built at the end of last year. Don't get me wrong, we survived and got out unscathed, but pipes had gone, on the upper level water was coming out of the roof above a sushi shop, and this is what I saw from a quick glance as we were evacuated to the street. I'd hate to have been in the middle of the mall, luckily I was pretty much at the end.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how far away you are from the epicentre. When the 7.1 struck in September, Kaiapoi, a township 60kms away from the epicentre and pretty much on the other side of the city, was absolutely devastated.

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

Originally Posted by DanzInRealLife

Holla
it's all about lateral bracing... remember a lot of large buildings are concrete, and of course, you cannot pull concrete.

i'd hate to be in a poorly reinforced concrete building during an earth quake.

what are you studying? how can I determine if my education is recognized in NZ? i REALLY want to spend a couple years working/living there or even AUS in the next while

going to be A LOT of construction projects popping up to re build over the next ten years....blessing/curse for you

True, but even the concrete buildings we have here are designed in a way that lets them move with earthquakes. Our building code is no joke. So would I man, it's bad enough with our house being on piles, it sways like a damn boat.

I'm doing quantity surveying, also known as cost engineering over in the States. What are you doing? I would say a bachelor's would be best (I'm not really familiar with the tertiary education system there, like associates degrees, etc or whatever) but sometimes, when it comes down to it, experience is where it counts. You may have a degree from the best university but when push comes to shove a person of experience in something like the construction industry is always going to be better off than someone with none.

There is/will be a lot more. I've got a part time job at a construction company helping out the project manager with a few existing earthquake jobs, which are also heritage buildings... We're losing our history man. It's %!+!@$% sad. I'm scared to know what happened to those two jobs. One is in the central city. The other is currently lifted up and relocated further on the site because we're redoing the piles and foundations. I really, really hope it hasn't fallen over.

Originally Posted by vrai1

yo, two large quakes in a span of five months is insane. glad you're alright OP, do be safe. the damage i've seen so far is heartbreaking, that cathedral especially. my JAFA friend was telling me that it may wind up being to unstable to rebuild in certain areas of the city - is that true?
JAFA?

Basically it comes down to how badly damaged the ground is underneath. It is possible to engineer the ground through vibrocompaction of the soil itself and then vibrocompacting fill (like riverbed stones etc) on top of that to create one big surface that can withstand earthquakes. We have a newly developed township 30 mins away from the central city that had its land engineered because of a risk or liquefaction (silt and water coming up through the earths surface due to immense pressure underground) that is a testament to this process and came out of the 7.1 earthquake in September unscathed.

It really depends on the ground. I'm sure they will do everything in their power to rebuild the central city.

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

OP, glad that you and your loved ones are safe. My prayers and condolences go out to those in NZ who are suffering from this disaster.
May I ask, how did your building hold up without being damaged (let alone collapse) as bad as the rest of the buildings shown on the news (other than the fact you may have been far away from the epicenter of the earthquake)?

Thanks sir. Most buildings will have some damage from this one. But it really comes down the laws and building standards we have in place here. Our building code dictates that buildings need to be braced against wind and earthquakes to a certain level depending on where it is in the country. My city is the worst case scenario for the country because we get all types of weather and then the bracing for the earthquakes must be on par with the bracing requirement for the wind, so structurally speaking, our buildings are very, very sound.

I was in a mall which had been built at the end of last year. Don't get me wrong, we survived and got out unscathed, but pipes had gone, on the upper level water was coming out of the roof above a sushi shop, and this is what I saw from a quick glance as we were evacuated to the street. I'd hate to have been in the middle of the mall, luckily I was pretty much at the end.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how far away you are from the epicentre. When the 7.1 struck in September, Kaiapoi, a township 60kms away from the epicentre and pretty much on the other side of the city, was absolutely devastated.

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

Originally Posted by DanzInRealLife

Holla
it's all about lateral bracing... remember a lot of large buildings are concrete, and of course, you cannot pull concrete.

i'd hate to be in a poorly reinforced concrete building during an earth quake.

what are you studying? how can I determine if my education is recognized in NZ? i REALLY want to spend a couple years working/living there or even AUS in the next while

going to be A LOT of construction projects popping up to re build over the next ten years....blessing/curse for you

True, but even the concrete buildings we have here are designed in a way that lets them move with earthquakes. Our building code is no joke. So would I man, it's bad enough with our house being on piles, it sways like a damn boat.

I'm doing quantity surveying, also known as cost engineering over in the States. What are you doing? I would say a bachelor's would be best (I'm not really familiar with the tertiary education system there, like associates degrees, etc or whatever) but sometimes, when it comes down to it, experience is where it counts. You may have a degree from the best university but when push comes to shove a person of experience in something like the construction industry is always going to be better off than someone with none.

There is/will be a lot more. I've got a part time job at a construction company helping out the project manager with a few existing earthquake jobs, which are also heritage buildings... We're losing our history man. It's %!+!@$% sad. I'm scared to know what happened to those two jobs. One is in the central city. The other is currently lifted up and relocated further on the site because we're redoing the piles and foundations. I really, really hope it hasn't fallen over.

Originally Posted by Illuztrious

5km is about 1.6 miles

Sorry about your loss but 5K is over 3 miles bro.
roll.gif
my bad sir, I stand corrected, lemme change that *takes L*

So now they're talking upwards of 100 people dead. I'm not saying all of our buildings are super strong but to have survived what they have previously, with the 7.1 and now this, the majority have done well.

You can see tops of pine trees in amongst that dirt/rocks/clay

People are still trapped in this building
frown.gif

So now they're talking upwards of 100 people dead. I'm not saying all of our buildings are super strong but to have survived what they have previously, with the 7.1 and now this, the majority have done well.

You can see tops of pine trees in amongst that dirt/rocks/clay

People are still trapped in this building
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom