The GOAT: "I would not have called Larry and Magic and say let’s play together"

SHUGES wrote:

Y'all some funny dudes. "Oh it would have been ok if he went to the Knicks or the Bulls cuz it would have been a challenge".
roll.gif

you really think people would be calling him a gutless, ring chasing, coward of he went to either team?

the worst he would hear is he's all about the money and not about winning. But when he wins 66 games the next year that criticism can't be used anymore. he can win the next 3 chips straight and the criticism of going to MIA in wade's house with another star still lingers. he can't scrub that one away unless he wins one as the "the man" later in his career.

Originally Posted by VanillaFreak13

Originally Posted by AIR J XIII

Think about the fact that Jordan didn't win his first championship til his seventh season at 28! Even then he didn't have a mid range game.

Sure he had the hot game against Portland in the second series, but Jordan didn't have that mid-range jumper/turnaround until the second three peat.

So it wasn't blatant optimism to think that Lebron could have improved his game even beyond what we had seen.  

Im not sure how old you are, but you need to go and watch, or re-watch, those games from 87-93. Mike didnt have a mid-range game? That is absolutely ABSURD! If go and watch young Mike, an Kobe for that matter, sure they may not have often dominated offensively with jumpshots like they would later in their careers, but the development of a jumpshot game, pull-ups/turn arounds/fade aways, was CLEAR.

I have yet to see ANY sign of lebron developing any type of jumpshot game that he could dominate with. It seems like he rarely even shoots from inside of 3 and outside of 7-8 feet, and its not optimistic to think he should have a jumpshot by 25.

Remember when Kobe shot lights out and had 9 straight 40-point games in the 2003 season? 7th season, 24 years old.

Kobe tied Mike's record of 9 straight 40-point games that he did in 86-87, his 3rd season at 23 years old. He also had a different stretch of 3 straight 50-point games that year.

You dont have these stretches without a jumphot game.
Woah. First explain to me when did I diss Kobe in all this?

Yes Jordan had a mid range game. I didn't say it was non-existant. The difference in the jumpshot game between three peats is clearly visible.

You didn't diss Kobe, I used that fact that he had developed a mid-range game in his early 20s to argue that it wouldn't be "blatantly optimistic" for lebron to also have developed one by now. I believed it to be a better example to use since Kobe also came out of HS. Their age and years of NBA experience would line up more.

Think about the fact that Jordan didn't win his first championship til his seventh season at 28! Even then he didn't have a mid range game.

Sure he had the hot game against Portland in the second series, but Jordan didn't have that mid-range jumper/turnaround until the second three peat. 
To me, this looks like you were saying his midrange game was non-existent. I agree, there is definitely a difference between the pre/post retirement jumpshot, but only because he dominated with it for the second run, and it played less of a role for the first. You can watch games from as early as 85-86, he wasn't all inside 6-7 feet and out of 3, like lebron mostly is.

Originally Posted by AIR J XIII

So it wasn't blatant optimism to think that Lebron could have improved his game even beyond what we had seen.  

Im not sure how old you are, but you need to go and watch, or re-watch, those games from 87-93. Mike didnt have a mid-range game? That is absolutely ABSURD! If go and watch young Mike, an Kobe for that matter, sure they may not have often dominated offensively with jumpshots like they would later in their careers, but the development of a jumpshot game, pull-ups/turn arounds/fade aways, was CLEAR.

I have yet to see ANY sign of lebron developing any type of jumpshot game that he could dominate with. It seems like he rarely even shoots from inside of 3 and outside of 7-8 feet, and its not optimistic to think he should have a jumpshot by 25.

Remember when Kobe shot lights out and had 9 straight 40-point games in the 2003 season? 7th season, 24 years old.

Kobe tied Mike's record of 9 straight 40-point games that he did in 86-87, his 3rd season at 23 years old. He also had a different stretch of 3 straight 50-point games that year.

You dont have these stretches without a jumphot game.
Woah. First explain to me when did I diss Kobe in all this?

Yes Jordan had a mid range game. I didn't say it was non-existant. The difference in the jumpshot game between three peats is clearly visible.

You didn't diss Kobe, I used that fact that he had developed a mid-range game in his early 20s to argue that it wouldn't be "blatantly optimistic" for lebron to also have developed one by now. I believed it to be a better example to use since Kobe also came out of HS. Their age and years of NBA experience would line up more.

To me, this looks like you were saying his midrange game was non-existent. I agree, there is definitely a difference between the pre/post retirement jumpshot, but only because he dominated with it for the second run, and it played less of a role for the first. You can watch games from as early as 85-86, he wasn't all inside 6-7 feet and out of 3, like lebron mostly is.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

And I'm loving how nobody has dared challenge the accusation that Barkley jumped to the Rockets to ring-chase with Dream and Drex...
Probably because a trade isn't the same thing as signing a contract as a free agent.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

And I'm loving how nobody has dared challenge the accusation that Barkley jumped to the Rockets to ring-chase with Dream and Drex...
Probably because a trade isn't the same thing as signing a contract as a free agent.

Barkley, Gary Payton, Karl Malone, KG & Ray Allen DID NOT DO THE SAME THING as LeBron anybody who thinks this has only watched basketball for the last 7 years. Thoseguys were far past their prime. They tried to win it as the "man" cause they wanted to beknown as one of the greatest on their own and people respect them for that. But that's whatcompetition is. That's why Jordan is considered the greatest cause he went up against those topplayers and beat them. LeBron is a weak minded person who doesn't believe in climbing themountain like the greats before him. Like I said before he took the easy way out but at the endof the day its his legacy and he can do what he wants. But he won't be up there with MJ, Kobe,Bird and Magic..

Barkley, Gary Payton, Karl Malone, KG & Ray Allen DID NOT DO THE SAME THING as LeBron anybody who thinks this has only watched basketball for the last 7 years. Thoseguys were far past their prime. They tried to win it as the "man" cause they wanted to beknown as one of the greatest on their own and people respect them for that. But that's whatcompetition is. That's why Jordan is considered the greatest cause he went up against those topplayers and beat them. LeBron is a weak minded person who doesn't believe in climbing themountain like the greats before him. Like I said before he took the easy way out but at the endof the day its his legacy and he can do what he wants. But he won't be up there with MJ, Kobe,Bird and Magic..

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

laugh.gif
@ xta

he really does defend his Lebron
laugh.gif

i just picture dude like on that movie Labamba when ritchie valens died and his mom went crazy except for xtra its "no....not my lebron!!!!!"

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

laugh.gif
@ xta

he really does defend his Lebron
laugh.gif

i just picture dude like on that movie Labamba when ritchie valens died and his mom went crazy except for xtra its "no....not my lebron!!!!!"

Originally Posted by Benbeeach

Originally Posted by spsfinest212

1984 NBA Draft
1. Akeem Olajuwon
2. Sam Bowie
3. Michael Jordan
4. Sam Perkins
5. Charles Barkley
16. John Stockton

2003 NBA Draft
1. Lebron James
2. Darko Milicic
3. Carmelo Anthony
4. Chris Bosh
5. Dwayne Wade
6. Chris Kaman
7. Kirk Hinrich
8. T.J. Ford

I'll take the 84 squad of Akeem, Jordan and Chuck please.

I think that's a more fair comparison of the trio.
Don't forget about Stockton
pimp.gif
NEVER forget about Stockton
I didn't. You know I can't forget ol dirty white bastard!

Originally Posted by Benbeeach

Originally Posted by spsfinest212

1984 NBA Draft
1. Akeem Olajuwon
2. Sam Bowie
3. Michael Jordan
4. Sam Perkins
5. Charles Barkley
16. John Stockton

2003 NBA Draft
1. Lebron James
2. Darko Milicic
3. Carmelo Anthony
4. Chris Bosh
5. Dwayne Wade
6. Chris Kaman
7. Kirk Hinrich
8. T.J. Ford

I'll take the 84 squad of Akeem, Jordan and Chuck please.

I think that's a more fair comparison of the trio.
Don't forget about Stockton
pimp.gif
NEVER forget about Stockton
I didn't. You know I can't forget ol dirty white bastard!

Let me start off by saying that I think we should have all realized the moment LeBron made his "Decision" (Joke) it was going to spark up controversy. Or should we go to even before he made his "Decision"? Like when he said he would make his announcement in a one hour special in primetime on national television in Greenwich, Connecticut we should have all known at that point he wasn't going to stay in Cleveland. I mean let's face it, this is a guy who has spent his whole life in the state of Ohio and preaches about "Loyalty" and all this other stuff that makes him sound good; And he's going to make his announcement in Greenwich , CT of all places? I was holding some hope that he would say he was going to stay in Cleveland but I had to realize if he's not going to make this "Decision" anywhere in Ohio, then he's probably not staying in Cleveland so I don't see why anybody is mad at him for that(Unless you live in Ohio and are a Cavs fan). The Cleveland front office did a horrible job at trying to make LeBron stay. I.E. getting Antawn jamison at the trade deadline.....C'mon  Son...You had to see that whole playoff situation coming...the Celtics were the best team in the east regardless of seeding and the Cavs front office knew the east was going to go through either Boston or Orlando...And you pick up Antawn Jamison? That's not going to help you in a playoff series against either team, maybe in the regular season, but not in the playoffs. LeBron saw it coming and thats why he bailed in the playoffs(Not saying he is right for that). 
What you should be mad at him for is robbing all the fans of getting a chance to see possibly what could have been the greatest player that we have ever seen touch a basketball. Mike was right whether anybody likes it or not and I applaud him for saying what he said. MJ was a different breed, well not just MJ you could put a bunch of players in the category of being competitors. LeBron is obviously not big on competition considering he just did the unheard of joining two superstars (Wade is probably the 3rd best player in the league) to try and go ring chasing in the prime of his career. Hmmm, if I'm not mistaken somebody by the name of LeBron James said a couple of years ago "I don't want to goring chasing, as I call it; you know, going to a team that's already prettyestablished and trying to win a ring with them. I want to stay with the Cavsand build a champion." What does he do when the free agency period comes around in 2010? He goes out and joins a Miami Heat team that already has Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 Now you tell me that's not ring chasing then I'm not sure what is. Seems to me like he stuck by this statement more, "I don't want to get to 31 with bad knees and no championship". In a sense he went from being the king to being the prince all on his own, because that is Wade's team.

I'm sorry but that just screams "Easy Way Out" to me. You can bring up the big three in Boston but the fact is that KG and Ray Allen came in trades and none of them were truly in the prime of their careers like Wade, Bosh, and LeBron are. Also, I'm just gonna throw something out there...Did Paul Pierce ever think about leaving Boston as many bad season as they had (Not including the couple playoff year with Antoine Walker)? Didn't think so, and you can say oh well Kobe demanded a trade. The fact is Kobe wasn't traded and the Lakers front office weren't doing enough to put a championship caliber supporting cast around him so it was justified. Like I said nobody should be upset he left Cleveland, but going to the heat to do exactly what he said he didn't want to do, at the same time tarnishing his legacy forever. You also rarely see a team that wins a championship that has 3 stars, you usually see 2 with a really good supporting cast around them. Charles Barkley said some good things also "If I was 25, I would tryto win it by myself . . . not technically, by myself, but being "theguy." . . . LeBron is never going to be "the guy."

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Basically in an hour long special he told us, he will never be or be better then MJ or Kobe or Magic, never be considered one of the best ever, nor does he want any of that. He was blessed with all the talent in the world yet he wants to play second fiddle to someone else and try and play an all star game every night. It's like going on NBA 2k or Live and doing a fantasy draft and making this team, only it's real. It really happened. [/font]
indifferent.gif
... i'm not being sour I'm just speaking the truth and how I feel about the situation. Like I said this way before Jordan came out and said this.  I talked to a few co-workers about it after he made his "Decision". And everybody gave me hell for saying it. Oh it's the greatest thing ever, LeBron is still the king. But then MJ says it and they are like yo you were right man what LeBron did was pretty (and with lack for a better word) GAY.

I'm a fan of LeBron as a player, and his decision kind of made me lose respect for him because I thought he was more of a competitor and cut from the same cloth as the all time greats. Truth is Jordan, Magic, Bird, or even Kobe for that matter would not have made the decision that LeBron made and went and joined Wade and Bosh. I'm not on here trying to bash LeBron but this is just how I feel about the situation and I feel as me being an athlete myself (Although I would never be in the NBA to make the desicion) I'm as competitive as they come and there is no chance if I was in LeBron's shoes I would have chose Miami, But we all have to live with it no matter what MJ, Magic, or Barkley says. Sorry this is so long but I just had to get my point across.

Let me start off by saying that I think we should have all realized the moment LeBron made his "Decision" (Joke) it was going to spark up controversy. Or should we go to even before he made his "Decision"? Like when he said he would make his announcement in a one hour special in primetime on national television in Greenwich, Connecticut we should have all known at that point he wasn't going to stay in Cleveland. I mean let's face it, this is a guy who has spent his whole life in the state of Ohio and preaches about "Loyalty" and all this other stuff that makes him sound good; And he's going to make his announcement in Greenwich , CT of all places? I was holding some hope that he would say he was going to stay in Cleveland but I had to realize if he's not going to make this "Decision" anywhere in Ohio, then he's probably not staying in Cleveland so I don't see why anybody is mad at him for that(Unless you live in Ohio and are a Cavs fan). The Cleveland front office did a horrible job at trying to make LeBron stay. I.E. getting Antawn jamison at the trade deadline.....C'mon  Son...You had to see that whole playoff situation coming...the Celtics were the best team in the east regardless of seeding and the Cavs front office knew the east was going to go through either Boston or Orlando...And you pick up Antawn Jamison? That's not going to help you in a playoff series against either team, maybe in the regular season, but not in the playoffs. LeBron saw it coming and thats why he bailed in the playoffs(Not saying he is right for that). 
What you should be mad at him for is robbing all the fans of getting a chance to see possibly what could have been the greatest player that we have ever seen touch a basketball. Mike was right whether anybody likes it or not and I applaud him for saying what he said. MJ was a different breed, well not just MJ you could put a bunch of players in the category of being competitors. LeBron is obviously not big on competition considering he just did the unheard of joining two superstars (Wade is probably the 3rd best player in the league) to try and go ring chasing in the prime of his career. Hmmm, if I'm not mistaken somebody by the name of LeBron James said a couple of years ago "I don't want to goring chasing, as I call it; you know, going to a team that's already prettyestablished and trying to win a ring with them. I want to stay with the Cavsand build a champion." What does he do when the free agency period comes around in 2010? He goes out and joins a Miami Heat team that already has Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 Now you tell me that's not ring chasing then I'm not sure what is. Seems to me like he stuck by this statement more, "I don't want to get to 31 with bad knees and no championship". In a sense he went from being the king to being the prince all on his own, because that is Wade's team.

I'm sorry but that just screams "Easy Way Out" to me. You can bring up the big three in Boston but the fact is that KG and Ray Allen came in trades and none of them were truly in the prime of their careers like Wade, Bosh, and LeBron are. Also, I'm just gonna throw something out there...Did Paul Pierce ever think about leaving Boston as many bad season as they had (Not including the couple playoff year with Antoine Walker)? Didn't think so, and you can say oh well Kobe demanded a trade. The fact is Kobe wasn't traded and the Lakers front office weren't doing enough to put a championship caliber supporting cast around him so it was justified. Like I said nobody should be upset he left Cleveland, but going to the heat to do exactly what he said he didn't want to do, at the same time tarnishing his legacy forever. You also rarely see a team that wins a championship that has 3 stars, you usually see 2 with a really good supporting cast around them. Charles Barkley said some good things also "If I was 25, I would tryto win it by myself . . . not technically, by myself, but being "theguy." . . . LeBron is never going to be "the guy."

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Basically in an hour long special he told us, he will never be or be better then MJ or Kobe or Magic, never be considered one of the best ever, nor does he want any of that. He was blessed with all the talent in the world yet he wants to play second fiddle to someone else and try and play an all star game every night. It's like going on NBA 2k or Live and doing a fantasy draft and making this team, only it's real. It really happened. [/font]
indifferent.gif
... i'm not being sour I'm just speaking the truth and how I feel about the situation. Like I said this way before Jordan came out and said this.  I talked to a few co-workers about it after he made his "Decision". And everybody gave me hell for saying it. Oh it's the greatest thing ever, LeBron is still the king. But then MJ says it and they are like yo you were right man what LeBron did was pretty (and with lack for a better word) GAY.

I'm a fan of LeBron as a player, and his decision kind of made me lose respect for him because I thought he was more of a competitor and cut from the same cloth as the all time greats. Truth is Jordan, Magic, Bird, or even Kobe for that matter would not have made the decision that LeBron made and went and joined Wade and Bosh. I'm not on here trying to bash LeBron but this is just how I feel about the situation and I feel as me being an athlete myself (Although I would never be in the NBA to make the desicion) I'm as competitive as they come and there is no chance if I was in LeBron's shoes I would have chose Miami, But we all have to live with it no matter what MJ, Magic, or Barkley says. Sorry this is so long but I just had to get my point across.

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Why are you acting like almost every other NBA player hasn't been coddled their whole life?

nobody is acting like anything but when you try and get sympathy for lebron by using the "projects" THEN state the above sentence it makes you look like a total %@+. so because dude pointed out lebron was getting hummers and other perks you change your story about the "projects" and whine like a *!!$+ by saying "well every other player gets pampered too"??

please. lemme know what struggles come with a hummer. the !!*$ outta here
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Why are you acting like almost every other NBA player hasn't been coddled their whole life?

nobody is acting like anything but when you try and get sympathy for lebron by using the "projects" THEN state the above sentence it makes you look like a total %@+. so because dude pointed out lebron was getting hummers and other perks you change your story about the "projects" and whine like a *!!$+ by saying "well every other player gets pampered too"??

please. lemme know what struggles come with a hummer. the !!*$ outta here
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by mYToAsterspeak

I think most of the people who defend Bron or think it was a good decision, don't value greatness. The journey to become great is different from just being great. A man that strives to become great, who sacrifices to become great, who wills himself to greatness and values the steps it takes to become great is held in higher regard than the man who is just great. It's just like some guy who inherited a large fortune. Sure he will be celebrated and patted on the back for inheriting that fortune and being rich, but the opposite man who puts in the hours, the sacrifice, the fortitude, and will, will be held in higher regard than that other man.

LeBron stood on the doorstep of greatness, knocked on the door, the door swung open. LeBron looked inside and seen what the path to greatness would require, homie turned around and said, nah I just rather be great, greatNESS is too much work. It's that simple
Props on this

Originally Posted by mYToAsterspeak

I think most of the people who defend Bron or think it was a good decision, don't value greatness. The journey to become great is different from just being great. A man that strives to become great, who sacrifices to become great, who wills himself to greatness and values the steps it takes to become great is held in higher regard than the man who is just great. It's just like some guy who inherited a large fortune. Sure he will be celebrated and patted on the back for inheriting that fortune and being rich, but the opposite man who puts in the hours, the sacrifice, the fortitude, and will, will be held in higher regard than that other man.

LeBron stood on the doorstep of greatness, knocked on the door, the door swung open. LeBron looked inside and seen what the path to greatness would require, homie turned around and said, nah I just rather be great, greatNESS is too much work. It's that simple
Props on this

Wow this thread still going?

Lebron grew up in Ohio, so no he did not have it easy his whole life. He wasn't a phenom growing up w/o a father either.

I remember when Bron couldn't shoot a 3 for %%%@. Now he's extended his range and hits them regularly. How does dude not work hard? How does shooting come naturally for ANYONE?

If anything LeBron wants it easy cuz he's had a hard life and has worked hard and doesn't want to anymore. Dude simply couldn't take the pressure and shoulder taking a crappy team to a championship and he probably feels after what it took for him to get where he is he doesn't need to do that. He just not built like that.

Wow this thread still going?

Lebron grew up in Ohio, so no he did not have it easy his whole life. He wasn't a phenom growing up w/o a father either.

I remember when Bron couldn't shoot a 3 for %%%@. Now he's extended his range and hits them regularly. How does dude not work hard? How does shooting come naturally for ANYONE?

If anything LeBron wants it easy cuz he's had a hard life and has worked hard and doesn't want to anymore. Dude simply couldn't take the pressure and shoulder taking a crappy team to a championship and he probably feels after what it took for him to get where he is he doesn't need to do that. He just not built like that.

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

He's simply saying he wouldn't have teamed up with two other elite talents because they're his friends. He didn't even touch on the leaving the city portion of it but I'm sure that had to contribute into his thinking as well.

Scottie is better than anybody LeBron has played with at this point in his career and it's not even close.

For what he did, Dennis Rodman was also infinitely better (7 rebounding titles consecutive), hell even Horace Grant in his role is better than anyone LeBron has had to fill the same role.

It's not even close to parallel, not to mention Wade and certainly Bosh =/= Magic or Larry.

People who keep claiming Mike and Larry, "did it by themselves," are doing a HUGE disservice to the MULTIPLE other Hall of Fame teammates both of those guys had

This is MJ's "Robin," and keep in mind he did that while still playing with MJ for the most part (to prevent people from bringing up the corpse of Shaq as if he compares)
* 6x NBA Champion (1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998)
* 7x NBA All-Star (1990, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997)
* 1× NBA All-Star Game MVP (1994)
* 3× All-NBA First Team Selection (1994–1996)
* 2× All-NBA Second Team Selection (1992, 1997)
* 2× All-NBA Third Team Selection (1993, 1998)
* 8× NBA All-Defensive First Team Selection (1992–1999)
* 2× NBA All-Defensive Second Team Selection (1991, 2000)
* Chicago Bulls #33 Retired
* NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team

Who is the best player LeBron has has in Cleveland? Well, only Big Z and Zydraunus Illgauskas made All Star teams alongside Bron so,
Big Z
2× NBA All-Star (2003, 2005)
NBA All-Rookie First Team (1998)

Mo Gotti Williams
* (1x) NBA All-Star (2009)

And that asterisk is to denote he was a replacement, of a replacement, of a replacement.

I must have missed the part where Scottie played with Jordan from a day one or the part where Scottie Pippen was an all star from the day he stepped on the floor.

Take Jordan's first 7 years and Lebron first 7 years and they both played with trash.

LOL!

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

He's simply saying he wouldn't have teamed up with two other elite talents because they're his friends. He didn't even touch on the leaving the city portion of it but I'm sure that had to contribute into his thinking as well.

Scottie is better than anybody LeBron has played with at this point in his career and it's not even close.

For what he did, Dennis Rodman was also infinitely better (7 rebounding titles consecutive), hell even Horace Grant in his role is better than anyone LeBron has had to fill the same role.

It's not even close to parallel, not to mention Wade and certainly Bosh =/= Magic or Larry.

People who keep claiming Mike and Larry, "did it by themselves," are doing a HUGE disservice to the MULTIPLE other Hall of Fame teammates both of those guys had

This is MJ's "Robin," and keep in mind he did that while still playing with MJ for the most part (to prevent people from bringing up the corpse of Shaq as if he compares)
* 6x NBA Champion (1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998)
* 7x NBA All-Star (1990, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997)
* 1× NBA All-Star Game MVP (1994)
* 3× All-NBA First Team Selection (1994–1996)
* 2× All-NBA Second Team Selection (1992, 1997)
* 2× All-NBA Third Team Selection (1993, 1998)
* 8× NBA All-Defensive First Team Selection (1992–1999)
* 2× NBA All-Defensive Second Team Selection (1991, 2000)
* Chicago Bulls #33 Retired
* NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team

Who is the best player LeBron has has in Cleveland? Well, only Big Z and Zydraunus Illgauskas made All Star teams alongside Bron so,
Big Z
2× NBA All-Star (2003, 2005)
NBA All-Rookie First Team (1998)

Mo Gotti Williams
* (1x) NBA All-Star (2009)

And that asterisk is to denote he was a replacement, of a replacement, of a replacement.

I must have missed the part where Scottie played with Jordan from a day one or the part where Scottie Pippen was an all star from the day he stepped on the floor.

Take Jordan's first 7 years and Lebron first 7 years and they both played with trash.

LOL!

Back
Top Bottom