The Lion King was a RIPOFF?! Say it ain't so...

IMG_0270.GIF

The mental gymnastics in that clip. I can't watch it. I feel embarrassed for the dude trying to explain for the director.

Inception ripped off donald duck comic from 2002
Inception was the biggest film release in a long time, and audiences and critics alike gushed over how original it was. It pioneered such innovative story mechanics as dream sharing, thought theft, psychological limbo and escaping the subconscious through specific triggers, or "kicks." Those are, no doubt brilliant devices. Devices that, to a one, can be traced back to Scrooge McDuck.

43397.jpg

In a 2002 comic book, eight years before Christopher Nolan's little dream exploration film, Scrooge got his mind hijacked by the Beagle Boys. The Boys were trying out new careers as dream-thieves and went into Scrooge's mind to steal the secret combination of his vault. If this sounds vaguely familiar, it's because that's exactly how Inceptionopens up.

43398.jpg

After they're inside Scrooge's mind, the Beagle Boys have trouble differentiating dreams from reality -- again, exactly like the characters from Inception, who need special items, or "totems" in order to tell dream from reality.

43399.jpg

When Donald Duck enters Scrooge's dream to help, he has to figure out a way to pry the Beagle Boys out of there. In Inception they use "kicks" to make controlled exits, like how the feeling of falling usually snaps you out of the dream. In McDuck's head, they do, well,the exact same thing.

43401.jpg

In order to escape danger, Scrooge starts jumping from dream to dream, but like Cillian Murphy's character, he can't remember the last dream once he's in the new one. Donald, however, is the invader (like DiCaprio) so he alone is able to remember the progression.

43402.jpg

But Inception was a sci-fi thriller, and that was key to its appeal: It took metaphysical concepts, like Lucid Dreaming, and used them to fuel the action. The characters can't break the rules, but they can "imagine a bigger gun," and that's hardly something you'd see in some Disney duck carto-

43403.jpg

Anyone who's really bad at pattern recognition might at this point be saying, but wait, there's Limbo! That, at least, is definitely the exclusive work of our favorite dark genius ... Gyro Gearloose.

43404.jpg

These are all from the same issue of one 24-page comic book, by the way -- not some collection of random panels throughout the years that we've strung together to make a point. Then there's Mal, DiCaprio's wife who's being kept alive solely in his dreams. And yes, even that sad, emotionally complex motivation is echoed in this comic about pantsless waterfowl.

43405.jpg

This is Goldie, Scrooge's old girlfriend. She may or may not be dead, but he certainly hasn't seen her in about 50 years. See, she's in the dreamworld because Scrooge carries a lot of guilt from the way he treated her when they were together (i.e., he kidnapped and tormented her. Yeah, Ducktales skipped over Scrooge's violent criminal phase.). Kind of like the guilt DiCaprio feels, believing that he killed his wife, whom he constantly visits in his dreams.

My dad ruined my childhood when he told me about Kimba back in 1995. I still remember the conversation lol "Son the game is all the same, just a new generation of players"

Who cares? Nobody is checkin for Kimba. Disney did what it's been doing since Snow White in 1937, adapting other stories into movies and making then 100 times better.

Lion King > Kimba all day.

Besides. The storylines aren't even similar.

In Africa during the mid-20th century, as mankind encroaches, the white lion Panja (Caesar in the English dub) gives the jungle's wild animals a safe haven. However, he angers nearby villagers by stealing their cattle and their food to feed the jungle carnivores. (In the English dub he merely frees the cattle.) A professional hunter, Ham Egg (Viper Snakely in the English dub), is called in to stop these raids. He avoids directly attacking Panja. Instead, he records the sounds of Panja and uses them to trap his pregnant mate, Eliza, who then becomes bait in a trap for Panja. Panja is killed for his hide (but not before asking Eliza to name their child Leo), and Eliza is put on a ship, destined for a zoo. Leo (Kimba in the English dub) is born on the boat. Eliza teaches him his father's ideals. As a huge tropical storm nears, she urges her cub out through the bars of her cage. The storm wrecks the boat, and he flounders in the ocean. The fish help him learn to swim. As he begins to despair, the stars in the sky form the face of his mother, who encourages him. Guided by butterflies, he makes it to land. Leo lands far from his ancestral home and is found and cared for by some people. He learns the advantages of human culture, and decides that when he returns to his wild home he will bring culture to the jungle and stand for peace like his father. The show follows Leo's life after he returns to the wild, still a young cub, and how he learns and grows in the next year. Leo soon learns that only communication and mutual understanding between animals and humans will bring true peace.

How the **** is that even similar to the Lion King? They're not. They take a few screenshots of similar scenes and all of the sudden its a stolen idea? You can do that to tons of movies.

Lion King is basically Hamlet. So if any credit is going to go somewhere, its there. PLUS, there is a huge Bambi influence in TLK. As a matter of fact, Kimba is designed very similarly to Bambi and DIRECTLY influenced by it, just check out the plot of the series. The creator of Kimba were huge Bambi fans and actually got the license to officially publish it in as Manga 1951.

Close this thread up.

I'm surprised I didn't know this considering I mess with some of Tezuka's manga.

I don't really feel any way about it though since it's not some unheard of **** to do :lol:

I'm surprised I didn't know this considering I mess with some of Tezuka's manga.

I don't really feel any way about it though since it's not some unheard of **** to do :lol:

The storyline of Kimba is more of a copy of Bambi than the Lion King is of Kimba. Don't be fooled.

Back
Top Bottom