The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

This isn’t going to change Jack crap tbh

Until something major happens collectively against the machine that is the ufc- it’s going to remain the same

One off fighters like Francis, maybe even a champ or two may leave. But overall the landscape ain’t changing because of this. It’s like not even a baby step
Collectively, sure. But it’s a positive win for fighter pay. And like I said, Conor is up next. It will affect how some folks negotiate going forward. Or whom they negotiate with. Bellator, BKFC, etc we’re probably pull the old UFC contract okie doke. The bigger issue has to get resolved by the monopoly trial or Ali act.
I have doubts this will do anything to make the pfl suddenly become a house hold staple

I get the excitement and optimism for Francis and that “he stuck it to the ufc” but I don’t see how this is moving the needle for the pfl

Great win for Francis and whomever he fights for sure
I don’t disagree or agree. It’s too early to say.

We don’t know what’s up with Kayla Harrison in the new PPV model. We don’t know what’s up with Jake Paul besides a video here or there. And Francis isn’t fighting until next year.

I was surprised Cyborg resigned to Bellator.

But the point is, PFL is posturing to make a move to become a clear #2. Will they? Who knows. But it’s better than what Bellator got going on right now.

BKFC is making wave and buzz. At this point, it’s all about streaming rights. The more buzz/$$$ you make the higher an ESPN, DAZN, etc will pay for it. Bellator got dropped by DAZN. The few PPVs they tried bombed. And it sounds like Viacom wants to sell them.

The Touch of Death aka Lineal Champ won. He making money and his opponent going to make money.

What makes pfl better than bellator

Are they making more money than them or something

Talent wise they aren’t superior, not one bit

I don’t think many of us can even name more than 5-7 pfl fighters nor name all of the champions nor name more than 1 other heavyweight

We'd all rather have Francis in the UFC with a fight booked against JJ but that appears like a huge longshot of ever happening now.

If Francis is able to box anyone with name value by the fall I see this deal with PFL as a win considering all the concessions being made in his deal. There aren't any decent HWs to fight in PFL but who knows if they lure anyone of value by early next year.

What makes pfl better than bellator

Are they making more money than them or something

Talent wise they aren’t superior, not one bit

I don’t think many of us can even name more than 5-7 pfl fighters nor name all of the champions nor name more than 1 other heavyweight
Bro. I never said PFL is “better” than Bellator.

Talent wise, Bellator is better. AJ McKee, Pitbull, Pitbull, Patchy Mixx, Rafael Stotxz (sp), Fabian Edwards (maybe), Nemkov, Johnny Eblen, Sergio Pettis, Amosov, Cyborg, Corey Anderson, Bader, Juan Archuleta, MVP, etc. I could probably list three dozen or so quality fighters.

But signing Francis is about making a move to claim #2. PFL has a deal with ESPN. They really don’t have the fighters…the allure is more in the annual league like tournament. The Francis “bet” is more in setting up interest or viewers in their new PPV model. The long term goal is to increase the PFL name and help lead to a lucrative streaming deal.

Again, no one is saying PFL is better than Bellator. But at the same time, Bellator isn’t doing themselves any favors either. They’re happy with the status quo and being safe. I think they should’ve signed Francis. He could’ve killed Bader, Kongo, etc.

PFL?

seem like a step backwards TBH

Bellator is the clear cut #2, ONE FC #3....and then the rest.

Not interested in seeing Francis knock out cab drivers in the PFL TBH

The only names worth fighting in boxing are Andy Ruiz, Wilder, Ortiz, Fury or Joshua and I believe they are all booked up expect Fury.

But the point is, PFL is posturing to make a move to become a clear #2. Will they? Who knows. But it’s better than what Bellator got going on right now.
Bro. I never said PFL is “better” than Bellator.

Talent wise, Bellator is better. AJ McKee, Pitbull, Pitbull, Patchy Mixx, Rafael Stotxz (sp), Fabian Edwards (maybe), Nemkov, Johnny Eblen, Sergio Pettis, Amosov, Cyborg, Corey Anderson, Bader, Juan Archuleta, MVP, etc. I could probably list three dozen or so quality fighters.

But signing Francis is about making a move to claim #2. PFL has a deal with ESPN. They really don’t have the fighters…the allure is more in the annual league like tournament. The Francis “bet” is more in setting up interest or viewers in their new PPV model. The long term goal is to increase the PFL name and help lead to a lucrative streaming deal.

Again, no one is saying PFL is better than Bellator. But at the same time, Bellator isn’t doing themselves any favors either. They’re happy with the status quo and being safe. I think they should’ve signed Francis. He could’ve killed Bader, Kongo, etc.
Idk what you meant by that then but I don’t agree with pfl being better than bellator in anyway unless you consider being on espn a one up

PFL?

seem like a step backwards TBH

Bellator is the clear cut #2, ONE FC #3....and then the rest.

Not interested in seeing Francis knock out cab drivers in the PFL TBH

The only names worth fighting in boxing are Andy Ruiz, Wilder, Ortiz, Fury or Joshua and I believe they are all booked up expect Fury.
I hate that this is making it seem like we’re crapping on Francis cuz I’m not

But the reaction to this has been beyond whats actually reality

Everyone so happy that Francis won, and rightfully so

But people be adding all these extras on it, people that I respect

I just pray that if he does somehow get a big name in boxing- which as you said everyone is booked- that he doesn’t get demolished to the point it hurts his mma stock

Saying you the baddest man on earth and then getting starched by a boxer don’t add up

Imo he should take a boxing match that he can definitely win while the big names do their thing first

Idk what you meant by that then but I don’t agree with pfl being better than bellator in anyway unless you consider being on espn a one up
Why are you getting tied up with apples to oranges comparison?

I already said Bellator has a better roster of fighters. That’s not what this is about. You posted an Ant Evans tweet that explained why PFL signing Francis is a big deal. You’re looking at now. Everyone is looking at later.

I hate that this is making it seem like we’re crapping on Francis cuz I’m not

But the reaction to this has been beyond whats actually reality

Everyone so happy that Francis won, and rightfully so

But people be adding all these extras on it, people that I respect

I just pray that if he does somehow get a big name in boxing- which as you said everyone is booked- that he doesn’t get demolished to the point it hurts his mma stock

Saying you the baddest man on earth and then getting starched by a boxer don’t add up

Imo he should take a boxing match that he can definitely win while the big names do their thing first
As far as boxing goes…this contract just keeps his options open. But let’s be real…he getting torched. Now if these boxing contracts stipulated MMA fight and boxing fight…it wouldn’t be so bad. But Francis isn’t in a position to do that. HW boxing is “hot” right now and many of the big names have options versus take a freak show fight unless they’re looking for a free check. Joshua, Wilder, Fury, and Usyk all chasing championships or legacies. And it’s a steep skill divide. Fury been boxing all his life. He’d embarrass Francis. He already had the touch of death trilogy fight with Wilder.

And I get it, we’re all fans. We’re selfish and want to see Francis fight Jon. And as a consumer we want to be fed now. So this news may not be completely apparent how this changes the MMA landscape (especially since PFL hasn’t done PPVs or has huge HW division).

I’m just going off what you said brodie lol- I’m not sure what pfl is doing better outside of the Francis thing

The Jake Paul thing is circus act and who knows when or if he even steps in

This is 100% why the UFC wouldn't let him box.

It would destroy his brand.

Have you even seen him box? He's TERRIBLE.....

Glad he got paid but I'm not buying the "this is going to change how fighters negotiate" going forward angle.

I feel like his management team publicized the narrative surroundings his negotiations about "equal fighter pay" "health benifits/coverage" "revenue sharing" so they could have favorable optics when negotiating with the UFC and make Dana look like the bad guy if they didnt get a deal done.

Yet....I dont see any of that in the PFL deal....

This is 100% why the UFC wouldn't let him box.

It would destroy his brand.

Have you even seen him box? He's TERRIBLE.....

Glad he got paid but I'm not buying the "this is going to change how fighters negotiate" going forward angle.

I feel like his management team publicized the narrative surroundings his negotiations about "equal fighter pay" "health benifits/coverage" "revenue sharing" so they could have favorable optics when negotiating with the UFC and make Dana look like the bad guy if they didnt get a deal done.

Yet....I dont see any of that in the PFL deal....
Yeah exactly, weird narratives are brewing now

Francis got his bag and got a few of his opponents bags- that’s amazing

But the reality of what this means and what most likely will happen isn’t going to really do much if at all for the sport

Him getting murked in boxing ain’t a good look- conor at least went up against a pillow hands old Floyd. He may have also been carried a bit by Floyd lol

Floyd carried him 100% but conor probably had the best boxing in all of MMA at the time so it made sense.

Francis just be throwing overhands and praying they connect, there is no science in his hand game.

Poirier vs. Gaethje 2 for the BMF title
Blachowicz vs Poatan
Costa vs. Aliskerov
Tony Ferguson vs. Bobby Green

all confirmed for UFC 291 in SLC

O' Malley vs. Aljo and Zhang vs. Lemos set for 292 Aug 19th
Lmao at the timing of the news

Ufc keeps ticking

This is seriously great ****, costa vs ok ram is crazzyyyyyy

Reactions: OTG
Dustin Poirier vs Justin Gaethje for the BMF title
Jan Blachowicz vs Alex Pereira
Paulo Costa vs Ikram Aliskerov
Tony Ferguson vs Bobby Green

all confirmed for UFC 291 in SLC

O' Malley vs Aljo and Zhang vs Lemos set for UFC 292 Aug 19th

SLC must be throwing bags at UFC!!

Not a bad card (but it’s really a fight night in the old Fox days).

Back
Top Bottom