The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

The fight against forrest griffin. Almost seemed like a fake fight. I dont know if ive seen something like that

Khamzat has that energy. Hopefully, we get to see him more this year. Gilbert is legit. Chimaev wins…it’s undeniable.

Can’t talk MMA with anyone that thinks Rob won that fight :rofl:

Rob’s chin is gone, he can’t fight the way he used to.

He looked mega tentative in there, he was fighting to not get knocked out. Dood was terrified of the pocket…as he should have been.

Lol completely different fighter from the 1st fight. Stylebender humbled that man.

It never tells the whole story but I didn’t realize how marked up Whittaker’s face got

Izzy looked clean no scrapes or even swelling

Would love to see prime Andy vs these versions of whittaker

That reach advantage was crazy. Whittaker was looking real silly trying to make his way inside with all the lunging . I was surprised he was as effective as he was getting him to the ground, despite it leading to nothing.

I gave Whittaker 1 round max. Couldn't believe it was 48-47 for two judges.

Also, I still can't believe Tai pulled that off. He was hugging Lewis a lot lol for good reason. Even though he was saying all week that he was going to stand with Lewis

I still don't think Tai is anything more than solid lol, Lewis should have had that but that's the HW division

This Whitaker versus Anderson would be a good theoretical matchup. Anderson had issues with takedowns/wrestling. But he was also nice with them hands. Also Rob’s wrestling wasn’t up there with a GSP, Khabib who could GnP and absolutely dominate on the ground. Izzy/GSP is an interesting matchup.

Also Tai ate some good shots. That’s HW. He hit Derrick with a good elbow. I don’t think he can hang with Stipe, Cyril or Francis. And maybe 5/10 he might lose the Lewis matchup. Also against Curtis and Volkov might give him fits.

Every BamBam fight, I always look forward to when he gets hurt then decides to just bite down and throw a bunch of hooks.

I really like the dirty boxing approach this fight. Used a lot of elbows and knees. Man's got a hell of a chin too. Those strikes he ate while getting back up would sleep most of the division.

Hope they don't feed him to a blades, gane or stipe. Keep him in fun fights. Man's young as hell and making noticable improvements each fight on this run. The Aspinall/Volkov winner would be another fun but legit test.

This Whitaker versus Anderson would be a good theoretical matchup. Anderson had issues with takedowns/wrestling. But he was also nice with them hands. Also Rob’s wrestling wasn’t up there with a GSP, Khabib who could GnP and absolutely dominate on the ground. Izzy/GSP is an interesting matchup.

Also Tai ate some good shots. That’s HW. He hit Derrick with a good elbow. I don’t think he can hang with Stipe, Cyril or Francis. And maybe 5/10 he might lose the Lewis matchup. Also against Curtis and Volkov might give him fits.
Anderson was pretty slick off his back.

He submitted Travis Lutter, a legit BJJ blackbelt, with a triangle.

His boxing was fairly underrated as well.

Say whatever you want about Julio Caesar Chavez Jr, but the guy won a world title and was 10 years younger than Anderson.

Can’t talk MMA with anyone that thinks Rob won that fight :rofl:

Rob’s chin is gone, he can’t fight the way he used to.

He looked mega tentative in there, he was fighting to not get knocked out. Dood was terrified of the pocket…as he should have been.

Lol completely different fighter from the 1st fight. Stylebender humbled that man.
You know, after listening to Mondays Morning Kombat, I could see the Whitaker argument. I also dug the arguments on Izzy’s style. He only fights one way. And a smart guy like Capt Eric/Henry could come up with a smart game plan to mitigate Izzy’s strength a la Jan.

I think Whittaker threw a few oblique kicks. he's too nice to target and win by destroying someone's knee unless his opponent is yoel who messed up his knee first.

Rob’s issue was he started out slow, Izzy started out hot. Rounds 2-4 were close.

The jab and wrestling were getting better through the fight. But Rob didn’t look “good” until 4-5.

Luke brought up a good point…if you take away the kick…and mix in wrestling like Jan. Than what options does Izzy have?

I give Francis credit. Cyril took away the berserker and KOs. So Francis switches to wrestling. If Francis did kick a la Izzy and developed GnP’d a la GSP. He’d have HW on lock.

You know, after listening to Mondays Morning Kombat, I could see the Whitaker argument. I also dug the arguments on Izzy’s style. He only fights one way. And a smart guy like Capt Eric/Henry could come up with a smart game plan to mitigate Izzy’s strength a la Jan.
i'm sayin, i don't listen to that podcast but there's probably half a world that agrees. set aside the commentators slurp fest and our amazement of who stylebender become, and it's a really really close fight. The actual volume of strikes thrown are so low that judges would really have to factor in the other mixed martial arts for once :lol:.

Rob was definitely tentative, but you'd have to be against a counter striker who's fighting essentially a mile away. I honestly thought he'd done enough to win; took chances on almost over shooting himself with some decent hard jabs to get in range and timed some great take downs. I always emphasize this on every post, but if rob had that american/middle east wrestling tenacity, he would've ate on those takedowns all day. There were multiple times where rob shot, had izzy's hips but didn't drive thru for a blast takedown.

happy for both dudes tho, they put on a high-tensioned fight that not many people care about. It reminded me so much of Shogun vs Machida 1; just two high level dudes fighting their best fight w/out overextending so much of their abilities.

Also izzy dropped rob in the first round off a clean jab to the chin so theres that.

Didn’t see Stylebender in ANY danger at any point in the fight.

Also, when you swing and MISS that scores for your opponent.

Rob was putting up airballs all night, looked sloppy and desperate trying to close the distance.

THIS IS THE SAME GUY that ran through cannonaire, beat a high level till and smoked KG……

Should tell you all you need to know. He looks great against everyone else….average against Stylebender.

Y’all gotta watch with the right lens, just because someone doesn’t physically dominate the fight doesn’t mean they aren’t dominating the fight, catch what I’m saying…

Stylebender has guys thinking so much in there they don’t fight like their usual selves and get picked apart trying NOT to get knocked out.

It’s just as much mental in there if not more…stylebender got doods already beat before they even step in there with him.

Remind me of someone 🕷

I'm going to rewatch the fight later today but at the time I was watching it, it felt like Robbed didn't fully commit to finishing some off some of the combos because he was scared to get KO'ed by Izzy

KG has been the only one to fight stylebender not scared and in turn, he almost beat him.

He didn’t give a **** and stayed in the pocket all night, CLASSIC WAR.

KG chin gave out first but stylebender was ready to go too though KG had him rocked with that headkick BAD

And I just want to add even though his record might not reflect it…..

Kelvin is an absolute BEAST

He’s a tweener….between 70 and 85. He’s too short for 85 but too wide for 70….but dood fights anyone he don’t care and he always bring it.

Company man for sure.

KG has been the only one to fight stylebender not scared and in turn, he almost beat him.

He didn’t give a **** and stayed in the pocket all night, CLASSIC WAR.

KG chin gave out first but stylebender was ready to go too though KG had him rocked with that headkick BAD

I remember seeing it live and seeing KG land that and thought it was over

Stylebender has guys thinking so much in there they don’t fight like their usual selves and get picked apart trying NOT to get knocked out.

It’s just as much mental in there if not more…stylebender got doods already beat before they even step in there with him.

Remind me of someone 🕷

And like Anderson it's going to take a similar skillset / game plan to get him out of there.

I'm thinking a prime Weidman or Rockhold... but i'm not aware of anybody in the top 15 currently who has that kind of size & grappling??

I'm going to rewatch the fight later today but at the time I was watching it, it felt like Robbed didn't fully commit to finishing some off some of the combos because he was scared to get KO'ed by Izzy
Rob did not want to play lead in the fight at all. Man's refused to throw his power straight cause Izzy kept showing him the same right hook that slept him. Didn't even want to throw his usual feint 1-2, headkick at all. Think he only threw that roundhouse naked or behind jabs.

Rob decided to just double jab all night. Which I guess worked in its own way but wasn't going to be enough.

I remember seeing it live and seeing KG land that and thought it was over
Man what a treat to be in the house, witnessed a classic.

🔥🔥🔥

Izzy clearly so far ahead of the division, he’s going against the record books now. If he can put together a long run……man he’s already at 5 defense’s.

Just keep lining em up at 185, collect your checks and keep building your profile. The jones fight is still alive, a chance for double champ status is still alive. He’s got options.

Back
Top Bottom