The hardest job in America. vol. I'm a black man in America

Originally Posted by TruthGetsBusy

Is being a black man the hardest job in America? I honestly think so.  And before anybody gets all riled up I know that every other race and gender has problems too.  Not every white person was born rich and not every black person is from the hood.  I know that but I'm talking on average. 

And let me get all the basic, simple minded responses out the way.

Great you "didn't read"
Yes this is another race thread. 
Yes slavery happened and no I'm not going to get over it. 
Yes WSHH and BET suck.

I feel like we are led to worry about all the wrong things in life.  Its not even our fault half the time its just how we get raised.  Then once we hit the real world we're not prepared AND we have to overcome and battle other obstacles.  You can say we are at fault for aspiring to be athletes and entertainers right?  But why aren't the parents leading the kids in the direction of actual careers? Because the damn parents are just happy to have a job and support a family.  They can't tell a kid to start building a resume and prepare them for college when they never went through that experience.  They just want their kid to be happy and if football or singing makes them happy so be it. 

The problem is that cycle is killing us.  We really need more professionals to get out here and show us how its done at a young age.  We are at a real disadvantage when it comes to networking.  And lets just say we do get a good job right.  Can we recommend our friends to get hired too? Naw you can't be the black guy that brings the other black guys to the party.  You just gotta be happy you got invited.  It's really crazy out here.  

I could go on for days about different problems but I'd like to hear from ya'll. 
I enjoy WSHH so I stopped reading there

The Black Community needs to become a community again.

People like Lil' Wayne need to start talking about a need for Blacks to get together and form some sort of self sustaining structure/network of businesses and schools.

And we need to get rid of the Black church. Especially in the South. I honestly feel like it's played out.

I'm not Muslim or anything like that, but Blacks are WAY too into Christianity, or even religion in general.

My family has managed to do pretty well for itself, and my grandfather and uncles will tell you that the Black church is just BS that ramped up the rhetoric in the '70s and '80s out of a general lack of direction in the Black Community, and things in the Church are the way they are now b/c alot of the hustlers who made it out in the 60's and 70's got old and started buying and investing in churches.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Is being a black man the hardest job in America? I honestly think so.  And before anybody gets all riled up I know that every other race and gender has problems too.  Not every white person was born rich and not every black person is from the hood.  I know that but I'm talking on average. 

Great you "didn't read"
Yes WSHH and BET suck.

I feel like we are led to worry about all the wrong things in life.  Its not even our fault half the time its just how we get raised.  Then once we hit the real world we're not prepared AND we have to overcome and battle other obstacles.  You can say we are at fault for aspiring to be athletes and entertainers right?  But why aren't the parents leading the kids in the direction of actual careers? Because the damn parents are just happy to have a job and support a family.  They can't tell a kid to start building a resume and prepare them for college when they never went through that experience.  They just want their kid to be happy and if football or singing makes them happy so be it. 

The problem is that cycle is killing us.  We really need more professionals to get out here and show us how its done at a young age.  We are at a real disadvantage when it comes to networking.  And lets just say we do get a good job right.  Can we recommend our friends to get hired too? Naw you can't be the black guy that brings the other black guys to the party.  You just gotta be happy you got invited.  It's really crazy out here.  

I could go on for days about different problems but I'd like to hear from ya'll. 
Chris Rock said it best in his last stand up. In a nutshell he gave the example of where he lived and how he lived next to a dentist. Chris Rock...Arguably one of the most recognizable black men in the planet, lives next to a (white) dentist.
More professionals is such a vague term though. I urge NT, to seperate from perscribing the source of the problem, and focus more on the solution aspect. All too often these threads are filled with arguments of semantics and how something REALLY happened ect......Who cares? Am I the only one out here who seems more motivated by finding rational answers, than the actual reason the problems exist in the first place?

I doubt the answer to the problem is as simple as more professionals, and the source as simple as parenthood.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@ the chris rock reference
"you know what a black dentist would have to do in order to live in my neighborhood............he'd have to invent teeth"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Great you "didn't read"
Yes WSHH and BET suck.

Chris Rock said it best in his last stand up. In a nutshell he gave the example of where he lived and how he lived next to a dentist. Chris Rock...Arguably one of the most recognizable black men in the planet, lives next to a (white) dentist.
More professionals is such a vague term though. I urge NT, to seperate from perscribing the source of the problem, and focus more on the solution aspect. All too often these threads are filled with arguments of semantics and how something REALLY happened ect......Who cares? Am I the only one out here who seems more motivated by finding rational answers, than the actual reason the problems exist in the first place?

I doubt the answer to the problem is as simple as more professionals, and the source as simple as parenthood.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@ the chris rock reference
"you know what a black dentist would have to do in order to live in my neighborhood............he'd have to invent teeth"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Great you "didn't read"
Yes WSHH and BET suck.

No I agree the problem is deeper and just a simple answer. But my point was we need more "real" role models.  If a kid meets a real estate agent, dentist, graphic designer then he can relate and actually understand what it takes.  How many kids go into college undecided and then drop out?  Too many.  How many of us even know a dentist, doctor, lawyer?  That really makes a difference.  The same way kids in Coney Island dream of making it to the league because they actually seen Marbury, Bassy, and Lance Stephenson.

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

Stop listening to Rap/hip-hop/etc

Real talk... you've got America's most successful black men STILL rapping about gangster %%@$. What do you think kids are gonna do? The root of the entire problem is that lifestyle in the hood is almost idolized. Being "about that life" etc.

You really think the next generation of black American's would have it so hard if instead of listening to Birdman you were listening to Arcade Fire.

I'm also going to acknowledge the fact I'm way off... but I have a point
Sit your dumb +$+ down. /Martin

Great you "didn't read"
Yes WSHH and BET suck.

No I agree the problem is deeper and just a simple answer. But my point was we need more "real" role models.  If a kid meets a real estate agent, dentist, graphic designer then he can relate and actually understand what it takes.  How many kids go into college undecided and then drop out?  Too many.  How many of us even know a dentist, doctor, lawyer?  That really makes a difference.  The same way kids in Coney Island dream of making it to the league because they actually seen Marbury, Bassy, and Lance Stephenson.

Real talk... you've got America's most successful black men STILL rapping about gangster %%@$. What do you think kids are gonna do? The root of the entire problem is that lifestyle in the hood is almost idolized. Being "about that life" etc.

You really think the next generation of black American's would have it so hard if instead of listening to Birdman you were listening to Arcade Fire.

Mos Def Truth, and I agree that the family must be a core component, but there is something less tangible that seems to be the problem. A kind of lingering slave mentality if you will. During reconstruction following the end of slavery, slaves were literally looking at the masters like, what you mean I'm free? 
While the new age dilemma might not be so visual as it once was, there still is a lot of that. Blacks are brought into the world, and kept in secluded areas (ghettos) rarely leave the city they grew up in (Plantation) and when asked to deal with reality (Job, family, raising kids ect...) Are just ill equipped. And when we do make it through college, we still gotta ask the white man for a job (Masta) 

I have said it once, I will say it again, we need an economic model like the jews employed in the last century. Lets not forget that 60 years ago it was Jews in the ghettos, not blacks.

Mos Def Truth, and I agree that the family must be a core component, but there is something less tangible that seems to be the problem. A kind of lingering slave mentality if you will. During reconstruction following the end of slavery, slaves were literally looking at the masters like, what you mean I'm free? 
While the new age dilemma might not be so visual as it once was, there still is a lot of that. Blacks are brought into the world, and kept in secluded areas (ghettos) rarely leave the city they grew up in (Plantation) and when asked to deal with reality (Job, family, raising kids ect...) Are just ill equipped. And when we do make it through college, we still gotta ask the white man for a job (Masta) 

I have said it once, I will say it again, we need an economic model like the jews employed in the last century. Lets not forget that 60 years ago it was Jews in the ghettos, not blacks.

At least you can go back to your country/continent....point me in the direction of Caucasia. Therefore white people have it the worst /thread

At least you can go back to your country/continent....point me in the direction of Caucasia. Therefore white people have it the worst /thread

Hm. well unpopular opinion coming up.
The black church isn't a problem.
Parenting is the problem.
You don't really need black "role models" the model should be in your home.
AA Parents should be more involved in their children's education and school system.
Notice how I said parents, single parent households can't raise children like 2 parents can.
A strong family and a strong work ethic would definitely start the reform in the AA community.

AA Parents should be more involved in their children's education and school system.
Notice how I said parents, single parent households can't raise children like 2 parents can.
A strong family and a strong work ethic would definitely start the reform in the AA community.

Originally Posted by blckmagc88

We all from Africa fam.  /Thread

Originally Posted by blckmagc88

We all from Africa fam.  /Thread

I feel where your coming from OP. someone has to break this never ending cycle

I feel where your coming from OP. someone has to break this never ending cycle

Read OPs post and then watch any currently popular music video by a hiphop superstar ON SILENT.
Observe. 

Then read the lyrics separately...

This is what kids are striving for. Cadillacs, %%%+, popping bottles, degrading females in general, obtaining superficial items like brand label fashion or sportcars so that they will feel accepted. 

Striving for material goods isn't abnormal. The methods at which these figures are flaunting around IS.

Read OPs post and then watch any currently popular music video by a hiphop superstar ON SILENT.
Observe. 

Then read the lyrics separately...

This is what kids are striving for. Cadillacs, %%%+, popping bottles, degrading females in general, obtaining superficial items like brand label fashion or sportcars so that they will feel accepted. 

Striving for material goods isn't abnormal. The methods at which these figures are flaunting around IS.

Originally Posted by NubianDisaster

The thing is how can you except people who don't know any better to know better. 

You got 40 year old grandmothers raising kids. You got 3-4 generations that never left the same block.  Then what about the 2 parent home that really does the right things but they live in an area where the kids are exposed to the crime, drugs, and ignorance anyways.  Of course the parents are responsible but its more than that.  Alot of good parents can't be as involved as they would like to be.  Remember time is a luxury.  

Originally Posted by NubianDisaster

The thing is how can you except people who don't know any better to know better. 

You got 40 year old grandmothers raising kids. You got 3-4 generations that never left the same block.  Then what about the 2 parent home that really does the right things but they live in an area where the kids are exposed to the crime, drugs, and ignorance anyways.  Of course the parents are responsible but its more than that.  Alot of good parents can't be as involved as they would like to be.  Remember time is a luxury.  

It is hard, try being the ONLY Black Man at your job its even worse when some ignant **%* happens in the world involving a black man and everyone looks at you for insight.

I just hate when we are all grouped together, when one person does something dumb, white men have down just as many crimes as the black man, but I dont see anyone clutching their purses when a white person walks by them or riding in your neighborhood

Back
Top Bottom