The Combat Jack Show Thread

Akademiks should have never came from behind the camera. But I'm glad he did because now others as well as himself can realize what a goober dude is and has been. At first he was semi entertaining with the hip hop gossip back in the day but as time went on he started feeling himself. Dude popped a lot of ish and profited off a lot of drama and turmoil with a smile and smart *** remark. Now that he can't hide behind YouTube he not laughing as much when he gets called out by Joe about not being qualified to speak on certain things and now the fans can see that he is pretty much a lame. He is getting called out by even his fans and he hates it. :lol:

I wish the young man well but I also hope this experience humbles him a little because personally I always thought dude was a square and there's nothing wrong with that but....stay in your lane square,

R.A. The Rugged Man recently launched a podcast. I know Combat Jack has interviewed him before. Here's an interview he did with screenwriter Max Landis (Chronicle, American Ultra, Wrestling Isn't Wrestling), John Landis' son.

Good looks. R.A. is a great conversationalist as well as versed in many subject matters will definely subscribe to this. :smokin

Last edited:
Akademiks should have never came from behind the camera. But I'm glad he did because now others as well as himself can realize what a goober dude is and has been. At first he was semi entertaining with the hip hop gossip back in the day but as time went on he started feeling himself. Dude popped a lot of ish and profited off a lot of drama and turmoil with a smile and smart *** remark. Now that he can't hide behind YouTube he not laughing as much when he gets called out by Joe about not being qualified to speak on certain things and now the fans can see that he is pretty much a lame. He is getting called out by even his fans and he hates it. :lol:

I wish the young man well but I also hope this experience humbles him a little because personally I always thought dude was a square and there's nothing wrong with that but....stay in your lane square,

I was never a big fan, because he had obvious slanted and one sided gossip/news stories. You see how obvious it is with the Joe back and forth.

I was never a big fan, because he had obvious slanted and one sided gossip/news stories. You see how obvious it is with the Joe back and forth.

curious what folk think akademiks isn't qualified to talk about on a hip-hop/pop culture show? square or not, all that is required is a coherent opinion...for me, the one thing that is obvious about the show is that joe doesn't really respect either of the other's opinions. in the episode i've seen thus far, at times when joe has been dead wrong, contradicted himself, or one the others makes a salient point, he just talks louder or condescends/dismisses the point altogether and the other 2 pretty much defer...i think it is the main issue with the show and it is compounded by their weak personalities as well as their forced/lacking rapport, i don't get the feeling that any of them mess with each other on any level, their jokes about/on each other aren't just light jabs and they don't even land...the parts don't really fit to me, but this could just be the growing pains of the show being new.

for better & worse joe is carrying the show right now, i don't think any of them see themselves as being of equal stature, regardless of the subject...that dynamic prolly works on his podcast because it seems like the relationships with the other characters that have been on that podcast are real?

^^

said the same thing in shorter form in another thread

joe doesn't allow for balance and it's not the others fault he just won't shut up to make for an actual back and forth

ak is new to the game and joe isn't making the transition any better

Last edited:
curious what folk think akademiks isn't qualified to talk about on a hip-hop/pop culture show? square or not, all that is required is a coherent opinion...for me, the one thing that is obvious about the show is that joe doesn't really respect either of the other's opinions. in the episode i've seen thus far, at times when joe has been dead wrong, contradicted himself, or one the others makes a salient point, he just talks louder or condescends/dismisses the point altogether and the other 2 pretty much defer...i think it is the main issue with the show and it is compounded by their weak personalities as well as their forced/lacking rapport, i don't get the feeling that any of them mess with each other on any level, their jokes about/on each other aren't just light jabs and they don't even land...the parts don't really fit to me, but this could just be the growing pains of the show being new.

for better & worse joe is carrying the show right now, i don't think any of them see themselves as being of equal stature, regardless of the subject...that dynamic prolly works on his podcast because it seems like the relationships with the other characters that have been on that podcast are real?

Precisely. Well said

That's what Joe does though :lol:
If he thinks he can dominate he does if he is against somebody that don't play that he gets more reserved but slick with it. He's a character for sure and contradicts himself a lot. I think he needs somebody that is on his level knowledge wise but has a sense of humor enough to go blow for blow with him without losing their cool.

As far as Akademiks credentials I just feel dude is fast food media that specializes in recycling gossip and adding his 2 cents. But he has no experience to me in the industry and although he may be a fan of the culture to a degree I don't see him as someone that cares enough or has a passion for it enough to dig deeper than what gives him views. Joe on the other hand as we all know is very passionate be him right or wrong at times and has been through a hell of a lot with Hip-Hop weather people wanna give him his credit or not.

I get they grabbed Akademiks because he is up on the younger pulse of music but like I said I don't think he really even cares about that either beyond the gossip. Just listen to how he talks about artists. Also what does he do besides the gossip/news? I know it's "DJ" Akademiks but I never heard a mix from him?
I agree the two is a bad combo but in a way I think they thought the fireworks between the two would be great for the show. What they did'nt expect was Ak would be more of a weenie than even Complex bargained for. I dunno I'm just another Hip Hop dude with an opinion. :tongue:

Last edited:
Joe x Charlemagne would be awesome.

Joe X Tax would've been even better. Tax at 30....has a much more nuanced view of the culture. Tax "gets it".....so he can counter Joes surface level dismissive commentary on the new generation....while still holding the young dumb **** to tried and true hip hop standards that Joe identifies with.

Tax was getting a show off the ground with Complex too....and him and Budden squashed it. Think thy would've worked well.

Either one of those would have been a much better choice but Tax & Joe's debates would have been entertaining as hell :lol:
CTG would be a great pic but Complex ain't trying to cut that kind of check.

Last edited:
If he thinks he can dominate he does if he is against somebody that don't play that he gets more reserved but slick with it. He's a character for sure and contradicts himself a lot. I think he needs somebody that is on his level knowledge wise but has a sense of humor enough to go blow for blow with him without losing their cool.

As far as Akademiks credentials I just feel dude is fast food media that specializes in recycling gossip and adding his 2 cents. But he has no experience to me in the industry and although he may be a fan of the culture to a degree I don't see him as someone that cares enough or has a passion for it enough to dig deeper than what gives him views. Joe on the other hand as we all know is very passionate be him right or wrong at times and has been through a hell of a lot with Hip-Hop weather people wanna give him his credit or not.

I get they grabbed Akademiks because he is up on the younger pulse of music but like I said I don't think he really even cares about that either beyond the gossip. Just listen to how he talks about artists. Also what does he do besides the gossip/news? I know it's "DJ" Akademiks but I never heard a mix from him?
I agree the two is a bad combo but in a way I think they thought the fireworks between the two would be great for the show. What they did'nt expect was Ak would be more of a weenie than even Complex bargained for. I dunno I'm just another Hip Hop dude with an opinion. :tongue:

i wouldn't disagree about budden being deeper, more experienced & more knowledgeable than akademiks, but for me that isn't really the problem with the show thus far; honestly some of this could be addressed if the nadeska (sp?) chick played a bigger role moderating the 2, keeping them on topic and/or interjecting to call out the flaws in their arguments, she should be doing more that just intro'ing topics...

Joe X Tax would've been even better. Tax at 30....has a much more nuanced view of the culture. Tax "gets it".....so he can counter Joes surface level dismissive commentary on the new generation....while still holding the young dumb **** to tried and true hip hop standards that Joe identifies with.

Tax was getting a show off the ground with Complex too....and him and Budden squashed it. Think thy would've worked well.

tax & budden daily could have been ridiculously entertaining...ctg & budden might have yielded some interesting convos but i feel like they'd be more likely to have similar viewpoints...

He can give his opinion, it doesn't mean I should value, respect him or his opinion. Just like I don't respect Wendy Williams, mediatakeout, tmz or shaderoom. That was his lane. He just did it for youtube and based around hip hop.

What makes him anymore qualified than anyone off the street? Joe could be opposite anyone.

Tori Brixx is a so called DJ also. Should I respect her?

Charlamagne can't even properly debate Schulz.

This

Last edited:
He can give his opinion, it doesn't mean I should value, respect him or his opinion. Just like I don't respect Wendy Williams, mediatakeout, tmz or shaderoom. That was his lane. He just did it for youtube and based around hip hop.

What makes him anymore qualified than anyone off the street? Joe could be opposite anyone.

Tori Brixx is a so called DJ also. Should I respect her?

it would maybe be a better show if the audience respected & valued all the hosts and their opinions but the i actually don't think that is a requisite to the show being good (the blueprints for these type talking head shows is known)...but the hosts do need to have some basic respect for one another's opinions, otherwise you get the dynamic you have now where one person just runs over the others regardless of the strength of the argument(s) involved...and thus far it has been very cringe-inducing far too consistently throughout some of the episodes i've seen; but this is complex so maybe that is the goal?

it could just be that they're in the process of getting used to each other, or this just could be what it is, because true enough, it is maybe the case that it wouldn't matter who budden was opposite of, this is just his personality...but i do think in order for this show to work the 2 people debating either need to have to be cool enough with each other to go at it but actually care about, listen to, and seriously consider the other's argument OR have someone actively moderate and guide the convo(s), right now the show lacks both...

it would maybe be a better show if the audience respected & valued all the hosts and their opinions but the i actually don't think that is a requisite to the show being good (the blueprints for these type talking head shows is known)...but the hosts do need to have some basic respect for one another's opinions, otherwise you get the dynamic you have now where one person just runs over the others regardless of the strength of the argument(s) involved...and thus far it has been very cringe-inducing far too consistently throughout some of the episodes i've seen; but this is complex so maybe that is the goal?

it could just be that they're in the process of getting used to each other, or this just could be what it is, because true enough, it is maybe the case that it wouldn't matter who budden was opposite of, this is just his personality...but i do think in order for this show to work the 2 people debating either need to have to be cool enough with each other to go at it but actually care about, listen to, and seriously consider the other's argument OR have someone actively moderate and guide the convo(s), right now the show lacks both...

You ever watch Stephen A and Skip/Max before?

It's wonderful that Desus & Mero are in LA living their best lives for the week, but I need the art, man.

Everyday Struggle is literally the hip-hop version of Undisputed. Joy is Nadesca and Either one of them could be Shannon/Skip.

Akademics is very dismissive of the substance of an argument and tries to reinforce the surface only many times.

I don't find Lil Duval funny at all.

One of the reasons my attitude about Charlamange has changed. He's the one who got him and Doggie on the phone.(12:00)

It might be guilt about not doing it with Tax and Troy

Last edited:
I don't find Lil Duval funny at all.

One of the reasons my attitude about Charlamange has changed. He's the one who got him and Doggie on the phone.(12:00)

It might be guilt about not doing it with Tax and Troy
I just thought I was too uncool to get it. 

Also nice to get a Joe pod to listen to for tomorrow.

This Adidas track suit Budden is wearing is the ugliest thing I've seen in some time. That **** is hilarious but ****** awful. I need info on it. I'm sure it costs mad money too.

I don't like Joe saying Yachty is wack because his album cover is wack and looking for attention but praise Young Thug last week for wearing a dress on his album cover and doing the same thing.

Last edited:
Dog....the Takeoff disrespect by people who just got really hip to the Migos because of Bad and Bougie :smh:

Akademiks and Budden geeking smh

Dog....the Takeoff disrespect by people who just got really hip to the Migos because of Bad and Bougie :smh:

Akademiks and Budden geeking smh
It kills me b. 1st tape he was numero uno. His chirpin verse and cross the country verse are nothing short of amazing. Since he slowed the flow down they been disrespecting him.

I don't like Joe saying Yachty is wack because his album cover is wack and looking for attention but praise Young Thug last week for wearing a dress on his album cover and doing the same thing.

I like Thugs music but I will never understand the appeal of that moist cover.

what.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom