The Major League Baseball Offseason Post

I have to say, as much as I've loved to clown on Gammons all these years about the Red Sox and all that, the guy is an unbelieveable journalist whorightfully belongs in the Hall Of Fame. His knowledge of the game is matched by very few, and I look forward to seeing what he does next (because I think hewill go to the MLB network giving them an epic lineup of baseball reporters and analysts including Costas, Verducci, Heyman, Rosenthal, pretty much everyonewith any pull in the world of baseball journalism)

was austin jackson one of the names that held up a halladay to ny deal at the deadline last season? or was it montero?

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

was austin jackson one of the names that held up a halladay to ny deal at the deadline last season? or was it montero?

It was neither, it was the jays wanting both joba and hughes and we said go blow yourself.

Originally Posted by Yankeephan87

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

It was neither, it was the jays wanting both joba and hughes and we said go blow yourself.
ah ok thanks

You gotta think this takes the Yankees outta the Halladay sweepstakes... Unless they're willing to part with Joba, Hughes, or Montero...

ESPN Dallas is reporting the Rangers offered Justin Smoak and Neftali Feliz for Josh Johnson...
sick.gif

And the Marlins turned it down.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

The Marlins don't usually make a lot of mistakes, if they turn that deal down, I gotta trust they have somethin else in order.
Unless somebody is giving them a cost-controlled proven frontline starter, they aren't getting a better deal than that...
laugh.gif

There's probably not a better prospect duo in baseball than Smoak and Feliz at this point...

They've got Logan Morrison, so maybe they don't want another first baseman, but he's just not on Smoak's level...

I hear ya, but those guys do all kinds of weird stuff, stuff that don't make any sense to me, then they go out and win 2 world series like nothing, and thehigh dollar Cubs suck for a century. So call me crazy, but I trust them for some reason.
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

I like that JJ kid though. I watched him outduel Johan twice I think last year. He was awesome.

I just think it probably means they're genuinely not interested in trading him right now...

6 years of Feliz and Smoak is the type deal that would generally make their baseball pants stand at attention...

Why would Texas offer both of those guys though? Isn't that a red flag of sorts? Were they ever in the Halladay discussions because I thought both thosekids were untouchable, why offer them BOTH for Josh?

Originally Posted by Proshares

I'm going to miss IPK always liked the kid, had a soft spot for him no matter how overrated he was
laugh.gif
I hope the trade didn't affect you too badly,
laugh.gif

Once I heard about the trade, I was like:

2w4h537.jpg

One of the writers on LoHud wrote a little something about the trade. It's worth considering:

2. "The Yankees gave up too much" But did they? Coke wasn't a closer of the future, which means that - as a bullpen piece - he's certainly expendable; and Kennedy, while certainly talented, wasn't nearly on the same level as Hughes/Chamberlain and had irked some Yankee officials with his ego. So basically it comes down to how you feel about Austin Jackson and, as I've said before, when you're talking about a team like the Yankees it's almost always the right play to go with the established player over the player who is only potential.

Anyone who says they know what Jackson is going to be is lying. No one knows. Those who say the "best he could be is Curtis Granderson" don't know that, just like those who say "he'll be better than Granderson in three years" don't know that either. All we do know is that RIGHT NOW Jackson is a player who has done very well in the minor leagues and Granderson is a player who has done very well in the major leagues. To me, that's the part that makes this trade a steal - you traded a player who MAY be good for a player who IS good, and also happens to be young and economically friendly.
(By the way, it's natural to compare Jackson and Granderson but the two aren't similar players; Jackson has more speed, but also has yet to show anything close to the kind of power that Granderson has shown.)

I guess I'll miss Phil Coke/Choke and how he would ALWAYS point into the air whenever someone hit a fly ball, even when the ball was gonna land in theseats
roll.gif

Something cooking between the White Sox and JJ Putz and we signed up Mark Teahen for 3 years

Seems like every AL club is walking away from the Cubs and Milton Bradley

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Why would Texas offer both of those guys though? Isn't that a red flag of sorts? Were they ever in the Halladay discussions because I thought both those kids were untouchable, why offer them BOTH for Josh?
Not sure... And not so sure I believe it, either...

They wouldn't offer two of Holland, Feliz, and Smoak for Halladay, but they will for Johnson? Maybe because he's younger, under control longer, andwill be cheaper with extension demands... All things considered, I still don't think I'd trade those two for him...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

ESPN Dallas is reporting the Rangers offered Justin Smoak and Neftali Feliz for Josh Johnson...
sick.gif

And the Marlins turned it down.
laugh.gif
I thought the Marlins don't have the money to keep Johnson long term, why wouldn't they do this trade?

Back
Top Bottom