The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

So the irish fella has something in common with kanye except werdum does it to him and not amber.

More like werdum fantasizing about getting his fingers smelly

Wonderboy start displaying head movement and maybe I'll see the spider comparison but not really right now

Wonderboy is the white Machida. With better hands. And faster. And more fluid kicks it looks like. His standup is on point.

Wonderboy is the white Machida. With better hands. And faster. And more fluid kicks it looks like. His standup is on point.

Now that is an assessment I can agree with based on their styles and karate backgrounds.

Still amazes me at how good shape Machida has been in during his time in the UFC after being so fat and sloppy early on in Japan.

To be fair, I think it has a lot to do with him being lanky and throwing his funky Karate kicks.

Let's be real, Anderson Silva is not and was never a legitimate Thai boxer. That's just something the UFC liked to say because he was from Chute Boxe. Chute Boxe is like a glorified TKD version of Muay Thai.
well said! I dont think the casual MMA fan can differentiate, but you nailed it. I always saw Anderson's style more of a combo of TKD and boxing.

It's the same thing with "dutch thai boxing". Its origins have little to do with real muay thai. It was kyokushin guys that started it and integrated more boxing into their style.

speaking of kyokushin, i want to see more kyokushin/kyokushin-offshoot guys in MMA. uriah hall, GSP, bas rutten..we need more. 
nerd.gif

Last edited:
Why can't Wonderboy be the white Wonderboy?

:lol: I suppose we could do that. I said white machida because somebody said white anderson, it ain't a big deal tho. I actually really liked the nickname "black Fedor" for Cormier back when he was a heavyweight in strikeforce.

Now that is an assessment I can agree with based on their styles and karate backgrounds.

Still amazes me at how good shape Machida has been in during his time in the UFC after being so fat and sloppy early on in Japan.

Yeah I just watched that Machida vs BJ fight a little while ago, Machida was definitely eating good then. BJ even moreso.

I still don't see the comparison as Wonderboy background is Kempo and Machida is Shotokan

Wonderboy doesn't seem to feint and sit and wait to counter as much as machida. Which is awesome

Wonderboy is really unique don't think he compares to guys before him

Last edited:
I still don't see the comparison as Wonderboy background is Kempo and Machida is Shotokan

They both look to stay in that same long distance kicking range during fights, bait opponents into overreaching and then counter, or time the opponents offense and intercept with strikes and then circle out. It's the same in and out point style of karate, very similar styles. Wonderboy is more aggressive though.

Rothwell wouldve definitely been a winnable fight for JDS back in the day with his volume and movement. I don't know now though, he hasn't looked great in awhile, should be interesting to see where they're both at.

Last edited:
lol wtf is the gameplan for big ben?

basically gotta stand up with him.....

I think ben can win if he takes his time, waits for his moment...he could give up a round or 2 doing so....but if he can get his hands on cigano..he can tap him or KO him...

rooting for ben

And cerrone bout to smack the ink off this dood oliveria's tattoo...lol oliveris is nice but cowboy just better man, levels......oliveria still wet

its no secret cerrone is susceptible to the body shots so if oliveria can get in there who knows....

smart money on cerrone though....

its more of a marketable fight than a competitive one in my opinion....

Last edited:
lol wtf is the gameplan for big ben?

View media item 1902654

I don't think many current heavyweights can pull that one off though, even the current version of Arlovski. I think Werdum and Cain beat him but otherwise he's a problem for everybody else. Big, durable, hits hard and he's got sneaky quick hands, skilled dude. Actually I think if Hunt hasn't fallen off too bad and he could keep it standing he could pull out the decision. Stipe too.

well said! I dont think the casual MMA fan can differentiate, but you nailed it. I always saw Anderson's style more of a combo of TKD and boxing.

It's the same thing with "dutch thai boxing". Its origins have little to do with real muay thai. It was kyokushin guys that started it and integrated more boxing into their style.

speaking of kyokushin, i want to see more kyokushin/kyokushin-offshoot guys in MMA. uriah hall, GSP, bas rutten..we need more. :nerd:  

Andy Souwer fought an MMA fight in Japan around New Year's, don't think he will actually transition fully to MMA though. He is most def the epitome of the Dutch style. Solid boxing and low kicks with a head kick thrown in here and there.

Shootboxing is "standing vale tudo" allowing for throws and standing submissions and he is a multi time champ there.

Last edited:
Wonderboy doesn't seem to feint and sit and wait to counter as much as machida. Which is awesome

Wonderboy is really unique don't think he compares to guys before him

Machida is far more tentative as well. His counter-striking used to be second to none but he has really regressed in that aspect.

Wonderboy was hitting Hendricks as soon as Hendricks was thinking about throwing, son was reading Big Rig like a book.

I don't really get this Rothwell/JDS fight but I'm intrigued.

Back
Top Bottom