The 2014-2015 NBA Season Thread. Lock It Up Please: The Golden State Warriors Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
And according to PER GSW is by far the best defensive team in the league.

Learn something new erday

I believe they're #1 in D by a number of metrics. But guess what? Their D also passes the eye test. I've watched a bunch of GSW games and its obvious they're a great defensive team. If you don't think so, you either haven't seen enough of them play or you're not paying attention.

no point in mocking a specific stat/advanced stat. of course it doesnt tell the whole story and its dumb to base an entire argument on a stat(s) but it is a valid way to support an argument/opinion 

Look I don't know what else to say can't tell if you guys are trolling, very young, or just struggle with math.

a sort of antagonism towards math and science is strange and uniquely american thing.

I would understand it more if it was some Bayesian linear regression like some advanced plus minus systems, but PER, defensive/offensive rating. it's adding subtracting/division. it's dumb simple,

Stats can have flaws and outliers. Really that simple. PER isn't a perfect metric to determine a players ranking or value, but it helps. When judging a player...a number of things have to come into context. Eye test, box score stats, winning etc etc.

This isn't hard people...

Kevin Love ended last season 3rd in PER. High usage. Does ANYONE believe he was the 3rd best player behind KD and LeBron last year or even the best at his position?

I believe they're #1 in D by a number of metrics. But guess what? Their D also passes the eye test. I've watched a bunch of GSW games and its obvious they're a great defensive team. If you don't think so, you either haven't seen enough of them play or you're not paying attention.

So they're a better defensive team than MEM?

Kevin Love ended last season 3rd in PER. High usage. Does ANYONE believe he was the 3rd best player behind KD and LeBron last year or even the best at his position?
you're not really arguing with anyone 
laugh.gif

Stats can have flaws and outliers. Really that simple. PER isn't a perfect metric to determine a players ranking or value, but it helps. When judging a player...a number of things have to come into context. Eye test, box score stats, winning etc etc.

Exactly. The PER dudes don't believe anything else matters. All my averages are better, my teams record is better and I beat you head to head yet your the better player due to PER. It's laughable.

You gotta be trolling. Gotta be. Clearly he wasn't a top 3 player last year...but he was arguably best in his position and a top 10 player. Some things are favorable in stats depending on skillset and position. K love was a fantasy monster. You get caught up in stats too much. You can't possibly think everyone takes everything so literal and finite

Exactly. The PER dudes don't believe anything else matters. All my averages are better, my teams record is better and I beat you head to head yet your the better player due to PER. It's laughable.

Ok I see so you are mad that people don't think your favorite player is better than Chris Paul.

life isn't fair i guess. *shrugs*

Exactly. The PER dudes don't believe anything else matters. All my averages are better

Just stop, man.

Averages are how PER is determined, :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

No...that's too simple. Basketball is a team game. Beating someone head to head, having a better record and having better averages does not make you a better player.

Instead of typing Kevin Love averaged 26 PPG/13 RPG/4 APG/ on 46/38/8 FTA we just say 26 PER.

its the same thing just more convenient it's not accurate down to the decimal point.

get over it.

I mean, is GS NOT one of the best defensive teams in the league this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom