The 2014-2015 NBA Season Thread. Lock It Up Please: The Golden State Warriors Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sources: Scott Skiles the frontrunner to become Magic's next coach

Scott Skiles has emerged as the strong frontrunner to become head coach of the Orlando Magic, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Magic general manager Rob Hennigan has discussed the opening with several possible candidates, but Skiles has clearly separated himself in the process, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Although Orlando has thus far shown no inclination to rush into a hiring, discussions could soon advance into contract negotiations, league sources said.
Skiles, 51, has been the preferred choice of Orlando ownership, which has been fond of him since his playing days with the Magic in the 1990s. Skiles fits the candidate profile that Hennigan privately outlined for the coaching search: a successful head-coaching résumé that includes strong emphasis on upgrading Orlando’s defense and accountability.

In head-coaching stops in Phoenix, Chicago and Milwaukee, Skiles developed a reputation for turning bad teams into competitive ones, and tightening porous defensive units. Nevertheless, Skiles also built a reputation for burning out teams and wearing out a path to his exit.

Skiles didn’t have a good relationship with Orlando forward Tobias Harris while they were together in Milwaukee. Harris is a restricted free agent this summer and could command a $12 million-$14 million annual salary on the market.

Orlando had interest in discussing its opening with Chicago Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau, but the Magic haven’t wanted to offer draft compensation for the chance to acquire him, league sources said. Chicago management has been waiting for a team to offer a draft pick to hire Thibodeau, but so far that hasn’t happened. The Bulls seem determined to hold on to Thibodeau until the league’s job vacancies fill, and a firing in Chicago would likely leave him out of coaching next season.

Skiles has a career regular-season coaching record of 443-433 and 18-24 in the playoffs. He reached the conference semifinals once each in Phoenix and Chicago.

Orlando fired Jacque Vaughn in February and finished a 25-57 season with interim coach James Borrego. The Magic have an intriguing young core of talent, including center Nikola Vucevic, guards Victor Oladipo and Elfrid Payton, and Harris.

Skiles resigned as Bucks coach in 2013 and has been living in the Orlando area for most of the time since his dismissal.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...r-to-become-magic-s-next-coach-165227943.html

:rofl:

Don't get me wrong, he's an NBA caliber coach, but what is it with teams just going after re-treads? I don't see the point in this at all

Funny because 3 out of 4 coaches in the conference finals are first time NBA head coaches.

Was just thinking this. And with Brad Stevens' success, you'd think more teams would be more creative with their coaching hires.

Who makes a move for Harris btw? Lakers, Knicks, Pels? Probably some random like the Raptors will end up with him

If Skiles comes to ORL, they probably don't match and try to make Aaron Gordon his replacement

Harris worries me but at the same time a team like the Pels don't have any other real options and they MUST surround Davis ASAP with as much talent as possible. He's about to get a ton of cash thrown his way

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if Skiles also tries to reconcile with Harris tbh. People make mistakes, maybe both of them weren't innocent 

Tobias is very underrated. averaged 17 & 6 last season while shooting 46%

don't know if he's a 3 or a 4 but he'd help any team he went to.

Tobias is very underrated. averaged 17 & 6 last season while shooting 46%

don't know if he's a 3 or a 4 but he'd help any team he went to.

Also improved his 3pt shooting from 25% to 36% and he's turning 23 next month.

He's a great 2nd option in this league.

Last edited:
I know we've moved on but I agree that the buss slander is overplayed. Everyone likes to call him an idiot but he and the rest of the front office have made some very crafty and subtle moves the past few years if you actually pay attention. The worst and most visible mistake was the stay billboard for dwight and that was Jeanie's idea. I think the slander comes from the organization masquerading as contenders when really they've been rebuilding since phil left

What did the Lakers lose on the Dwight trade?

Again, it's difficult to say what Mitch has done and what Buss has done

It would shock me to hear that Buss had anything to do with draft selections, Mitch has always done a solid job with draft picks

He had everything to do with the coaching decisions, which again, IMO prohibited the actual team to form an identity or system

The Lakers still owe a draft pick in 2016 for Steve Nash.

They still owe a draft pick in 2018 for Dwight Howard.

Kobe will make 25 million dollars in his 20th season.

They got NOTHING for Pau Gasol.

They're paying Nick Young for 3 more seasons.

Mistakes have been made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom