The Combat Jack Show Thread

Sports and music isn't comparable. And the fact that everybody has a platform makes it harder.

It is, because it does or it did depend on talent and opportunity. Now talent isn't involved in music.

And making it in the past was putting out an album. You don't even need to put out albums. You can tour and eat off singles, youtube videos and mixtapes.

youtubers are getting record deals

comedians are getting record deals

drug addicts are getting record deals

homeless people are going viral (radio voice guy)

Musical talent is subjective in a way sports isn’t, and is absolutely included in the equation today whether you acknowledge some of the stuff as talent or not.

We can’t pretend it doesn’t take any skill to create a song or melody that sticks with people. A lot of these kids are super talented, it just isn’t tangible the way a super lyricist was because it’s easier to see the technical ability in a lyricist.

I think a lot of us are just out of touch as to what the generation who’s in charge now calls talent, but it’s not any less credible than our era.

Musical talent is subjective in a way sports isn’t, and is absolutely included in the equation today whether you acknowledge some of the stuff as talent or not.

We can’t pretend it doesn’t take any skill to create a song or melody that sticks with people. A lot of these kids are super talented, it just isn’t tangible the way a super lyricist was because it’s easier to see the technical ability in a lyricist.

I think a lot of us are just out of touch as to what the generation who’s in charge now calls talent, but it’s not any less credible than our era.

Sports is also subjective. For some their talent is undeniable(Lebron or Peyton Manning), but for others it's about opportunity, system and intangibles. Only a certain number of players get scouted and then selected. Then they have to make the team. Tom Brady was a sixth round pick and might not have been selected if it wasn't for New England. And would he have the same career if it wasn't for the system?

And that harmonizing **** isn't a talent, kindergarten kids use harmony to memorize. Playing an instrument is a talent. Reading music is a talent. Being able to sing is a talent. Being able to put words together is a talent, because it's poetry.

Just by having access to tools to make music and the open world of the internet to broadcast to makes it easier today.

You still have to peddle your wares though. That's never gonna change.

Just by having access to tools to make music and the open world of the internet to broadcast to makes it easier today.

I think the fact that EVERYBODY has access to this same stuff that you do kinda cancels out a bit of that perceived advantage. **** is ultra competitive

Most rappers in the past didn’t have to build careers and get popping on their own, which is what Push was starting to get into on the Budden Podcast. You just got a deal and the label did everything else as far as branding, direction, marketing, getting you studio time, shows etc.

Now, unless you just got undeniable talent/marketability you gotta do all this **** on your own before a label will even hear you out :lol:

I think the fact that EVERYBODY has access to this same stuff that you do kinda cancels out a bit of that perceived advantage. **** is ultra competitive

Most rappers in the past didn’t have to build careers and get popping on their own, which is what Push was starting to get into on the Budden Podcast. You just got a deal and the label did everything else as far as branding, direction, marketing, getting you studio time, shows etc.

Now, unless you just got undeniable talent/marketability you gotta do all this **** on your own before a label will even hear you out :lol:

This isn't true. What undeniable talent did Fetty Wap have? And why did it only work for one year? His marketability was his one eye?

In the 80's and 90's you might get a deal, but most of the artist on a label weren't even going to ever put out an album. So you weren't being heard. At all. Now you have outlets to be heard. When Joell Ortiz wasn't put out by Aftermath he later had opportunities by doing mixtapes and indie projects. In the 90's your only hope was to get picked up by another label.

Look at how long Jay-Z took to get a deal. It took him nearly ten years to finally get out and a lot of that was his own doing. These dudes don't even make demos anymore, you have dudes who get deals off one song. Look at people like Desiigner and Trinidad.

Plus Joe got in to how Fab had to get past people saying he sounded like Mase. How many copycats do you have now in production and rapping? It doesn't even matter.

It's not even close about how easy it is.

Fetty had hits tho, you can’t say he’s not talented. Panda was dope. All Gold Everything was dope too. Regardless of whether all their careers panned out they were all at least able to make one hit that resonated. And there were one hit wonders in the 90s too.

When I think of a lowered bar today I think of **** like the kid who was rapping wearing a wedding dress. Or the fake 21 savage 22 savage who was getting attention for a little while. Or Bhad Bhabie getting a contract because her Dr. Phil clip went viral. There’s a lot of trash that gets attention because of the person attached to it and their trolling antics rather than the strength of their music, which I don’t think you can say was happening back in the day.

Bruh is stuck on who he thinks does and does not have talent. It's subjective. Plenty people thought Betty had a talent for Melody. His first five singles were hits because of how catchy his melodies were

Last edited:
It is a lot of dudes that are good with the melodies and it's a lot of talentless dudes that get a decent shelf life cuz the bar is just lower now.

I just used Fetty as an example, because he's one of many.

And how many people doing melody, just started doing it? It's easy. Auto tune is a talent too?

Bruh is stuck on who he thinks does and does not have talent. It's subjective. Plenty people thought Betty had a talent for Melody. His first five singles were hits because of how catchy his melodies were

So if Fetty had such a talent for melody why is his career ice cold now? The talent went away?

Why are there so many Kodak, Young Thug and Future clones? Because so many have that talent? How many people were going to sing like Whitney? Dance like James Brown?

Fetty went away because he couldn't top trap queen. Thats no mystery. Happens to plenty of people who make smash hit records like that

Spot on

He didn't need to top Trap Queen.

Jay hasn't topped Hardknock Life. Nas hasn't topped If I Ruled The World.

They're still around.

first off your comparing literally two of the greatest musicians in history to Fetty Wap... Also both of those guys that you named didn't get introduced to the world through #1 pop crossover singles.

Also Fetty does still have a very good ability at making melodic tracks, with that said there's a few reasons why he ca't keep that momentum going

1) His label ****** it up
2) i think being a talented lyricist gives you a larger shelf life than a rapper who specializes in melody, because words may resonate with people more & due to the passive feelings on biting... melody is much easier for other artist to steal then lyrics.

Last edited:
first off your comparing literally two of the greatest musicians in history to Fetty Wap... Also both of those guys that you named didn't get introduced to the world through #1 pop crossover singles.

Also Fetty does still have a very good ability at making melodic tracks, with that said there's a few reasons why he ca't keep that momentum going

1) His label ****ed it up
2) i think being a talented lyricist gives you a larger shelf life than a rapper who specializes in melody, because words may resonate with people more & due to the passive feelings on biting... melody is much easier for other artist to steal then lyrics.
Even if you compare him to people that do melodic trap. Future, Migos, Thug. They are still around cuz they have more talent than Fetty. Designer, Fetty, Makonen (however you spell it) them dudes had little to no talent. That works for a hit or 2, with Fetty it worked a lil longer but it seem like eventually he ran out cuz he ain't that talented.

Even if you compare him to people that do melodic trap. Future, Migos, Thug. They are still around cuz they have more talent than Fetty. Designer, Fetty, Makonen (however you spell it) them dudes had little to no talent. That works for a hit or 2, with Fetty it worked a lil longer but it seem like eventually he ran out cuz he ain't that talented.

Nah Fetty legit had billboard on smash for a year & is still able to put together good melody... he's just stuck in a bad situation. hell 300 is the label that almost flatlined the Migos career.... He's infinitely more talented then Desiigner or Makonnen type's

my way> trap queen

He released way to many singles for no reason. His label must be full of idiots. Imagine of Young Ma had as many singles
as Fetty had. Dirt of your shoulders> hard knock life. Nas picks wack beats so its whatever.

With 5 hits, he could've stretched it out to 3 albums easily. Just bad management overall.

Back
Top Bottom