The Major League Baseball Off-Season Post Vol. 24 days until Opening Day 2009

Yay Astros sign Aaron Boone
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

Yay Astros sign Aaron Boone
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

[h1]Reds notebook[/h1] [h2]New diagnosis could heighten interest in OF

A healthy Rocco Baldelli would seem to be the perfect fit for the Reds.

He's a 27-year-old, five-tool, right-handed-hitting outfielder.[/h2]
But Baldelli has been anything but healthy. He missed more games than he played the last two years, and the disease he was thought to be suffering from had no real cure.

All that might have changed with a new diagnosis.

A report from a Rhode Island TV station said Baldelli was misdiagnosed and that doctors at the Cleveland Clinic found that Baldelli didn't have mitochondrial disorder. He has channelopathy, which is a treatable disease.

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty heard about the report.

"I haven't talked to his agent (since the report came out)," Jocketty said. "But if it's not as critical as it was thought to be, that changes the way we see him. I'm sure it changes it for a lot of clubs."

Baldelli was glad to get the good news.

"It's definitely an encouraging development," Baldelli told the St. Petersburg Times from his Rhode Island home.

"Knowing this is a treatable condition, I feel this is a very positive thing for me and my baseball career. With this less-severe diagnosis, I hope to be on the field on a much more regular basis."

Baldelli hit 287 and averaged 13 home runs and 76 RBI in his first two years in the majors before injuries and the mysterious ailment sidetracked his career.

Nationals just signed Daniel Cabrera. it's a one year deal so there's no risk, and potentially a high reward if St. Claire (Nationals pitching coach)can corral his control issues. he still has the potential to be dominant.

i like it.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

What team is dumb and desperate enough to offer Oliver Perez a 5 year deal?
laugh.gif
I wouldn't be surprised if the Dodgers stepped up and offered it.
laugh.gif

I know the Dodgers have made some bad deals (Pierre, Jones, Schmidt), but it is good to know that they don't like giving pitchers more than 3-4 years. Thelast 4 year deal given out by the Dodgers was Derek Lowe's and that was under Paul DePodesta. Colletti's biggest pitcher contracts have been Schmidtand Kuroda, both for 3 years. The worst that I could see is them throwing an absurd amount of cash, but length, I highly doubt it.

Has anyone one been watching the MLB Network? It officially launches January 1st, I am going to be glued to the couch.
laugh.gif

I have been.

Right now, they have the 2004 Red Sox Champions and MLB's epic moments on repeat all day long

ohwell.gif

I looked ahead at the programming for the first day and its too Red Sox / Fenway orriented for my taste

sick.gif

That MLB Tonight show when the season starts looks amazing. I'm also looking forward to 30 teams in 30 nights.

pimp.gif

Anybody know if I gotta order this or does in come included?

I hope Johnson can mentor Jonathan Sanchez. Sanchez has great stuff, it's just his inconsistency that he needs to work on.

Reds ink Taveras to two-year deal

CINCINNATI -- The Reds on Saturday signed free-agent center fielder Willy Taveras to a two-year contract.
Financial terms of the contract weren't immediately known.

Taveras, 27, spent the past two seasons with the Rockies. In 133 games in 2008, he batted .251 and led the Majors with 68 stolen bases and a .907 stolen-base percentage (68-for-75).

Having sought a leadoff hitter and center fielder during the offseason, Cincinnati believes it has filled both needs with Taveras. Although he had only a .308 on-base percentage last season, he batted .320 with a .367 OBP in 2007.

A five-year Major League veteran of the Astros and Colorado, Taveras is a .283 lifetime hitter.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

i miss my beisbol!
me too
smh.gif

NFL and NBA mean jack $#$% to me (sorry people)

Premiership is weekly while the champions league doesn't restart til February

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

I hope Johnson can mentor Jonathan Sanchez. Sanchez has great stuff, it's just his inconsistency that he needs to work on.
Shouldn't this lead to a trade at some point? They've got Cain, Lincecum, and Zito locked in for the foreseeable future... They've gotMadison Bumgarner and Tim Alderson on the horizon...

Red Sox reportedly agree with Penny

After saving millions when they couldn't sign free-agent first baseman Mark Teixeira, the Boston Red Sox appear to have banked another penny.

Boston media outlets are reporting that the team has agreed to terms with free-agent pitcher Brad Penny. The reports indicate the right-hander will receive a one-year, $5 million deal and can earn an additional $3 million for throwing more than 160 innings.

Looking to add a catcher, the Red Sox also agreed to a non-guaranteed major league deal with Josh Bard, the Boston Herald reported. The deal is worth $1.6 million, the newspaper said.

While battling shoulder problems last season, Penny struggled to a 6-9 record with a 6.27 ERA for the Los Angeles Dodgers. That followed his two most productive major league campaigns. He went 16-4 with a 3.03 ERA in 2007, was named to the All-Star team and finished third in Cy Young voting. In 2006, he was 16-9 with a 4.33 ERA and also made the All-Star team.

In nine years, Penny is 94-75 with the Dodgers and Florida Marlins.

The Red Sox, who lost to the Tampa Bay Rays in the American League Championship Series last season, have been looking to shore up a rotation that includes Daisuke Matsuzaka, Jon Lester, Josh Beckett and Tim Wakefield.

So the Top 3 of the 03' Marlins are in the A.L. East.

Pavano, you're wack and do not count.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Shouldn't this lead to a trade at some point? They've got Cain, Lincecum, and Zito locked in for the foreseeable future... They've got Madison Bumgarner and Tim Alderson on the horizon...

They aren't going to keep that many Southpaws in the rotation. Plus, you still have the unknown with Noah Lowry coming back this year. Jonathan Sanchezhas about as high a trade value as you're going to get. I'm sure Sanchez will be dealt sooner or later, packaged with a prospect or two (Pucetas?) forsomeone that provide some power.

Johnson ain't mentoring %!$+, he barely said hi to his teammates when he was here in NY
laugh.gif
.He signed for the cash, and the Giants signed him for the 300th win.

I miss baseball like crazy.
frown.gif
Right now I'm just trying to figureout what the best seats in the New Yankee Stadium are. I had Yankee Stadium down to perfection as far as seating goes, now I have to readjust. I'm alsoworking on locking up as many games as possible for next season.

Back
Top Bottom