The College Basketball Post

There had been highly ranked prospects that Jay Wright got to Nova that just didn't work out from injuries like Jason Fraser having like 8 knee surgeries or something, had him and Curtis Sumpter been healthy they would've been the 2 up front that would've went with that 4 guard lineup of Foye, Ray, Lowry and Nardi that would've had a chance against that Florida team when they met in the elite 8 that year. Dominic Cheek later on was another top prospect that didn't live up to expectations when he got to Nova.

Those Florida teams just had too much in the on the front line when your 5 up front are Noah, Horford, Brewer, Chris Richard and Mareese Speights. Lee Humphrey was a deadeye 3 point shooter so you couldn't just crowd the paint on their bigs. Greg Oden gave all 4 florida bigs that work in that national title game that year tho, was putting fouls on Noah, Horford, Richard and Speights and not any of them could do anything defending him 1 on 1 in the low post

I'm not going to sit here and pretend like we still didn't get good recruiting classes, because we did, even during the "iffy" years.

But we certainly weren't in the mix for the "game changing" Top 5 guys each year like we previously had been.

Was speaking with a couple of K fans the other day and they were saying while they enjoy getting these guys like Zion and RJ, but basically in the long run that they have less fun watching the team than they used to because they don't have a chance to get as attached to guys. You have some exceptions of course, but for the most part, as soon as you get attached to a lot of these guys, they are gone.

Was interesting to hear to be honest, and makes total sense. How do the Duke and UK fans on this board feel about that?

Cha ching
Screenshot_2018-04-03-07-28-24.png

I'm not going to sit here and pretend like we still didn't get good recruiting classes, because we did, even during the "iffy" years.

But we certainly weren't in the mix for the "game changing" Top 5 guys each year like we previously had been.

Was speaking with a couple of K fans the other day and they were saying while they enjoy getting these guys like Zion and RJ, but basically in the long run that they have less fun watching the team than they used to because they don't have a chance to get as attached to guys. You have some exceptions of course, but for the most part, as soon as you get attached to a lot of these guys, they are gone.

Was interesting to hear to be honest, and makes total sense. How do the Duke and UK fans on this board feel about that?

Completely agree. I've been a die-hard Duke fan since 1986 when I was a little kid and met Coach K at the final four in Dallas. Honestly, this year was the first time I can remember where Duke games were not stop down and must watch for me.

I've been a fan since 94...i get emotionally attached to every season which my girl thinks im crazy...i get where some people say they cant get attached to these one and done players but this year's teams ive been attached to more than others and I've been bothered by some teams that were vet teams...so for me it's just a vibe some squads give out

I been a Duke fan since Hurley's freshman season and I'm disgusted

With this year's team in general? Or you are talking about the switch over to going all in on the OADs?

Thanks for the replies. I find this stuff interesting. It's a side of the OAD argument you don't hear much about.

The University of Rhode Island Athletic Director Thorr Bjorn had come to a rough agreement in principle with Rick Pitino to succeed Dan Hurley as the Head Men’s Basketball Coach at the University late last week. But URI President David Dooley shot it down. -- @JasonRileyWDRB

I think K is testing the limits of his coaching abilities and seeing if he can be the one to make "one and done" teams work.

He's already done it once in the 4 years since he went down this road - why not keep shooting your shot?

I think though, we get 2 more years of OAD with K before he builds teams the old fashion way with 3-4 year 4-5 star players. Hell, by then he might not have a choice with all these new options popping up for graduating seniors.

When he starts focusing on stability and long term guys again then the end is near and he’s leaving the successor with a foundation

Back
Top Bottom