The Boondocks Season 4 Adult Swim Bump

Let the writers write it's their job that in turn can take the show in to any direction that's the point.

But even when McGruder's ire was scattershot and confused, and even when he seemed painfully young, you could sense the man behind the art. It was as personal as a rant by Uncle Ruckus. These two new episodes don't feel personal. In the Pretty Boy Flizzy episode, the singer's lawyer, Thomas Dubois, observes Flizzy's sneering criminal antics and ultimately learns how to be A Man and make women respect him (with his fists, natch). Every joke is driven into the ground with a sledgehammer, the subtext of much of the humor is both racist and sexist, and hip-hop culture itself is depicted as uniformly misogynist, cynical, and dumb. When Flizzy tells Tom that "Women have no self respect," it's clear that we're supposed to take him at his word.

There's something unnervingly sock-puppet-ish about the whole thing, like reading a Fox News story online and coming across a comment by somebody who has an African-American avatar but is spewing exactly the same reactionary nonsense as everyone else on the page, in the same words, and in the same tone.

Except for Flizzy's montage of apologies — which includes a mea culpa for fighting with Nicki Minaj in the VIP section of a nightclub after mistaking her for a Terminator — it's depressingly flat.
http://www.vulture.com/2014/04/seitz-the-boondocks-season-4-review.html

Last edited:
Let the writers write it's their job that in turn can take the show in to any direction that's the point.

Brah the writers already did their jobs, months, maybe even over a year ago. The writing is done

We don't like what they came up with.

This is not a "Let them cook" situation. They already made the meal, and after the first couple bites, we think it taste like ****

The Good Times theme was the only funny thing. Especially the shot on the Dubois.

Episode was pretty weak. However, previous seasons have had weak episodes too.
I'm sayin. The boondocks has always been a great show and there's no way im gonna stop watching the last season, Im gonna reserve my judgement until it's all over 

Episode wasn't even bad, just meh. Laughed a few times. The last minute tho was just wrong on all counts tho.

To every one saying that the episode wasn't bad or that it was actually funny...

Yes, they might be hitting points that are true but it isn't being done at the same level of class.

- watching the voice actors piece their way through the dialogue.. it doesn't have the same flow.

- watching the characters react to situations rather than create them

- grandad has always been cheap/ stingy where is the continuation?

- Even if he was getting bullied by a loan shark he wouldn't have broken down like that. he would've had some smart remarks

- huey has no answers? not even a real suggestion on what grandad should be doing to handle things... that's unusual

- riley.. the candy selling don.. didn't have any street-smart input on hustling up the money

- uncle rukus doesn't go around calling people ***** for the heck of it. He usually does it when making some sly comment about them as a people.

- Also, tom is a lawyer! He had no place in the episode. Would've preferred screen time for him, than the presidential campaign stuff dropped in.

- bottom line is if you have watched all the seasons and enjoyed them. Then you know Aaron did a lot of character development and we grew to love these folks

- the writers who are doing it now have no attachment to the characters, only the jokes and punchlines

Season 2 was the gold standard for humor

and season 3 was the gold standard for message.

neither elements are present here
repped
Watching it right now. That's shows how interested it's keeping me.

mean.gif

It's like somebody watched a half season of this and The Chappelle Show(even referenced the confusion from the "hanging in a chow line" line in the Good Times thing) and thought they had an understanding of black comedy. How did the landlord know Huey had "political views"?

OMG and a "Trading Places" reference?!? I'm willing to bet there are no fights this season, McGruder had to fight for fight scenes when he was part of the show.
repped

This why I love NT. Ioneem gotta say no mo!

To every one saying that the episode wasn't bad or that it was actually funny...

Yes, they might be hitting points that are true but it isn't being done at the same level of class.
- watching the voice actors piece their way through the dialogue.. it doesn't have the same flow.
- watching the characters react to situations rather than create them
- grandad has always been cheap/ stingy where is the continuation?
- Even if he was getting bullied by a loan shark he wouldn't have broken down like that. he would've had some smart remarks
- huey has no answers? not even a real suggestion on what grandad should be doing to handle things... that's unusual
- riley.. the candy selling don.. didn't have any street-smart input on hustling up the money
- uncle rukus doesn't go around calling people ***** for the heck of it. He usually does it when making some sly comment about them as a people.
- Also, tom is a lawyer! He had no place in the episode. Would've preferred screen time for him, than the presidential campaign stuff dropped in.
- bottom line is if you have watched all the seasons and enjoyed them. Then you know Aaron did a lot of character development and we grew to love these folks
- the writers who are doing it now have no attachment to the characters, only the jokes and punchlines

Season 2 was the gold standard for humor
and season 3 was the gold standard for message.
neither elements are present here

You hit the nail right on the head.

Repped!

show is definitely suffering without the involvement of Aaron Mcgruder

the new episodes have been entertaining and funny so far, but nowhere near as good as any other season. definitely doesn't flow the same.

I was already a bit tired when I started to watch it, but turned it off midway through. I finally watched the entire episode, and see I didn't miss anything. This is not the same show. I don't expect things to get any better.

I thought the slavery discussion at the end was ridiculous.

The Uncle Ruckus racism crap is getting OLD FAST. Still I enjoyed it :smokin

It's not that it got old, it's the fact that it's being used improperly and in poor context.

There using Ruckus too much, and he is too turnt when he is on screen. Ruckus is funniest when he is casually dropping his racial gems, it adds to the outrageous of the character because it is like "How can he say his stuff so calmly"

Then from time to time he shows up raging.

Like when he threw the brick at MLK, the funniest part was not him shouting at MLK, but him saying that he would have shot him back in the day but he realize "the white man got better aim"

strong this

I was watching old episodes last night and it's just hilarious that anyone would suggest that the differences are subtle or not their. It was noticeable, but after going back to watch a bunch of my favorite episodes it's hard to out into words all of the negative differences. It really is like the last season of Martin

And to those saying old seasons had bad episodes, I look at it like this:

A lot of people said The Dark Knight Rises wasn't that good. Batman & Robin was panned.

That's the difference for me. The latest Batman trilogy is great and TDKR was weaker than the rest. But Batman & Robin was HORRIBLE for completely different reasons: campy, corny/forced dialogue, etc.

New Boondocks = Batman & Robin.

I was less harsh before but, like I said, I watched the old ones and it's literally like I just watched The Dark Knight after watching Batman & Robin. So now I can safely say this **** is wack. I didn't have to look for entertainment in old episodes, I was just entertained.

Last edited:
To me, the boondocks had always been hit and miss. I've never universally liked mcgruders work and I've been "offended" by some of the things he's had kn the show in past seasons. So I'm not completely understanding where some guys are coming from. While the last 2 haven't been great, how many stinkers had there been in the past 3 seasons?

To me, the boondocks had always been hit and miss. I've never universally liked mcgruders work and I've been "offended" by some of the things he's had kn the show in past seasons. So I'm not completely understanding where some guys are coming from. While the last 2 haven't been great, how many stinkers had there been in the past 3 seasons?

I love don't feel there have ever been any ture stinkers in past seasons. Yes there have been lackluster ones but the Boondocks are really about 3 things: the story, the message/satire, and the dialogue/interplay/gags between the characters (basically the jokes)

In the past season one or two of those elements have fallen flat, true. But the other elements were strong enough so that you can have an entertaining episode. And when all 3 clicked you had classic television.

This season so far, all the elements are bad. That's the problem

Damn that moment when I just finished watching the episode and thought it was ok :lol: I laughed some

Man there has been bad episodes in every season. Most folks already came in with the mindset that they're not going to like it without McGruder. People are overreacting heavily. Has these episodes been laugh out loud funny. Not at all. Have they been bad? Not even close.

Man there has been bad episodes in every season. Most folks already came in with the mindset that they're not going to like it without McGruder. People are overreacting heavily. Has these episodes been laugh out loud funny. Not at all. Have they been bad? Not even close.

Stop it, I came in here with a open mind just like I'm sure many have. Hell I didn't know McGruder had no hand in this season. It's clearly different, I bet Huey has said a total of 20 words so far. I've never found ruckus to be funny but this new ruckus is just on some other ****.

I think some are confused about the gripes fans have, based on what they've seen so far. :lol: It's not the fact that an episode was bad, but it seems a mockery is being made of the show, the plots serve no purpose, and didn't seem to deliver / touch on any message.

Like Rusty stated, when one element fell flat, the others made up for it, giving viewers something worth enjoying / discussing.

You're completely right with the first part of your post. Some people did doom this season from the start because of McGruder being gone. And while it was definitely by no means one of the better episodes, the Chris Brown episode did provide some laughs.

But this last episode was complete grade a garbage. Like someone said earlier, it missed on provided the lulz, the satire and message, something never previously accomplished by a Boondocks episode.

I was willing to give the show a chance without McGruder, and still am, but honestly, right now, the show coming on Mondays at 10:30 P.M EST on Adult Swim does not feel like the Boondocks at ALL.

I came in here defending the show. Telling yall to wait until it airs.

Not feeling the season so far :ohwell:

Man I gotta be the only feeling this season so far. The last was just funny for the Good Times references but combinations of Uncle Ruckus and the Idiociy that is Robert Freeman was bad. Also the bathroom scene was weak. Still when Good Times started playing my side hurt

It's missing authenticity now.

It's like the rap game, you have Nas and then you have his carbon copies. This show has become a bad carbon copy.

Not only is arron mcgruder gone, but I'm sure some of the dudes in his circle left with him. Like is Carl Jones AKA Tubesteak, is he still even producing the show? You need a funny man like Carl Jones because he knows whats funny and whats not, you can tell by his sketch comedy.

Theres no story, it's just a whole bunch of random stuff happening. The johnny rebel episode was an amazing story and should of been really offensive but they did an amazing job on the flow and the writing that you had no choice but to laugh at the blatant racism.

Looked it up and I'm just now finding out he's not apart of the show either:

Carl: Well here is what you have to understand, after the third season, I left. I didn’t produce the fourth season at all. After the third season I went on and produced a show for FOX with Affion Crockett, a sketch comedy show, and I also did the Black Dynamite pilot and then we got picked up for it, so I got really busy with Black Dynamite and I wasn’t able to continue on season 4 of The Boondocks. With that said, I don’t know, I can’t tell you what Aaron’s involvement was. Obviously you said he wasn’t involved, but if they said he wasn’t involved in the press release I guess that’s what it is.

Last edited:
^^^ Yeah I confused Rodney Barnes and Carl Jones early. I remember Macgruder praise Barnes years ago and being extremely funny anf him Arron allowing Jones to have more input into the show because he was coming up with gold.

Back
Top Bottom