The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

AJ said this is his last fight at FW. I think Burnell puts up a good fight against Pitbull. AJ, not so much. Don't think anyone in the promotion can touch him or even got the potential to.

AJ said this is his last fight at FW. I think Burnell puts up a good fight against Pitbull. AJ, not so much. Don't think anyone in the promotion can touch him or even got the potential to.
Yeah AJ doesn't sound too committal to 145. But I don't think he outright said it's his last fight for sure, he just had a long interview with MMAFighting explaining his thought process

He said there's nobody of real interest outside of Burnells and Borics

Boric looks in phenomenal shape though. Could tell hes been putting in that work with all the elite Sanford folks. Even mixing up trips and throws now.

I really believe that Pico had that potential but he wasn't coached properly to begin his Bellator career

If he had developed with Jacksons to start I think he would give AJ a great fight

But in reality I don't think they're gonna cross paths and like we've talked about their relationship gets in the way. IF Coker offered a huge pay day I think they would though

When AJ leaves, imo Pico will become champ at some point

I really believe that Pico had that potential but he wasn't coached properly to begin his Bellator career

If he had developed with Jacksons to start I think he would give AJ a great fight

But in reality I don't think they're gonna cross paths and like we've talked about their relationship gets in the way. IF Coker offered a huge pay day I think they would though

When AJ leaves, imo Pico will become champ at some point
His manager and Bellator matchmaking straight stunted his career too. They fed him to the fire when he was only 5 pro fights in. They should've brought him up like they did AJ.

That was impressive as hell from Borics. Able to adjust mid fight and finish strong. Thought he was done after the way he looked from the liver shots in the 3rd.

Burnells boxing is slick as hell for a grappler. That left body-head hook combo was vicious

Chimaev steady going at everyone neck

Izzy and Usman for sure... Ali can't be pleased lol, especially after whatever happened with Khabib and his boys

More context

“I don’t know him, but the first interaction that I had with him was because he was arguing with Guram Kutateladze,” Topuria told MMA Junkie in Spanish. “I’m not really sure why or what they were talking about, and all of the sudden I read something I think like, ‘Now I know why Russia bombed Georgia. You guys are a bunch of idiots.’

“So my reaction to someone taking this like a joke when in that war many innocent people died – we’re talking about children and people who had nothing to do with that. So for someone to laugh at that, and it’s also a painful subject for me because family members of mine died in that war and many countrymen of mine. So it’s not something that pleases me and from there everything started.

“And what can I say about someone who pokes fun at that? He’s an idiot and immature. If he thinks I’m going to take a step back when I see him, then he’s badly mistaken. He needs to pray that we don’t cross paths because I’ll go crazy.”

“Of course (I want that fight),” Topuria said. “With a lot of honor and pride for all my people, I would love it. The truth is that I would love it. Because if you think about it, if I catch him outside of the octagon, I’m going to hand him a beating, and I’m going to have to pay is recovery. This way, if he accepts a fight with me, I’m going to crack his head, and I’d get paid for beating him up.”

Well that confirms it... Paddy will be protected by Dana at all costs and get a lot more exposure

Wasn’t impressed with either Paddy or Garry in their debuts
I am somewhat in agreement

Garry however is still extremely green, it was his 8th pro fight and was only 23

Paddy on the other hand is a vet. He’s lost before and has been said to be vulnerable before his ufc debut. Not good

paddy is terrible.

reminds me of Kevin Lee in a way.... everythings there but the fighting abilities haha

I wouldn't say never but maybe not the very next fight. Dana does love him some cash cows

But Paddy seems like the type to make it happen against better judgement or anything else, I legit think he would take the fight and force it to happen

We gotta see how they both do on Saturday

I'm as big a fan of Topuria as there is and I'm hella curious how he performs up at 155

Paddy turned down the Jared Gordon fight for this weekend. Said his contract should be different if he's going to up the level of comp. Which is pretty smart but means he ain't stepping up the comp til he renews.

I like Jai as a fighter, looked promising in CW. Has had a rough start in the UFC and a rough matchup against Topuria. He does have a huge reach and height advantage over Topuria that could really give him some problems though.

Paddy turned down the Jared Gordon fight for this weekend. Said his contract should be different if he's going to up the level of comp. Which is pretty smart but means he ain't stepping up the comp til he renews.

I like Jai as a fighter, looked promising in CW. Has had a rough start in the UFC and a rough matchup against Topuria. He does have a huge reach and height advantage over Topuria that could really give him some problems though.
Yeah Paddy and Sugar and these guys are smartening up

Should be noted that Gordon is a veteran with over 20 pro fights, Topuria has 11 (albeit undefeated)

So there's a bit of a difference there, just saying. We have no clue how Paddy perceives Topuria in terms of level of competition but 11 pro fights is def still considered a prospect

I'm also in the camp that they'll bring up Paddy slowly and even if he gets an impressive W this weekend I expect his next couple fights to be against newcomers or guys they think he'll look good against. I'd doubt he fights a true prospect or top 15 type until his contract is renewed/restructured.

Looking forward to the card this weekend, I believe its the first Fight Night to be held outside of the Apex or Jacksonville since the pandemic hit the U.S. . The Aspinall fight should show us if he's a legit HW contender and a big win could put him another fight away from a potential shot (though with Francis out 9 months who knows if they make another HW interim this year).

Allen also looks to be a great prospect and a win Saturday should give him a big fight against a top 5 guy next time out.

Back
Top Bottom