The Combat Jack Show Thread

Rory mentioned recording two pods in one day, it sounds like they have banked one or two so that they could get a little break soon.

What's funny about the last pod is the same way that Justice cat was acting about Kanye..... they act about Drake :lol: .

and in terms of better albums between Reasonable doubt & MDBTF i think that convo clearly set the line between older hiphop heads & newer ones.

Older cats are more leaned into the complex lyricism, younger cats are more geared towards the instrumentation, melodies and sound.

What's funny about the last pod is the same way that Justice cat was acting about Kanye..... they act about Drake :lol: .

and in terms of better albums between Reasonable doubt & MDBTF i think that convo clearly set the line between older hiphop heads & newer ones.

Older cats are more leaned into the complex lyricism, younger cats are more geared towards the instrumentation, melodies and sound.
I love both, but I think MBDTF gets the edge. Records felt bigger than life on that album, more impact.

Again this goes back to a generational thing tho, more impact is extremely subjective.
I don't think impact is that subjective. In fact Reasonable Doubt didn't have a big impact at all. It wasn't well received or popular when it was released, and mostly underappreciated until Jay became popular in later years. MBDTF dwarfed everything that year, in terms of content and popularity.

Both projects aged very well.

Those albums are so different I don't know what's the point in comparing them. Totally different era's and directions in music.

I don't think impact is that subjective. In fact Reasonable Doubt didn't have a big impact at all. It wasn't well received or popular when it was released, and mostly underappreciated until Jay became popular in later years. MBDTF dwarfed everything that year, in terms of content and popularity.

This is so false and people who weren't from the tri state keep repeating this, because of what he said in a song.

It went gold and Def Jam picked him up and his label. :lol:

And what is the this word impact?

What big impact did MBDTF have in rap? 808's had more impact.

But impact isn't just the first Moment it drops, looking back Reasonable doubt is one of the most impactful albums in hiphop history as is MBDTF. That was the foundational album & history for what many believe is the greatest rapper in History.

also to get a little off subject, i'm glad Joe brought up that moment about first hearing the Intro to WTT. Because i swear when i played it around people it was the same exact feel, Like WTF is..........

I remember vividly my man walking in the crib and after hearing just the beat stated this sounds like it could be off thriller.

MBDTF is my favorite Kanye album but I don't think it's that impactful.

I'm also not a fan of comparing two albums that are 14-15 years apart.

MBDTF is my favorite Kanye album but I don't think it's that impactful.

I'm also not a fan of comparing two albums that are 14-15 years apart.

and someone 27, Justice's age giving his opinion on something that came out when he was 4 is funny.

and I really hate how he gives his opinion as gospel. Like when they were clowning him, when Parks said he liked Graduation better. How are you going to say an opinion is fact.

I was talking to someone about the Eddie Murphy skits, and I said I can't really give an opinion other than my own in present day, because I have no nostalgia for him on SNL and those characters don't really mean anything to me. It's not the same as someone who was staying up at 11:30 to see Mr Rogers Neighborhood. My Eddie nostalgia came from Boomerang and Coming To America. I never even really watched SNL. I grew up on Living Color.

Age matters when discussing certain subjects.

Like I always say people usually are drawn to and have an affinity for what they were listening to or watched during their teenage years. I can normally tell what age range 50, Wayne, Diplomat and Kanye stans are.

Joe has to be sitting back and watching this Rap Radar interview in disgust...

I’m sure him putting his beef aside and rebuilding that Drake relationship was in hopes of landing him on the Pod at some point.

Age plays a huge role, that's why I rarely listen to the podcast. I hate hearing Rory talk about It Was Written, All Eyez On Me or Vol. 1. You weren't there so please don't. I wish Joe would check him on that.

Think my opinion on Rory was done when he started talking about New Edition. He didn't say **** about them until the movie came out, then wanted to speak up. Nah, we're good. I know you didn't grow up in a household that played that and you were like two when "Home Again" came out.

Joe gotta be sick over that interview. The whole pod been kissing his *** for a year or more now hoping for that interview.

The justice dude was annoying. Couldn’t finish the episode.

The 30 minutes on Summer Walker made me listen to something else and then I came back to it.

He kept moving the goal post. It would be the first artist, then the first female artist, then the first artist of her generation...

People have been going to Lauryn shows for two decades dealing often with her being late, not covering the original songs and her voice changing. Her packing shows means little, especially considering she hasn't been out that long.

And I'm like Joe. Justice said New York social anxiety is different, because you have to deal with people. But how was she a stripper with social anxiety? And she's in Georgia where they get naked, and not Virginia where they wear bikinis. She must have been a terrible stripper or did it for a weekend. She better get some poles and twerk or something to put more energy in her performances.

Last edited:
That justice conversation comparing Reasonable Doubt and MBDTF was easily the worst moment on this podcast for me. I couldn't finish it. Justice is cool in small doses. He was doing way too much on todays episode with that topic, and the Summer Walker ****. First time I turned off the pod

Yeah, some people praise him, but I think it's the newness. Soon people will criticize him like everyone else. That style doesn't work with everyone.

I was more disturbed by Justice take on the NBA. Lebron is the basketball stuff, because he's a better person than Jordan. Who even makes that argument or discusses that. So then Kareem and Bill Russell are the best. His argument didn't make sense. Shaq was the best basketball player because he was the biggest and could have done more.

:lol: @ Joe saying Tip is him of Atlanta, Bun B is him of Houston. I get what he was tryna say but nah.

The 2 hours or less podcasts are always their best.

Back
Top Bottom