The College Basketball Post

Frank and Thornton are like polar opposite players. Don't see why ppl (not necessarily in here) look at it as a 1 for 1 trade.

Still gonna essentially be w/o a traditional type PG next year

Frank and Thornton are like polar opposite players. Don't see why ppl (not necessarily in here) look at it as a 1 for 1 trade.

This.

Frank just has the athleticism/explosiveness. Ball control and passing ability aren't his top attributes. He's a combo guard

Yea man, Im the first to say I don't have a clue on this kid frank.

Sooooooooo basically what you saying is we won't have a true pg again?

Josh Jackson to KU. 
pimp.gif

Now with Josh Jackson going there I wonder if Svi will still only get limited minutes if he plays behind Jackson and Vick on the wings

Now with Josh Jackson going there I wonder if Svi will still only get limited minutes if he plays behind Jackson and Vick on the wings
Svi wouldn't play behind Vick..only Jackson. Also wouldn't be completely shocked if Self ever played small ball next with with Mason, Graham, Jackson, Svi...

...or, some rumors going around Svi will go to Europe.

Hopefully Self learned his lesson and just puts Jackson at small ball 4 and lets him destroy college basketball.

Josh Jackson is the highest floor prospect, but if Harry Giles can prve that he's healthy and still explosive I would have him at #1.

Bill Self isn't ditching his high-low stuff. Always going to be play 2 bigs, maybe limited numbers up front makes him change

Last edited:
So why must Bill Self always get the blame? I mean wasn't Wiggins good in college? Wasn't X and Oubre lotto picks? Didn't Embiid (different position, I know) essentially come out of no where to be a top 3 pick?

Maybe guys like Selby, Cliff, etc. just weren't as good as their recruitment ranking indicated?

So why must Bill Self always get the blame? I mean wasn't Wiggins good in college? Wasn't X and Oubre lotto picks? Didn't Embiid (different position, I know) essentially come out of no where to be a top 3 pick?

Maybe guys like Selby, Cliff, etc. just weren't as good as their recruitment ranking indicated?

Oubre wasn't a lotto pick...and came on really late. Self had him glued to the bench for the first half of the season, and outta position. Wiggins also had some up and downs...and could've been better used.

Nothing self is doing is "wrong". He's a good coach. But if you're looking at it from the perspective of a blue chip recruit...Kansas may not be the best option to shine.

Oubre wasn't a lotto pick...and came on really late. Self had him glued to the bench for the first half of the season, and outta position. Wiggins also had some up and downs...and could've been better used.

Nothing self is doing is "wrong". He's a good coach. But if you're looking at it from the perspective of a blue chip recruit...Kansas may not be the best option to shine.
You're right, my bad on Oubre. Picked 15th, not 13th as I originally thought.

But, basically what I always come back to saying is doesn't every school/coach have a situation where their top recruit(s) didn't "work out the best" or the coach didn't "give them the opportunity to shine?"

And then there is also the argument...would you rather be a Ben Simmons? Where your coach sucks and you don't even make the tournament?

becasue he's the coach at a blue blood program most rigidly tied to his system.

he's always going to get the blame.

I could see the future they had planned for Josh from his freshman year to his senior year.  I could also see that they cared about him more as a person than as a basketball player.
laugh.gif

What I meant by that is why does Self (not other coaches) get the blame?

Other coaches have had players who didn't turn out as planned, but Self is the only one to get crushed.

Deyonta Davis leaving after his freshman year at State.  Can't be mad at the kid with this draft being so weak, but it definitely hurts.  Will be Izzo's first One-and-Done since Zach Randolph.

What I meant by that is why does Self (not other coaches) get the blame?

Other coaches have had players who didn't turn out as planned, but Self is the only one to get crushed.
It's not about them not turning out as planned. He doesn't highlight the abilities of wings like Drew or Jackson, even when they're clearly the most talented guys on his team. Still going to run his offense featuring the 2 bigs.

And that's completely revisionist history on Embiid. He was a McDAA, and when I saw him at the JB Classic at Barclay's it was evident that he was the top big in the class potential wise. 

How is Self limited upfront to run that high low offense?  They're getting in Udoka Azuibuike who's massive at like 7 ft 300 lbs to go along with Lucas and Bragg.  Since when is 3 post players not enough?

Back
Top Bottom