The NBA Draft Thread

What is the point of DX updating their mock if they aren't going to take team needs into consideration?

If I had to guess right now, I think the lotto would look like this-

1. BOS- Fultz
2. LAL- Ball
3. PHX- Jackson
4. ORL- Smith
5. PHI- Monk
6. SAC- Tatum
7. SAC- Fox
8. MIN- Isaac
9. NYK- Ntilikina
10. DAL- Markkanen
11. POR- Bridges
12. CHA- Collins
13. MIL- Giles
14. MIA- Williams

If I had to guess right now, I think the lotto would look like this-

1. BOS- Fultz
2. LAL- Ball
3. PHX- Jackson
4. ORL- Smith
5. PHI- Monk
6. SAC- Tatum
7. SAC- Fox
8. MIN- Isaac
9. NYK- Ntilikina
10. DAL- Markkanen
11. POR- Bridges
12. CHA- Collins
13. MIL- Giles
14. MIA- Williams
Can someone explain the situation with Sacramento? I'm a bit confused on which picks they will own taking into account protections

I got confused reading this article, the way it's worded throws me off:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/2/20/14668554/demarcus-cousins-kings-sixers-picks-swap-pelicans

Without Cousins, the Kings are a terrible team that will compete for the league’s worst record for the foreseeable future. But because of the Stauskas trade, their first-round pick this season and in 2019, will go to Philly. Sacramento will only receive the worst of the two picks this year.

Sacramento is going to plummet fast without Boogie or Rudy Gay, who is out for the year with an Achilles injury. That means Philly could be looking at another top-three pick in an incredible draft class. We can’t know for sure what that means now, but it could be the difference between a franchise cornerstone or not. Sixers fans can start rooting for wins again, because Sacramento is going to be doing the losing for them.

Last edited:
It's very hard to disagree with that list. The only anomaly I see is with Ball. His game is so unconventional, GMs might see red flags during the pre-draft workouts.

I can see the Lakers choosing Jackson over Ball which may lead to PHX choosing Isaac which will let ORL choose Ball. Everything can change. I can't wait fot eh draft to happen.

Outside of his shot what's so unconventional about Ball's game? He's running a wide open offense now which is becoming more vogue in the NBA by the game.

Outside of his shot what's so unconventional about Ball's game? He's running a wide open offense now which is becoming more vogue in the NBA by the game.
He rarely takes midrange shots

Rarely runs PnR (I don't have stats but it just appears this way)

I don't have stats, but in their system, I feel like Ball rarely has "traditional" point guard duties. He seems like more of an off guard if anything. On the next level it would be interesting to see him actually dribble the ball in the half court more than he has in college

None of these things are damning, but they're there

the guy doesn't take shots that's not a dunk or a three. How will he be able to create for teammates and get his own shots with different defensive schemes. Because of his form, he can't shoot over people, he steps back to create as much space as possible because it's easier to block close range. That will hurt his midrange game. I've seen him take one floater in college and it was awkward as hell (maybe that's just his form as well).

I am not saying that he is a bust in the making, I am just curious as to how well GMs think he will adjust to the NBA game.

Being a pass first pg now can be considered as unconventional him getting his shots off is tricky on how it will translate him not running a lot of pick and rolls him always playing that go go style how he'll translate in another offense is also hard to evaluate

So the modern NBA which has put less emphasis on the midrange than ever and more on paint points and 3s is going to be a problem for him? Interesting. I do realize that he doesn't run as much pick and roll ast UCLA. I think he'd be a beast in a wide open attack say in LA or PHX.

As for not having traditional PG duties, can you get any more traditional than Jason Kidd?

The mid range jumper is still essential for PGs that run PNR in the league. PFs too.

Everyone else, not so much.

True but Luke's ideal system that he took from GS isn't predicated as much on it as is ball movement and player movement.

He seems like he'd be a really good fit in the Lakers system. Especially next to another guard that can create.

The mid range jumper is still essential for PGs that run PNR in the league. PFs too.

Everyone else, not so much.

True but Luke's ideal system that he took from GS isn't predicated as much on it as is ball movement and player movement.

I agree.

But you gotta have the horses for that to be successful. I do like Ball in LAL. But y'all better get Larry sanders and his son to protect the rim.

Back
Top Bottom