The Oakland Athletics 2013 Season Thread

That was a pretty cool catch by Maxwell. Full extension.

Wish I was at the game tonight. Tickets were $4.20 for plaza outfield, because of Jackie Robinson Day. On another point, I still have to see the movie. I heard it's really good.

Naw. I have DIsh. I'm going to check if I have that channel. I checked on my magnet, and it just had CSN.

Last edited:
Minus whale get these wins off against the Astros 
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

11-4, guys. Most wins in the AL. Best run differential in the AL. Best offense in the AL.

If we can win our upcoming series against the Rays and the Red Sox, I am going to be dizzy.

The A's have put Parrino, Sogard, Peterson, Freiman, and Mike Taylor in their lineup the last 2 days and have won both games. The Astros are a mockery of a franchise.

I'm headed to the game tomorrow. I think my goal for this year will be to make it to at least one game during every homestand. I went to the first two games of the season and we lost them both, I will not having a losing attendance record this year :lol:

I wish I could go to the game tomorrow. Wednesday afternoon games are always fun.

But to the games: dang.... Houston sucks. These are the games the A's have to take advantage of. Always good to see a W.

Glad we got the win today. Let's take care of business again tomorrow before we head out east.

You guys remember in 2006 when we went, like 18-1 against the Mariners or something like that? That was awesome :lol:

I'm bored so here are some random thoughts about the team. :lol:

Offense:

This offense is looking real solid.

Melvin has done a great job at maxing out potential out of the catcher position. Moss has looked solid at 1B. Lowrie has been amazing at SS. Donaldson has played well enough to stick around at 3rd. I'm still hoping Weeks can get healthy and return to rookie form to take over 2nd base, if not not we'll just have to take turns with the likes of Sogard, Parrino and maybe Nakajima when healthy or even Grant Green if he does well in Sac.

Seth Smith and Coco have played great baseball so far. I'm not too concerned about Ces, as long as he can stay healthy, I'm sure he will come around.

My biggest concerns are Young and Reddick. Both have looked horrible at the plate. Reddick plays amazing defense in RF so I say he has got to start, but man he's got to start hitting at least a little.

Pitching:

The starting pitching hasn't been great and there is plenty of room for improvement right now. I really like the back end of the rotation (Milone-Colon-Griffin) but the the front end has been troublesome. As long as Anderson is healthy, he is a front of the rotation guy, but if he wants to become an ace, he's got to start start beating guys like Verlander, Price, Felix, etc. Obviously that depends on our offense also, but I want to see more from Anderson on those days.

Parker is a huge concern right now. If this team wants to go deep into the playoffs, he is going to have to pitch like he did last year. He looked horrible in ST and it has carried into the regular season. I hope he can get out of this funk because if not, our pitching could be in trouble

The bullpen has been very good.

Defense:

Defense has to improve. This is an average team at best in terms of defense. Got to cut down on errors.

I'm bored so here are some random thoughts about the team. :lol:

Offense:

This offense is looking real solid.

Melvin has done a great job at maxing out potential out of the catcher position. Moss has looked solid at 1B. Lowrie has been amazing at SS. Donaldson has played well enough to stick around at 3rd. I'm still hoping Weeks can get healthy and return to rookie form to take over 2nd base, if not not we'll just have to take turns with the likes of Sogard, Parrino and maybe Nakajima when healthy or even Grant Green if he does well in Sac.

Seth Smith and Coco have played great baseball so far. I'm not too concerned about Ces, as long as he can stay healthy, I'm sure he will come around.

My biggest concerns are Young and Reddick. Both have looked horrible at the plate. Reddick plays amazing defense in RF so I say he has got to start, but man he's got to start hitting at least a little.

Pitching:

The starting pitching hasn't been great and there is plenty of room for improvement right now. I really like the back end of the rotation (Milone-Colon-Griffin) but the the front end has been troublesome. As long as Anderson is healthy, he is a front of the rotation guy, but if he wants to become an ace, he's got to start start beating guys like Verlander, Price, Felix, etc. Obviously that depends on our offense also, but I want to see more from Anderson on those days.

Parker is a huge concern right now. If this team wants to go deep into the playoffs, he is going to have to pitch like he did last year. He looked horrible in ST and it has carried into the regular season. I hope he can get out of this funk because if not, our pitching could be in trouble

The bullpen has been very good.

Defense:

Defense has to improve. This is an average team at best in terms of defense. Got to cut down on errors.

Have zero complaints about the offense. It's been outstanding for most of our games so far this season, bailing out our pitching in multiple games. Anderson I figure will get it going at some point, though I doubt I'll ever believe in him becoming a true ace.

Parker has me very, very concerned, especially since people like to say that pitchers in the second go-around often struggle. Milone ( :rolleyes ) and Griffen are doing what they should be in their spots in the rotation, though, so Griffin needs to talk to them about shaking off his struggles in their sophomore year.

I don't expect Bartolo to be in the rotation by season's end. Straily is killing right now in the minors, his potential will become undeniable when summer comes, especially if the front of the rotation continues to be wobbly. Someone will get taken out, and I'm going to guess that it will be Bartolo's fastball throwing self that's marooned.

Defensively, I expect much more. Sure, some of the guys are playing out of position and there's some time expected for them to get better, but we have too many great defenders on this team that should still be solid even if they're somewhere else. Chris Young should NOT be making mistakes in right field if he's a defensive stud in a much harder spot at center.

Sometimes I forget Nakajima is still around, he hasn't even had an MLB at-bat yet. I don't have much confidence in him, but it would be so great if he could come in and play short and hit .250+. If not, I still want to see Weeks get his fair shot.

Possible lineup in a month:

1. Coco CF
2. Lowrie 2B/SS
3. Cespedes LF
4. Moss 1B
5. Jaso/Norris C
6. Reddick RF
7. Donaldson 3B
8. Smith/Young DH
9. Nakajima SS

That lineup is filthy.*

*when healthy

Last edited:
Nakajima :smh:

Wish Weeks could keep his head out of his *** permanently, he belongs on this roster given what he's capable of doing and has done at the major league level.

And I NEED Reddick to give up the streakiness and become consistent. You can't be that inconsistent, it's self-destructive (especially since he gets so angry at himself when he doesn't pull through). He needs to give Phil Jackson a ring and discover his own zen.

Back
Top Bottom