The Major League Baseball Off-Season Post Vol. 24 days until Opening Day 2009

Lets see if Smoltz can recover from the injury and he cant beat the yanks this is not 96.

Damn Smoltz. He used to be one of the filthiest closers I've ever seen. Ever since he moved to the starting rotation he was never the same to me.

But I wish him luck in Boston though.

CC
AJ
Wang
Joba
?

v

Beckett
Dice K
Lester
Penny
Smoltz

thoughts? comments? obviously the sox are still behind, but i think depending on who ends up in that fifth spot for ny, it could be interesting. hopefullysheets doesn't end up being the last man for ny

Milton Bradley and the Cubs, huh?

I have such mixed feelings about Milton Bradley. He seems like such a jerk and an injury risk. He also seems like an above average talent. I hope he works out.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

CC
AJ
Wang
Joba
?

v

Beckett
Dice K
Lester
Penny
Smoltz

thoughts? comments? obviously the sox are still behind, but i think depending on who ends up in that fifth spot for ny, it could be interesting. hopefully sheets doesn't end up being the last man for ny

I can't even argue that because both sides look great and it's getting me way too %%*!@+@ hyped for baseball in January
laugh.gif

I'm just glad to see the Sox do something like this, the top 3 are going to be duking it out all year.

Smoltz hasn't been the same since moving back to the rotation? Huh?

He pitched three straight years over 200 innings into his 40s with an ERA under 3.50 all three years and an ERA right at 3.00 twice... That's a damn goodstarting pitcher...

He was a great, great closer... But he's a damn good starting pitcher too...

If he's healthy, that's a HUGE get for the Red Sox...

Will Smoltz be ready for opening day? I know he had surgery...I just don't remember the timetable for his return.

Smoltz to the Sox is a helluva deal. He could benefit early from the hitters not being used to seeing his stuff, but I think overall pitching in the AL ismuch tougher then pitching in the NL and he'll struggle here and there. But once the postseason lights come on, dude is money.
pimp.gif

Why couldn't we go and offer a deal to guys like that?
tired.gif

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

Will Smoltz be ready for opening day? I know he had surgery...I just don't remember the timetable for his return.
I read somewhere that he's already throwing all five of his pitches in bullpen sessions and he's already gotten back up into the 90'swith his fastball... If that's the case, I'd assume he's well on his way to being ready for the start of the season...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Smoltz hasn't been the same since moving back to the rotation? Huh?

He pitched three straight years over 200 innings into his 40s with an ERA under 3.50 all three years and an ERA right at 3.00 twice... That's a damn good starting pitcher...

He was a great, great closer... But he's a damn good starting pitcher too...

If he's healthy, that's a HUGE get for the Red Sox...
and we have our question mark...
Old pitcher + borderline mechanics + more innings = fail.

Plus if I remember than injury he had was pretty serious, who knows if he's the same pitcher.
tired.gif

But the Sox aren't putting their whole season on Smoltz's arm. He can take all the time he needs between starts, get his arm right and just be healthyfor the postseason run all for low dollars compared to what the Yanks are doin with their guys.

^ Reward > Risk
Bingo... Especially considering the dollar amount they paid for him and the depth of arms they've got to throw out there anyways...

Beckett, Matsuzaka, Lester, Penny, Smoltz, Bowden, Masterson, Buchholz, Wakefield...
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Nice pick up for the bosox. Smoltz and Baldelli will be good additions to the team.

Ah, the Braves can go !#$$ themselves for screwing this one. I've got no reason to look forward to this season now...

Chipper is a FA next winter. I fully expect him to be with the elsewhere in 2010...hell, that's only if we don't trade him by the deadline.

^ Reward > Risk
Bingo... Especially considering the dollar amount they paid for him and the depth of arms they've got to throw out there anyways...

Beckett, Matsuzaka, Lester, Penny, Smoltz, Bowden, Masterson, Buchholz, Wakefield...
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
Its crazy how good of a GM Theo is. Their staff has to be the best in baseball. When you factor in how clutch some of those guys are.

Getting Smoltz and Penny are two great deals. Little risk when both were real good pitchers not too long ago. Penny started the all star game.
laugh.gif

Now Smoltz might have a reason to show out.

The AL East is going to be good. Rays can be a lot better. Its time for a guy like Upton to step up.

^ Reward > Risk

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Thats just downright nasty

even if one or just two of those back end guys pan out, its a huge benefit to the Red Sox

I read somewhere that he's already throwing all five of his pitches in bullpen sessions and he's already gotten back up into the 90's with his fastball... If that's the case, I'd assume he's well on his way to being ready for the start of the season...
Nope.... he's out until May.... possibly mid-May.
He'll miss the first 6-8 weeks according to reports

So I'm watching Hot Stove on MLB Network and apparently the White Sox have interest in Freddy Garcia

Thats news to me

laugh.gif

Also, the Giants, Rangers and God forbid the Twins are interested in Joe Crede

sick.gif

The thought of seeing Joe as a Twin makes me sick to my stomach

smh.gif

Also, I'm checking out the Milton Bradley press conference and it is the EXACT opposite of Texiera's press conference with the Yankees

laugh.gif

man, !**! Boston.

Trevor Hoffman to the Brewers.

Granderson to play in WBC.
pimp.gif

Cliff Lee said no, don't blame pitchers one bit.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

CC
AJ
Wang
Joba
?

v

Beckett
Dice K
Lester
Penny
Smoltz

thoughts? comments? obviously the sox are still behind, but i think depending on who ends up in that fifth spot for ny, it could be interesting. hopefully sheets doesn't end up being the last man for ny
eek.gif
, I commend you because you are a Red Sox fan.

I actually think the Red Sox rotation will be better. I think Penny is going to have a good year, maybe a rough start, but once he gets his groove he will besolid.

Back
Top Bottom