The Major League Baseball Offseason Post

Arizona trading Scherzer and Schlereth for Jackson and Kennedy is kind of strange to me.

It seems like Detroit realized they needed to think bigger picture and be able to compete with the Indians in the next decade.

The Yankees got who they wanted and traded away a group of young players. Shocker.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Arizona trading Scherzer and Schlereth for Jackson and Kennedy is kind of strange to me.

It seems like Detroit realized they needed to think bigger picture and be able to compete with the Indians in the next decade.

The Yankees got who they wanted and traded away a group of young players. Shocker.

I thought you said biasi aside.

You really dont like this deal for the Yankees?

No clue why Arizona did it. Jackson was terrible in the second half and probably isnt even better than Scherzer.

I didn't say that.

Just, in fine Yankees fashion, it's out with the new and in with the not so new. But, they added a nice piece to a championship team.

I like what the Tigers did best. I'm excited for the future of the American League Central.

Can you blame them in this deal. Jackson was never going to be what everyone made him out to be. He might have one day been better than Granderson but I doubtit.

Losing Kennedy was the tough part for me. He gave us good depth in the rotation this year. I feel like we sold low on him.

whatever the yankees got plenty of new on the way don't worry, one of the best minor league groups they've had in years

Tigers got the best of the deal that's for sure.

But I'm satisified w/what the Yankees got for Jackson, Coke and IPK. IPK is coming off a bad injury and was never really that consistent in the majors andCoke struggled w/lefties for the last quarter of last season and in the playoffs.

Kennedy sucks anyways... ALWAYS been overrated because he was a Yankees prospect... He was never, ever in the class of Joba or Hughes...

Coke, meh... Jackson is a wild card... Yankees got good value, too...

Not sure what the Diamondbacks are doing, but whatever.
laugh.gif

Orioles are trying hard to get Millwood... Offering Pie right now... No thanks.
laugh.gif

I'm going to miss IPK always liked the kid, had a soft spot for him no matter how overrated he was
laugh.gif

Talk about a lowball w/Pie
laugh.gif

I mean, it's not a terrible offer... He's good defensively, and he really hit well after the ASB... But the Rangers already have Murphy, Hamilton, Cruzand Borbon in the OF so they just don't need him...

Trading Millwood is great if it frees up cash to make other moves, and Pie may be a nice piece to have on hand if you think you could flip him, but I justdon't know...

The Yankees receive center fielder Curtis Granderson, who turns 29 in March. Granderson is owed $5.5MM in 2010, $8.25MM in '11, and $10MM in '12, with a $13MM club option/$2MM buyout for '13. That's $25.75MM guaranteed over the next three years.

The Diamondbacks receive a pair of starting pitchers: Edwin Jackson and Ian Kennedy. Jackson, 26, is under team control for '10 and '11 and is owed an arbitration raise on this year's $2.2MM salary. Kennedy, 25 this month, missed most of the '09 season due to surgery to remove an aneurysm near his shoulder. As far as I can tell he is under team control for another six seasons. This is the second year in a row Jackson has been traded at the Winter Meetings.

The Tigers receive four players: starter Max Scherzer, relievers Daniel Schlereth and Phil Coke, and center fielder Austin Jackson. The Tigers get five years of Scherzer, six of Schlereth, five of Coke, and six of Jackson, potentially 22 years of control in total. Scherzer, 25, and Jackson, 23 in February, are probably considered the prizes of the haul.
The Tigers get five years of Scherzer, six of Schlereth, five of Coke, and six of Jackson, potentially 22 years of control in total.
Is it 2012 yet?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I don't know what the hell Arizona was thinking. A bad May and a bad August aside, Scherzer had a solid year last season. Plus he is two years youngerthan Jackson, and under team control for a longer period. Guess they felt like making a splash. Ian Kennedy has been overrated for as long as I couldremember.

Curtis Granderson is better than Austin Jackson right now. I don't like how Grandersons average and obp has dipped, his power numbers have improved. Hehit 30 bombs last year. As a left handed batter in New Yankee Stadium,
laugh.gif
, Cashman knows what he is doing.

smh.gif

Originally Posted by Proshares

Why not give Millwood a one year deal?
He's on a one-year deal... Vested his option this past season and will make $12M in 2010...

Just hard to believe he'll match last season's success, and even if he does, he wasn't the Rangers' best pitcher last season anyways andfreeing up $12M to make other moves and get back a legitimate piece or two might be worth it...

I wouldn't give him away, but if I had a good feeling about moves I could make by dumping him, I'd think long and hard about it.

Talk about cashing in on the high for Granderson. Everyone makes out happy. But the Tiges definitely came home with the mostest.

Ah, for some reason I thought he was coming off a 2/3 year deal. What does the rotation look like if he signs elsewhere?

I'd keep him at a lower price just for the stability and veteran leadership he'd bring. I wouldn't put it past him to get close to the numbers heput up last year.

Millwood, Feldman, Hunter, Holland are locks in the rotation... Harrison, Hurley, McCarthy, Nippert, Feliz and CJ Wilson for the last spot...

If they trade Millwood, they probably sign someone like Sheets or Harden... Feliz will probably start in the bullpen to limit innings, but I'd imaginehe's in the rotation by the ASB...

i like the deal for granderson, i just don't like that we gave up jackson. i really wanted to see what the kid had ..........

D'Backs absolutely lost on this one
laugh.gif

Tigers probably got the best of it because they got sooo much cost controlled youth and the Yankees got what they wanted and nothing they gave up will reallyeffect them. Nice
pimp.gif

Peter Gammons leaving ESPN after the Winter Meetings to pursue new endeavors...

The Pirates and Toronto are discussing a trade involving catcher Ryan Doumit, but the Blue Jays are not the only team in the mix.
More tentative word is floating that the Mariners -- who were known previously -- and Giants are in there, too. Among those I have crossed off the list this morning are the Mets, Rangers and Marlins.
UPDATE 3:14 p.m.: Another source says to watch for hard-throwing reliever Jeremy Accardo being involved in these talks, though that is unconfirmed. The source says the Blue Jays might be looking to move Accardo because he could be non-tendered Friday.

Back
Top Bottom