The Combat Jack Show Thread

Dante Ross episode of Combat Jack is up on Youtube now. I used to go to a lot of Action Bronson shows from 2010-2013 and Ross used to manage him back then. He was always at those shows (at a Bronson show in Flushing, he almost KO'd the soundman for ******* up Bronson's vocals, he was real heated). Haven't finished this episode yet but I wonder if they addressed the split between Ross and Bronson. I know it was on really bad terms.

Never knew he even managed Bronson, that's dope. Dude's history is crazy I'm salty Combat kinda seemed in a rush or maybe had another interview or something.

When he ask how Doom was doing and he said not too good, I had to smh. Doom is easily one of the best in the last decade plus. Hopefully that was hearsay.

Never knew he even managed Bronson, that's dope. Dude's history is crazy I'm salty Combat kinda seemed in a rush or maybe had another interview or something.

When he ask how Doom was doing and he said not too good, I had to smh. Doom is easily one of the best in the last decade plus. Hopefully that was hearsay.

Yeah, Dante was pretty much at any show Bronson did in those days. When they stopped working together, Bronson got on Twitter and alleged that Dante and some other dude tried to jump him but failed and that he should have let Bes take care of him. I was hoping Combat would ask him about that but it didn't come up.

Dante's reputation is very well known and documented. KMD, LOTNS, Hiero, ODB, Brand Nubian, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Beastie Boys, Russ and Lyor. Dude is prolific.

Dante Ross episode of Combat Jack is up on Youtube now. I used to go to a lot of Action Bronson shows from 2010-2013 and Ross used to manage him back then. He was always at those shows (at a Bronson show in Flushing, he almost KO'd the soundman for ******* up Bronson's vocals, he was real heated). Haven't finished this episode yet but I wonder if they addressed the split between Ross and Bronson. I know it was on really bad terms.

He signed KMD (Doom's first group as Zev Love X) to Elektra so I figured he'd know.

Shame if true.

Dante's reputation is very well known and documented. KMD, LOTNS, Hiero, ODB, Brand Nubian, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Beastie Boys, Russ and Lyor. Dude is prolific.

Also worked with De La Soul, Digital Underground, Latifah etc. at Tommy Boy.

"Dante is a scrub"-3 Feet High And Rising
"Stop dissing Dante on records y'all"-The Gas Face

Last edited:
Finna get into this Dante Ross Combat
pimp.gif

Dude story is so multifaceted hoping he got to expound on all the different parts for a bit

Dante a legend for his years at Elektra alone.

If you **** with classic R+B/rare groove, he drops a lot of gems on his IG.
Bruh forreal, it's like exclusively 45's too
laugh.gif

Edit: Dante need another 2 hour joint ASAP 
mean.gif
 crazy

Combat need to follow thru and try to make that Doom **** happen too

Last edited:
Rory was on some ******** today. Joe said several times he's not talking about his R&B acumen, yet he still wanted to talk about it.

Then to say does he get credit for Good Music? Kanye was on Def Jam before, and to prove Joe's point the only really successful artist on Good was Big Sean. So you're giving bags for limited success.

I do think he should get credit for Jeezy though

New GQ article written about the art and they got Al Sharpton on the visual platform? The brand is too strong right now. 

Truly great to see how much these dudes have developed since the Complex days. Really happy for em. 

Rory was on some ******** today. Joe said several times he's not talking about his R&B acumen, yet he still wanted to talk about it.

Then to say does he get credit for Good Music? Kanye was on Def Jam before, and to prove Joe's point the only really successful artist on Good was Big Sean. So you're giving bags for limited success.

I do think he should get credit for Jeezy though
eh
only successful person was big sean???
soooo common
2 chainz
john legend
weren't successful???
wish my name is my name got more credit though
album was GREAT
btw wheres the push t album :nerd:

Ken Montgomery on Pete's :nerd:

Apparently Dallas pissed some people off online being Dallas.

Why are the people who debate the merits of college the ones who didn't attend? It's been proven, college grads make more money in a lifetime. So yeah, you might have been successful, but overall it's better to go to college.

eh
soooo common
2 chainz
john legend
weren't successful???
album was GREAT
btw wheres the push t album :nerd:

2 Chainz is on Def Jam, not Good, and he's never sold over 300

John Legend is on Good, but not on Def Jam

When Common was on Good he wasn't on Def Jam

Last edited:
Was just listening to that college debate. Couldn't help but feel like they were being defensive. You definitely don't need college to be successful, but I think they were missing the point of personal growth on your own in a challenging and nurturing environment.

Book smarts only go so far, but the life experience some people get through college is invaluable.

Ken Montgomery on Pete's
nerd.gif

Apparently Dallas pissed some people off online being Dallas.

Why are the people who debate the merits of college the ones who didn't attend? It's been proven, college grads make more money in a lifetime. So yeah, you might have been successful, but overall it's better to go to college.
eh
soooo common
2 chainz
john legend
weren't successful???
album was GREAT
btw wheres the push t album
nerd.gif

2 Chainz is on Def Jam, not Good, and he's never sold over 300

John Legend is on Good, but not on Def Jam

When Common was on Good he wasn't on Def Jam
Yeah thats because Good wasn't really a "label" like that. It was basically a glorified production company, I.e. "**** with us and we'll get you major distro". Up until 2011 when they partnered with Def Jam, if you signed with Good you still had to get distro from somewhere and then you would drop on Good/(Insert distro).

Big Sean was the first artist to drop on Good/Def Jam under that partnership. I think Sean, Pusha and Teyana Taylor are the only ones that have actually even dropped under that Def Jam deal so far.

Edit: this is irrelevant but 2chainz first solo went gold 

Last edited:
Was just listening to that college debate. Couldn't help but feel like they were being defensive. You definitely don't need college to be successful, but I think they were missing the point of personal growth on your own in a challenging and nurturing environment.

Book smarts only go so far, but the life experience some people get through college is invaluable.

I went away for school and this right here is 100% accurate.

College ain't for everyone, but you can go there and still take away connections for later down the line if you find yourself stuck.

CTG must really feel some type of way about Everyday Struggle. He's passively trying to break the show up it feels like.

College ain't for everyone, but you can go there and still take away connections for later down the line if you find yourself stuck.

CTG must really feel some type of way about Everyday Struggle. He's passively trying to break the show up it feels like.
seemed like he was warning akademiks of geting his brand tarnished by being known for being yelled at by joe.

I think complex initially wanted to use the show to deminish dj ak but the show blew up bigger than what they expected and they had to chill a bit

the fake anger joe has towards ak is way more toned down

ctg is just weaseling his way into content that has nothing to do with him...ironically he's taking the joe budden approach

complex knows they have a hit and people forget they had desus and mero before vice so they'll be going much harder to get joe and ak to stay which why I still stand by the show being direct competition to the vice show despite the different content (which is not all that different imo just a different structure)

seemed like he was warning akademiks of geting his brand tarnished by being known for being yelled at by joe.

Ironic when he had Schulz beside him for two years talking down to him and disparaging black people. I guess he felt like his brand was strong enough to survive it.

I get that impression. I am sure he sees it as competition.

"So you and Puff...were in the Bahamas..wresting on the beach..and JLo was there"

:rofl:

People don't see that part of it. It's bigger than the class room.

That's why I hate people who go to their local college, and then say college is like high school. Yeah it is, because you go to class and come home and still stay with your parents and hang around the same people. Your college experience isn't the same. You remained in your comfort zone.

Last edited:

i would argue that working and not going to college would give someone much more invaluable experiences. The whole college experience is pretty much the outlier years in most people life, meaning that a lot of the things done in college aren't really going to prep you for the real world, but then again i guess it all depends on the upbringing you had prior to going away.

i would argue that working and not going to college would give someone much more invaluable experiences.

MAYBE if you don't go away to college. Like Magic said, if you're just basically going to have a slightly adjusted routine to what you did in HS. And you're going to work and actually move out on your own and not live at home.

Otherwise, I don't see it.

Going away for school is a phenomenal experience on many levels.

Last edited:
MAYBE if you don't go away to college. Like Magic said, if you're just basically going to have a slightly adjusted routine to what you did in HS. And you're going to work and actually move out on your own and not live at home.

Otherwise, I don't see it.

Going away for school is a phenomenal experience on many levels.

Yea i could see that view, i think a lot of this really depends on your lifestyle and where your from. I didn't attend an out of state college, however i have spent quite some time on college campuses across the northeast due to a circle of friends being spread out. nothing i saw or experienced there was anything i didn't already see or experience growing up in NYC.

I would hope people who are going to college are doing it in terms of trying to succeed in a specific career. if the "experience" is the selling point for a young student i would tell them to take that 30-40K in debt and gain experience in the real world.

I didn't go for a career. I went because it was important to my mom that I go because no one in my family had.

There is a level of maturity you gain that bridges high school and "the real world" IMO. Obviously there will be exceptions to the rule and people who are already self sufficient coming out of HS. Who already had jobs, managed their finances, their space etc.

But more often than not, you're going to get help from your parents because they're there. Every day. In college, they're not there every day. So you kind of have to take it up a notch.

I could feel that I came out of college a different person. But I was a little unhinged in NY in HS and probably needed the change of scenery. But I would say even under different circumstances, the end result is the same.

Plus having your own room with no parents and all them females.....priceless.

It's all going to be relative to the person but from what I see around me in relatives/peoples that didn't go or didn't finish, the **** pays off in the end.

I do think there are more opportunities to succeed now without it than in the past. You just need to be sure that if you're going to go that route, you're really about it in terms of achieving that success.

The amount of debt i hear ppl in is terrifying. High school dont really teach you about loans and interest and these kids say yes to every loan possible. Its brazy.

A lot of those people are not in debt because of just their loans. They're in debt because they don't know how to spend responsibly. Same reason people go into too much debt when they get married.

People in general spend their money on dumb ****. I cleared out my student loans in a timely manner. But that's how I operate. Outside of a mortgage, I don't have a drop of debt anywhere.

I'd rather pay some **** off quick than pay interest on anything.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom