The Major League Baseball Off-Season Post Vol. 24 days until Opening Day 2009

Originally Posted by bkmac

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

Originally Posted by jdcurt2

Reds with a couple big signings today.. Jacque Jones and Daryle Ward
eyes.gif
maybe one of them makes the team to take the place as Javy Valentin of the bench.

frown.gif
Andruw Jones is still out there and we sign Jacque Jones ?
smh.gif

laugh.gif

unless if you're offering Andruw a MAJOR LEAGUE Deal you're not going to get him at all. See todays news regarding him refusing a deal from the yanks
Yup, supposedly he rejected a minor league deal from the Yankees.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen....
he shoulda just taken the offer....

spring training is like 2 weeks away and nobody wants him, he should just take the first offer

roll.gif
did anybody see the video of enderson volquez (sp) with a gun?
roll.gif

i guess it was for a music video for some merengue act. hasnt he seen how much %+#%*$@$ plaxico is goin thru?

Anyone buying MLB.tv this year??
I have for the past 4 years I believe..... and will again this year.
I think I might upgrade to MLB.tv Premium too..... for the HD quality.

Info on the new upgrades & price.....

Reflecting today's economy and Major League Baseball's industry-wide effort to add value and increase fan enjoyment, 2009 MLB.TV subscription packages were launched on Tuesday with advanced technology and for a lower price.
Come and get it, baseball fans.

MLB.TV Premium is now available for $109.95 per year or $19.95 per month. The yearly price is $10 less than the 2008 cost. The MLB.TV standard product is also now available at $79.95 per year and $14.95 per month. That also reflects a $10 annual price drop, in a spirit similar to that of many teams' ballpark ticket prices this season.

"As determined and mindful as we are about affordability, consistent with baseball's sensitivity overall, we are equally passionate about innovation," said Dinn Mann, MLB.com's EVP of Content. "The trust fans put in us to present every game live merits ongoing product development that makes our services, both free and pay, reliable and ahead of the pack."

Millions of fans have watched live games over their computers, and most renewing or new subscribers will go with MLB.TV Premium based on user trends, pricing and the sheer power of the Premium product. Want to see something really cool? MLB.TV Premium is introducing Live Game Radio Option, which means you will be able to select your team's TV or radio announcers at any time.

You already have the Home & Away Team Feed functionality, which was added at the tail end of the 2008 regular season in arguably the most revolutionary upgrade to MLB.TV yet. So not only do you get to decide whether your own broadcasters or the opponents' crew calls your game, but now you also will be able to toggle freely between your TV or radio booth. Vin Scully went from TV to radio for a few innings? No problem -- just follow him from booth to booth. Same with any announcers.

If "pitchers and catchers report" is our all-time favorite command around this time each year, then "MLB.TV is now on sale" is at least moving closer each year to No. 2. The annual launch has become something of a happening, a bellwether of real, honest-to-goodness baseball to come very soon. Once you subscribe, you establish an immediate foothold as a high-tech fan, and you gain immediate access to on-demand archives so you can relive any of the last World Series or maybe a Carlos Zambrano no-hitter while you wait for the Cactus and Grapefruit League games to appear on your menu.

It gets better every year, and the more robust Media Player already is generating a lot of buzz among hardcore fans here at the Major League Baseball Advanced Media offices. Here are things to know in each of the MLB.TV subscription packages:

MLB.TV Premium

HD-Quality Picture (where available). The proprietary speed detection allows high-speed customers to enjoy an HD-quality picture on any size monitor. Available on your Mac or PC.

Live Game DVR Functionality. Watch the game on your own time -- pause, rewind, fast-forward live games. Never miss a moment of the action.

Multi-Game Viewing Options. Watch up to four games or highlights simultaneously in the Mosaic View.

Live Game Picture in Picture. Choose your game and track another or watch in-game highlights simultaneously in a secondary window. This is a must for fantasy owners.

Enhanced Video Player. Now you can use Adobe Flash Player to watch baseball on your Mac or PC. If you use Adobe Flash Player 9.0 or later, no download is required. See System Requirements for more information.

Live Game Radio Option. Select either radio or TV announcers of each game.

Live Game Chat. Comment on the action with either friends or rivals as games are played.

Player Tracker. Customize alerts to feature entire fantasy rosters or players based on your interest. You will be notified any time a listed player is on deck. Simply click the real-time alert and watch live at-bat look-ins.

Home and Away Team Feeds (where available). Watch or listen to either the home or away team's broadcasts. Simply select your favorite announcers or check in to see how the other team's commentators call the game.

All of the standard features are below.

MLB.TV

TV Quality Picture. Watch live games with TV quality picture (800K streaming) on your Mac or PC.

Live Game Highlights. Real-time highlights and player stats automatically load into the Media Player. Simply click on the highlight you would like to watch and the clip instantly launches in a Picture in Picture window.

Condensed Games. These are staples at MLB.com, and to understand how much they mean to many fans, just consider the outcry when we considered shelving them a while back. Condensed Games are posted the day after the game and are shown without blackout restrictions. Archived games are posted about 45 minutes after the game has ended and are shown without blackout restrictions.

PC/Mac Compatible. Watch every regular season game outside of your home territory live on either a Mac or PC.

Includes MLB.com Gameday Audio. Fan of old-time radio baseball broadcasting? Just want to have the game playing in the background while you work at home or at the office? Listen to every 2009 regular-season and postseason game live (with no blackout restrictions).

Spring Training. Watch more than 100 select Spring Training games live (no blackouts).

Regular Season. Watch every out-of-market regular-season game live or on-demand.

Originally Posted by NICEFITDOMINICAN

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Originally Posted by JPZx

www.fromthemindofasportsjunkie.blogspot.com

check out my blog
Weren't you the one starting a website similar to ESPN/SI or something?
yes its about to launch
Good Luck with that...

thank you, once again if you guys are interested in sports writing and have some experience or just love sports to death and want to write, this is great for aresume, and we have big things planned for the site. Please email me - [email protected]

So what does everyone think will be the big story we should be looking out for this season?

Who will be the breakout team and player?

So what does everyone think will be the big story we should be looking out for this season?

Analysts on the MLB Network were flirting with the idea of the Royals being the team to watch.

They said to look for Zack Greinke to come into form.

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

roll.gif
did anybody see the video of enderson volquez (sp) with a gun?
roll.gif

i guess it was for a music video for some merengue act. hasnt he seen how much %+#%*$@$ plaxico is goin thru?

That video was the talk of the sports radio stations in my city on Wednesday, I didnt think it got any pub for except here, Edinson's still that dudethough
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by bkmac

Analysts on the MLB Network were flirting with the idea of the Royals being the team to watch.

They said to look for Zack Greinke to come into form.

The Royals i thought were a team to watch last year. They have alot of good bats and if they give Butler another shot he will be a solid hitter. Greinke is agood pitcher, they need 1 more good pitcher and a star hitter and they can cause some damage

^^^i think the team to watch is the marlins, who WILL make it to the playoffs this year...

and i hope they end the mets season this year again

Mariners Plan April Ceremony For Griffey Jr.

SEATTLE -- Ken Griffey Jr. has always wanted to receive that one final ovation that the city of Seattle has always wanted to give to him.

This coming April, both parties may get their wish.

Prior to the Seattle Mariners' April 14th home opener against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, the team plans to retire jersey No. 24 in honor of Griffey Jr., who spent 13 years in the organization between 1987-1999 before spending the final nine seasons of his career in Cincinnati and Chicago.

"All winter long, fans have been sending emails and stopping me on the street to ask when we were going to bring Griffey back," said general manager Jack Zduriencik. "Today they have their answer. I can think of no better way to pay tribute to a hallowed Mariner icon, and like everybody else in the office, I'm looking forward to the proceedings."

Griffey Jr.'s storied Major League career spanned 20 seasons. One of just six players in baseball history to hit 600 home runs, Griffey Jr. also ranks 18th all-time in career RBI (1772), 29th in career slugging percentage (.547), and 58th in career hits (2680). However, while he was productive throughout, he was at his best in Seattle, where he hit 398 of his dingers and drove home 1152 of his runs batted in. In addition, he batted .299 as a Mariner but just .269 after getting traded to the Cincinnati Reds in February 2000.

Known simply as "Junior" and "The Kid" during his days in the Pacific Northwest, fan favorite Griffey Jr. dazzled with a triple threat of power, speed, and defense. He slugged at least 40 home runs six times as a Mariner. Only once did he fail to steal ten bases. And for ten consecutive seasons between 1990-1999 he won a Gold Glove award for defensive excellence in the outfield. A national superstar, the image of Griffey Jr. leaping over a fence to bring back a fly ball was etched into America's memory.

It was in attempting a difficult defensive play that Griffey Jr. broke bones in his wrist in May 1995, knocking him out of action for two and a half months. He was able to return in time for the stretch run, though, where his contributions helped lead the Mariners to the playoffs for the first time in franchise history. There he hit five home runs against the New York Yankees in the Division Series and scored the dramatic winning run in Game 5, a run widely considered to be the greatest all-time moment in Seattle sports.

"There's no questioning the impact that Junior had on this organization and this city," said Seattle Mariners president Chuck Armstrong. "Just look at the response he got in 2007 as a member of another team. This city loves Junior. I love Junior. Had it not been for him, there's no telling where this organization would be today.

"He deserves to be honored. This isn't exactly how I envisioned him ending his career, but Junior deserves this ceremony. As the most iconic player in franchise history, he deserves an ovation, and he deserves to have his jersey hang from the rafters."

Brian Goldberg, agent for Ken Griffey Jr., was surprised by the announcement.

"I was on a conference call with Jack and Chuck the other day, and Jack asked if we'd support putting ol' 24 on display in Safeco next season. We both said 'yeah, of course,' but then Jack never responded. When I tried to inquire, he said something about a 'verbal contract' and hung up.

"I don't think he knew that Griffey was looking for a place to sign as a free agent. I was going to give him a call to clear some things up and explain that Ken isn't actually retired when I got this jersey ceremony press release faxed to my office. Now I, uh

"Um-"

"I gotta say, I don't know how Jack did it," said Armstrong. "You'd think this sort of thing would require my signature. But nothing ever crossed my desk until the press release. You can imagine my surprise.

"When I confronted Jack to explain that this wasn't really what I had in mind on the phone, he said that there wasn't any going back, because he'd already paid for the bunting and the Bounce House, and that cancelling the order would cost the team a fortune. And with the economy the way it is, we're in no position to take on that kind of hit for nothing. So I guess we're stuck.

"The ceremony should be nice."

With everything all set up to take place at The House That Griffey Built, the only big question remaining is whether the stadium's eponymous player will be coming home to attend. Goldberg couldn't yet provide a definitive answer.

"Ken's still kind of trying to make sense of the whole thing. He doesn't understand what happened, or why we can't just cancel the party. I tried to explain that it's complicated, but he's having some trouble right now.

"I guess it's maybe a little weird when a GM pretty much makes you retire against your will."

The ceremony is scheduled to begin at 3:05pm PDT.

Well deserved
pimp.gif
. Too bad the Mariners don't resign him. Griffdeserves to play another season!

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Mariners Plan April Ceremony For Griffey Jr.

SEATTLE -- Ken Griffey Jr. has always wanted to receive that one final ovation that the city of Seattle has always wanted to give to him.

This coming April, both parties may get their wish.

Prior to the Seattle Mariners' April 14th home opener against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, the team plans to retire jersey No. 24 in honor of Griffey Jr., who spent 13 years in the organization between 1987-1999 before spending the final nine seasons of his career in Cincinnati and Chicago.

"All winter long, fans have been sending emails and stopping me on the street to ask when we were going to bring Griffey back," said general manager Jack Zduriencik. "Today they have their answer. I can think of no better way to pay tribute to a hallowed Mariner icon, and like everybody else in the office, I'm looking forward to the proceedings."

Griffey Jr.'s storied Major League career spanned 20 seasons. One of just six players in baseball history to hit 600 home runs, Griffey Jr. also ranks 18th all-time in career RBI (1772), 29th in career slugging percentage (.547), and 58th in career hits (2680). However, while he was productive throughout, he was at his best in Seattle, where he hit 398 of his dingers and drove home 1152 of his runs batted in. In addition, he batted .299 as a Mariner but just .269 after getting traded to the Cincinnati Reds in February 2000.

Known simply as "Junior" and "The Kid" during his days in the Pacific Northwest, fan favorite Griffey Jr. dazzled with a triple threat of power, speed, and defense. He slugged at least 40 home runs six times as a Mariner. Only once did he fail to steal ten bases. And for ten consecutive seasons between 1990-1999 he won a Gold Glove award for defensive excellence in the outfield. A national superstar, the image of Griffey Jr. leaping over a fence to bring back a fly ball was etched into America's memory.

It was in attempting a difficult defensive play that Griffey Jr. broke bones in his wrist in May 1995, knocking him out of action for two and a half months. He was able to return in time for the stretch run, though, where his contributions helped lead the Mariners to the playoffs for the first time in franchise history. There he hit five home runs against the New York Yankees in the Division Series and scored the dramatic winning run in Game 5, a run widely considered to be the greatest all-time moment in Seattle sports.

"There's no questioning the impact that Junior had on this organization and this city," said Seattle Mariners president Chuck Armstrong. "Just look at the response he got in 2007 as a member of another team. This city loves Junior. I love Junior. Had it not been for him, there's no telling where this organization would be today.

"He deserves to be honored. This isn't exactly how I envisioned him ending his career, but Junior deserves this ceremony. As the most iconic player in franchise history, he deserves an ovation, and he deserves to have his jersey hang from the rafters."

Brian Goldberg, agent for Ken Griffey Jr., was surprised by the announcement.

"I was on a conference call with Jack and Chuck the other day, and Jack asked if we'd support putting ol' 24 on display in Safeco next season. We both said 'yeah, of course,' but then Jack never responded. When I tried to inquire, he said something about a 'verbal contract' and hung up.

"I don't think he knew that Griffey was looking for a place to sign as a free agent. I was going to give him a call to clear some things up and explain that Ken isn't actually retired when I got this jersey ceremony press release faxed to my office. Now I, uh

"Um-"

"I gotta say, I don't know how Jack did it," said Armstrong. "You'd think this sort of thing would require my signature. But nothing ever crossed my desk until the press release. You can imagine my surprise.

"When I confronted Jack to explain that this wasn't really what I had in mind on the phone, he said that there wasn't any going back, because he'd already paid for the bunting and the Bounce House, and that cancelling the order would cost the team a fortune. And with the economy the way it is, we're in no position to take on that kind of hit for nothing. So I guess we're stuck.

"The ceremony should be nice."

With everything all set up to take place at The House That Griffey Built, the only big question remaining is whether the stadium's eponymous player will be coming home to attend. Goldberg couldn't yet provide a definitive answer.

"Ken's still kind of trying to make sense of the whole thing. He doesn't understand what happened, or why we can't just cancel the party. I tried to explain that it's complicated, but he's having some trouble right now.

"I guess it's maybe a little weird when a GM pretty much makes you retire against your will."

The ceremony is scheduled to begin at 3:05pm PDT.

eek.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

That is a disaster, especially if Griffey doesn't retire.
smh.gif
, poor decision. Store the ceremonial bunting and bounce house and wait until Junior retires. Bringing Griffey back would have been a good "tribute".

If you're the Mariners, and all Griffey wants is $5 million (as he's all but publicly stated) why WOULDN'T you bring him back for a year and lethim take a goodbye tour in Seattle? You'd make back that $5M in NO TIME...

Rangers are closing in on a minor-league deal with Andruw Jones' fat !!#...

Another of JD's low-risk, potentially high-reward guy that he can flip at the deadline if they're playing well in Arlington... It's worth seeing ifRudy Jaramillo can fix his swing, at least...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Another of JD's low-risk, potentially high-reward guy that he can flip at the deadline if they're playing well in Arlington... It's worth seeing if Rudy Jaramillo can fix his swing, at least...
Good signing even if he is never a great hitter again, his glove still makes him valuable. Chris O'leary (baseball hitting instructor) spokeon Andrew Jones.
A Pitcher's Goal Is Premature Extension

As you know, I think that extension is the effect of a powerful swing rather than the cause of a powerful swing. As a result, in a good swing extension happens after the Point Of Contact rather than at the Point Of Contact.
The goal of a pitcher is to make sure that the hitter isn't able to get a good swing on the ball. One way a pitcher can do that is to throw an off-speed pitch and mess up a hitter's timing; to get them to extend at the Point Of Contact.

AndruwJones_2008_GroundOut_001.jpg
[h4]Andruw Jones Disconnecting[/h4]

That is what is happening in the photo above of Andruw Jones, which shows him hitting a grounder back to the pitcher. He is extended and reaching out for the ball, which results in a weak, slow swing. Notice how far out in front of his body the head of the bat and his hands are. Also, notice how his back elbow has gotten away from the side of his body and his back upper arm is tilted rather than vertical at the Point Of Contact.
The sad thing is that some people will look at this swing and, not knowing the context of the swing (which is a ground out), trumpet Andrew Jones' extension at the Point Of Contact. However, we know better.

AlbertPujols_2008_HomeRun_002.jpg

Compare that to Pujols.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Another of JD's low-risk, potentially high-reward guy that he can flip at the deadline if they're playing well in Arlington... It's worth seeing if Rudy Jaramillo can fix his swing, at least...
He'll take a minor league deal with the Rangers, but not us? Where is his head at?
laugh.gif

I'll be perfectly honest. If he were to sign with us, came into spring training in shape and played well, I could have seen him beating out Gardner/Melkyfor the starting job.

might as well bring him back if you plan on retiring his #. Let him play 1 more year and then call it a wrap, let him finish where he started

Back
Top Bottom