The Invincible Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to the NFL for a second, and maybe someone can aware me...but why is there such a push from the NFL to expand their game to Europe? Why not try countries like Mexico or Canada? Might be an unpopular opinion, but I think the Cowboys/Chargers should each have one "away" game scheduled somewhere in Mexico. Or have more teams play a game in Canada. I know the Bills sometimes play in Toronto, but it would be dope to see the Seahawks have a game in Vancouver or something along those lines. Unless the #'s say otherwise, why force-feed the game over in England?

this is why NBA playoffs are pointless until the Conference Finals but I am also a jaded Sixers fan so

the NHL playoffs are great because #8 seeds actually have a chance
Love me some NHL playoffs. Best tournament in all of sports outside of the Champions League.

Back to the NFL for a second, and maybe someone can aware me...but why is there such a push from the NFL to expand their game to Europe? Why not try countries like Mexico or Canada? Might be an unpopular opinion, but I think the Cowboys/Chargers should each have one "away" game scheduled somewhere in Mexico. Or have more teams play a game in Canada. I know the Bills sometimes play in Toronto, but it would be dope to see the Seahawks have a game in Vancouver or something along those lines. Unless the #'s say otherwise, why force-feed the game over in England?

Been wondering this as well, ANOTHER game overseas this weekend :x

A Cowboys game in Mexico would be ridiculous (In a good way).  

Aren't they branching out to other countries? I'm assuming the numbers are real big from the London moves. They're trying for 6 games there next year. They're talking China and Mexico now too.

Wasn't there an NFL Europe league or something like that? Was it World Football? Damn I'm getting old. Can't remember **** anymore

Been wondering this as well, ANOTHER game overseas this weekend
sick.gif
had no clue they had so many this year, until I saw the promo while catching the ending of the skins/lions game
sick.gif

I dunnio, league trying too much to be like the NBA.. not realizing the oversaturation is what is really REALLy killing ratings (the other stuff is just the dressing on the turd salad)..

but they had NFL Europe before, that shhh failed..

maybe they figure that because of rugby, the folks over that way might have an inclination for the sport.. but I think they should go Canada 1st and then consider a reachable location down south 

man good discussion here on the other sports and the NFL.

NBA playoffs the last two years (conference finals and finals) have definitely grown one me. i don't know if it was cause of rooting against Curry or hoping Bron can do it for Cleveland, but **** was lit. it was fun and has me looking forward to it again this spring/summer. the regular season though? easy pass. i don't think it'll ever encroach on the NFL. if the NFL starts to feel their wallets lighten with the drop in ratings, they will make Goodell act. they have to. i can't see them giving up their hold on American sports.

NHL playoffs are king though. intensity level, pace, and unpredictability is unmatched. i know it'll never touch the rest, but it's easily my favorite sport. i wish they'd do a better job marketing their stars.

jjs07 jjs07 as much as I love Subban, he can't be the guy the grow the sport in America. has to be an American player. unfortunately, most NHL dudes are just regular joe's off the ice. they're not flashy and don't have that "superstar athlete" feel off the ice. they're dudes that would be cool to go have a beer with, but not like a dude that's gonna be out in the spot light and ****, if that makes sense. we'll see if Auston Matthews can be that dude.

The more you look into things, you realize just how stupid the folks who run the league are.

Cowboys/Chargers have a LARGE Hispanic fan base, so why not have one game over the border?

Same can be said about the Canadian fans who enjoy NFL football (Bills/Seahawks.)

England? 7 hours travel for an EAST COAST team? 10+ for everyone else??? Psshhhtt....stupid.

I went to my first ever hockey game last season. Panthers vs. Islanders in the playoffs, it was LIT. One of the most fun sporting events I've ever been to.

The weekly format of the NFL makes it easy to follow for people with small attention spans. NBA regular season is full of so many games, it's hard for casual fans to keep up with teams, especially with the way the NBA handles their broadcast schedule.

The NFL will show a terrible game on national TV, NBA can't afford to do that.

man good discussion here on the other sports and the NFL.

NBA playoffs the last two years (conference finals and finals) have definitely grown one me. i don't know if it was cause of rooting against Curry or hoping Bron can do it for Cleveland, but **** was lit. it was fun and has me looking forward to it again this spring/summer. the regular season though? easy pass. i don't think it'll ever encroach on the NFL. if the NFL starts to feel their wallets lighten with the drop in ratings, they will make Goodell act. they have to. i can't see them giving up their hold on American sports.

NHL playoffs are king though. intensity level, pace, and unpredictability is unmatched. i know it'll never touch the rest, but it's easily my favorite sport. i wish they'd do a better job marketing their stars.

jjs07 jjs07 as much as I love Subban, he can't be the guy the grow the sport in America. has to be an American player. unfortunately, most NHL dudes are just regular joe's off the ice. they're not flashy and don't have that "superstar athlete" feel off the ice. they're dudes that would be cool to go have a beer with, but not like a dude that's gonna be out in the spot light and ****, if that makes sense. we'll see if Auston Matthews can be that dude.

If only Jeremy Roenick came along in today's NHL.

The league, unfortunately, embraces the "boring" superstar. On top of it all, there's also a bit of xenophobia from the Canadian media towards Europeans who excel at the game. There are a lot of problems with this....

Auston Matthews, being an American (and Mexican), playing in an original 6 city (Toronto) is huge. Kid has the skill, for sure. However, let's see just how marketable he is as time goes by.

NHL will need a gold medal winning goal from Matthews vs. Canada for that to happen :lol: But the league is lukewarm on sending players to the next Olympic games, so who knows? :lol:

CFL is bigger than the NFL in Canada.

They've been trying to do 18 games but players won't agree to it.

Black Mirror is that good? :nerd:

Might have to start it after I finish Luke Cage

black mirror > luke cage

get on black mirror nicholas. im sure you will enjoy it.

You must be one of those guys that believes professional athletes shouldn't have friends on other teams.

Nah, but the circle jerk has to stop.

View media item 2209679

Like I don't want this with my sports.

The 2017 opponents that melo and the New York Knicks will lose to

fixed

i think because europe has a better economy than canada and mexico. nfl wants to grow in a country with money.

Canada has their own league, but I agree that having Texas and Cali teams play in Mexico would generate big bucks.

CFL is bigger than the NFL in Canada.

They've been trying to do 18 games but players won't agree to it.

Ehh wouldn't say that at all :lol:,ratings and attendance have been going down over the last few years while the NFL is still getting more viewers each game. There's definitely more demand up north than anywhere across the ocean though :lol:

Last edited:
18 games would be fine with me if they shortened the preseason, but 16 feels good. Don't want my NFL going past the SB in Feb.

Feb/March CBB :smokin

Canada has their own league, but I agree that having Texas and Cali teams play in Mexico would generate big bucks.

but would probably generate bigger bucks in europe. soccer is king in europe. nfl probably thinks 'what if we had those die hards following football as they do soccer?'. probably never happening but nfl will still give it a try.

18 games would be fine with me if they shortened the preseason, but 16 feels good. Don't want my NFL going past the SB in Feb.

Feb/March CBB :smokin

yeah i'm a huge fan of the current set up. i would actually prefer killing 1 preseason game, keeping 16 regular season games, and keeping the current playoff format. give them an extra week of training camp instead of the 1 preseason game. i love having football end first week of feb. right in time for the stretch run in the NHL and CBB :lol:

but would probably generate bigger bucks in europe. soccer is king in europe. nfl probably thinks 'what if we had those die hards following football as they do soccer?'. probably never happening but nfl will still give it a try.

I think it's a flawed approach considering most Europeans probably don't know what the hell is going on half the time during an American football match. The NFL actually has a pretty large following in Mexico.

Canada has their own league
even more reason to demonstrate that football is viable option there.. start with a handful of games per year.. then target a market like Toronto or Ontario

focus on mid west to north east teams, that could eventually be in the same division as a team up that way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom