"The Last Dance" Michael Jordan & Chicago Bulls Docuseries

Now why all the sudden everybody come out with these accusations? Why didn’t nobody say this stuff early on?

giphy-1.gif

Pippin was great. People don’t understand how good he was. He wasn’t sidekick material to anyone else but jordan.
I believe great players of that era would look like a sidekick next to Jordan. Pippen was good enough to carry a franchise. although that choke job with the Blazers against the Lakers will always have a dent on his legacy. just wondering if TIm Donaghy was also officiating that series.

Nah, Pippen wasn't going to carry a franchise. It was because of his offense. Not saying he wasn't a great offensive player, he just wasn't clutch.

There may have been a few instances here and there where he was but for the majority of his career he wasn't clutch.

I think he could get you to the playoffs though.

Nah, Pippen wasn't going to carry a franchise. It was because of his offense. Not saying he wasn't a great offensive player, he just wasn't clutch.

There may have been a few instances here and there where he was but for the majority of his career he wasn't clutch.

Just like Lebron. Although that was exactly my point. He ain't clutch but doesn't mean he couldn't be a franchise player. He was instrumental for the team as far as taking you there but not necessarily winning it nor being the "go to guy". If there was a player that can win you championships, there is Dwade for instance.

don't really get pip's saltiness on phil's decision to choose kukoc to take the last shot... i mean he bricked a three a few seconds before ewing made a game-tying shot :lol: and toni already made a lot of clutch moments during that season... it would be stupid not to give the ball to him

but what if phil DID pick scottie for the game winner...? i guess he'd probably make it, or he wouldn't... but if he missed it'll be as much of a stain on his career as his decision to sit out the final play

Just like Lebron. Although that was exactly my point. He ain't clutch but doesn't mean he couldn't be a franchise player. He was instrumental for the team as far as taking you there but not necessarily winning it nor being the "go to guy". If there was a player that can win you championships, there is Dwade for instance.
I see early playoff exits for Scottie often if he was the man on a team.

I’ve only witnessed 4 players “carry their team” deep into the playoffs. Iverson, wade, Dirk. Bron. That’s it. Pip not being able to do that isn’t as big as a deal as people want to say

Name the players who have
It's common knowledge bro, I don't want to have to list them all here. Just research it.

I'll give you a bonus too, check out the 98 Finals. See what percentage of his team's points that MJ scored. That's the definition of carrying a team.

I’ve only witnessed 4 players “carry their team” deep into the playoffs. Iverson, wade, Dirk. Bron. That’s it. Pip not being able to do that isn’t as big as a deal as people want to say
I will ruff some feathers here. as good as Iverson was, that Finals appearance only happened once and they were most likely tailor made to happen. PiP almost did that in 95 once leading the team in all statistical category. personally, I felt that they could have won 1 as well in that year. it was a good Bulls team with great chemistry without Jordan.

We shouldn't be speaking on clutch performances of players during eras in which those Clutch stats weren't kept.

We can't possibly trust our memories.

So all the, "Pippen wasn't clutch" comments are baseless claims at BEST.

what about me?
3-clyde-drexler-andrew-d-bernstein.jpg
Explain how.

Tell me which year.

This is why I say we should never trust our memories.

89-90: THREE 20 PPG scorers in the playoffs: https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/POR/1990.html#playoffs_per_game

91-92: TP averaged 2 points less than Clyde, Kersey average 16. : https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/POR/1992.html#playoffs_per_game::27

Clyde never "carried" those PORT teams. Those were very good squads all around.

That is why I asked, "Define Carried."

We shouldn't be speaking on clutch performances of players during eras in which those Clutch stats weren't kept.

We can't possibly trust our memories.

So all the, "Pippen wasn't clutch" comments are baseless claims at BEST.
Basless to you because you don't know. No one has to rely on memories, all of the video and box scores are there.

What the box score doesn't tell you, the video will.

"Baseless at BEST?"

Dude you're either insane or do not understand English well. I think sometimes you do not know what you're saying.

Basless to you because you don't know. No one has to rely on memories, all of the video and box scores are there.

What the box score doesn't tell you, the video will.

"Baseless at BEST?"

Dude you're either insane or do not understand English well. I think sometimes you do not know what you're saying.
BAseless to anyone with an OBJECTIVE eye.

If you don't have data to support a claim, you are basing it from MEMORY/OPINION/A LIMITED NUMBER OF CLIPS

So yes, baseless AT BEST because there is no objective BASIS for the claim.

So unless data exists, NONE of us KNOW.

Also, Box scores don't display clutch stats.

If you have access to Box Scores that do, please educate me.

Last edited:

Post evidence of this claim.

A few videos of instances doesn't support the claim of, "Majority of his career he wasn't clutch."

You made the claim, please provide the evidence.

Majority of scoring when compared to other team mates
Majority of 4th quarter scoring
Majority of clutch time scoring
Show evidence of any of this from the eras in which we didn't have detailed stat tracking.

Last edited:
" but for the majority of his career he wasn't clutch. " 8)

Playoff Years: 1997-2003

Playoff Teams: Chicago Bulls, Houston Rockets, Portland Trail Blazers

Total Clutch Minutes Played: 153

Scottie Pippen may never have won a title if he didn't have the luxury of suiting up next to Michael Jordan, but it's not as if he was out of his league when serving as the clear-cut leader of a team. As good as he was in clutch situations while playing for the Chicago Bulls, his work during the 2000 postseason is actually what earns him a featured spot in these rankings.

During his first go-round with the Portland Trail Blazers, Pippen was virtually unstoppable, and we're not even factoring in his legendary defensive skills here. Though his scoring had declined during the regular season (12.5 points per game, which was then his worst mark since his rookie season), he was up to the challenge when games were tight in the playoffs.

That postseason alone, Pippen spent 30 minutes on the floor in crunch-time situations, and his Clutch Rating was a sterling 76.7, narrowly beating out Shaquille O'Neal for the top score among everyone who played at least a full quarter of heart-pounding action.

Why? Because he was always on the attack, working his way to the charity stripe and converting at an 83.3 percent clip. Per 36 minutes, he averaged 26.4 points, 13.2 rebounds and 2.4 assists for Rip City, and there's nothing in that statistical profile that indicates he was a lifelong second fiddle.

NBA Playoff History Clutch Meter: The Top 25 Late-Game Players in Recent Memory: https://tinyurl.com/3dn9nesu

Back
Top Bottom