The Jordan is a Jerk Topic

Originally Posted by LA KB24

on time mj came to high school to watch marcus jordan in the conference championship vs my high school and the whole time jordan didnt say anything not talk to no one or nothing..i could understand that part but this is the crazy part he was not even looking at his son play which what could have been his final HS game. the whole time MJ was just looking down at his phone the whole time and never looked up.

i always knew that he was a jerk before you could just tell by the way he talks and acts.....my sister never believes me when i say he is a jerk. she just says i dont care Kobe is conceited and cocky and i hate him lol
Damn. I knew he was +++ but not caring enough to watch your own sons b-ball game?

Originally Posted by AceBoogie

He punched steve kerr in the face...and won the championship.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

that's like a lifetime tv movie

Originally Posted by 36hypno

Originally Posted by NooEra

Originally Posted by infam0usP

NOT SURE IF SERIOUS...

Yes serious. In the 90's Jordan was one of the most famous people on the planet. Everyone knows who Michael Jordan is.

Tiger is light years beyond Jordan. Tiger had billboards in the UAE. 
The other MJ when he was alive was beyond both.
Tiger isn't light years beyond Jordan. 
Ali, MJ, Tiger and Pele are in a league of their own. MJ and Tiger benefit from a far more global time period.

Others like Ronaldo #9 are just a tier below. 

I'm going with Ali though.

Originally Posted by 36hypno

Originally Posted by NooEra

Originally Posted by infam0usP

NOT SURE IF SERIOUS...

Yes serious. In the 90's Jordan was one of the most famous people on the planet. Everyone knows who Michael Jordan is.

Tiger is light years beyond Jordan. Tiger had billboards in the UAE. 
The other MJ when he was alive was beyond both.
Tiger isn't light years beyond Jordan. 
Ali, MJ, Tiger and Pele are in a league of their own. MJ and Tiger benefit from a far more global time period.

Others like Ronaldo #9 are just a tier below. 

I'm going with Ali though.

Originally Posted by Mr Everywhere

Around 2004, when Jordan was holding the Jordan Classic in DC for Highschool players, I would go faithfully every year. It was a couple of games with the top national players, and local players. Anyways, Jordan was rarely there. This one year Jordan actually showed up. It was a huge deal. Anyways, this dude had the nerve to sit visible, accessible to fans. I'll never forget when he came out, everyone is staring up. This little kid climbs up some seats trying to shake his hand, and he just looked at him...mugging. Lol thats when i knew all the stories had to be true. People started boo'ing and everything.

i was at that game....i remember shannon brown murking lebron james

Around 2004, when Jordan was holding the Jordan Classic in DC for Highschool players, I would go faithfully every year. It was a couple of games with the top national players, and local players. Anyways, Jordan was rarely there. This one year Jordan actually showed up. It was a huge deal. Anyways, this dude had the nerve to sit visible, accessible to fans. I'll never forget when he came out, everyone is staring up. This little kid climbs up some seats trying to shake his hand, and he just looked at him...mugging. Lol thats when i knew all the stories had to be true. People started boo'ing and everything.

Originally Posted by LESfamilia

Yeah, that last statement took it a little too far...  I'll let Jordan live, but Ali did major work. 
alien.gif
I respect Ali as much as the next man, but you cannot deny the fact that Jordan is at the very least the most well known athlete of all time, if not person period. Before Jordan joined Nike they weren't even a major player in the sports apparel business. Jordan turned Nike into a religion. Ali didn't have sneakers and apparel that profited hundreds of millions of dollars every year. Ali didn't advertise for dozens of international corporations in his career. Jordans face was literally plastered EVERYWHERE in the 90's. My boy went on some missionary trip to a village in SE Asia a few years ago (long after Jordans retirement.) He's a bald black guy, but beyond that he looks nothing like Jordan. He's about 5'9-10. As soon as he stepped out the car, kids and adults were running up to him screaming "Michael Jordan!". These people couldn't even speak English. You can maybe argue the Pope is more well-known, but as far as living entertainers go, name someone more internationally known than MJ. I'll wait.

Yeah, that last statement took it a little too far...  I'll let Jordan live, but Ali did major work. 
alien.gif
I respect Ali as much as the next man, but you cannot deny the fact that Jordan is at the very least the most well known athlete of all time, if not person period. Before Jordan joined Nike they weren't even a major player in the sports apparel business. Jordan turned Nike into a religion. Ali didn't have sneakers and apparel that profited hundreds of millions of dollars every year. Ali didn't advertise for dozens of international corporations in his career. Jordans face was literally plastered EVERYWHERE in the 90's. My boy went on some missionary trip to a village in SE Asia a few years ago (long after Jordans retirement.) He's a bald black guy, but beyond that he looks nothing like Jordan. He's about 5'9-10. As soon as he stepped out the car, kids and adults were running up to him screaming "Michael Jordan!". These people couldn't even speak English. You can maybe argue the Pope is more well-known, but as far as living entertainers go, name someone more internationally known than MJ. I'll wait.

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

alien.gif
You've definitely thrown the gauntlet down with that last question, but if I had to stop and think about it, I'd say maybe Will Smith.

I think we're forgetting here that Ali was that much more significant than the next legendary sports figure because he actually took a stand for something that really mattered.  In addition, he dominated arguably the best division of one of the most intense sports in history--boxing.  While we may never see another Jordan, one could argue that we may never see another Magic, Bird, or even Kobe or LeBron.  What do you think?

Originally Posted by jordanhendrix

that was in 2003. 
Only thing funny that happen in 2004 was Rudy Gay getting booed like crazy

alien.gif
You've definitely thrown the gauntlet down with that last question, but if I had to stop and think about it, I'd say maybe Will Smith.

I think we're forgetting here that Ali was that much more significant than the next legendary sports figure because he actually took a stand for something that really mattered.  In addition, he dominated arguably the best division of one of the most intense sports in history--boxing.  While we may never see another Jordan, one could argue that we may never see another Magic, Bird, or even Kobe or LeBron.  What do you think?

Originally Posted by jordanhendrix

that was in 2003. 
Only thing funny that happen in 2004 was Rudy Gay getting booed like crazy

alien.gif
This. Many famous athletes have signature series' (ie Federer, Kobe), but none of them are even in the same ball park as far as long term popularity. Jordan Brand is a multi-milllion dollar brand that has been, and still is recognizable by millions of people all around the world.

alien.gif
This. Many famous athletes have signature series' (ie Federer, Kobe), but none of them are even in the same ball park as far as long term popularity. Jordan Brand is a multi-milllion dollar brand that has been, and still is recognizable by millions of people all around the world.

There is no need to argue the Ali vs. Jordan popularity. Younger folks will say Jordan. People that understand the history and what Ali went through and stood for in the TIME that he went through it and stood for it, will understand how great of an icon he was at his peak. It isn't even about the material either. But carry on.....

There is no need to argue the Ali vs. Jordan popularity. Younger folks will say Jordan. People that understand the history and what Ali went through and stood for in the TIME that he went through it and stood for it, will understand how great of an icon he was at his peak. It isn't even about the material either. But carry on.....

I will agree with you DC in that you at least understand what I'm basing this off of...  Jordan was the preeminent athlete in an era where exposure was everything.  He was the prototypical big name athlete.  There is no doubt about that.  I guess I just wish that people could take time to think about what Ali meant and how all of that somehow surpassed any of his stellar athletic achievements. 

I know my friend's little brother (10-year-old white kid, if it matters) was able to tell me what the relevance of the "FLOAT LIKE A BUTTERFLY" 59/50 was because he learned about Ali and his trials and tribulations during his school's Black History Month curriculum.  I don't know if it's because of his ubiquity or what, but we usually don't hear about Jordan when people mention the likes of Jesse Owens, Ali and so forth during February.  I wonder why that is? 
nerd.gif

I will agree with you DC in that you at least understand what I'm basing this off of...  Jordan was the preeminent athlete in an era where exposure was everything.  He was the prototypical big name athlete.  There is no doubt about that.  I guess I just wish that people could take time to think about what Ali meant and how all of that somehow surpassed any of his stellar athletic achievements. 

I know my friend's little brother (10-year-old white kid, if it matters) was able to tell me what the relevance of the "FLOAT LIKE A BUTTERFLY" 59/50 was because he learned about Ali and his trials and tribulations during his school's Black History Month curriculum.  I don't know if it's because of his ubiquity or what, but we usually don't hear about Jordan when people mention the likes of Jesse Owens, Ali and so forth during February.  I wonder why that is? 
nerd.gif

Don't get me wrong, in terms of impact on society Ali>Jordan all day. There's few entertainers in American history period who made the same cultural impact as Ali. But I'm talking recognition and fame, both of which can be very superficial but relevant nonetheless. The media exposure capabilities just weren't the same in Ali's era. I mean TV was still a relatively new form of media early in Ali's career so its hard to argue that he was more well known than MJ. These stories are testaments to the fact that fame=/=cultural impact. Ali had more of the latter, MJ more of the former.

And I'm sorry but Will Smith is nowhere near MJ haha. I'd even argue Shaq is more famous than Will but that kinda stuff is hard to argue.

Don't get me wrong, in terms of impact on society Ali>Jordan all day. There's few entertainers in American history period who made the same cultural impact as Ali. But I'm talking recognition and fame, both of which can be very superficial but relevant nonetheless. The media exposure capabilities just weren't the same in Ali's era. I mean TV was still a relatively new form of media early in Ali's career so its hard to argue that he was more well known than MJ. These stories are testaments to the fact that fame=/=cultural impact. Ali had more of the latter, MJ more of the former.

And I'm sorry but Will Smith is nowhere near MJ haha. I'd even argue Shaq is more famous than Will but that kinda stuff is hard to argue.

Plain and simple, Jordan carries more weight in terms of the culture of his sport and the company that backed him. Basketball being as popular as it was and as it was today, plus the behemoth that nike has become, = associated with Jordan forever. Because of their prominence, Jordan is just a well known part of it because its a symbiotic relationship between all three things. Where Nike is known, jordan will be as well. Where basketball is known, Jordan will be as well.

Ali is still in a sense the more well known and more impactful, because even though younger folks might not exactly know who Ali was, anyone who DOES know Ali knows all about him and what he stood for. His convictions and his actions were noticed and paid attention by people in his era and after.

It depends if youre speaking about just plain name/face recognition or what the guys actually stood for.

To me personally, Ali > Jordan in terms of subjective impact/influence. Solely because I look at Jordan and see a great athlete but in a sense, an incomplete character/lack of character, whereas with Ali, hes honestly intriguing to me.

Again, thats just my opinion though.

Plain and simple, Jordan carries more weight in terms of the culture of his sport and the company that backed him. Basketball being as popular as it was and as it was today, plus the behemoth that nike has become, = associated with Jordan forever. Because of their prominence, Jordan is just a well known part of it because its a symbiotic relationship between all three things. Where Nike is known, jordan will be as well. Where basketball is known, Jordan will be as well.

Ali is still in a sense the more well known and more impactful, because even though younger folks might not exactly know who Ali was, anyone who DOES know Ali knows all about him and what he stood for. His convictions and his actions were noticed and paid attention by people in his era and after.

It depends if youre speaking about just plain name/face recognition or what the guys actually stood for.

To me personally, Ali > Jordan in terms of subjective impact/influence. Solely because I look at Jordan and see a great athlete but in a sense, an incomplete character/lack of character, whereas with Ali, hes honestly intriguing to me.

Again, thats just my opinion though.

Back
Top Bottom