The Major League Baseball Offseason Post

bye Figgy
frown.gif

I guess I don't understand why the Tigers would readily trade both Granderson and Jackson.

Max Scherzer, Austin Jackson, Phil Coke and Michael Dunn certainly isn't enough for the two of them.

The Tigers would be SO slow without Granderson.
sick.gif

Jackson is a whole bunch of meh..

A right-handed power pitcher striking out fewer than 7 hitters per 9 with extreme flyball tendencies throwing in a very pitcher-friendly park.. Collapsed inthe second half after a first half largely fueled by a .249 BABIP... They're trying to sell high and it's the right thing to do...

laugh.gif
The Nationals signed Pudge Rodriguez to a 2-year, $6M deal... Jesus Flores is a beast, though...
pimp.gif

Does Harden have any offers? I think the last move Kenny Williams should make is for Harden...

This division should be won by the White Sox.

Beckham is prob going to be leading off to start the season.....

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

Does Harden have any offers? I think the last move Kenny Williams should make is for Harden...

This division should be won by the White Sox.

Beckham is prob going to be leading off to start the season.....

Man, the last thing the White Sox need is to invest in starting pitching

someone who can eat innings in that fifth spot and not get knocked out in the fifth inning....Harden should go to the Red Sox

I don't see the White Sox spending another dollar this offseason but I wouldn't mind seeing us take a chance on Joe Crede

something highly incentive laden

Aight, if I'm bugging who is really that much better than that?

San Fran, St Louis and 'Zona have the best 1-2 pitchers in baseball and I will take JAckson over their 3rd starters, Zito and Piniero.

Read the progress of the Tigers/Yankees/Diamondbacks trade from today alone:
8:00am: Morosi tweets that the deal is still a possibility as of this morning, according to one source.
8:35am: Buster Olney adds that the talks progressed to the point where only one team liked the deal; he's not sure whether talks can resume or not.
9:29am: SI's Jon Heyman tweets that this one "looks very unlikely." In his scenario Heyman had Daniel Schlereth, Scherzer, and more going to Detroit. He adds that the Yankees are saying no to the deal, which would've cost them the four prospects named below. Similarly, Morosi now finds the chances of this one to be "not good" because the Yankees balked at the price.
11:30am: Just to add a little intrigue, ESPN's Buster Olney says "one idea raised" was the Yankees getting both Granderson and Jackson. Regardless, two of the teams involved backed out of this three-team mess.
11:33am: Heyman tweets that this deal is "back with a chance." Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News agrees, noting that the Tigers "may be caving" on the price for Granderson. He says the Yanks would likely downgrade one of the pitchers, most likely Dunn. Wouldn't be the Winter Meetings without three-team trade scenarios and the constant back-and-forth.

12:15am: Rosenthal and Morosi note that the Yankees and Tigers are open to making a Granderson deal and leaving the D'Backs out of the discussion. Still, the three-team talks are ongoing and fluid, with the Tigers requiring a "high-ceiling, close-to-the-majors center fielder" as part of the Granderson package. Austin Jackson could be that player.

ESPN's Buster Olney says it's the Tigers that re-ignited the three-way talks, and they've lowered their asking price.

12:24am: More from Olney - the D'Backs are aiming to get Edwin Jackson and Kennedy in the deal. Olney speaks of "growing confidence on at least two of the sides" involved, and his sources have the odds of a deal in the 20-30% range. One Heyman source said 50%.
12:51am: Morosi sees progress being made, while MLB.com's Steve Gilbert thinks this thing is close; the Arizona Republic's Nick Piecoro agrees.
Ah, Winter Meetings.
laugh.gif

The D'Backs offered Chris Snyder to the Rangers for C.J. Wilson and were turned down, reports MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan. Wilson tweets that he's "borderline offended" by Arizona's offer.
laugh.gif

The Rays and White Sox discussed a Carlos Quentin-Carl Crawford trade, says Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times. Manager Ozzie Guillen implies that nothing is cooking on that front though. The two clubs also discussed closer Bobby Jenks, but the Rays did not like the asking price.

1:19pm: Rosenthal says the revised deal has the Tigers getting two players from the Yanks rather than three, with Coke or Dunn out. AOL FanHouse's Ed Price tweets that the D'Backs and Tigers are awaiting signoff from the Yankees, and expect an answer by within 40 minutes.
1:35pm: Olney now says this deal is close. Sherman says medical records are being exchanged on Granderson. In another tweet Sherman says there's no deadline on the deal, but one source says it's "on the goal line." He adds that removing Dunn from the deal was key for the Yanks.

So, if I understand correctly:

Tigers get: Max Scherzer, Daniel Schlereth, Austin Jackson and Phil Coke

Yankees get: Curtis Granderson

Diamondbacks get: Edwin Jackson and Ian Kennedy

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Aight, if I'm bugging who is really that much better than that?

San Fran, St Louis and 'Zona have the best 1-2 pitchers in baseball and I will take JAckson over their 3rd starters, Zito and Piniero.

I typed up a whole damn response and that magician zapped me. Webb is coming off major shoulder surgery you never know how that'll work out the nextseason esp w/that sinker. Jackson struggled badly at the end of last season, who's to say that he won't pick up where he left off and become thatpitcher he was in Tampa.

Zito pitched well enough last year w/his 4 ERA to be a sufficient #3 behind Lincecum and Cain.

And Piniero won 15 games w/a 3.5 while walking only 27 in over 200 IP. I'd take him over Jackson even though he struggled a bit down the stretch as well.

And don't forget about Beckett, Lester and Dice-K/Buchholtz.

Osh Kosh Bosh wrote:
On the subject of preospects how many articles do I have to read saying Jesus has zero chance to stick at catcher before Yankee's realize he is worthless to them, because last time I checked Marke Texeria signed a pretty long contract and will stay at first base, and the DH will be a revolving door for the old geezers that populate their roster so where is Jesus going to take his 6'4 230 pound frame?

To the Blue Jays first base position obviously.

Honestly, how overrated is defense at catcher anyway? Besides Yadier and Mauer what other catcher is a great defender?

His problem is his big and has a long release. He cant be much worse than Posada behind the plate.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

1:19pm: Rosenthal says the revised deal has the Tigers getting two players from the Yanks rather than three, with Coke or Dunn out. AOL FanHouse's Ed Price tweets that the D'Backs and Tigers are awaiting signoff from the Yankees, and expect an answer by within 40 minutes.
1:35pm: Olney now says this deal is close. Sherman says medical records are being exchanged on Granderson. In another tweet Sherman says there's no deadline on the deal, but one source says it's "on the goal line." He adds that removing Dunn from the deal was key for the Yanks.

yankees would also get a one or two prospects from the dbacks (at least i thought i read that)

sterling: i only laugh because this is one of your premier prospects, and you're giving him up (along with other players) for only curtis granderson. notsmart imo. but hey...in cashman y'all trust, right?

Apparently its just about done.

Now we have leverage over Damon as we can sign Cameron for CF move Granderson to LF id we dont resign Johnny.

i am bummed about losing Austin Jackson, but the more i think about it he was supposed to be Curtis Granderson by now so I'll take it

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

yankees would also get a one or two prospects from the dbacks (at least i thought i read that)

sterling: i only laugh because this is one of your premier prospects, and you're giving him up (along with other players) for only curtis granderson. not smart imo. but hey...in cashman y'all trust, right?

Jackson is overatted by fans. He doesnt have much power and is an avergae defender. My hope for him was to actually be Granderson with less power,Good trade in my opinon.

Originally Posted by John Sterling

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

sterling: i only laugh because this is one of your premier prospects, and you're giving him up (along with other players) for only curtis granderson. not smart imo. but hey...in cashman y'all trust, right?

Jackson is overatted by fans. He doesnt have much power and is an avergae defender. My hope for him was to actually be Granderson with less power, Good trade in my opinon.

fair enough

Back
Top Bottom