The 2014-2015 NBA Season Thread. Lock It Up Please: The Golden State Warriors Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe Lacob told Mark Jackson to take his wallet and get the best coaches and he didn't do that.

Not only this but he had a horrible relationship with the assistants he did have. He fired Scal without cause in front of the team and then sent him to the D-League, he went out of his way to deny credit to his assistants on the record (in particular Mike Malone), Darren Erman recorded his conversations because he suspected Mark was badmouthing him to the other coaches, he didn't want Jerry West watching their practices, he clashed with Bogut because of Mark's insistence on bringing religion into the locker room (Bogut isn't religious), and all this dysfunction was in addition to blatantly misusing his players on offense.

I can't wait for OKC to hire him and go 72-10 though.

OKC needs to hire whoever has worked or still works for or alongside Popovich, if they've been there 5+ years.

I don't care who, don't need to know the name, sex, age or anything, just that they've been on Pops team 5+ years, hire that guy, or gal. Thank you.
indifferent.gif

Last edited:
Joe Lacob told Mark Jackson to take his wallet and get the best coaches and he didn't do that.

Not only this but he had a horrible relationship with the assistants he did have. He fired Scal without cause in front of the team and then sent him to the D-League, he went out of his way to deny credit to his assistants on the record (in particular Mike Malone), Darren Erman recorded his conversations because he suspected Mark was badmouthing him to the other coaches, he didn't want Jerry West watching their practices, he clashed with Bogut because of Mark's insistence on bringing religion into the locker room (Bogut isn't religious), and all this dysfunction was in addition to blatantly misusing his players on offense.

I can't wait for OKC to hire him and go 72-10 though.

Plus he made anti-gay comments when the teams president is openly gay. Mark did everything the wrong way and paid the price.

lol mama dere goes that man

n wtheck is up with alvin gentrie eye lid. dude looks baked, especially wen he smiles. would not trust my daughter or son to attend his basketball camps

It had to take injuries in the playoffs for Mark Jackson to make moves like go small in 2013 or start Draymond in 2014. It took Steve Kerr one training camp.

To be fair, he also had 2 years of footage to watch to figure out what wasn't working as well...
Mark started from scratch with a lot of his roster.

Not saying Kerr isn't better for the team (he is obviously) but he did have the benefit of being able to learn from Marks mistakes with that roster.

Something about 2-3 time hire coaches doesn't sit well with me.

Me either but he's only been hired and fired once...and it's not like he got fired because his team sucked. He had that squad on the verge of doing great things as we see this year.

I always prefer an up and coming assistant rather than I guy that's been hired and fired several times. Alvin Gentry has proven time and again he's a really good Assistant Coach and an average head coach. I understand talking to Ollie but I'm still not convinced he's a great coach even with a national title on his resume
The last time Gentry had elite talent, his team swept San Antonio & was 2 wins away from the finals.

Good coaches adapt over time. Look at how Pop has the Spurs playing offensively now compared to 2003.

Gentry has adapted, and like I said, the last time he had a good squad, they nearly went to the finals in the West. And you can almost directly attribute that to his influence because the roster had no chance at the conference finals under Terry Porter. Today, he's a bit better than average. In 1994, '98, & '01 he wasn't.

Carlisle is a retread too who adapted. The present day Mavs play nothing like those JO Pacers or those DET teams he had.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Brown, Jerry Sloan, Avery Johnson. 

They'd all still take a job I think and......they would implement some type of defense.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Brown, Jerry Sloan, Avery Johnson. 

They'd all still take a job I think and......they would implement some type of defense.
Meet me in Temecula for suggesting Mike ******* Brown

OKC don't need offense, so D'anPhony is not needed to those suggesting him

Brown is worse than Brooks.

Ollie is a better choice than Cal. D'antoni is more intriguing than Donovan.

Last edited:
I like Ron Adams from GSW as well.

OKC needs defense more than anything, they even put up numbers in Brooks ISO everhtbing system.

i know d'antoni is a retread, but it would be very interesting to see him with durant and westbrook at his disposal.
would be interesting to see.. especially for the role players.. but he's pretty terrible with his disposal of mins too (and keep his rotations very limited during the season.. it's ok come playoff time, but the season is way too long for it)

Was Presti the one who chose Brooks and refused to fire him
kinda handicapped by the situation with brooks.. every year it was something that would have made it a pain to fire him..

and really he was taking over for pj carlesimo who had to go 1-12 to get fired (and was playing KD at SG)

I don't think Brown is nearly as bad as yall make him out to be - but he's too similar to Brooks. I think someone like Ollie would be ideal but this whole thing about getting KD-Russ's approval is totally overblown. Those two guys are competitors that rode with Brooks to the death even when he made poor decisions. Those guys are playing hard no matter what and will get along fine with their coach. KD and Russ aren't perfect but they aren't divas who need everything catered to their every whim. Either way, we already know that a healthy OKC team is good for 60 wins regardless of coach. It's about developing a system and structure for long term success + getting rid of dudes like Waiters.

If I were to guess - Presti probably wanted to fire Brooks a while ago. PR wise - I'm sure ownership didn't want to fire such a successful coach. Money wise - they didn't want to pay a coach for multiple years to not coach. His hands were probably tied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom