The College Basketball Post

I love the press.

Like the more I watch college basketball I don't understand why more teams don't use it. The VCU havoc stuff is how I would run things If coached college ball.

Wake Forest is still open

Wake Forest is an awful job, small school, 4th biggest program in a state, maybe like the 8th biggest program in the conference. And they think of themselves as basketball school. Why would anyone want to sign up for that?

I love the press.

Like the more I watch college basketball I don't understand why more teams don't use it. The VCU havoc stuff is how I would run things If coached college ball.

I can understand why many coaches dont. Unless you have a very athletic team and great conditioning, you're toast if you do it.

I understand going home but turning down UCLA for eventually Marquette? That's laughable.

Not really, he would've been on a short leash at a school like UCLA. Going back home to Marquette is a smart move and gives him more time than he would've had at UCLA.

Shaka is still young, maybe he just wasn't ready to coach a school with high expectations like UCLA.

Why does everyone keeps saying that the Big East is a mid major? Yeah the Big East was terrible this year and will never be what it once was, but I'd be willing to bet in a year or 2 they'll start having 6-7 bids each year

I understand going home but turning down UCLA for eventually Marquette? That's laughable.

Again, not if you are from Wisconsin. Howland went to three Final 4's in a row, I can't think of any coach who had done that recently and ended up out of a job. Shaka will have security for life in a place that is his home. You guys get way caught up in all of this big name stuff. If UCLA was such a great job, they wouldn't have been turned down by so many people last year. It is what it is.

I can understand why many coaches dont. Unless you have a very athletic team and great conditioning, you're toast if you do it.

see but I think it is easier to find good athletes, who have some limitations basketball wise then it is to find highly skilled basketball players who are limited athletically.

and if over the course four years you can get them to hit a corner three you can be a really dangerous squad.

point is if you are at a small school you have to innovative and risk seeking.

I respect that more than anything.

Again, not if you are from Wisconsin. Howland went to three Final 4's in a row, I can't think of any coach who had done that recently and ended up out of a job. Shaka will have security for life in a place that is his home. You guys get way caught up in all of this big name stuff. If UCLA was such a great job, they wouldn't have been turned down by so many people last year. It is what it is.

Who turned down UCLA last year? I know they offered Brad Stevens but everyone else mentioned with the job was just speculation.

Why does everyone keeps saying that the Big East is a mid major? Yeah the Big East was terrible this year and will never be what it once was, but I'd be willing to bet in a year or 2 they'll start having 6-7 bids each year
Living in the moment, mostly. They should consistently be a 5 bid league in the future at the bare minimum. 

see but I think it is easier to find good athletes, who have some limitations basketball wise then it is to find highly skilled basketball players who are limited athletically.

and if over the course four years you can get them to hit a corner three you can be a really dangerous squad.

point is if you are at a small school you have to innovative and risk seeking.

I respect that more than anything.

Oh I agree. I love the press. If I was a coach I'd recruit the players you talked about. I wish Coach B did the full court press more man. It always works but he's so stubborn

UCLA is really insulated on the west coast. The fan base is just the immediate SoCal area these days. So they aren't a national brand like Duke, UK or UNC, which is due to location and media bias for sure.

Honestly UCLA is starting to look more like a football school.

IMO UCLA and Indiana are in somewhat similar situations. One-time big dogs with some historical significance. Occasionally field a competitive team that doesn't seem to be able to finish strong in the NCAA tourney even though they are projected to win. Produces some high draft picks.

The differences are that Indiana has a rabid fan base who are constantly screaming that they are relevant. Because of being around several relevant programs due to LOCATION they are heard by more folks, which makes them seem like they are in the mix.

I feel this is one of the reasons that UK is not going to schedule IU anymore. It's like the rich person who lost everything they had and are still being invited to the big social events. As long as they are still being invited they feel like they belong. Cut them off and they just disappear.

Biggest difference is that UCLA went out and got themselves a real coach who is ultra-competitive and wants to win more than anything. He will flourish by keeping the local talent. Howland's grindy, defensive style is not fun to watch or play, unless that's the only way you know how to play.

You guys are going to be tough over the next few years as long as Alford stays.
roll.gif

Just read that Ben Howland was asking for too much money and negotiations have begun with Shaka Smart.

Eron Harris transferring, huge blow to what would be a really good WVU team next year. Everyone should be in on him.

Hollowell leaving IU.

Back
Top Bottom