The 2014-2015 NBA Season Thread. Lock It Up Please: The Golden State Warriors Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Westbrook's season reminds me of Kobe's 02-03 season when he really started to make an impact on the league. Shaq was out for a lot of time and he was doing everything. Scoring, passing, rebounding. Westbrook's doing the same thing.

You're cherry picking players though. What about all the bust that come out of college?

Scouting and evaluating players is a crapshoot and at the end of the day, if a player is going to flame out or be a bust he's going to be a bust. Just like franchises were drafting hs players high like martell, franchises draft guys like wesley johnson out of college at 4th. There are going to be bust but if they come into the league at 18 or 19, they can gain their footing with more time on their career arcs.

There's always going to be busts - I'm not denying that. More data helps limit that though. Wes Johnson had a ton of red flags coming out of college. Kahn just ignored them. But we knew them. I think it's fair to say that HS kids are a lot more mysterious than a college player after one year. I'm looking at it from a team drafting perspective. That 30 game sample size against college teams is very important. For development, the NBA is far superior.

college classes are overrated, to really get the most of out college you have to learn outside of class and going to a school for one year while focusing on basketball wont allow you to do that

pretty pointless imo
Makes the term "student/athlete" seem like a complete joke.

There's always going to be busts - I'm not denying that. More data helps limit that though. Wes Johnson had a ton of red flags coming out of college. Kahn just ignored them. But we knew them. I think it's fair to say that HS kids are a lot more mysterious than a college player after one year. I'm looking at it from a team drafting perspective. That 30 game sample size against college teams is very important. For development, the NBA is far superior.

You really aren't gaining much of a pulse on a player by having him play 30 games in a college setting with college coaching, and with teammates who aren't sniffing the NBA. If anything, having a legit NBA prospect play in that environment is a detriment. It makes it harder to see what he actually can do. You can't take much away from evaluating a player in college because he's playing with teammates who don't have NBA level skill / talent and is playing against schemes that don't mirror NBA defense at all.

Another reason why making the D league a legit minor league would be the obvious solution. If they really cared about the product, the D league would be the answer, not letting them stay in that aforementioned environment for a longer period of time. That doesn't really make sense.

when's the last time NT had a hoop summit? ryan you don't want to see me on the courts b
nthat.gif
I don' t now, but I think that @rck3sactown and @LiCeNseD To BaLL are working on something for California. If LTB can lock up the UC Santa Barbara rec cen for it and some East Coast/Midwest/Canadian (
nerd.gif
) NTers show up for it, I swear drinks on me on State Street afterward.
Yo.
nerd.gif

Im trying to make this happen for the summer.
Stay tuned so cal folks
smokin.gif
let me know ahead of time so i can book my flights 
nerd.gif

when's the last time NT had a hoop summit? ryan you don't want to see me on the courts b
nthat.gif
I don' t now, but I think that @rck3sactown and @LiCeNseD To BaLL are working on something for California. If LTB can lock up the UC Santa Barbara rec cen for it and some East Coast/Midwest/Canadian (
nerd.gif
) NTers show up for it, I swear drinks on me on State Street afterward.
Yo.
nerd.gif

Im trying to make this happen for the summer.
Stay tuned so cal folks
smokin.gif
let me know ahead of time so i can book my flights 
nerd.gif
I'll be ready, 4-6 more weeks till I'm cleared for ball 
nthat.gif

Put it this way.

The NBA is the grand stage.

It currently has several feeder pools.

The NCAA, International Leagues, and it's own Developmental League.

Out of those three...the NCAA really serves no purpose. If they put real money into the D-League, each of the 30 teams in the NBA would have their own feeder team. They would be able to negotiate with HS school prospects, put them through a draft that would be WAY more than 2 rounds, and each team would have the option to call up their prospect whenever they see fit. 

That's an entirely different animal than "one and dones". There would be virtually NO POINT whatsoever for 5 and 4 star prospects to play college basketball. The guys who would be attending the elite NCAA programs would be made up of 3 star and below prospects. The shoe giants would be able to strike deals with guys as soon as they graduate high school. The D-League would TAKE off in popularity.

Just because you can't pinpoint the relationship on the surface...does not mean that one doesn't exist between the NCAA and NBA. There HAS to be one. The NCAA is nothing more than feeder pool for the NBA and they hide behind the "free education" ********. 

As i've been alluding to, all of this man. All of this.

And in my heart of hearts, the relationship between the two has something to do with how long each entity can make money off of the player. College gets to have the player longer, while the NBA gets him later and makes money off of him while he's with a **** franchise well into his prime.

It def should be. But u know these 1 and dones aint goin to no real class.

So why should their be more of an emphasis on education then :lol: ? The only people who aren't going to class or don't care about the education aspect of being a student athlete (i'm generalizing a bit here) are the ones who are going to be making millions of dollars in a year anyway :lol:

The NBA did fine with allowing preps in, they will be fine if they do it again. Despite the NCAA's groans. Bottom line, the NCAA can't do much to hurt the NBA, or at least nobody's listed anything yet of substance

The "education" these guys receive is BS. Think of how challenging college is for people. People that are focused on academics, people that go to college-prep high schools, people that have no other responsibilities while on campus. These guys go to high schools that don't prepare them at all for college. The focus is basketball and becoming eligible for college.

Once in college, the school puts them in 'easy' classes with professors that know the deal. They give them "tutors" that give them all the answers to stuff. Literally, their only responsibility is to show up to class. They have to put in A LOT of hours for basketball - not just for their own individual development but for the team.

Now you have 18 year old kids who aren't being challenged to learn AT ALL (how many college freshman would turn down answers to all quizzes, tests, exams? how many would turn down classes where they get A's just for showing up) and to add: they're not prepared for this level of work and barely have time if they buckled down and tried their best.

People blame the students but it's not really an easy decision for someone at 16-19 with NBA dreams to turn down the "help" they receive. Especially when they HAVE to devote a ton of time into basketball so they could be near the top of their class and have a chance to make money off of basketball.

The misconception is that this only happens with top NBA caliber guys. Completely untrue. Most guys on major D1 programs have professional basketball dreams. Not necessarily NBA but Europe, D-League, anything. It's a messed up system that starts with the guys on the top who don't truly value education AT ALL. The guys who should know better.

^ no one playing in D1A ball has any kind of hoop dreams save for NBA dreams. 

get rid of the one year removed thing. leave the d league as is. where  the hell would the money come from to pay them real nba salaries anyway?

Last edited:
even for non ball players, college kids care way more about getting grades than actually learning. the education system is a joke

The "education" these guys receive is BS. Think of how challenging college is for people. People that are focused on academics, people that go to college-prep high schools, people that have no other responsibilities while on campus. These guys go to high schools that don't prepare them at all for college. The focus is basketball and becoming eligible for college.

Once in college, the school puts them in 'easy' classes with professors that know the deal. They give them "tutors" that give them all the answers to stuff. Literally, their only responsibility is to show up to class. They have to put in A LOT of hours for basketball - not just for their own individual development but for the team.

Now you have 18 year old kids who aren't being challenged to learn AT ALL (how many college freshman would turn down answers to all quizzes, tests, exams? how many would turn down classes where they get A's just for showing up) and to add: they're not prepared for this level of work and barely have time if they buckled down and tried their best.

People blame the students but it's not really an easy decision for someone at 16-19 with NBA dreams to turn down the "help" they receive. Especially when they HAVE to devote a ton of time into basketball so they could be near the top of their class and have a chance to make money off of basketball.

The misconception is that this only happens with top NBA caliber guys. Completely untrue. Most guys on major D1 programs have professional basketball dreams. Not necessarily NBA but Europe, D-League, anything. It's a messed up system that starts with the guys on the top who don't truly value education AT ALL. The guys who should know better.
Both sides have valid points.  But what about the kids that fall off?  What is their Plan B?  We've read a lot about ex players and past players were either bankrupt, robbing houses, having their chains snatched, and etc.  Where is Latrell now?  How about Juan Dixon or Duwan Wagner?  Heck, where is Kwame or Nesterovich?

Usually when LeBron has come to Atlanta it'd basically be a road game for the Hawks. I wonder what it'll be like tonight

They did the same thing for Kobe as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom